PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Govt. sues BP

Exotix
12-15-2010, 9:56pm
Government sues BP, 8 others in Gulf oil spill.

The goal is to recover billions of dollars from the largest offshore spill in U.S. history.

Today

Government sues BP, 8 others in Gulf oil spill - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40684304/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/)

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department on Wednesday sued BP and eight other companies in the Gulf oil spill disaster in an effort to recover billions of dollars from the largest offshore spill in U.S. history.

The Obama administration's lawsuit asks that the companies be held liable without limitation under the Oil Pollution Act for all removal costs and damages caused by the oil spill, including damages to natural resources.

The lawsuit also seeks civil penalties under the Clean Water Act.

"We intend to prove these violations caused or contributed to the massive oil spill," Attorney General Eric Holder said at a news conference.

The federal lawsuit says inadequate cementing of the well contributed to the disaster.

Similar charges were made by BP in its internal investigation, and by the independent presidential oil spill commission. But Halliburton Co., the contractor in charge of mixing and pumping the cement, is not named in the suit.

Holder said it is conceivable that additional defendants could be added to the lawsuit. "This is an ongoing process," the attorney general said.

The amount of damages and the extent of injuries sustained by the United States as a result of the Deepwater Horizon Spill are not yet fully known, the lawsuit states.

An explosion that killed 11 workers at BP's Macondo well last April led to oil spewing from the company's undersea well — more than 200 million gallons in all by the government's estimate. BP disputes the figure.

The department filed the suit in federal court in New Orleans.

The other defendants in the case are Anadarko Exploration & Production LP and Anadarko Petroleum Corp.; MOEX Offshore 2007 LLC; Triton Asset Leasing GMBH; Transocean Holdings LLC and Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc. and Transocean Deepwater Inc.; and Transocean's insurer, QBE Underwriting Ltd./Lloyd's Syndicate 1036.

Anadarko and MOEX are minority owners of the well that blew out. Transocean owned the rig that BP was leasing.

Transocean disputed the allegations, insisting it should not be held liable for the actions of others.

"No drilling contractor has ever been held liable for discharges from a well under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990," the company said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press.

"The responsibility for hydrocarbons discharged from a well lies solely with its owner and operator."

QBE/Lloyd's can be held liable only up to the amount of insurance policy coverage under the Oil Pollution Act and is not being sued under the Clean Water Act.

The lawsuit alleges that safety and operating regulations were violated in the period leading up to April 20.

It says that the defendants failed to keep the Macondo well under control during that period and failed to use the best available and safest drilling technology to monitor the well's conditions.

They also failed to maintain continuous surveillance and failed to maintain equipment and material that were available and necessary to ensure the safety and protection of personnel, equipment, natural resources and the environment, the suit charges.

Democratic Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass., a member of the House energy panel that is investigating the spill, acknowledged the government will have a tough fight on its hands since BP has already taken an aggressive stance regarding its liability.

"It may have taken these companies months to cap their well, but they will spend years trying to cap their financial obligations to the people of the Gulf," Markey said.
"That is why it is vital for the Obama administration to swiftly advance this legal action."

Before Wednesday, potential class-action lawsuits had been filed in the Gulf oil spill by fishing and seafood interests, the tourism industry, restaurants and clubs, property owners losing vacation renters — even vacationers who claim the spill forced them to cancel and lose a deposit.

So far, more than 300 suits have been spawned by the spill and consolidated in federal court in New Orleans.

Wednesday's move by the Justice Department follows the Obama administration's decision not to open new areas of the eastern Gulf and Atlantic seaboard to drilling.

That marked a reversal from an earlier decision to hunt for oil and gas, an announcement the president himself made last spring three weeks before the spill.

The staff of a presidentially appointed commission looking into the spill has said that the disaster resulted from questionable decisions and management failures by three companies: BP, the well owner and operator; Transocean, the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig; and Halliburton.

The panel found 11 decisions made by these companies increased risk. Most saved time, and all but one had a safer alternative.

Separately, an administrator is doling out money to Gulf oil spill victims from a $20 billion fund of BP money.

The Justice Department isn't the first government entity to sue BP.

Alabama Attorney General Troy King filed federal lawsuits in August on behalf of the state against BP, rig owner Transocean, cement contractor Halliburton Energy Services Inc. and other companies that worked on the ill-fated drilling project.

U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier is presiding over most of the consolidated federal suits.

In September, Louisiana Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell's office asked Barbier to create a "government case track" to handle government-related suits separately from other claims.

The judge hasn't ruled on that request yet.

WikiLeaks ~ BP Suffered Well Blowout Before Gulf Disaster

WikiLeaks: BP Suffered Well Blowout Before Gulf - World Watch - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20025803-503543.html)

Secret U.S. diplomatic cables reveal that BP suffered a blowout after a gas leak in the Caucasus country of Azerbaijan in September 2008, a year and a half before another BP blowout killed 11 workers and started a leak that gushed millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

As cables about the 2008 blowout come to light, the Justice Department announced Wednesday it filed a civil suit seeking damages from BP and eight other companies for violating the Clean Water Act and the Oil Pollution Act.

