PDA

View Full Version : FAT CAMP (Fitness / Weight Loss / Diet / Exercise / Healthy Cooking MegaThread)

Pages : [1] 2

Will
03-03-2013, 2:37pm
Welcome to.....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/fatchick1_zps92c1a2ff.gif ~~ Vette Barn Fat Camp ~~ http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/FatGuy_zps298cde4d.gif

Are you "big-boned" ?

Have you successfully identified all eleven herbs and spices in the colonel's secret recipe?

Do members of the opposite sex stare at you for all the wrong reasons?

Have you finally slammed your Cheeto-encrusted fists on the table and decided to do something about it?

Then this is the thread for you!!! Whether you made the decision today, a week ago, or a year(s) ago.

Share your progress, ask for tips/help, share healthy meal/recipe ideas, angrily debate low carb vs. low calorie vs. low fat, etc., etc., etc.

Just don't **** up the thread, OK?

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/FatThumbsUp_zps5d6fcbb9.gif

Will
Helpful Links:

MyFitnessPal.com (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/) --- Track Your Weight, Macronutrients, Exercies, Measurements, etc. Super easy to use and Will Approved.

Physics Diet (http://www.physicsdiet.com/Default.aspx) --- Freaking out over fluctuations? Plateaus? USE THIS. Just enter your weight each day, and it automatically compiles a chart with actual weights, moving average line, and a trend line. Also estimates your daily calorie deficits, etc. based on !!! SCIENCE !!!

Gary Taubes (http://garytaubes.com/) --- "Why We Get Fat" and "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. CyberCowboy Approved.

Lose It (http://www.loseit.com/) --- App that lets you track your calories, budget food, etc. DAB and Need-A-Vette Approved.

Will
Vette Barn Fat Camp Success Stories:

http://badges.myfitnesspal.com/badges/show/3909/1989/39091989.weight-lost-md.gif

Really watching my calories and using the myfitnesspal app on my smartphone. I started out at 215 pounds. As of yesterday I weighed in at 176 lbs . . . . If I tighten my stomach muscles I can see the beginnings of a six pack!

291 to . . . 245

Went from 230 to 189. I still eat like shit all the time and drink like a pig but I run/swim/bike/row everyday. Exercise has helped immensely with stress.

Down in the 180's myself

I weighed 315 . . . in February. I started walking every night . . . in March up until November . . . I was down to 260 at that time. I . . . picked up about 10lbs over the holidays . . . my goal is to get to down 220 by Christmas.

216 . . . . Down from 225

I'm down to 195 !!:hurray: 5 more pounds to my 1st goal. My ultimate is 185.

I'm at 210 lbs, down 15 lbs from the beginning. Onward and downward!

down 45 lbs in about 8 months.... started with p90x then insanity now a lot of running....don't eat out hardly at all and cut portions and snacks

I'm down almost 20 lbs and 10" combined. I also feel great and have plenty of energy

sanchez
03-03-2013, 2:40pm
Great thread! I'm traveling or work this week so I need to stay motivated to keep working out and not eating shitty food.

Broken Wind
03-03-2013, 3:10pm
I may as well fess up.

At age 56, I finally find myself in a position that I have to take active measures to keep myself leaner than my hedonistic self wants to be.

For the majority of my adult life, I was about 160 dripping wet, and trying everything in sight to gain bulk and weight. I retired from the .mil 7 years ago and went to shit. I am currently sporting 223 lbs and my goal is 175. I bought a hybrid bike in early Jan and have been thrashing myself with it as weather has allowed thus far this year. In fact, I just returned from a 13 mile ride that featured 20 mph headwinds. I'm a bit toasted at the moment.

I'm watching what I eat, counting calories for the first time in my life. I will achieve my weight goal, because I want to.

Will
03-03-2013, 3:21pm
My goal is 175. I bought a hybrid bike in early Jan and have been thrashing myself with it as weather has allowed thus far this year. In fact, I just returned from a 13 mile ride that featured 20 mph headwinds . . . watching what I eat, counting calories for the first time in my life. I will achieve my weight goal, because I want to.

Congrats. Just keep on trucking.

:cert:

DAB
03-03-2013, 3:21pm
5 days in the ICU with a weak heart tends to get your attention focused on what is important in life.

i'm not going to brag or preach. my doctor advised to avoid sodium and lose weight. 1 lb a week is 50 lbs in a year.

we have dumped prepared foods, way too high in sodium and cals. cooking more from scratch, cutting out junk foods (no more bags of M&Ms and root beers for a snack), smaller portions, and light to moderate exercising has worked for me.

used to wear 44 waist jeans, and they were tight. now i'm in 42s, and they fall down without a belt.

no one can make you do what you don't want to do, it has to come from within. and i'm not on a diet, i've changed my lifestyle.

:DAB:

Will
03-03-2013, 3:28pm
This is the Protein Powder I use:

Amazon.com: Metrx Ultramyosyn Whey, Chocolate, 5 Pounds: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dGX-1QKiL.@@AMEPARAM@@51dGX-1QKiL

It's not advertised as low carb, but it actually is. It also mixes well with just a spoon as long as you mix it in something other than water. I mix it with 8 ounces of dark chocolate almond milk, which will account for about 1/2 of my daily carbs.

Best powder I've tried yet, going to stick with it. Right now I'm using cookies & cream, next tub I'm going to go with chocolate because my grocer doesn't carry chocolate almond milk in sugar free. Going to switch to the sugar free Vanilla almond milk to reduce carbs further. Will also reduce calories enough to allow me to add a second scoop of protein.

VetteBoy1979
03-03-2013, 5:54pm
F*ck it, I'll jump in. Doc says I need to lose 50lbs. Will start Monday. I should go by 2 ribeyes for tonight. :slap::dance:

Will
03-03-2013, 7:28pm
So I guess I should share too.

Current weight - 222 lbs.

The pic in my profile is of me at 215 lbs.

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/image.php?u=745&dateline=1294724545&type=profile

Most of the 7 lbs. difference is showing up in my face and belly right now.

I've always been built like a linebacker, but usually a linebacker who has been retired a few years and has put on a pot belly.

I have a HUGE consistency problem. I'll workout and eat like a fanatic for 6 months, then fall off the wagon for 1-2 years and not workout and not watch what I eat at all.

Fell off the wagon early in 2012. Started working out again in December, haven't really lost any weight though because I learned how to bake in December as well.

I've never been "cut" in my life. I want to try. I guesstimate I'll need to get under 200 lbs. to even show some small signs of being toned. So on TxAg's advice I signed up for MyFitnessPal.

I have my daily goal set at 1500 calories, and my macronutrient split at 15% carbs, 25% protein, 60% fat. As I get into the swing of things and get over the initial 2-4 weeks junky-getting-clean phase, I'll up the protein and lower the fat.

15% carbs is putting me at 60g, which is moderately low-carb. Most of that is not sugar though, looks like I'll come in at around 10-12g of sugar a day based on some regular consumption items. I've tried ketosis-inducing low carb, like 20g or less, but never moderate plus calorie restriction. We'll see how this goes. According to the generic weight vs. maintenaince vs. caloried deficit math, I should drop from 222 lbs as of this morning to weighing in at 217 lbs. in 3 weeks. So if I lose 5 lbs in 3 weeks, I'll stick with this plan. If not, back to the drawing board for some adjustment.

Currently workout ~2.5 days per week (2 days off between sessions). Once the weather warms and I can take Jasper outside for extended periods of time, we'll go for walks on the off days.

I figure getting a thread going may help keep me on track.

:cert::cert::cert:

sanchez
03-04-2013, 10:57pm
Last February when I was done with graduate school I weighed in a 230. Not bad for someone that is 6'8". Sadly, I'm 5'8" and fat as ****.

So I started exercising. Rowing, swimming, biking, and running.

It sucked at first but now I'm into a groove.

I'm down to 189 and still have a way to go. But I didn't get fat all at once so I won't lose the weight all at once.

I ran 7.5 miles along hermosa and redondo beach tonight as felt great. A year ago, I had chest pain running for 5 minutes.

MrPeabody
03-04-2013, 11:04pm
Last February when I was done with graduate school I weighed in a 230. Not bad for someone that is 6'8". Sadly, I'm 5'8" and fat as ****.

So I started exercising. Rowing, swimming, biking, and running.

It sucked at first but now I'm into a groove.

I'm down to 189 and still have a way to go. But I didn't get fat all at once so I won't lose the weight all at once.

I ran 7.5 miles along hermosa and redondo beach tonight as felt great. A year ago, I had chest pain running for 5 minutes.

Good post. Now when you are found laying dead on the beach we'll know what happened.:seasix:

Will
03-06-2013, 1:16pm
Down from 222lbs. to 217.6 lbs as of this AM.

Hooray Water Weight!!!

Haven't totally eliminated carbs, but I am maximizing fiber and keeping sugar under 20g a day typically. Except for yesterday. My wife brought me a big fat double chocolate cookie from the hospital. Realized that while putting me over my sugar goal, it actually would not put my over my calorie goal for the day. So I ate it. Like a starved beast. Woke up weighing 1.4 lbs less than the previous morning anyway. :dance:

I'm the kind of person who will go nuts if I'm hungry in the evening, but has no trouble going hungry in the AM, so I'm experimenting with skipping breakfast and just having lunch, dinner, and a snack between the two. So far it's working out great and making is really easy to stay on track. I can make dinner that takes up half my daily calorie allowance and not get hungry afterwards before bed.

FYI Bacon & Eggs really is incredible diet food. Pam cooking spray, 2 Large Eggs, 3 strips of bacon, a mere 275 calories. Plenty of room left for snack and dinner.

As for snacks, these are awesome:

Blue Diamond Almonds Habanero BBQ, 1.5-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 24): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41lj-7%2BeZML.@@AMEPARAM@@41lj-7%2BeZML

Buying them in the snack size tubes is slightly more expensive, but worth the extra cost to me for super simple portion control. And they're awesome. Better than BBQ potato chips.

260 calories, a mere 8g carbs, only 3g of that sugar, and lots of healthy fat. :cert:

Yamma
03-06-2013, 1:19pm
I gained about 7 lbs. since last November - time to shed some weight for this spring and summer. I've been big into craft beers lately and blame that mostly for the gain. I'm definitely cutting back on those and making a serious effort to cut out other unnecessary carbs as well.

Excited about the time change on Saturday so I can attempt 'jogging' again after I get home from work.

Will
03-06-2013, 1:24pm
I'm stickying this thread. Seems there are more than a few of us who aren't naturally blessed bottomless pits who can eat everything in sight with no consequences.

DAB
03-06-2013, 2:49pm
1/4 cup Redenbackers popcorn (stuff in a jar, not the microwave stuff), 1 Tbsp cooking oil, large pan with lid over med heat on stove top. pop until done.

spray with butter spray, sprinkle with Chipolte seasonings.

low cal, no salt, tasty, filling. makes a great snack if you are on a low sodium plan. if you can do salt, knock yourself out. my doc says :nono:

Yamma
03-06-2013, 3:49pm
1/4 cup Redenbackers popcorn (stuff in a jar, not the microwave stuff), 1 Tbsp cooking oil, large pan with lid over med heat on stove top. pop until done.

spray with butter spray, sprinkle with Chipolte seasonings.

low cal, no salt, tasty, filling. makes a great snack if you are on a low sodium plan. if you can do salt, knock yourself out. my doc says :nono:

Heck yeah. I found this 'recipe' online about a year ago, and now I never buy microwaved popcorn anymore. This is way better for you, and you can season how you want it. :seasix:

I will say though - I didn't measure the first time I made it.....and I may have had a few beers. There was popcorn all over the damn kitchen. :rofl:

Grey Ghost
03-06-2013, 4:27pm
My cousin swears by ACV with the mother. It is very pungent. He mixes it with a glass of water. Wal-Mart even carries it in the store. But, you have to sure to choose 'with the mother'. He stopped eating bread of any type and focused on WHAT he was eating. With little to no exercise. He dropped 100lbs.

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar-with-the-mother.html)

Kerrmudgeon
03-06-2013, 6:47pm
I went from 338 a few years ago to 242 last summer, then I got injured and couldn't do much exercise, then winter hibernation came and I gained back 20 lbs!:cry: Funny how your appetite doesn't slow down as you do. :sneaks:

Started again today, boneless pork loin chop and a big salad for dinner. My goal is 225, which was my football/hockey weight in high school. :thumbs:

Good luck to everybody. You can do it! :yesnod:

Broken Wind
03-07-2013, 5:22am
My first real test happened this week when I was on business travel. I've never really concerned myself with what I was eating when dining with colleagues. I think I did pretty well, choosing food that wasn't loaded with calories and eating only what I thought were reasonable portions regardless of what was on the plate.

I'm using that app that TXAG mentioned in the other thread and it's really making me aware of what I'm eating. So far, I've been just at or under my daily calorie goal. I don't weigh myself every day, so I don't know where I stand yet. I'll get to that this weekend.

Will
03-07-2013, 7:40am
I'm using that app that TXAG mentioned in the other thread and it's really making me aware of what I'm eating.

Yeah, MyFitnessPal is pretty awesome. I especially like how you can save entire meals of ingredients to your foods, so you only have to do the work of putting it together once for regular meals, after that you just click one box to add it.

Due to illness (major allergy attack w/ sinus migraine and pink-eye) I haven't worked out in a week. Today will be my first day working out on the new diet.

Planning to actually eat breakfast, a fiber one bar, an hour before. Then after have a protein shake immediately, then after my shower have my eggs & bacon lunch.

