PDA

View Full Version : Another run in with the Law today

YorkL8apex
12-18-2010, 2:32pm
Well it seems I just have a knack for drawing the Law to me.

I was out on Surrender Road in Yorktown in one of the huge fields about a 1/4 mile from the road throwing a ball for the dogs to chase. I was behind a hill so not visible from the road.

As I headed back to the car I saw a Park Ranger stop next to my car and turn on his lights. He saw me coming across the field with the dogs on leash and got out of his car, faced me, and put his hands on his hips and jsut stared as I walked across the field.:toetap:

At about 25 yards I said "Hi" and he said "Mind telling me what you are doing?"

Long story short, I was not parked in an approved parking area and was not supossed to have the dogs off lease (I told him I was letting them chase the ball). :nono: He asked for licence and registration and had me stand by my car while he ran it.

In the end he gave me a warning and let me know he could have fined me $100 for "off roading" in a National Park and $75 for each dog off leash.

He was an ok guy and we wound up talking a while after he got the offical stuff out of the way. He told me to park in an official area and as long as I was off the road they really didn't mind folks letting their dogs run as long as they did not get complaints. He even told me about a couple of fields off the beaten path to check out in the park.

thegreenman
12-18-2010, 5:33pm
I am glad it worked out even tough you were tearing up our national Park, ruining the park for everyone else and letting your dogs chase down some precious defenseless wildlife. :lolsmile:

PortDawg
12-18-2010, 6:10pm
You're a rebel Tony...

YorkL8apex
12-18-2010, 6:23pm
You're a rebel Tony...:lolsmile::lolsmile:

Well I was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt:flasher:

Eagleeye
12-18-2010, 9:58pm
Next time leave the dogs and ... build a fire, turn up the Ipod, light up a joint, pop a brew AND THEY WILL NEVER SEE YOU ! Life's that way sometimes...

SurfnSun
12-18-2010, 10:01pm
unreal! Pretty easy to see VA is in a budget crunch with all the tickets they give out these days.

I got one for my window tint a couple of weeks ago.

lutzdog
12-20-2010, 9:54pm
watch out for running in and getting Chinese while parking in the firelane

PortDawg
12-21-2010, 6:02am
watch out for running in and getting Chinese while parking in the firelane

We can't be speaking from personal experience??

Rick Williams
01-23-2011, 12:27pm
Well it seems I just have a knack for drawing the Law to me.

I was out on Surrender Road in Yorktown in one of the huge fields about a 1/4 mile from the road throwing a ball for the dogs to chase. I was behind a hill so not visible from the road.

As I headed back to the car I saw a Park Ranger stop next to my car and turn on his lights. He saw me coming across the field with the dogs on leash and got out of his car, faced me, and put his hands on his hips and jsut stared as I walked across the field.:toetap:

At about 25 yards I said "Hi" and he said "Mind telling me what you are doing?"

Long story short, I was not parked in an approved parking area and was not supossed to have the dogs off lease (I told him I was letting them chase the ball). :nono: He asked for licence and registration and had me stand by my car while he ran it.

In the end he gave me a warning and let me know he could have fined me $100 for "off roading" in a National Park and $75 for each dog off leash.

He was an ok guy and we wound up talking a while after he got the offical stuff out of the way. He told me to park in an official area and as long as I was off the road they really didn't mind folks letting their dogs run as long as they did not get complaints. He even told me about a couple of fields off the beaten path to check out in the park.
Glad you had the professional ability to the potential negative experience into a "positive" one..
The Ranger did his job..
You helped him do it better ...

Stay safe
Rick

Iron Chef
01-23-2011, 3:05pm

So, he gives you a warning for having your dog off a leash along with the threat of a citation and then tells you he really doesn't mind folks having their dogs off the leash? :rolleyes:

"The speed limit here is 60 and I could write you up for speeding, but we really don't mind people going 90."

Park Rangers clearly have a lot of spare time. :lolsmile: