PDA

View Full Version : Maker's Mark fans.......

MEC5LADY
02-11-2013, 4:49pm
Saw this today:

Maker's Mark to reduce alcohol content to meet demand, executives say (http://www.kypost.com/dpps/money/makers-mark-to-reduce-alcohol-content-to-meet-demand-executives-say_8239944)

Datawiz
02-11-2013, 4:51pm
:sadangel:

snide
02-11-2013, 4:56pm
Yep, got the email yesterday. :(

simpleman68
02-11-2013, 4:58pm
Not that big a change. On a side note, I'll be sipping some Mac 18 tonight anyhoo. :dance:
Scott

lander
02-11-2013, 4:58pm
Rookies. Just drink more. Pshaw....

NeedSpeed
02-11-2013, 4:59pm
I've been drinkin this:

http://www.jimbeam.com/images/devilscut/devils_cut_bottle_shot.png

Stangkiller
02-11-2013, 5:03pm
I've been drinkin this:

How is it?

NeedSpeed
02-11-2013, 5:25pm
How is it?

I love it. Very smooth.

But that damn 90 proof will sneak up on ya. :shots:

I think it does get a little more flavor from the wood if it's truly how they make it:

As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation—that's the "Angel's Share." After aging, when the bourbon is dumped out of the barrel, a certain amount of whiskey is left trapped within the wood of every barrel.
We call that the "devil's cut."

To create Jim Beam® Devil's Cut®, an extraordinary new bourbon experience, we developed a proprietary process that actually pulls the rich whiskey trapped inside the barrels' wood after they're emptied. We hold this barrel-treated extract until it develops the proper balance of bourbon notes, then blend it with 6 year old bourbon and bottle at 90 proof. The result: a robust, premium bourbon with deep color, aroma and character.

Cybercowboy
02-11-2013, 5:58pm
The best way to pull a liquid out of wood would be to put it in a vacuum chamber, then distill the vapor that is pulled out of the chamber. At least that's my best guess how to do it, plus the barrels would be unaffected and could be reused or whatever they hell they do with used whiskey barrels. I don't drink the stuff very often.

Grey Ghost
02-11-2013, 7:33pm
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7Hzy3gWFu2Ya_4Ln8o8gtTCo8GwoQlfquKC_um4E_KLJ-CbUy

DAB
02-11-2013, 7:38pm
The best way to pull a liquid out of wood would be to put it in a vacuum chamber, then distill the vapor that is pulled out of the chamber. At least that's my best guess how to do it, plus the barrels would be unaffected and could be reused or whatever they hell they do with used whiskey barrels. I don't drink the stuff very often.

per the tour at Maker's last year, they only use the barrels once to make Bourbon. they are then either sent to Scotland to make Scotch, or if in poor shape, used to make planters.

Dave
02-11-2013, 9:23pm
So they say they didn't want to simply raise the price. Gee... I wonder if they're going to lower the price since I'm getting less than I used to be paying for. I can always add my OWN water if I so desired.

Blademaker
02-11-2013, 9:33pm
I remember when Jack Daniels lowered the proof on their corn likker....

Craig
02-11-2013, 9:40pm
I don't understand what in the process will lower production cost and lower proof, without reducing quality. The supply and demand curve can be adjusted without changing the product, so it's not a demand issue. Something else is going on.

LilRedCorvette
02-11-2013, 9:57pm
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7Hzy3gWFu2Ya_4Ln8o8gtTCo8GwoQlfquKC_um4E_KLJ-CbUy

And the subject of Billy Idol's song...

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Yell_%28whiskey%29

"Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones was once known to be an avid drinker of Rebel Yell. In fact, Billy Idol has said in his episode of VH1 Storytellers that his hit "Rebel Yell" was inspired upon joining Richards, Mick Jagger and Ron Wood in taking swigs from a bottle of Rebel Yell at a gathering they all attended. He liked the sound of the brand name, and said he recalled that he actually asked if they (Jagger and Richards) had no objections to his use of the brand name for a future song title."

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell - YouTube

Last night a little dancer
Came dancin' to my door
Last night a little angel
Came pumpin' on my floor
She said come baby
You got a license for love
And if it expires
Bring Hell from above because

In the midnight hour she cried “more, more, more”
With a rebel yell she cried “more, more, more”
In the midnight hour, babe “more, more, more”
With a rebel yell, “more, more, more”
More, more, more

She don't like slavery, she won't sit and beg
But when I'm tired and lonely she sees me to bed
What set you free and brought you to me, babe?
What set you free? I need you here by me, because

In the midnight hour, she cried “more, more, more”
In the midnight hour babe “more, more, more”
With a rebel yell “more, more, more”

He lives in his own heaven
Collects it to go from the seven eleven
Well, he's out all night to collect a fare
Just as long, just as long it don't mess up his hair

I walked the world to you, babe
A thousand miles for you
I dried your tears of pain
A million times to you

I'd sell my soul for you, babe
For money to burn for you
I'd give you all and have none, babe
Just to, just to, just to, to have you here by me, because

In the midnight hour, she cried “more, more, more”
In the midnight hour babe “more, more, more”
“More, more, more”

Oh yeah, a little baby
She want more, more, more, more, more, more
Oh yeah, a little angel
She want more, more, more, more, more

Rebel Yell lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., CHRYSALIS MUSIC GROUP

Milton Fox
02-11-2013, 10:56pm
Rookies. Just drink more. Pshaw....

Yep just pour in 6% more into the glass...:datawiz:

Craig
02-11-2013, 11:03pm
Yep just pour in 6% more into the glass...:datawiz:

I don't think that's the issue. Why would you want to drink more of something that isn't as good as it used to be?