Going to go over my carb goal for the day, but not calories. Want to make sure I have plenty of energy. Going to skip the pre- and post-workout creatine and see how I recover over the next 2 days.

sanchez
03-07-2013, 9:31am
Will, you'll feel better after a work out. Even a light one. I only ran 3.5 miles yesterday but just getting out felt awesome.

Will
03-07-2013, 9:52am
Will, you'll feel better after a work out. Even a light one. I only ran 3.5 miles yesterday but just getting out felt awesome.

Ugh. Too soon. Got 1/2 way through 1st of 3 sets. Sinus Migraine Strikes. Already took 2 Ibuprofen this AM. Just took 2 Extra Strength tylenol. Someone tell me some headache soothing home remedies. It feels like a semi-truck is parked on my forehead.

At least I'm losing weight while on full workout hiatus instead of getting fatter.

Yamma
03-07-2013, 12:13pm
I also use MyFitnessPal, and most days I remember to log what I eat. It's got me on 1200 cal. a day - which I usually go over by about 100-200. My biggest issue is that I sit for an hour in traffic, 8 hours at my desk, and another hour on the way home. My job is turning me into a sloth.

VetteBoy1979
03-07-2013, 1:03pm
Wow, already forgot about this :) jk

Haven't worked out yet, but been good this week about my intake. Sure wish I could have gotten a business class seat for my trip in 1.5 weeks. Arg.

LisaJohn
03-07-2013, 1:09pm
Have you tried Bayer migraine? I tried these after excedrin geltabs were pulled off the shelves. Put an ice pack on the back of your neck, lay down in a dark cool room.

Kerrmudgeon
03-07-2013, 1:10pm
I also use MyFitnessPal, and most days I remember to log what I eat. It's got me on 1200 cal. a day - which I usually go over by about 100-200. My biggest issue is that I sit for an hour in traffic, 8 hours at my desk, and another hour on the way home. My job is turning me into a sloth.

Maybe.....but a cute sloth. :yesnod:

sanchez
03-07-2013, 4:04pm
Ugh. Too soon. Got 1/2 way through 1st of 3 sets. Sinus Migraine Strikes. Already took 2 Ibuprofen this AM. Just took 2 Extra Strength tylenol. Someone tell me some headache soothing home remedies. It feels like a semi-truck is parked on my forehead.

At least I'm losing weight while on full workout hiatus instead of getting fatter.

It takes time to get back into shape an being ill of having a health issue sucks. Make sure to listen to your body and avoid injury. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself and be sidelined for a while. Hang in there

Ran 6.4 miles here in San Diego. They have this path that takes you through the shipyards. It's pretty industrial, great motivation o keep you pace up.

Now I have to behave for dinner and if all goes well when I get home I will at least not have gained a ton of weight this trip.

NEED-A-VETTE
03-07-2013, 8:28pm

Sex for headache relief. Gets the endorphins and such going. Serious. :cheers:

One of the reasons I like these apps is because I'm able to look back at what I've eaten over the week, not just earlier in the day. Having Celiac Disease, it's important for me to keep a log of the things I've eaten. So many foods and restaurants have things labeled as 'gluten free,' yet they still upset my stomach or make me feel generally bad/sluggish. (Sometimes through accidental cross contamination, for example.) By having a log, I'm able to identify these specific foods so that I don't eat them again.

Woody
03-07-2013, 9:39pm
Here's my boring story. I quit smoking in March 06. Moved to Hawaii in August 06. Gained almost 90lbs in 6 years while living the good life. I weighed 315 when I moved from paradise to TN. in February. I started walking every night (unless there was lightning) after we moving into our current house in March up until November when the weather got shitty. I was down to 260 at that time. I have picked up about 10lbs over the holidays and HAVE got to get back in my walking habit again. My goal is to get to down 220 by Christmas.

:dance:

Milton Fox
03-07-2013, 10:51pm
My cousin swears by ACV with the mother. It is very pungent. He mixes it with a glass of water. Wal-Mart even carries it in the store. But, you have to sure to choose 'with the mother'. He stopped eating bread of any type and focused on WHAT he was eating. With little to no exercise. He dropped 100lbs.

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar-with-the-mother.html)

I picked up some ACV with the mother on the way home today and had a glass. I didnt take my evening "nap" today, my vision seems sharper and I know I am more alert than I have been in weeks - interesting! :cert:

Will
03-08-2013, 7:32am
Sex for headache relief. Gets the endorphins and such going. Serious. :cheers:

Wife picked up a cold and a stomach virus simultaneously from the Hospital (Working in pediatrics this month) and has lost 6 pounds this week.

PASS.

----------------------------------------

Easy Lazy Recipe Incoming --- I'm sure I'm not the 1st person to think of this, but I made Chicken Parmesan a couple nights ago, and at the grocer yesterday trying to think of new and exciting ways to cook chicken, I had a stroke of genius: MEXICAN CHICKEN PARMESAN!!!!

Get some Guacamole and Salsa from the produce section, NOT the aisles. You want the fresh stuff with very short shelf life. I use the "Wholly" Brand. Very little carbs and sugar added to the salsa. Guacamole can be had in easy portion control 100 calorie packs. This recipe is for 2 since I cook for Mari and I.

Will's Salsa Chicken:
1. 2 Chicken Breasts: Butterfly and pound just a little bit flatter. Just a few fist pounds in the middle where they're thickest.
2. Coat each chicken breast w/ a mix of 1 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cumin
3. Fry until golden on each side in a pan w/ a bit of olive oil or coconut oil if you don't mind the slight taste, b/c coconut is healthier. I'll provide the nutrition info w/ olive oil though.
4. Place both chicken breasts in a foil-lined pan and cover w/ 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. Preferably extra sharp, as medium cheddar will be drowned out by other flavors and unnoticeable.
5. Place in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
6. While baking, in your still hot frying pan finely dice and fry a bell pepper. I used an orange one. If you're not a pansy like me and can take heat, use hotter peppers of some sort.
7. Prepare your plates: 100 calorie pack of chilled guacamole spread in a circle in the middle of each plate. On top of this, the diced pepper. On top of this, the chicken breasts you pull out of the oven, on top of this 2 generous tablespoons of salsa. Delicious, and also looks great on a plate if your into that sort of thing.

700 Calories, 12g Carbs, 50g fat, 60g protein, 800mg sodium, 2g sugar (from the salsa).

Will
03-08-2013, 9:35am
One week in the books after today. Went ahead and entered in today's menu to get my full week results. I weigh in first thing in the AM.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Fitness/WeekOneCharts_zps7ccc3c9d.png

Daily Average:

1,350 Calories
63g Carbs
80g Fat
95g Protein
24g Sugar

Now the PITA part comes. Initial rapid water weight loss will subside in favor of excruciatingly slow weight loss. I expect week 2 to be a bummer as I have to adjust to NOT losing a freaking pound every single day. My ceiling/"goal" is set at 1600 calories/day on MyFitnessPal which roughly equates to 1.6 lbs weight loss per week. I am shooting for 1400 per day (nailed it in week one w/ 1350 avg.) which would equate to 1.8 lbs weight loss per week.

I'm going to be conservative, set an expectation of 1.5 lbs per week on average from here on out, and hope to hit the 200lb threshold sometime in Mid-Late May. Just in time for the VA Blue Ridge Mountains/Shenandoah Valley Area Summer

Hopefully my body will get well soon and I can resume working out next week. Also warm weather will be welcome as soon as it comes so Jasper and I can take walks. Currently my exercise is purely weight lifting.

Milton Fox
03-08-2013, 11:38pm
All right day two and a second dose of ACV this evening. Again no nap, more alert, better vision. This morning I wasnt congested, no nasal drip issues during the rest of the day. No achy fingers from all day computer use. I am not visiable bloated (still weigh to much though). Other gastric changes are evident as well. Spooky! If this cuts my cholesterol and lowers my BP as well I will be more than happy!!!

Broken Wind
03-09-2013, 6:59am
My daily goal is 1860 cal, which for me equates to 1 lb loss per week. Back in the day when I was counseling overweight servicemembers, 1lb/wk was considered reasonable and attainable, so that's what I set for myself. As far as calories go, I have exceeded 1860 only once since I began tracking. I think I've missed only one cardio workout in the last two weeks.

I weighed in this morning and I have lost 5 lbs since beginning this quest in earnest two weeks ago.

Will
03-09-2013, 7:20am
All right day two and a second dose of ACV this evening ....

:seasix: Glad you found something that helps. Some of this stuff is no joke/scam. I take Echinacea and L-Lysine everyday and since I started a couple years ago ZERO colds and ZERO cold-sores.

Now if only I could find something to prevent my annual allergy attack....

I weighed in this morning and I have lost 5 lbs since beginning this quest in earnest two weeks ago.

DAB
03-09-2013, 8:48am
:issues:

Stupid scale.

Just bouncing around. Up 1, down 1, repeat.

Initial water weight is easy. The deep fat is harder.

Milton Fox
03-09-2013, 9:22pm
This is getting to be unbelievable! Put on my jeans from yesterday to run up to the tire store for new shoes for Mrs Fox's DD (Pirelli P4s) this morning and they literaly will not stay up! Came home and changed into freshly laundered jeans for Corvette Club meeting. They button right up - no sucking in or effort on my part - and there is 1.5 inches of space!!! Usually I dont need a belt, but again they will not stay up! Still it is all bloat reduction, but come on - I have only had 6 teaspoons of ACV over the last 3 days.

LisaJohn
03-09-2013, 11:33pm
:bigears: How much and how often do you take the ACV?

LisaJohn
03-09-2013, 11:44pm
[QUOTE=Will;904102]:seasix: Glad you found something that helps. Some of this stuff is no joke/scam. I take Echinacea and L-Lysine everyday and since I started a couple years ago ZERO colds and ZERO cold-sores.

Now if only I could find something to prevent my annual allergy attack....

Take a tablespoon of local honey daily.

Will
03-10-2013, 10:16am
Take a tablespoon of local honey daily.

Define "local"

There's a bee farm ~40 miles away that bottles/sells raw honey and they come to our town's farmer's market on Saturdays.

Close enough???

[Pants] literally will not stay up!

:seasix: I hit that awkward point yesterday where my pants were falling off in the grocery store on my old belt notch, but the next one down is slightly too tight/uncomfortable.

Down another lb this AM. 7 lbs dropped. Damn I wish I was working out right now too. It's been 2 full weeks now without one.

LisaJohn
03-10-2013, 10:35am
Honey from your area. Not from the "grocery store". The farmer's market honey should be good.

Grey Ghost
03-10-2013, 12:34pm
Honey from your area. Not from the "grocery store". The farmer's market honey should be good.

I've heard this, too. Haven't tried it yet. But, the closer to your town the better. Look for your local feed/seed store, farmers mkt., fruit stand, etc...

ACV with the Mother - 1 tbl. spoon mixed with a glass of water a day. :seasix:

Milton Fox
03-10-2013, 1:40pm
:bigears: How much and how often do you take the ACV?

Following the lable directions of 2 tsps with 8 oz of water. Tastes close to unsweetened lime or lemon juice. I only made one drink on Thursday and Friday, but added additional ones on Sat and today. The label recommends 3 glasses a day. Still flabergasted with all the changes in my body that has happened in this short a time - nothing I have tried before has every made this much of a difference so quickly.

Discovered some other benefits - increased pre-ejaculate (lubrication) and ejaculate and a lot more sustained stamina!!! :dance:

NEED-A-VETTE
03-10-2013, 2:46pm
Following the lable directions of 2 tsps with 8 oz of water. Tastes close to unsweetened lime or lemon juice. I only made one drink on Thursday and Friday, but added additional ones on Sat and today. The label recommends 3 glasses a day. Still flabergasted with all the changes in my body that has happened in this short a time - nothing I have tried before has every made this much of a difference so quickly.

Discovered some other benefits - increased pre-ejaculate (lubrication) and ejaculate and a lot more sustained stamina!!! :dance:

Interesting. (Even that last part. :funny:) I have a coworker that swears by this. She's convinced that it is helping her manage her diabetes better. She also mentioned improved numbers with her cholesterol.

I'll admit, I was skeptical. By there may be something to this. :island14:

Thanks for all the updates. :cheers:

DAB
03-10-2013, 3:13pm
Never heard of it.

Interesting.

Apple cider vinegar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider_vinegar)

LisaJohn
03-10-2013, 3:58pm

OMG! TMI! TMI! TMI!!!!!

You actually measured it!!!!!!OMG TMI!!!!

sting75ray
03-10-2013, 4:09pm
I will jump in on this one. When my wife and I got married in 1989 I wore 28/34 jeans. Now at age 43 I am wearing 38/34 and they are plenty snug. 5'10" and 244. I would love to get back down around 190 or 200.

Milton Fox
03-10-2013, 7:49pm
Yeah! Two tsps per 8 oz of water...

the other was nothing that technical...more TMI coming, but it is important! :cert:

Mrs Fox was smiling, but did complain about the wet spots! :yesnod:

LisaJohn
03-10-2013, 8:40pm
I just bought the Apple Cider Vinegar with the mothers. The directions say you can add honey to it. I have very local honey. I can walk to the hive! I'll give it a try tomorrow. Details may or may not follow depending on the results!:D

Will
03-10-2013, 8:45pm
I have the cookie shakes so bad.

My wife got some big, soft, tasty snickerdoodles at Sam's Club Yesterday. I just want to take that box and go into the basement and eat all of the cookies.

ahghagjaghgahag

Grey Ghost
03-10-2013, 8:48pm
I just bought the Apple Cider Vinegar with the mothers. The directions say you can add honey to it. I have very local honey. I can walk to the hive! I'll give it a try tomorrow. Details may or may not follow depending on the results!:D

I bought some awhile back, but never started on it. I started today. I thought it was 2 tablespoons though...glad to hear it is teaspoons.

LisaJohn
03-10-2013, 8:53pm
Directions on the bottle: 1to 2 teaspoons in 8oz water 3 times daily. Optional to taste 1 to 2 teaspoons honey.

Broken Wind
03-11-2013, 2:40am
Where do you buy this miracle cure?

BTW, I pedaled my old ass off this weekend. I rode 30 miles on saturday and another 45 on Sunday. I wish I had rediscovered cycling long before now. I'm getting back into shape and it is a lot of fun.

Kerrmudgeon
03-11-2013, 6:08am
BTW....ACV also lowers the acid levels in you system turning you blood more alkaline, which lowers inflammation and reduces gout causing uric acid. Seems strange to take an acid to reduce acid, but it works. :yesnod:

I used to take a shot of it chased by a big glass of water when I was having gouty feet. Works.:seasix:

Grey Ghost
03-11-2013, 8:03am
Where do you buy this miracle cure?

Wal-Mart and most every store carries it. Look around the vinegar or health food sections. Check the label. Make sure it "with the mother" printed on the label.

I bought this brand:

http://images.iherb.com/l/BRA-00116-0.jpg

BTW....ACV also lowers the acid levels in you system turning you blood more alkaline, which lowers inflammation and reduces gout causing uric acid. Seems strange to take an acid to reduce acid, but it works. :yesnod:

I used to take a shot of it chased by a big glass of water when I was having gouty feet. Works.:seasix:

I had gout flare ups in my ankles. Was prescribed all the wonder pills. The pills had some nasty side effects. I read that 100% cherry juice helped you pass the uric acid through your urine. I stopped the pills and started drinking one glass a day. Knock on wood, I haven't had a flare up since ! I also had kidney stones in my younger days. I imagine the juice and/or ACV might help keep them from forming.

LilRedCorvette
03-11-2013, 10:22am
Good info on the ACV, will definitely be trying it...thanks, all. :seasix:

Yamma
03-11-2013, 10:31am
Down 3 lbs. since cutting out beer a week ago. Been relying more on protein shakes if I get hungry. Hit the trails on my dirtbike over the weekend as well and I'm still feeling it in a few of my muscles. Hoping to head to the ice rink tomorrow on break for a nice 30-40 minute workout as well. I'm determined to get back in shape this spring! :D

Sea Six
03-11-2013, 1:51pm
216 3/4 pounds this morning! Down from 225. Mainly cutting WAAAAAY down on beer (:() and red meat (:(:().

Doctor had a twenty minute come-to-Jesus meeting with me a couple of weeks ago. I really don't want to turn into a pre-diabetic.

DAB
03-11-2013, 3:56pm
got a good walk in today, 1.865 miles according to my app.

weight is bouncing around, was at 291 last september, 253.5 this AM. that's 37.5 by my math. next 20-30 of deep fat will be harder to shed, but i'll keep at it.

LisaJohn
03-11-2013, 6:09pm
Bragg is the brand I bought at the local grocery store. Do y'all drink it 3 times a day?

Grey Ghost
03-11-2013, 6:16pm
Bragg is the brand I bought at the local grocery store. Do y'all drink it 3 times a day?

I messed up my first drink and put in 2 tablespoons :ack: I did the teaspoons today. I may try for another tonight. I'm also going to give the honey a try, since everything will be blooming before too long.

cmb396
03-11-2013, 7:24pm
Fwiw, im an Ace and AFPA certified trainer, if any of you guys/gals have any questions on strength, cardio, or any type of training, lemme know, ill help however I can!!

Milton Fox
03-11-2013, 8:25pm
Alright the moment of truth started the Bragg brand ACV last Thursday - down 4.5 pounds as of this morning!!!:hurray::hurray::hurray:

I deliberately tried to maintain my same eating pattern and we went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday...did not avoid carbs but only ate a few bits of any bread I came across.

Still freaking unbelievable all the changes that have occurred. :seasix:

snide
03-11-2013, 8:43pm
Down 3 lbs. since cutting out beer a week ago.

So, I take it we're not going for beers this week? :(

LisaJohn
03-11-2013, 8:50pm
Alright the moment of truth started the Bragg brand ACV last Thursday - down 4.5 pounds as of this morning!!!:hurray::hurray::hurray:

I deliberately tried to maintain my same eating pattern and we went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday...did not avoid carbs but only ate a few bits of any bread I came across.

Still freaking unbelievable all the changes that have occurred. :seasix:

That's great! Are you drinking the ACV 3 times a day?

Will
03-11-2013, 9:11pm
Fwiw, im an Ace and AFPA certified trainer, if any of you guys/gals have any questions on strength, cardio, or any type of training, lemme know, ill help however I can!!

Thanks! :seasix: Barrage Incoming:

How possible/impossible will it be for me to build more upper body muscle mass with no access to weights?

I have this $100 POS:

http://di1-1.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/46/0c/14/41586927-260x260-0-0_Weider+Total+Body+Works+5000+GATX.jpg

And some push-up bars.

Allegedly, on the steepest incline and using all 4 resistance bands, the Weider POS is giving me 55% of my body weight + 50 lbs. I find it hard to believe that I was able to biceps curl 160 lbs, 80 lbs per arm, 23 times in a set. I ain't that ripped.

At any rate, I'm maxed out on the settings, losing weight is only going to make it worse, and I'm already at 20+ reps for curls, bench press (which is really more of an inclined press given your body angle I guess) and seated rows. Only pull-ups give me challenged. I do a set lying on my back with arms wide, and a set lying on my chest gripping the inner bars with my fists.

If I just keeping doing more reps am I just going to be burning calories and not increasing muscle mass???

I'm going to replace bench press with push-ups I think since push-ups using the push up bars and touching my chin to the carpet are actually challenging vs. the bench press on that thing. Is there anything I can do for my biceps short of spending $$$$ I don't have on dumbells??? Because sadly I can't do that. Also door frames are a no-go for those door frame pull-up bars.

Also, I was working out 2.5 times per week. On, off, off, On, off, off, On ... etc.

I was doing 5 exercises, 3 sets:

1. Curls
2. Bench Press
3. Close-Grip Pull-Ups
4. Seated Rows
5. Wide-Grip Pull-Ups

And doing max reps each time, so that my reps decreased in the second and third sets as my muscles tired and I couldn't do as many.

Is this the right way to go, or should I go with a lesser number of reps at first and shoot for a number that I can sustain through all 3 sets?

Would you recommend going to 3 set days a week instead of the on, off, off pattern giving me 2.5 on average?

Finally, nutrition. I am losing weight now and I want to lose FAST, so I've set a calorie deficit of ~800 to 1000lbs as max maximum daily allowance at 1600. I'm shooting for and have averaged so far a 1400 calorie average. My carbs are moderately low, averaging 60g per day and around 24g sugar. Haven't been checking but I'm sure my fiber is good. I get a good chunk of my carbs from fiber one bars, and I also take a citrucel pill every AM anyway.

While I'm eating so few calories, should I not work out as hard/much? Or keep doing what I was since it wasn't exactly extreme?

What is your opinion on creatine for someone like me? I have these pills:

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/408065/155.jpg

They allege no water-weight retention. Didn't seem to notice any when taking them and I seemed to recover really well. Should I keep popping them pre-workout or just forget them?

My post-workout recovery drink is MetRX low carb protein powder + almond milk. Good???

Cliff Notes: I am poor and stuck at home with a child help me get sexy biceps and a decent looking chest and back for free.

sanchez
03-11-2013, 9:31pm
I have the cookie shakes so bad.

My wife got some big, soft, tasty snickerdoodles at Sam's Club Yesterday. I just want to take that box and go into the basement and eat all of the cookies.

ahghagjaghgahag

Hang in there. Try and equate each cookie with some miserable exercise.

I ran 4.21 miles tonight. Skipped the cake an ice cream at work. It looked awesome, but I have had too many cake and ice cream days without paying the fiddler.

Milton Fox
03-11-2013, 9:43pm
That's great! Are you drinking the ACV 3 times a day?

1 Thursday
1 Friday
2 Saturday
2 Sunday
only 1 today (need to get another bottle for work) :seasix:

NEED-A-VETTE
03-12-2013, 12:48am
1 Thursday
1 Friday
2 Saturday
2 Sunday

I think I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow. I wonder if it'll help with the constant digestive problems I seem to have, no matter how much I avoid gluten.

Edit: Did a quick google search. ACV with mother is naturally gluten free. But even better...a lot of people (with Celiac Disease) are talking (on various forums, etc.) about how much it has benefited them.

LisaJohn
03-12-2013, 6:12am
1 Thursday
1 Friday
2 Saturday
2 Sunday

Thanks! I drank 1 yesterday morning and I'm drinking 1 now. I hate to admit this but I have already been dieting for over 3 weeks and I have only lost 1 freakin' pound. It's very discouraging.

Will
03-12-2013, 7:26am
Hang in there. Try and equate each cookie with some miserable exercise.

I combated the shakes by heading to Kroger determined to satisfy my sweet tooth and stay on course.

Kroger Caramel flavored and Apple Cinnamon flavored rice cakes are AWESOME. I don't remember rice cakes being any good. Have they significantly advanced rice cake technology over the last decade or are my taste-buds just changed???

Also bought some Fifty-50 Crunch bars and wafer cookies. Binged on 2 servings (16 cakes) of rice cakes last night @ 9pm and one square of a Fifty-50 Crunch bar. 140 calories in all, still 60 calories less (and a ton less sugar) than one of those snicker doodle cookies that had been taunting me.

I have no desire for one now. The rice cakes satisfy the urge and are guilt free. Already budgeted some into today's menu. :dance:

Woke up almost another lb lighter at 213.8 lbs this AM. :dance:

Will
03-12-2013, 7:33am
Make sure you guys are ALWAYS diluting that Vinegar stuff in water.

More on ACV:

The Reservations:

Most of these claims have no evidence backing them up. Some -- like vinegar's supposed ability to treat lice or warts -- have been studied, and researchers turned up nothing to support their use. Other claims have been backed up by studies, but with a catch: vinegar may work, but not as well as other treatments. For instance, while vinegar is a disinfectant, it doesn't kill as many germs as common cleaners. And while vinegar does seem to help with jelly fish stings -- an old folk remedy -- hot water works better.

The Benefits that are backed in some measure by Scientific Study:

Scientific Evidence of Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits:

...[T]here are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies...

Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.

High cholesterol. A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.

Blood pressure and heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.

Cancer. A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.

Weight Loss. For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.

While the results of these studies are promising, they are all preliminary. Many were done on animals or on cells in a lab. The human studies have been small. Before we will truly know whether vinegar has any health benefits, much larger studies are needed.

Possible Risks:

What Are the Risks of Apple Cider Vinegar?

On the whole, the risks of taking occasional, small amounts of apple cider vinegar seem low. But using apple cider vinegar over the long term, or in larger amounts, could have risks. Here are some things to keep in mind.

Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed. Pure apple cider vinegar could damage the tooth enamel and the tissues in your throat and mouth. One study found a woman who got an apple cider vinegar supplement stuck in her throat suffered lasting damage to her esophagus. In addition, vinegar has been known to cause contact burns to the skin.

Long-term use of apple cider vinegar could cause low potassium levels and lower bone density. If you already have low potassium or osteoporosis, talk to your health care provider before using apple cider vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar could theoretically interact with diuretics, laxatives, and medicines for diabetes and heart disease.

If you have diabetes, check with your health care provider before using apple cider vinegar. Vinegar contains chromium, which can alter your insulin levels.

I may have to give it a try.

VatorMan
03-12-2013, 11:41am
OK- you guys have convinced me. Bought a bottle of ACV and a jar of raw honey at Whole Food$. It's really not that bad diluted. I had forgotten how good raw honey is as well. I think I'm going to go a glass a day and see how it works.

Grey Ghost
03-12-2013, 12:10pm
OK- you guys have convinced me. Bought a bottle of ACV and a jar of raw honey at Whole Food$. It's really not that bad diluted. I had forgotten how good raw honey is as well. I think I'm going to go a glass a day and see how it works.

ACV (Has to contain the mother)

Honey - has to be local. Check the label. It is good ! Mine isn't too sweet to the taste.

VatorMan
03-12-2013, 12:52pm
ACV (Has to contain the mother)

Honey - has to be local. Check the label. It is good ! Mine isn't too sweet to the taste.

This is local honey. Bits of bee and comb.:lol:

NEED-A-VETTE
03-12-2013, 9:21pm

I'm going to pick some up today. :cheers:

NEED-A-VETTE
03-12-2013, 9:24pm
Thanks! I drank 1 yesterday morning and I'm drinking 1 now. I hate to admit this but I have already been dieting for over 3 weeks and I have only lost 1 freakin' pound. It's very discouraging.

Don't get discouraged. :angel: Maybe just tweak your diet a bit and see what happens.

VatorMan
03-13-2013, 5:33am
I'm going to pick some up today. :cheers:

It DOES take some getting used to. The honey cuts the vinegar taste quite a bit.