BuckyThreadkiller
02-11-2013, 11:03pm
I sent Bill Samuels a note telling him how disappointed I was to hear this.

He pointed me to this, posted on their website:

Thanks for your feedback!

A lot of people took the time to share their thoughts regarding our recent announcement. We always appreciate open and honest conversation about Maker’s Mark and we’ve gotten plenty of feedback, both supportive and otherwise. Because there are so many comments, it’s hard for an old guy like me to respond, particularly 140 characters at a time. Now that I’ve had time to compose my thoughts, please allow me to try to answer most of the questions we’re hearing.

And by the way, I asked Rob if I could write this response since many people have wondered if I’m on board with the decision to lower the alcohol-by-volume (ABV) level. I am, and here’s why.

First, it’s important to understand that our primary focus now and for the past 50 years hasn’t changed. It’s product quality and consistency, batch-to-batch, year-to-year, with the primary measure of that consistency being the unique Maker’s Mark taste profile. That’s all that truly matters in the end.

Since we’re a one-brand company that’s never purchased bourbon from other distillers when supplies are short, forecasting is very difficult. Over the years, our one variable that helps us avoid market shortages has been the age of the whisky in the Maker’s bottle. That range is between five years nine months and seven years. Because Maker’s Mark is aged to taste, Dad never put a specific age statement on the bottle. It wasn’t the age that mattered; it was the taste, the quality and the consistency.

Some people are asking why we didn’t just raise the price if demand is an issue. We don’t want to price Maker’s Mark out of reach. Dad’s intention when he created this brand was to make good-tasting bourbon accessible and to bring more fans into the fold, not to make it exclusive. And, with regard to the price, the value of Maker’s Mark isn’t set by alcohol volume. It’s about the quality of the recipe and ingredients that go into it, all the handcrafting that goes into the production and how it tastes.

Some of you have questioned how we reduce the alcohol content. The fact is, other than barrel-strength bourbons, all bourbons are cut with water to achieve the desired proof for bottling. This is a natural step in the bourbon-making process. Maker’s Mark has always been made this way and will continue to be made this way.

As we looked at potential solutions to address the shortage, we agreed again that the most important thing was whether it tastes the same. The distillery made up different batches that Rob and I tested every evening over the course of a month. Every batch at 42% ABV had the same taste profile that we’ve always had. Then, we validated our own tastings with structured consumer research and the Tasting Panel at the distillery, who all agreed: there’s no difference in the taste.

For those of you who have questioned if the supply problem is real, I can assure you that it is. While not every part of the country has seen shortages yet, many have, and the demand is continuing to grow at a pace we’ve never before experienced. While we are investing today to expand capacity for the future, by producing 42% ABV Maker’s Mark we’ll be able to better meet our ongoing supply issues without compromising the taste.

Ultimately, all I can ask is that you reserve judgment until you actually taste the whisky, like I did. If you can make it down to the distillery, we’re doing tastings every day with the 42% ABV whisky to give you a first-hand opportunity to try it for yourself. If you can’t make it to the distillery, please give it a try when it gets to your city. And please write me back at that point. I want to hear what you think.

In the meantime, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to write us a note. It shows that you care about Maker’s Mark, and that’s what we’ve been striving for over the past 50 years. I hope you’ll give us the chance to continue earning that devotion and allow us to prove that we didn’t screw up your whisky. All the best.

Sincerely,

Bill Samuels, Jr.
Chairman Emeritus
Ambassador-at-Large

DAB
02-11-2013, 11:08pm
Perhaps worth a revisit this year as part of BRIII?

Craig
02-11-2013, 11:10pm
So they're cutting it more, for more volume.

I'm not a Makers fan, but there's no way that doesnt affect taste. Bad move.

erickpl
02-12-2013, 9:21am
I enjoy Makers, but I also enjoy other bourbons. Apparently, I'll be enjoying the others more for a while. :)

Four Roses (small batch only please)
Russell's Reserve
Woodford Reserve
Blanton's

All will be getting more business apparently. :)

Good to have options.

02-12-2013, 3:24pm
i think people are over reacting....but i don't buy it. i'll stick with my evan williams singles.

Yamma
02-12-2013, 4:41pm
I've been drinkin this:

I love it. Very smooth.

But that damn 90 proof will sneak up on ya. :shots:

I think it does get a little more flavor from the wood if it's truly how they make it:

Truer words were never spoken. Neighbor's 75 year old mom drank me under the table with that stuff. Haven't touched hard liquor in a couple months now. :rofl:

NeedSpeed
02-12-2013, 7:06pm
Truer words were never spoken. Neighbor's 75 year old mom drank me under the table with that stuff. Haven't touched hard liquor in a couple months now. :rofl:

It's easy to forget it's stronger, especially being easier to drink.

MrPeabody
02-12-2013, 7:10pm
Pffftt. Tanqueray 94 proof FTW.:seasix:

Dave
02-12-2013, 10:41pm
I sent Bill Samuels a note telling him how disappointed I was to hear this.

He pointed me to this, posted on their website:

I saw Bill's comments. Very disappointed.
We don't want to just raise prices, so we're going to give you less of what you're paying for in each bottle, which is the SAME as raising prices.

I can cut it with my own water, which is somewhat cheaper than what water costs when it's sold in bourbon bottles.

C5Nate
02-12-2013, 10:55pm
Hopefully they wont cut the keg reserved with my name on it.

lander
02-17-2013, 4:30pm
Just read that they have reversed the decision and will not reduce the alcohol content.