Will
03-13-2013, 7:15am
http://badges.myfitnesspal.com/badges/show/3909/1989/39091989.weight-lost-md.gif

cmb396
03-13-2013, 9:20am
Thanks! :seasix: Barrage Incoming:

How possible/impossible will it be for me to build more upper body muscle mass with no access to weights?

In short, yes, there are plenty of at home body weight exercises you can do at home to increase muscle density and tone.

I have this $100 POS:

http://di1-1.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/46/0c/14/41586927-260x260-0-0_Weider+Total+Body+Works+5000+GATX.jpg

And some push-up bars.

Allegedly, on the steepest incline and using all 4 resistance bands, the Weider POS is giving me 55% of my body weight + 50 lbs. I find it hard to believe that I was able to biceps curl 160 lbs, 80 lbs per arm, 23 times in a set. I ain't that ripped.

At any rate, I'm maxed out on the settings, losing weight is only going to make it worse, and I'm already at 20+ reps for curls, bench press (which is really more of an inclined press given your body angle I guess) and seated rows. Only pull-ups give me challenged. I do a set lying on my back with arms wide, and a set lying on my chest gripping the inner bars with my fists.

If I just keeping doing more reps am I just going to be burning calories and not increasing muscle mass???

I'm going to replace bench press with push-ups I think since push-ups using the push up bars and touching my chin to the carpet are actually challenging vs. the bench press on that thing. Is there anything I can do for my biceps short of spending $$$$ I don't have on dumbells??? Because sadly I can't do that. Also door frames are a no-go for those door frame pull-up bars.

Also, I was working out 2.5 times per week. On, off, off, On, off, off, On ... etc.

I was doing 5 exercises, 3 sets:

1. Curls
2. Bench Press
3. Close-Grip Pull-Ups
4. Seated Rows
5. Wide-Grip Pull-Ups

Honestly, I would not rely on that too much, you can use it conjuction with other things, but do not use it solely for gains. You can do pushups, wide and close grip. Wide grip will work shoulders and back as well as chest. Close hand, keeping your elbows in, will work tris and chest. You can do an incline push up on a counter or secure table, then prop your feet up on something and do a decline PU to work your lower pecs.
You can do tricep body dips from a coffee table or chair. Air squats, lunges, vertical jumps and long jumps all for leg developement. Grap a table chair and do some curls with, or find a piece of pipe and tape something heavy on each end (you can even do cinder blocks like Marky Mark from back in the day)!! If you can make some sort of pullup/chinup bar, that would be great for your back and bi's!! Shoulders might be a bit tougher, but you can work yourself up to doing handstand pushups. I highly recommend the Insanity program. It's all body weight, and you can do it from home. You can get it off ebay for about a 100 bucks.

And doing max reps each time, so that my reps decreased in the second and third sets as my muscles tired and I couldn't do as many.

Is this the right way to go, or should I go with a lesser number of reps at first and shoot for a number that I can sustain through all 3 sets?

To grow your muscles, the best way shown from studies is called periodization. W/O going into total detal of what that is, based upon the intensity of your particular workout based on weight, you should be close to failure on your last 1 or 2 reps for that particular set. But that all varies on what you are doing. Example, you may be doing a heavy w/o that is 75-80% of a 1 rep max and should reach failure b/t 3-4 reps. Or, you can be doing 50% and reach failure b/t 12-15 reps, just all depends on what you are doing. This week, I am working at 65% 1 rep max and reaching failure b/t 7-9 reps.

Would you recommend going to 3 set days a week instead of the on, off, off pattern giving me 2.5 on average?

Whatever your schedule allows, just do not work the same muscle group two days in a row.

Finally, nutrition. I am losing weight now and I want to lose FAST, so I've set a calorie deficit of ~800 to 1000lbs as max maximum daily allowance at 1600. I'm shooting for and have averaged so far a 1400 calorie average. My carbs are moderately low, averaging 60g per day and around 24g sugar. Haven't been checking but I'm sure my fiber is good. I get a good chunk of my carbs from fiber one bars, and I also take a citrucel pill every AM anyway.

While I'm eating so few calories, should I not work out as hard/much? Or keep doing what I was since it wasn't exactly extreme?

Simple math, burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight. Cut down on the carbs and sugar, to really lose weight, you should limit yourself to 15-20g a day, unless it's a w/o day, then bump it up a few, but with complex carbs and good sources of fat for energy

What is your opinion on creatine for someone like me? I have these pills:

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/408065/155.jpg

They allege no water-weight retention. Didn't seem to notice any when taking them and I seemed to recover really well. Should I keep popping them pre-workout or just forget them?

Seems counter productive, people take creatine to gain weight, you are trying to lose. If you want something for muscle recovery, get some glutamine

My post-workout recovery drink is MetRX low carb protein powder + almond milk. Good???

cut the milk, mix with water, but I would suggest getting Intek post WO, much better by design

Cliff Notes: I am poor and stuck at home with a child help me get sexy biceps and a decent looking chest and back for free.

I feel your pain bro, was a part time stay at home dad for 3 years, but the other half the time was spent in the gym training folks. Good thing about that was free gym membership and plenty of free supplements (even tho I'm not really big on them)! Bottom line, keep your diet clean, and do the best with what you have to work with!! Good luck!!

Will
03-13-2013, 9:34am
Thanks!

Re: finding something to do curls with, I remembered yesterday I have a set of those exercise band. If I use the toughest one and stand on it so that the handles only go up to my knees without stretching, I can stand straight up and do biceps curls that are actually slightly more challenging than on the machine.

I could only do about 18 before the burn as opposed to 23 reps I was at on the machine.

Not sure how much more of the band I can stand on to make them tougher. I don't think it's intended for a person to stand really close to the handles and stretch the hell out of it. :rofl:

cmb396
03-13-2013, 9:52am
Thanks!

Re: finding something to do curls with, I remembered yesterday I have a set of those exercise band. If I use the toughest one and stand on it so that the handles only go up to my knees without stretching, I can stand straight up and do biceps curls that are actually slightly more challenging than on the machine.

I could only do about 18 before the burn as opposed to 23 reps I was at on the machine.

Not sure how much more of the band I can stand on to make them tougher. I don't think it's intended for a person to stand really close to the handles and stretch the hell out of it. :rofl:

I forgot about bands. I use to use them all the time, it's a great form for static resistance. I have 30, 40, and 80lb resistance bands. They are fairly affordable as well, no handles, just giant rubber bands. They can be used for all sorts of things, along with stretching.

Weight Bar Strength Bands | Power Systems (http://www.power-systems.com/p-3336-strength-bands.aspx)

sanchez
03-13-2013, 8:54pm
Ran a new PR for my neighborhood loop. 4.2 miles and I finally cracked 40 minutes. Also, my weight was flat after the week long business trip.

Glad not to have backslid in my struggle to stop being a FFPOS.

VatorMan
03-14-2013, 5:50am
After 2 days of the ACV, my eyesight is back to 20/20, my junk has grown 3 inches, and I am now fluent in Gaelic. ACV is the shit !!
:leaving:

Actually I've lost 3 pounds and haven't changed any major eating /workout habits. May be something to this stuff.

Will
03-15-2013, 9:06am
Welp. Definitely hit the end of the easy water-weight losing phase. 212.4 lbs 2 days ago, 213 lbs yesterday, 212.6 lbs today.

Now it becomes a grueling waiting game. Gotta keep on trucking.

Broken Wind
03-16-2013, 3:55am
A successful week here. I'm down 2 lbs from last saturday. 7 down, 38 to go. :dance:

Will
03-16-2013, 7:10am
211.4 lbs. It asked me if I wanted to recalculate my goals since I've lost over 10 lbs, said yes, and it erased my weight lost so far badge. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/emot-argh.gif

But I'm halfway to 200 lbs. :dance:

LilRedCorvette
03-17-2013, 5:52pm
Is anyone else getting agita (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=agita) from the ACV? I'm diluting 1 tsp in my 24 oz water bottle 3x a day and still having issues. :ack:

I need to at least give this a fair try for my uric acid based kidney stones (although any weight loss would be a nice plus), as nothing else is helping much...

VatorMan
03-17-2013, 5:57pm
Is anyone else getting agita (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=agita) from the ACV? I'm diluting 1 tsp in my 24 oz water bottle 3x a day and still having issues. :ack:

I need to at least give this a fair try for my uric acid based kidney stones (although any weight loss would be a nice plus), as nothing else is helping much...

What I have started- I place the honey and ACV in a glass and put in hot tea. Fill with ice cubes and its actually quite tasty. But no side effects yet here.

Grey Ghost
03-17-2013, 6:05pm

I've had kidney stones and gout in my ankles from uric acid. I tried the prescription drugs. They didn't help. I read about and started drinking one glass of 100% Cherry Juice a day. Knock on wood...I haven't had a problem with gout since. It will breakdown the acid and allow you to pass it through urine. Just make sure it is the 100% pure stuff, like Nestle Juicy Juice.

LilRedCorvette
03-17-2013, 6:41pm
I've had kidney stones and gout in my ankles from uric acid. I tried the prescription drugs. They didn't help. I read about and started drinking one glass of 100% Cherry Juice a day. Knock on wood...I haven't had a problem with gout since. It will breakdown the acid and allow you to pass it through urine. Just make sure it is the 100% pure stuff, like Nestle Juicy Juice.

Actually, I have been doing the 100% pure tart cherry juice thing for quite a long time now...but I am still having issues, which is why I'm trying the ACV.

Will
03-18-2013, 2:32pm
6 days ago = 212.4 lbs
Today = 212.4 lbs.

Average Daily Calories for the past week = 1,300

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/emot-argh.gif

LilRedCorvette
03-18-2013, 4:45pm
What I have started- I place the honey and ACV in a glass and put in hot tea. Fill with ice cubes and its actually quite tasty. But no side effects yet here.

OK, I added the honey to the ACV and tart cherry juice in my water bottle, then poured in the water, shook it up - appears to be better. :seasix: Kidney stones, be gone! :issues:

And...lost another pound...

DAB
03-18-2013, 5:20pm
as of today, 20 lbs in 20 weeks, and since late september, 39 lbs gone.

i'm not big enough for my britches anymore, have had to add 2 holes to my new belt.

Milton Fox
03-18-2013, 10:00pm
Having my usual bounce back on weight loss with only a net of 2 lbs in 10 day. :sadangel:

...but still down in waist and stomach size, feeling better, better vision, no evening naps, more stamina, etc...

Milton Fox
03-18-2013, 10:02pm

Havent had an episode of the GERD since I started the ACV. :cert:

LilRedCorvette
03-18-2013, 10:09pm
Havent had an episode of the GERD since I started the ACV. :cert:

That's surprising, considering we're ingesting acetic acid. :lol:

Anyway, it appears to be improving, as I have changed the mixology a bit (as indicated in post #94). :seasix:

Yamma
03-19-2013, 10:08am
I have not weighed in. I don't think I want to. I wasn't very good over the weekend. I went to a beer fest, ate pizza, and then went to a St. Patty's Day party - where I ate, then I left. :D

I did however walk quite a bit on Friday and Sunday, and am hoping to get back to the ice rink today. Finally ordered new skating boots too!!! (this part I am super excited about)

VatorMan
03-19-2013, 5:54pm
I'm down 3 pounds since Saturday. I started at 208 2 weeks ago and am now at 197. Target is 190.

bradc6
03-19-2013, 6:28pm
Back on the road bike after taking the winter off. Trying to get under an hour for 20 miles before I add more distance, missed by a minute today.

Rode 2600 miles last year and didn't start until April. My goal for this year is 4000.

Broken Wind
03-23-2013, 4:17am
A pleasant surprise this morning. I don't weigh myself but once a week, on saturday morning. This morning's weigh-in indicates a ten pound loss since beginning this regimen three weeks ago. That's a little over three times the amount of weight loss planned at this point. I'll take it!

Myfitnesspal is making a world of difference. I've learned quite a bit about my eating habits since beginning to use it. I'm also doing really well with my cardio workouts. I'm either on my bike or on my treadmill each day for a minimum of an hour. I'm stoked.

http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/3909/186/39090186.png (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker)
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) For Foods

DAB
03-23-2013, 10:13am
251 again this morning!! :hurray:

that's 40 off since late sept.

seems that i'll bounce around for a few days, and then boom, off comes another pound, and it stays off.

more to go this year.

when i started, i used the LoseIt app everyday to track my calories, now i have a pretty good idea what is good for me, so i don't track everything, but i do record my weight every AM, BP too.

about time for my morning constitutional. about 1.7 miles.

Yamma
03-24-2013, 4:39pm
....I'm not even going to step on my scale. I went to the East Nashville Beer Fest Yesterday. I ate a lot of carbs to absorb the 'samples' of beer I consumed. I feel like a blimp. Tomorrow I start the Dr. Oz detox diet. Not like the 'drink this mix of fluids 4 times a day' kind of detox, but one with real foods that help cleanse your body and help you to lose weight. Since I'm diabetic I have to be careful with diets, and this one looks like one I can actually do!

Will
03-24-2013, 4:41pm
Ugh. Travel sucks. No scale for weigh-ins, meals prepared for me with no clue as to portions & ingredients. Can't wait to get home. Good news was my pants for a wedding had to be tightened in the waist by 2 inches by the bridal shop.

Broken Wind
03-25-2013, 8:32am
Keep after it, comrades.

Will
03-25-2013, 9:09am
Man I hope I didn't do too much damage this weekend. I'm scared of weighing in when I get home tomorrow.

Yamma
03-25-2013, 10:53am
I came in at 152 this morning on my scale. (keep in mind I'm nearly 5'10"). My goal is to drop 10 lbs. Started the new diet this week and the shake wasn't too bad. Packed all healthy snacks to get me through the day and I'm starving!

Kerrmudgeon
03-25-2013, 1:25pm
....I'm not even going to step on my scale. I went to the East Nashville Beer Fest Yesterday. I ate a lot of carbs to absorb the 'samples' of beer I consumed. I feel like a blimp. Tomorrow I start the Dr. Oz detox diet. Not like the 'drink this mix of fluids 4 times a day' kind of detox, but one with real foods that help cleanse your body and help you to lose weight. Since I'm diabetic I have to be careful with diets, and this one looks like one I can actually do!

I came in at 152 this morning on my scale. (keep in mind I'm nearly 5'10"). My goal is to drop 10 lbs. Started the new diet this week and the shake wasn't too bad. Packed all healthy snacks to get me through the day and I'm starving!

Wow Jodi, I'm surprised at you drinking beer. That's a big no no for diabetics. I have ONE about once a year just to remember what it tastes like. :(

cmb396
03-25-2013, 2:20pm
Up to 210, sorry guys, I'm going the opposite way, working on getting up to 215 atleast, possibly more, then I will start cutting around the first of May back down to around 200-205.

bradc6
03-25-2013, 2:39pm
Here's my fitness machine, rode 25 yesterday and wishing the weather would cooperate so I can ride more.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/brad8647/004_zps50eb0989.jpg

Broken Wind
03-25-2013, 5:11pm
Here's my fitness machine, rode 25 yesterday and wishing the weather would cooperate so I can ride more.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/brad8647/004_zps50eb0989.jpg

Schweet!

I have a Giant Roam 2 hybrid that I bought in Jan, and may have made a deal on a Trek road bike today. I don't want to be more specific on that deal right now. Don't want to jinx anything. Tomorrow will be the truth teller.

Yamma
03-25-2013, 8:16pm
Wow Jodi, I'm surprised at you drinking beer. That's a big no no for diabetics. I have ONE about once a year just to remember what it tastes like. :(

My doctor doesn't seem too concerned, since I monitor my sugar so well and usually eat well.

snide
03-25-2013, 9:23pm

Well, I drank the stuff every day last week. Tasted foul going in. Smelled worse as it made its exit. :dunno:

:cheers:

Milton Fox
03-25-2013, 9:52pm
Still using the ACV and bouncing around like DAB, but down 6 lbs overall, which for just over two weeks doesnt seem bad. Body morph is still there - down 4 inches in pants and can almost wear a large size shirt again! :cheers:

LilRedCorvette
03-25-2013, 9:56pm
Well, I drank the stuff every day last week. Tasted foul going in. Smelled worse as it made its exit. :dunno:

:cheers:

:withstupid: It's giving me the runs. :( :flush:

Will
03-26-2013, 3:43pm
Just logged my food from the past week of being out of town. It was NOT pretty. Wedding Food, Rehearsal food, restaurant food, travel fast food, etc.

BUT I weighed in at 212.2 before I left. Just weighed in (usually weigh in in the AM) at 213.2.

No damage done it seems. Time for some more progress.

Milton Fox
03-26-2013, 9:01pm
:withstupid: It's giving me the runs. :( :flush:

I have never down a cleanse, but could be a slow one? :cert:

LilRedCorvette
03-27-2013, 9:40am
I have never down a cleanse, but could be a slow one? :cert:

I'm wondering if that's what it is...will do some reading online and post back with what I find...

VatorMan
03-27-2013, 7:35pm
I'm down to 197 !! :hurray: I'm using ACV and honey once a day right before dinner. So far, no side effects. Except I went for an eye exam and my eyes actually got better ! I'm going with drinking about 12 oz of liquid before dinner helping me eat smaller portions as the big helper.

Sea Six
03-27-2013, 11:44pm
Just logged my food from the past week of being out of town. It was NOT pretty. Wedding Food, Rehearsal food, restaurant food, travel fast food, etc.

BUT I weighed in at 212.2 before I left. Just weighed in (usually weigh in in the AM) at 213.2.

No damage done it seems. Time for some more progress.

Bill Whats-his-name (wrote Body For Life) says on one day each week, you can eat whatever you want... two big Macs and large fries, whatever and it pretty much won't affect you overall. :dunno:

Will
03-28-2013, 11:11am
Bill Whats-his-name (wrote Body For Life) says on one day each week, you can eat whatever you want... two big Macs and large fries, whatever and it pretty much won't affect you overall. :dunno:

Well yeah, if you limit it to one day a week, even cramming as much food as you can stomach, your overall daily average isn't going to bump much.

I started 26 days ago, and my average calories bumped from 1430 to 1540 calories a day because of my trip.

Broken Wind
03-30-2013, 5:08am

bradc6
03-30-2013, 5:53am

Did you get the Trek?

Rode 25 yesterday, 34 minutes out and 45 minutes back. Can you tell which way the wind was blowing?

Broken Wind
03-30-2013, 6:10am
Did you get the Trek?

Unfortunately, no. :sadangel:

I had a sweet deal going on a Madone 4.7, but it got sold out from under me. There will be another at some point. Around here, there's no shortage of young guys who get in over their heads and need to bail.

I didn't really NEED it, but dammit I sure wanted it.

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2011/xl/madone47_whiteblack.jpg

FasterTraffic
04-02-2013, 8:26pm

I'm up to 275 miles so far this year, which is roughly equivalent to 825 miles on a road bike. :D

VatorMan
04-03-2013, 8:41pm
I'm down to 195 !!:hurray: 5 more pounds to my 1rst goal. My ultimate is 185.

Broken Wind
04-06-2013, 6:01am
Wild week, and a bit disappointed in this morning's weigh-in. I'm down a pound from last week, but I thought it was going to be more like 3-4 lbs judging from a midweek weigh-in I did. Wednesday's weight showed a 5 lb decline. I guess that's just daily variance. At least I didn't gain any.

Will
04-06-2013, 6:42am
Man. THREE WEEK stall. Kept hovering around 212.

Finally broke free. 211.8 yesterday AM, and a new low of 210.8 lbs this AM.

:hurray:

Went grocery shopping last night, changing my diet. No more bacon and eggs for lunch. 2 scoops of protein + unsweetened almond milk for breakfast, low carb wraps for lunch. Came up with 3 different recipes with identical 320 calories. Turkey + Guacamole, Ham + Cheese, and Chicken + BBQ Sauce. All with plenty of tomato and lettuce or spinach. Going to up my protein intake by ~ 50%. Lower my fat at least 10g per day.

cmb396
04-06-2013, 7:58am
Man. THREE WEEK stall. Kept hovering around 212.

Finally broke free. 211.8 yesterday AM, and a new low of 210.8 lbs this AM.

Went grocery shopping last night, changing my diet. No more bacon and eggs for lunch. 2 scoops of protein + unsweetened almond milk for breakfast, low carb wraps for lunch. Came up with 3 different recipes with identical 320 calories. Turkey + Guacamole, Ham + Cheese, and Chicken + BBQ Sauce. All with plenty of tomato and lettuce or spinach. Going to up my protein intake by ~ 50%. Lower my fat at least 10g per day.

Sounds like a good meal plan!:seasix:

Don't be so quick to cut out the eggs tho, get some of the liquid egg whites, you can either make turkey and egg omelets, or just mix them into your protein shakes in liquid form. I eat egg whites 2-3 times a day on most days.

Will
04-06-2013, 9:18am
Sounds like a good meal plan!:seasix:

Don't be so quick to cut out the eggs tho, get some of the liquid egg whites, you can either make turkey and egg omelets, or just mix them into your protein shakes in liquid form. I eat egg whites 2-3 times a day on most days.

Going to do breakfast for dinner 1 or 2 times a week and have 2 or 3 large eggs.

I am sick of egg white omelets, eaten a ton of them over the past few years. Also I am TERRIBLE at cooking eggs, which makes them worse.

Broken Wind
04-12-2013, 5:59am
Weighing in a day early because I'm going to be out of town for the weekend. It turns out that last week's weigh-in was an anomaly, as I suspected. I severely doubt I have lost 4 lbs this week, but that's what the scales show. It's probably more like 2. At any rate, I'm at 210 lbs, down 15 lbs from the beginning. Onward and downward!

Will
04-12-2013, 11:47am
Man it's SLOOOOOW going. :willy:

In other news, found this cool site:

Physics Diet (http://www.physicsdiet.com/Default.aspx)

I use it along with MyFitness Pal.

Just plug in my weight every day, and physics diet automatically charts your moving average, so when you hit a snag or a plateau, you can see if it's because you're in the red and need to change habits, or if you're still doing fine and it will pass eventually. As long as you stay in the green, you're golden.

Me so far:

http://www.physicsdiet.com/Chart.ashx?t=WeightLoss&s=0001-01-01&e=2013-04-12&u=Boosted_C5

Will
04-12-2013, 11:52am
Also I'm a massive shmuck and I'm going to see if I can speed up my weight loss rate with some fad diet supplements.

Had some reward points on a CC I rarely use, used them on Amazon for some HCA pills, CLA pills, and some Rasberry Ketone/Green Coffee Pills.

No cost to me if they don't work. Going to take the maximum recommended servings and use them up in a month. If I hit 200 lbs by the time 1 month has passed and I've burned through most of them, I'll pay to re-up. If not, I'll feel like an @$$ for not using those points on a video game.

Milton Fox
04-13-2013, 7:29am
Uugh! Actually gained weight this week - up three pounds, but I l am down another belt notch...

Will
04-13-2013, 10:04am
Uugh! Actually gained weight this week - up three pounds, but I l am down another belt notch...

If you're waistline shrank more but your weight is up, then it's simply an anomalous fluctuation due to something like water weight retention, time since last bowel movement, etc.

lbs. are convenient and easier to track, but your waistline tells no tales.

Use this site:

Physics Diet (http://www.physicsdiet.com/Default.aspx)

You can go back in time and log your weights by date from when you started.

Broken Wind
04-13-2013, 11:47am
I don't recall voting in another thread title. :barnbabe:

:leaving:

Mrs. Colleen
04-13-2013, 2:35pm

I have been doing some reading on this the past week or so...trying to decide if I should try it to help with my gastritis. Because I am having a really shitty week - as far as my gastritis goes - I am really scared to try anything that involves acid.

Anyone here have gastritis and drink ACV?

Down 8lbs since the end of February myself. :) All since I started using the Lose It app! :)

Grey Ghost
04-13-2013, 4:43pm
I have been doing some reading on this the past week or so...trying to decide if I should try it to help with my gastritis. Because I am having a really shitty week - as far as my gastritis goes - I am really scared to try anything that involves acid.

Anyone here have gastritis and drink ACV?

Down 8lbs since the end of February myself. :) All since I started using the Lose It app! :)

Have you had a recent blood workup/test ?

Mrs. Colleen
04-13-2013, 5:16pm
Have you had a recent blood workup/test ?

Not recently.

VatorMan
04-13-2013, 6:22pm
Ok- run amock weekend. Went to my favorite restaurant and had a huge Chimay beer and a huge tureen of mussels cooked in Lobster bisque. I'm afraid to weigh after this- up to 194. :slap: I really hate my metabolism.

Grey Ghost
04-13-2013, 8:03pm
Not recently.

Probably a good idea, before starting the ACV. Even those urgent care places can do them quickly and at about the same cost as your primary doc. They all pretty much draw blood and send it to a local lab. You just have to tell them you want to know about everything from the blood work.

Mrs. Colleen
04-13-2013, 9:54pm
Probably a good idea, before starting the ACV. Even those urgent care places can do them quickly and at about the same cost as your primary doc. They all pretty much draw blood and send it to a local lab. You just have to tell them you want to know about everything from the blood work.

Thanks for the tip.

Honestly I should probably just go see a doctor. I did not like the last guy I saw so I have been putting off finding a new one since I hate the process.

Will
04-15-2013, 6:34am
Hit a really nice groove over the weekend.

211.2 lbs Friday AM
210.4 lbs Saturday AM
209.2 lbs Sunday AM

and....

208.8 lbs this morning.

I'm expecting this little burst to end soon, since it's not water weight and it's pretty rapid, but hopefully when it ends I don't bounce back up much and resume slow progress from this point.

We're leaving to visit family in SC and FL on May 11. MAN IF I COULD LOSE 2.3 lbs per week over the next month I could cross 200lbs by then.

Walking 30 minutes every day it's not raining now with pushing Jasper in his stroller. 1/4 walk up a steep hill, 1/4 down a steep hill. So I get a nice burn when going up the hill twice.

Abandoned my every-3 day workout on that dumb cheap cable machine, doing just doing push-ups and curls every other day now. Did 70 push-ups and curls yesterday. Once I cross 200lbs I'll look into a pull-up bar.

Broken Wind
04-15-2013, 8:39am
I had a bad weekend here, mostly anticipated though. I spent the weekend with my parents, and Mom loves to feed me like I'm still a teenager. I don't even want to know what my weight is this morning. Myfitnesspal was all but screaming at me all weekend. On the bright side, this was my first bad fall from the wagon since I began myfitnesspal 45 days ago.

I'll be back on track today. Looking forward to getting back on the bike in a few hours.

Yamma
04-15-2013, 12:21pm
Re-lost the 4 pounds I gained the week before, but slipped up a bit over the weekend. I swore I'd get back on track today and was doing good until I spotted the Krispy Kreme donuts in the break room. I really wish I had better self control with food.

FasterTraffic
04-15-2013, 12:58pm
Re-lost the 4 pounds I gained the week before, but slipped up a bit over the weekend. I swore I'd get back on track today and was doing good until I spotted the Krispy Kreme donuts in the break room. I really wish I had better self control with food.

:iagree:

I do really well on the exercise side of my fitness plan. The diet side, however, is a whole 'nother matter.

Yamma
04-15-2013, 1:27pm

I do really well on the exercise side of my fitness plan. The diet side, however, is a whole 'nother matter.

I tire of the same things day after day which are typically standard in most diets. This causes me to slip up - like today (hmmm, blueberry donut or raw carrots) :leaving:

They come out with all these great meal plans with awesome sounding food, but hell, when you are gone from the house 12 out of 15 waking hours, it doesn't exactly leave you much time for cooking.

...Whitepower...
04-15-2013, 1:28pm

Truth.

I'm close to my goal of a 24.XX minute 5k, but the diet is the hard part for me. Especially with the work travel and restaurants.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2rrbf54.jpg

FasterTraffic
04-15-2013, 10:13pm
I tire of the same things day after day which are typically standard in most diets. This causes me to slip up - like today (hmmm, blueberry donut or raw carrots) :leaving:

They come out with all these great meal plans with awesome sounding food, but hell, when you are gone from the house 12 out of 15 waking hours, it doesn't exactly leave you much time for cooking.

When I typed that, I was eating (formerly) frozen waffles smeared with Nutella. :Jeff '79:

Truth.

I'm close to my goal of a 24.XX minute 5k, but the diet is the hard part for me. Especially with the work travel and restaurants.

:iagree: Very true.

I travel for work and I try to find an entrée that has something I don't like. For example, a vegetable. :blush: Otherwise, it's awfully tempting to have steak or a pasta in cream sauce and a Cherry Coke.

VatorMan
04-16-2013, 10:49am
I'm not having trouble with the diet-It's the no alcohol during the week that is killing me ! :slap: Back down to 194 last night.

Broken Wind
04-16-2013, 10:56am
I haven't cut anything out of my diet. I'm just consuming less. Beer, sweets, junk...it's all in there. I don't feel deprived at all.

Down to 209 and change this morning. We'll see where I stand saturday morning.

Will
04-17-2013, 6:52am
207.4 lbs

15 Pounds Lost in 47 days, almost 1/3 lb per day.

:dance::dance::dance:

...Whitepower...
04-17-2013, 9:27am
207.4 lbs

15 Pounds Lost in 47 days, almost 1/3 lb per day.

Punk Boy
04-17-2013, 3:48pm
down 45 lbs in about 8 months.... started with p90x then insanity now a lot of running....don't eat out hardly at all and cut portions and snacks

bradc6
04-17-2013, 7:00pm
Just back from my ride, 30.44 miles in 1:30:43 for a 20.1 mph average. Fastest ride this month. Maybe because I was pissed after getting run off the road by a logging truck.

272 miles for the month but not much weight loss yet.

Broken Wind
04-18-2013, 5:40am

Show off. :barnbabe:

TabuIsMe
04-18-2013, 8:09am
Also I'm a massive shmuck and I'm going to see if I can speed up my weight loss rate with some fad diet supplements.

Had some reward points on a CC I rarely use, used them on Amazon for some HCA pills, CLA pills, and some Rasberry Ketone/Green Coffee Pills.

No cost to me if they don't work. Going to take the maximum recommended servings and use them up in a month. If I hit 200 lbs by the time 1 month has passed and I've burned through most of them, I'll pay to re-up. If not, I'll feel like an @$$ for not using those points on a video game.

I've tried diet pills and have found them to be ineffective... although some people I know swear by thermogenics.

I slacked hard this semester and feel like crap about it. I don't do well on protein diets, well it's harder for me stick to them because I don't eat meat and I eat chicken once every few months...
Last time I tried doing a protein diet I was eating only steamed fish, steam zuccchini, and tomatoes. The moment I was in ketosis (ketostix, which have been a pretty indicator for me since I always use them from day 1 and it's always negative first day and after a few days I see the ketone levels go up), it was the darkest level on the ketostix, took me about 6-7 days?
I wasn't hungry, but my mom said I look pale and bloated. I had no appetite and felt really sick like I was about to puke. I lost 5 lbs, mom told me to eat something with carbs in it. Gained back 4 the next day :lol:
Did the dukan diet with mom and sister, I lost the least amount of weight, I actually only lost weight the first 2 days on the diet and my weight just remained the same for the next 2 weeks on the diet. Again, I was very bloated on this diet too. I drink water, so it's not sodium. Whey protein makes me bloat too.. :confused5:

I had good results when I included bread on my diet, never felt weak/nauseous, and worked out hard. But I am wondering if I'll have better results if i cut out all grains, add more (healthy) fat, and greens. Just don't want to feel like crap/bloated/weak like i did last time.

Will
04-18-2013, 8:50am
I had good results when I included bread on my diet, never felt weak/nauseous, and worked out hard. But I am wondering if I'll have better results if i cut out all grains, add more (healthy) fat, and greens. Just don't want to feel like crap/bloated/weak like i did last time.

Eat whatever is healthy, good for you, and makes you feel good, and just keep your calories to a set level for weight loss. You don't need to cut out any basic food group.

I'm losing BETTER by ONLY sticking to a calorie goal tha I ever debt sticking to a carb goal or anything else.

That being said, I am maximizing my fiber and minimizing sugar by simply making smart choices. I use high-fiber low-carb tortillas for my lunch wraps. I use a protein powder by Met-RX that is nto sweetened with sugar and has little carbs for my breakfast shakes. My mid-morning snack is a Fiber-One bar. I avoid rice and pasta at dinner and limit carbs to a little bit of flour for breading, fresh salsa with little sugar, wine used for cooking, etc.

But some dinners I do have carbs. Having breakfast tonight and I will have 2 pieces of toast.

Over the past week of another rapid weight-loss grove (from 211.6 lbs ON April 11th down to 206.6 lbs as of this AM) I have average 1550 calories, just a hair under my set goal of 1600 per day. My carbs have average 115g per day, a low of 72 and a high of 164g. Of that, my sugar has averaged 40g per day. My fat has averaged 70g, with a low of 48g and a high of 95g.

My protein has averaged 120g per day.

Extreme low-carb like Atkins can call for 20g or less of carbs per day. But really, anything less than 100g is "low-carb" IMO. So if you need carbs, EAT THEM. Be smart and eat fiberous foods and avoid eating a ton of sugar i.e. cookies. If eating in a certain way makes you tired and weak, don't do it.

I would suggest still trying to get as much protein as possible. Weight loss without protein = muscle loss. Weight loss WITH protein = FAT LOSS.

Since you're not a meat eater, I'd recommend a protein shake as part of your daily routine. Also BEANS, NUTS, and EGG WHITE.

But overall, JUST focus on calories. Use a calculator that takes your sex, age, height, and weight into account, get your maintenance calorie level, and eat NO MORE than 1000 calories under that level.

Here's a typical day for me (yesterday):

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Fitness/SampleMenu1_zps19554a62.png

A little lower on carbs and sugar that usual for me, a little higher on fat, but typical protein and calories.

TabuIsMe
04-18-2013, 9:52am
:) Thank you for the encouraging post, as I really do feel like crap when I don't eat enough carbs.
The last time I really put in 100% I had no way of tracking calories really... which is what bothered me about it. I wanted something that was simple and easy.. So I got a 3 seed demi loaf from panera (everyday), I took out all the dough, and made a sandwich with tuna fish in olive oil and spinach everyday. Half after my workout, and the other half at about 6 pm. Monday through friday, I had a steady weight loss of 1 lb a day. But I fluctuated on the weekends, usually 1-2 lbs. I don't remember if I had 1 or 2 cans a day of tuna, but if it was 1 then I will definitely bump it up to 2 this time around if I do this again. Also, will probably try to eat better on the weekend to avoid fluctuating as much as possible. I liked this diet because I saw results and had no cravings. I stopped eating that way when school started cause I didn't workout as much. I didn't put on much weight, maybe a few lbs? but clothes don't fit me as well as before.

From my attempt at a protein diet:
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x246/Tabuisme89/3_zps051e4955.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x246/Tabuisme89/2_zps2261f1eb.jpg

Diet i followed in the summer, but I was always hungry and looking forward to the next meal.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x246/Tabuisme89/1_zps66032626.jpg

TabuIsMe
04-18-2013, 9:57am
Any idea why you lose better when following a calorie limit and not carb limit? Do you feel better? Have less cravings?

Will
04-18-2013, 10:00am
NEVER, EVER, EVER Consume less than 1200 calories in a day.

No adult of any sex/age/condition should do that.

Also don't starve yourself with unfilling food.

Look at my daily menu and then the ones you posted. Which one sounds like it could actually keep you satisifed.

Protein Shake - 8am
Fiber One Bar - 10am
Turkey Guacamole Wrap - Noon
2 Cow Pals Colby Cheese Sticks - 3pm
Lightly breaded and pan fried in olive oil chicken breast on a bed of guacamole, topped with salsa - 6pm

You could probably lose weight (albeit at a slower rate than me) on 1600 calories a day, unless you're already in the normal weight range for your height.

Will
04-18-2013, 10:05am
Any idea why you lose better when following a calorie limit and not carb limit? Do you feel better? Have less cravings?

Probably because my calories on a "low carb diet" were often maintenance level or higher on a given day.

And again, I am still actually consuming low carb. When tracking my carbs, I'm including fiber which I do not track. My net carbs (g carb minus g fiber) are definitely somewhere under 100g on average.

It's just not extreme low carb like Atkins or something.

Studies have shown a slight advantage to consuming fewer net carbs when on a diet vs. less fat given equal calorie intake. But its calories that really count. Make the calorie intake UNequal, and the low carb person consume more calories, and that advantage disappears.

TabuIsMe
04-18-2013, 10:07am
I know I wasn't eating right, but what do you think about the panera bread? To remove all the dough+ 2 cans of tuna fish (60g of protein) and leafy greens, and to eat it through out the day?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OoQZHoSd2pA/T26QeX9Ju7I/AAAAAAAAAFA/nw4tQsx5-DU/s1600/seeddemi.jpg

TabuIsMe
04-18-2013, 10:10am
Workout template I followed, aimed to do upper/lower twice a week. One day upper, next day lower + cardio
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x246/Tabuisme89/Capture_zps0af3d0a2.jpg

Will
04-18-2013, 10:17am
I know I wasn't eating right, but what do you think about the panera bread? To remove all the dough+ 2 cans of tuna fish (60g of protein) and leafy greens, and to eat it through out the day?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OoQZHoSd2pA/T26QeX9Ju7I/AAAAAAAAAFA/nw4tQsx5-DU/s1600/seeddemi.jpg

I don't know. I'd have to see the nutrition info for a panera bread loaf with the guts remove. If you really want a tuna sandwich, just eat it in a wrap, or if it must actually be a traditional sandwich, 2 pieces of bread.

My wife and son have some nature's own butter bread in the pantry, which I will use for my toast tonight. 2 slices = a whopping 120 calories and 24 g of carbs.

So, 2 slices of delicious non-diet gimmick bread + 1/4 cup tuna = 420 calories basically since any greens and veggies will add negligible calories.

420 calories is perfectly fine for a meal.

Here's another example for you, today's menu for me. I think it sounds pretty darn satisfying:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Fitness/SampleMenu2_zps8c2b4f01.png

Protein Shake for breakfast
Fiber One Bar for a Snack
BBQ Chicken Wrap for lunch
Cheese stick for a snack
Ham & Cheese Scrambled Eggs, 2 Sausage patties, and 2 pieces of toast with butter and jelly for dinner.

One of my more "bad" dinners with cholesterol and fat, as well as sugar via jelly, but I'm still achieving my calorie goal. I had breakfast for dinner like this twice last week, and will twice this week. Chicken in some fashion usually 4 nights a week, as chicken breast is my super healthy staple. I usually use marsala wine or red win and butter and cream and mushrooms to make Chicken Marsala once a week, which is awesome.

Don't starve yourself. Eat healthy but eat well.

Will
04-18-2013, 10:24am
Tabu:

Take 5 seconds to use this simple calculator:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm)

Just need age, sex, height, weight.

Click "little/no exercise" for exercise level, irregardless of you activity level.

Use the "Fat Loss" Calorie result as your guide post. If you consistently hover around it such as that every week your average daily calories = the number roughly, you will lose weight if you actually need to lose weight.

Eat filling healthy foods and always strive to get as close to that number as possible, never having a day where you are significantly UNDER it.

Don't frustrate yourself with gimmicks or buying Panera bread, gutting it, and eating the same thing all day long.

Will
04-18-2013, 10:26am
If you want to PM me your age, weight, and height, I can be more specific/helpful and refrain from disclosing your # in this thread

However I am a married man and understand (as much as a man can) women and that you may not want to tell me how much you weigh.

Just offering. :seasix:

Yamma
04-18-2013, 10:36am
NEVER, EVER, EVER Consume less than 1200 calories in a day.

No adult of any sex/age/condition should do that.

Also don't starve yourself with unfilling food.

Look at my daily menu and then the ones you posted. Which one sounds like it could actually keep you satisifed.

Protein Shake - 8am
Fiber One Bar - 10am
Turkey Guacamole Wrap - Noon
2 Cow Pals Colby Cheese Sticks - 3pm
Lightly breaded and pan fried in olive oil chicken breast on a bed of guacamole, topped with salsa - 6pm

You could probably lose weight (albeit at a slower rate than me) on 1600 calories a day, unless you're already in the normal weight range for your height.

That sounds awesome! I've started using MyFitnessPal more to log food and it's helping me keep on track. Yesterday I kept right at the 1200 calories it suggests for me. As crazy as yesterday was for me, I still managed to get out and run for about 20 minutes - first time I've been out running in probably 7-8 months.

VetteBoy1979
04-18-2013, 9:20pm
I suck at this. You guys would hate me for what I ate this week.

Will
04-19-2013, 7:15am
Noooooooooooo!!! http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/emot-argh.gif

Super Fast Weight Loss streak came to an end. 206.8 lbs this AM.

Oh well, it was a fun week. Back to the slow grind I guess.

TabuIsMe
04-22-2013, 8:02am
http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/192x/16/a9/34/16a934e2115e0020a5d9e7098b929d4b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fbCyTFL.jpg

Pretty good ^^

Broken Wind
04-26-2013, 6:01am
207 this morning. I'm going to adjust my goals a bit. I think losing as much as I originally targeted is going to be too much. I'm going to shoot for 193, which will put me back into compliance with USMC height/weight standards.

I'm 18 lbs less than when I started and very few people other than my wife have noticed. I'm told I carried my weight well and no one suspected I weighed as much as I did. Most of my weight gain was in my gut, hips, and thighs. My face, neck, and arms didn't show it as much.

bradc6
04-26-2013, 6:29am
Did a couple of 40 mile bike rides this week and think I'm down around 4 lbs for the month.

Have ridden 383 miles in April.

Broken Wind
04-26-2013, 7:32am
Did a couple of 40 mile bike rides this week and think I'm down around 4 lbs for the month.

Have ridden 383 miles in April.

I'm at 135 or so. I have to find another saddle. I can't stay in this one any longer than 45 min or all kinds of objections begin being raised.

Will
04-30-2013, 9:01am
I

HATE

PLATEAUS.

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

206.6 lbs 2 weeks ago, 206.6 lbs this AM.

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

We're leaving to visit family/friends in SC and FL on May 11, and I wanted to pass 200lbs by then.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Fitness/WeightLossProgress4-30-2012_zps72346684.png

vetteman9368
04-30-2013, 1:08pm
Ok, I'm jumping in here. My wife and I are on day 7 of the Advocare 24 day challenge. We plan to adopt the eating style from now on, with an occasional cheat day. My wife is down 13 lbs and 3 inches in the waist and hips each, I'm down 15lbs and almost 4 inches in the waist. We've yet to incorporate a specific workout routine into our lives yet, but its coming

Montehall
05-01-2013, 10:30am
I've been "juicing" since Saturday. I make 36oz of fresh vegtable/fruit juice (80/20% split) and drink that through the day, then eat a healthy dinner, been salads, asI've been doing the Vegan thing.
I've also given up drinking anything other than water, and no more caffine.
Since Saturday morning, I've lost 13 lbs... and I feel great. No more caffine withdrawl symptoms, I have energy, and I'm not hungry.

Broken Wind
05-06-2013, 3:11pm
Damn Monte. That's a lot of weight in one week. Nicely done.

Yamma
05-06-2013, 4:05pm
On Saturday I scarfed down half a burger and fries on my way out the door to a photo shoot. Had the rest for dinner 'bout 5pm. Dixie got home from a concert at 12:30, by 1am the pizza was delivered.

Yesterday we volunteered for 'crowd control' at a beer fest at the local brewery. Sampled a few sour beers, split a heaping pile of loaded nachos and a mini-donut sundae. Skipped dinner.

........I need a hefty kick in the rear to get me motivated. Seriously. Trying my best to get back on track this week.

vetteman9368
05-06-2013, 10:06pm
Day 13 of the advocare 24 day challenge and I'm doen almost 20 lbs and 10" combined. I also feel great and have plenty of energy

Will
05-07-2013, 6:23am
Day 13 of the advocare 24 day challenge and I'm doen almost 20 lbs and 10" combined. I also feel great and have plenty of energy

Updated your entry in the "Success Stories" Post.

As for me, a surprising 203 lbs this AM (had been weighing in the 205lb range the past 4-5 days).

19 lbs lost. 1 more until 20 lbs lost, 3 more to hit 200 lbs.

I've tried measuring my waist with a measuring tape, but it doesn't really work. But I have moved from notch 4 on my belt to notch 7, the last notch.

DAB
05-07-2013, 10:18am
been 30 weeks since i've been tracking weight.

on 10/13, was 275
today, 5/7, am 24.5

29.5 lbs over 30 weeks. slow and steady, and no 'programmed' diet, just changed eating habits and menus (no salt).

:dance::dance: :hurray::hurray: :DAB:

snide
05-17-2013, 11:25am
And for heavens sake don't let Dixie try on the bikini and/or take pics w/him in it! :willy:

I'm guessing that pictures exist.

island14
05-17-2013, 12:15pm
I'm guessing that pictures exist.

Would not surprise me, but as long as it includes the sporty socks I have no problems... :island14:

Will
05-20-2013, 8:50am
I've been on vacation away from home since Saturday the 11th.

No scale, no control over meal preparation, LOTS of dinners out, and I succumbed to the Siren's Song of DoubleStuff Golden Oreos and managed to eat pretty much an entire package over the course of the last 4 days.

Going home Wednesday, scared for my Thursday AM weigh-in.

Last time I vacationed in March, I came back 2 lbs up and suffered 2 weeks of plateau afterward.

Going to try and kick-start my return home Wednesday by mini-fasting today and tomorrow and eating only dinner. Also upping my water intake from 64oz to 80oz as well. Chicken Breast for dinner tonight and tomorrow at my mother's house, no more dining out.

Her old school scale shows me at under 205 lbs, but no telling if it's accurate or not. I'm going to assume the worst and expect 207lb and back down to 15 lbs total loss on Thursday AM. I'll consider anything less gravy.

Yamma
05-20-2013, 10:13am
Shooting or modeling?

shooting......I'm not one to be in front of a camera. Just behind it.

oh...and still haven't gotten back on track. Haven't lost a single pound in the past couple weeks. Miserable, no motivation and desperately needing a few extra hours in the day.

Will
05-25-2013, 11:27am
Ugh. The Damage.

206.5 lbs.

I had dropped into the 203s.

Probably take me 2 weeks to undo the damage, so an entire month of lost progress.

Good news is no more trips/vacation until October. So I should have 4 months of uninterrupted dieting. 4 lbs/month would get me under 190lbs by October for my little brother's wedding.

Grilling everyday this Memorial Day weekend, but fitting it into diet. Pork Tenderloin last night, 4 lean beef hot dogs and 2 buns tonight, 2 small burgers and buns tomorrow night with no snacks tomorrow, and grilled chicken breast topped with sauteed mushroom and onion on Monday.

DAB
05-25-2013, 1:46pm
243 this week, fit into my 40 waist jeans this morning. :hurray::dance:

hit 240 on a consistent basis, time to replace my 42 jeans with 40 jeans (the ones i tried are lined jeans for winter).

DAB
05-28-2013, 8:21am
242.0 today.

49 less than when I was in the hospital last September.

:DAB:

...Whitepower...
05-31-2013, 8:26am
Taking a month off w/ no booze. Last drink was Thursday night at BR actually. Running 4 miles a clip 3 times a week and being conscious of my diet and snacking.

Let's see what that yields.

Been stuck at 185'ish for a few weeks.

Yamma
06-03-2013, 4:16pm
Getting back on track this week. All parties and events have passed. Not saying what my current weight is, but will update as it becomes less and less. :D

We put a ton of meat and veggies on the smoker, so we basically don't have to cook all week, and have quick healthy meals when we get home from work.

DAB
06-03-2013, 4:30pm
240 for two days running. Down 51 since late September last year.

LilRedCorvette
06-03-2013, 5:34pm
Not saying what my current weight is, but will update as it becomes less and less. :D

:iagree: Me either! Although today I reached my first goal. :hurray: Second goal is another 5 lb loss, and the third will be another 5 lb loss after that. Then I'll just be in maintenance mode from then on out. :dance:

DAB
06-03-2013, 5:58pm
All women weigh 110-120, and are no more than 29 years old.

LilRedCorvette
06-03-2013, 6:17pm
All women weigh 110-120, and are no more than 29 years old.

Well, at least one part of that statement is true in my case. :D

Broken Wind
06-07-2013, 3:43am
I was stuck around 206 for the longest, but I finally broke through over the past week or so. I'm real close to busting 200 now.

TabuIsMe
06-12-2013, 10:06am
Finally got on the scale to face the damage, gained 10 lbs between end of semester+finals.... signed up for kickboxing.:needcoffee:

Will
06-12-2013, 10:20am
Finally undid the trip damage. Back to 203lbs, back to 19lbs total lost.

So close to 20lbs lost and so close to under 200lbs.

AND.... I'm leaving again tomorrow to visit with my parents for a week.

I'm going to allow myself one night at the local fish camp. Every other night I'm eating chicken breast, even if I have to make it separately myself. I am NOT losing another entire month of progress.

DAB
06-12-2013, 10:47am
238.5 today, down from high of 291 late september last year. :DAB:

LilRedCorvette
06-12-2013, 6:42pm
I am NOT losing another entire month of progress.

Good for you. :seasix:

Unf I think I have another kidney stone, so it's mucho fluids for me until I can pass it. :ack: Stones wreak havoc on my GI system...very sick ATM...

TabuIsMe
06-12-2013, 11:33pm
I am NOT losing another entire month of progress.

Keep that mindset and you won't.

238.5 today, down from high of 291 late september last year. :DAB:

GREAT job!

Good for you. :seasix:

Unf I think I have another kidney stone, so it's mucho fluids for me until I can pass it. :ack: Stones wreak havoc on my GI system...very sick ATM...

I'm sorry, hopefully it passes quickly :seasix:

LilRedCorvette
06-13-2013, 11:51am
Been seeing lots of news stories lately of people losing weight/getting healthy in their own ways, which to be honest I find encouraging and inspirational. :seasix: Much rather read about that than doom and gloom. :yesnod:

TabuIsMe
06-14-2013, 4:48pm
my hands hurt from kickboxing but the class is awesome!

mrvette
06-15-2013, 8:36am
I dunno.....6'5" AND 225 like a Buick, Deuce and a Quarter.....age 69, been this weight for some 25 years or better....

I don't eat, skip breakfast and maybe even lunch....lunch is just a hot dawg, maybe two if I feel like it.....

get rid of last night's dinner by 11am.....

:issues::rofl::seasix:

I figger I cut about 40% off my food bill by just not eating.....can't be on the hips if not through the lips, physics 101

DAB
06-15-2013, 10:04am
my hands hurt from kickboxing but the class is awesome!

:ohnoes:

you'd kick my butt....:leaving:

TabuIsMe
06-22-2013, 2:27pm
:ohnoes:

you'd kick my butt....:leaving:

Probably not, I still backoff when the punching bag comes swinging back at me :leaving:

Will
06-22-2013, 5:48pm
202 lbs yesterday and today.

20 pounds lost. :dance:

Come on 199 lbs. Hopefully by July 4. :seasix:

Broken Wind
06-29-2013, 4:48am
I broke through the 200 lb floor this week!

TabuIsMe
06-29-2013, 1:09pm
202 lbs yesterday and today.

20 pounds lost. :dance:

Come on 199 lbs. Hopefully by July 4. :seasix:

You got this :cert:

TabuIsMe
07-17-2013, 9:41pm
how is everybody doing?

Broken Wind
07-18-2013, 5:04am
I'm at 198, down from 225 when I started. My goal is 193. We'll see what happens when I get there.

Will
07-18-2013, 7:20pm
Going on a full month plateau now, never got below 202, started working out again on the 9th, in the 205s this AM and gaining, hoping it's just water weight from taking 4 creatine pills on workout days.

Plain chicken breast for dinner last 2 nights.

Working out again tomorrow.

Hope to see body adjust and weight start dropping again.

200lb barrier is driving me nuts.

TabuIsMe
07-19-2013, 6:37am
Going on a full month plateau now, never got below 202, started working out again on the 9th, in the 205s this AM and gaining, hoping it's just water weight from taking 4 creatine pills on workout days.

Plain chicken breast for dinner last 2 nights.

Working out again tomorrow.

Hope to see body adjust and weight start dropping again.

200lb barrier is driving me nuts.

Creatine will definitely make your retain water. I think the only way to see your true weight is to go without creatine for 2-3 days while drinking a lot of water.
I haven't cut out carbs but i have cut out grains. For the past week and a half I've had no bread and milk (with the exception of today, which will be a small cheat.. enjoying coffee with milk and my sister's famous chicken cutlets at night.) Lots of veggies, good fats, fish, and some fruits.

erickpl
07-19-2013, 8:12am
I'm a bit late to this game, but I'll join in.

Went to the doc back in 2010 and weighed in at 198, the heaviest I've ever been. Cholesterol was high, and BP should have had me hospitalized.

Changed my eating to white meats (chicken, pork, fish) with only the occasional red meat. LOTS more veggies (love to steam or grill them). Cut the caffeine 100% out of my diet. So when I drink iced tea, it's decaf. Add lemon, no problems. :)

Hit the gym for a lot of cardio (elliptical, walking) and weight work. In the course of about 5 months, I lost 20 lbs to about 178. But it fluctuated between that and 173 or so.

This got my wife back into the gym too and she started losing weight as well and getting in better shape (we're not getting any younger ya know!). When she was diagnosed with MS, we kept up the regimen as it keeps her symptoms at bay.

We decided to join a couch to 5k program and ran our first 5k in April. I had run them before in high school (track and cross country, when I was 5'9" and 120 lbs LOL), but not as an adult. We both finished with decent times and less weight.

Loving the cardio and body sculpting results from running, but my knees hate it.

In the midst of that class, started a program to do a triathlon. So now we incorporated swimming, which we both love, and biking. Bought Specialized carbon fiber bikes as our mountain bikes were made out of iron from Titanic I think.

Raced our first sprint tri (400m swim, 8 mile bike, 5k run). I finished 16th in my age group, 1 place behind one of our coaches :). She finished 15th in hers. I finished as the 129th male and she the 128th female. :) Over 450 participants, so I'm happy with that. I wasn't happy with my run (had to walk about 1/3 of it), so I've been working on that. Lowered my 5k times by about 4 minutes by running in the afternoon heat and humidity to really tax my system. I figure if I can run in that crap (90+ degrees with high humidity), race mornings should be a lot easier. It seems to work, and I sweat off a LOT during this time, so it has helped there too.

We signed up for an open water triathlon for this Saturday swimming in the TN river. We both scuba so open water doesn't bother us (above or below the surface). But this bike ride is longer at 12 miles. But that's not bad at all. Our weekly rides are usually over 25 miles.

My weight for these races has been 168-170 and I feel better than I've felt in years. I'm not really trying to lose weight, but I'm maintaining 170 pretty much consistently.

No matter how old you are, consider trying bike, run, swim programs, even if you don't do a triathlon. They work different muscle groups, really help with your cardio, and help you burn calories.

I'm still doing weights and Body Pump classes and my winter plan is to kick that portion up a notch. It may mean my weight goes up a bit, but THAT gain I can live with if I add muscle.

A few pics from the first 5k:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/skimblz/Cookie%20Dash%202013/IMG_1944_zps64fcbd44.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/skimblz/Cookie%20Dash%202013/IMG_1952_zpsb5a73887.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/skimblz/Cookie%20Dash%202013/IMG_1933_zps0f2ad8bb.jpg

A few pics from the triathlon:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/skimblz/HSV%20Sprint%20Tri%202013/1044698_632613220084102_1462073281_n_zps7497f836.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/skimblz/HSV%20Sprint%20Tri%202013/finish_1_zpse50a6fef-1.jpg

That one is fun because as I'm finishing my second lap, my wife is just starting hers. She's cheering me on, but some Gomer parked his company's Divorce truck and it lined up just between us. So it looks like I'm running away while she is yelling at me. LOL

During all this training, I kept having cramp issues in my sides and legs. Turns out I was iron deficient, which isn't too common in men. With all the endurance training, my iron really dropped, which can restrict the red blood cells from getting oxygen to your muscles. Added an iron supplement to my diet and found myself not nearly as tired and have had virtually no cramping issues since. So if you do undertake an exercise regimen, keep that kind of stuff in mind. After a bit of regular exercise, check with your doctor and get blood work done just so you can see where you are. Ideally, you'll have that done before starting, so you have a baseline to measure against.

My BP is down around normal now and my cholesterol has dropped significantly (though I do take meds for both - after my physical in September, they may be removed). I can take my heart rate from rest to threshhold with heavy work, but it returns to a normal rate quickly, which is a great sign.

Broken Wind
07-19-2013, 9:15am
Good story, Erickpl. Congratulations to both you and your lovely wife! I used to do my workouts in the heat of the day too, but I can't take heat like that anymore.

erickpl
07-19-2013, 9:52am
She's become very sensitive to the heat too, so she'll do runs in the morning or on the treadmill at the gym. It kicks my butt too, but I recover fairly quickly from it.

bradc6
07-19-2013, 10:32am
With it raining almost every day this month, I've only gotten in 3 rides for a total of 85 miles. Last month was better at 440 miles.

LilRedCorvette
07-19-2013, 5:04pm
Only 5 lbs away from my final goal! :hurray: :dance:

...Whitepower...
07-24-2013, 2:40pm
Only 5 lbs away from my final goal! :hurray: :dance:

LilRedCorvette
07-24-2013, 9:30pm
Thanks! I thought for sure that I would gain due to my annual club picnic (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/whats-cooking/54676-my-corvette-club-annual-picnic-menu.html#post1005802), but I actually lost a pound. :cool: Must have been all the running around/stress from planning.

DAB
07-25-2013, 2:26pm
size 38 waist. ordered pants today. last fall i was wearing size 44 waist. :hurray:

down 58 from last fall. :dance: :DAB:

Punk Boy
08-11-2013, 7:28pm
gonna meet up with crossfit tomorrow.... had lost interest in loosing weight and want to get a little more off before the wedding... down about 45 right now....

Cybercowboy
08-15-2013, 8:52pm
Still just down 32 lbs and holding at 228, look OK, want to go down 8 more but I'm svelte at 228. Sorta. Found ways to eat eggs 39 different ways, beef 19, pork 156.

LilRedCorvette
08-16-2013, 12:44pm
Just 3 lbs away from final goal. :hurray: C'mon already....:lol: :banghead:

Cybercowboy
09-04-2013, 9:04pm
Down 40 lbs after 6 months.

Olustee bus
09-10-2013, 9:03am
Folks around here are dropping weight with a product called Plexxus. My wife started on it yesterday.

LilRedCorvette
09-11-2013, 1:01pm
Had achieved my goal...although I'm getting negative comments from a few in my current gang of friends. They didn't know me when I was actually 5-7 lbs less than my current weight, and only knew me when I was on a lot of prednisone the last few years. I am short with a small frame and my current weight is right on par on a lot of medical charts, so I am not going to let it bother me. Judging from my cup size, I am by no means emaciated. :rofl:

GS Ragtop
09-23-2013, 7:41am
"Blah, blah, blah...Judging from my cup size, I am by no means emaciated." :rofl:

You cannot post that without pics! :slap: :D

Congrats on making and sticking to your goal weight. :seasix:

I've been taking the slow, but steady route. Since retiring 18 months ago, I'm down 40 pounds with another 20 to get to goal weight (5'8", started at 217). :hurray:

Will
09-27-2013, 8:36am
Well, it's been almost 3 full months since I fell off the wagon. Gained back 7 lbs. of the 20lbs. I had lost. I'm guessing/hoping at least 2 lbs. of that is just water weight, so really about 5 lbs. of actual fat added.

Falling off the wagon and getting lazy for that long is bad, but on the bright side the damage was pretty minimal thanks to some of the habits becoming normal for me and carrying over during my sinful ways. Also my belt notch did not change, although I was close to moving down another notch 3 months ago and now I'm close to moving up a notch, hence the wake-up call.

Groceries are purchased, menu is set, weather is great for a whole lot of grilling chicken breasts for dinner.

Going AT LEAST moderately low carb (< 100g per day) at first as well to help with a kick-start, going to try for <50g a day though for the first week. Eggs for lunch (1 large egg mixed with 1/2 cup carton egg white) with peppers, onion, tomato, and some shredded cheddar.

Also it's cool enough now for Jasper and I to take two 30 minute walks a day instead of one early in the AM. Been doing that for a couple weeks now.

Assuming at least 1 lb of water weight, 1 lb per week fat loss will finally get me sub-200lbs just in time for Thanksgiving. But I'm going to shoot for 1.5 lbs per week and 195 lbs goal weight by Thanksgiving so I can stay under 200 lbs through Christmas.

This is the first time I've ever fallen off the wagon and not undone all my progress, so I'm pretty pumped to be starting again from a much lower starting point.

Got a new spreadsheet started for Diet #2. :dance:

Gotta get back into this thread frequently too. Really kept me on track from March - July.

DAB
09-27-2013, 9:57am
Been at 229 for last few days. was 291 a year ago. want to drop 7 more and then stabilize. :smash: :DAB:

Will
09-28-2013, 6:39am
Good Lord. I lost 4 lbs of water weight over night. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/willbridges1982/Smilies/emot-stare.gif

206.6 lbs. So that's awesome, looks like I only gained 3-4 lbs of fat in 3 months off the wagon.

Cybercowboy
10-08-2013, 7:44pm
Eh, down to 220 lost 40 lbs since March.

Just noticed I already stated this. :rofl:

LilRedCorvette
10-25-2013, 9:33am
BTW, Trader Joe's (if any of you have one nearby) has nonfat pumpkin flavored Greek yogurt right now. It is the sheit! :yum:

I find the sugar content in it a bit high though, so when this stuff runs out, I'll make my own using plain nonfat yogurt, a little bit of canned pumpkin, small drizzle of honey, a big dash of cinnamon and smaller dashes of clove and ginger. :seasix:

Yamma
10-25-2013, 8:06pm
BTW, Trader Joe's (if any of you have one nearby) has nonfat pumpkin flavored Greek yogurt right now. It is the sheit! :yum:

I find the sugar content in it a bit high though, so when this stuff runs out, I'll make my own using plain nonfat yogurt, a little bit of canned pumpkin, small drizzle of honey, a big dash of cinnamon and smaller dashes of clove and ginger. :seasix:

That sounds amazing! I might have to try that!

DAB
11-01-2013, 9:32am
225 this morning (6'-5"), down from 291 last october (that's minus 66 for those who are math challenged). :smash:

one doc says 205-210 is his idea for me, another says 220-225....i like him better.

no special diet, just good, healthy home made food for the last 13 months. and using "Lose It" app (it's free).

DAB
11-01-2013, 9:37am
for comparison, a cubic foot of water (our bodies are mostly water) weighs 62.4 pounds....so that's like losing a cubic foot of volume.....:eek:

LilRedCorvette
11-04-2013, 1:39pm
That sounds amazing! I might have to try that!

Do post back what you think if you try it...I still have a supply of the Trader Joe's stuff, but once it's gone, I'll probably go for it, too. :yesnod: I actually added some extra pumpkin spice to the ready made one and liked it better...

Also thinking of adding key lime juice (and maybe a bit of honey) to nonfat Greek yogurt...think it'll be a good one for summer. :seasix: The ones ready-made in that flavor at the store are a bit too sweet for my taste...

LilRedCorvette
11-04-2013, 1:41pm
225 this morning (6'-5"), down from 291 last october (that's minus 66 for those who are math challenged). :smash:

one doc says 205-210 is his idea for me, another says 220-225....i like him better.

no special diet, just good, healthy home made food for the last 13 months. and using "Lose It" app (it's free).

for comparison, a cubic foot of water (our bodies are mostly water) weighs 62.4 pounds....so that's like losing a cubic foot of volume.....:eek:

Holy sheit :eek: that's awesome. :seasix: :cert:

...Whitepower...
11-04-2013, 1:58pm
Put up or shut up time.

I told myself when i hit 25 minutes i'll sign up for a 10k... This way i can hit a target of less than an hour with some room to spare. We'll see how it goes.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2uzqbeg.jpg

LilRedCorvette
11-04-2013, 6:43pm
Surpassed all goals and was just maintaining at this point, but got somewhere I never thought I'd be...and, they fit!!!

:dance: :hurray: :dance: :hurray:

Holy cow. :faint:

Yamma
11-08-2013, 10:35am
Total of 17 lbs lost now since August and with access to a gym again I'm finally able to start hitting the weights. Feeling and looking better than I think I ever have. :seasix:

snide
11-08-2013, 10:45am
Total of 17 lbs lost now since August and with access to a gym again I'm finally able to start hitting the weights. Feeling and looking better than I think I ever have. :seasix:

Pics? :leaving:

DAB
11-08-2013, 10:50am
225 for second day running. :hurray: my goal is 3 more. one doc agrees, other doc says 210 :skep: i don't like him as much.

291 last october, that down 66. :eek: :dance: :hurray:

Will
11-21-2013, 8:15am
200.0 lbs exactly this morning.

Soooooooo close.

22 lbs lost so far this year.

Good to be back on the wagon, had some Halloween Candy and Cookies and it didn't hurt because I budgeted for them appropriately. Also baked some this past weekend and didn't hurt my progress.

Always learning more about how my body reacts to different things.

Feel pretty confident I can make it through Thanksgiving vacation without backtracking.

DAB
11-21-2013, 11:36am
224.0 this morning. :hurray::hurray:

2 more to hit my goal of losing 50 from when i started tracking last year.

feeling good, looking....eh, never mind that part. :slap:

LilRedCorvette
11-30-2013, 6:30pm
Had some leftover cranberry sauce and, since I absolutely hate to waste food, mixed it with some nonfat Greek yogurt for a snack. It was the sheit! :yum:

Will
12-06-2013, 8:06am
BOOM.

Smashed through that 200lb glass ceiling (or I suppose floor would be more accurate).

198.6 lbs this AM.

My 7 day average is at 201, so still a few more days of work to go to be solidly and safeily sub-200lbs.

:seasix:

DAB
12-06-2013, 11:44am
it appears that my body has decided that it's comfy at 225 plus or minus 1.

i'm good with that.

Blademaker
12-07-2013, 10:43pm
Good news: I lost 30 lbs without trying between September and the 1 st of November.

Bad news: Went to the Doc and found out I am diabetic.

Shit

But, it could have been a helluva lot worse.
Controlled by pills, my glucose level has dropped over 200 points over a month.

Eating better than I ever have, feeling 100% better.