In both the Azerbaijan blowout and the Gulf oil spill, BP blamed the accidents on a "bad cement job", the Guardian newspaper of London reported Wednesday evening.

Deepwater Horizon Time Frame Shot as it heads for Davy Jones Locker.

http://www.offshoreinjuries.com/media/images/Deepwater%20Horizon.Buring%20and%20Going%20down.%20016-w490.jpg

Kneel 8250
12-15-2010, 10:08pm
Excellent thread Exotix. Add in this thought.

Caucasus 2008, Montara 2009, Macondo 2010 all cemented by Halliburton.
All these are well blowouts after cementing.

Now I should get my notes but its late so spare me if my memory is out a little

Halliburton changed their cementing chemicals in July of 2008.

There may be no connection but it is hard not to draw the dots.

As an aside I would have highlighted a little more text but its not a biggie.

Exotix
12-15-2010, 10:12pm

I don't think it was a well written article but most of the time they aren't ... I wasn't impressed with my highlighting either ... it's all fragmented ... thanks for the input nonetheless ...

http://i51.tinypic.com/el3zh4.gif

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-15-2010, 10:16pm

taken alone without knowing the industry, one would come to the conclusion that the oil companies (the ones that own these prospects) are doing something seriously wrong in their drilling. BUT once one begins looking at incidents around the world an entirely different picture begins to emerge.

ChasC5
12-16-2010, 8:49am
Government sues BP, 8 others in Gulf oil spill.

The goal is to recover billions of dollars from the largest offshore spill in U.S. history.

Today

Government sues BP, 8 others in Gulf oil spill - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40684304/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/)

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department on Wednesday sued BP and eight other companies in the Gulf oil spill disaster in an effort to recover billions of dollars from the largest offshore spill in U.S. history.

The Obama administration's lawsuit asks that the companies be held liable without limitation under the Oil Pollution Act for all removal costs and damages caused by the oil spill, including damages to natural resources.

The lawsuit also seeks civil penalties under the Clean Water Act.

"We intend to prove these violations caused or contributed to the massive oil spill," Attorney General Eric Holder said at a news conference.

The federal lawsuit says inadequate cementing of the well contributed to the disaster.

Similar charges were made by BP in its internal investigation, and by the independent presidential oil spill commission. But Halliburton Co., the contractor in charge of mixing and pumping the cement, is not named in the suit.

Holder said it is conceivable that additional defendants could be added to the lawsuit. "This is an ongoing process," the attorney general said.

The amount of damages and the extent of injuries sustained by the United States as a result of the Deepwater Horizon Spill are not yet fully known, the lawsuit states.

An explosion that killed 11 workers at BP's Macondo well last April led to oil spewing from the company's undersea well — more than 200 million gallons in all by the government's estimate. BP disputes the figure.

The department filed the suit in federal court in New Orleans.

The other defendants in the case are Anadarko Exploration & Production LP and Anadarko Petroleum Corp.; MOEX Offshore 2007 LLC; Triton Asset Leasing GMBH; Transocean Holdings LLC and Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc. and Transocean Deepwater Inc.; and Transocean's insurer, QBE Underwriting Ltd./Lloyd's Syndicate 1036.

Anadarko and MOEX are minority owners of the well that blew out. Transocean owned the rig that BP was leasing.

Transocean disputed the allegations, insisting it should not be held liable for the actions of others.

"No drilling contractor has ever been held liable for discharges from a well under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990," the company said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press.

"The responsibility for hydrocarbons discharged from a well lies solely with its owner and operator."

QBE/Lloyd's can be held liable only up to the amount of insurance policy coverage under the Oil Pollution Act and is not being sued under the Clean Water Act.

The lawsuit alleges that safety and operating regulations were violated in the period leading up to April 20.

It says that the defendants failed to keep the Macondo well under control during that period and failed to use the best available and safest drilling technology to monitor the well's conditions.

They also failed to maintain continuous surveillance and failed to maintain equipment and material that were available and necessary to ensure the safety and protection of personnel, equipment, natural resources and the environment, the suit charges.

Democratic Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass., a member of the House energy panel that is investigating the spill, acknowledged the government will have a tough fight on its hands since BP has already taken an aggressive stance regarding its liability.

"It may have taken these companies months to cap their well, but they will spend years trying to cap their financial obligations to the people of the Gulf," Markey said.
"That is why it is vital for the Obama administration to swiftly advance this legal action."

Before Wednesday, potential class-action lawsuits had been filed in the Gulf oil spill by fishing and seafood interests, the tourism industry, restaurants and clubs, property owners losing vacation renters — even vacationers who claim the spill forced them to cancel and lose a deposit.

So far, more than 300 suits have been spawned by the spill and consolidated in federal court in New Orleans.

Wednesday's move by the Justice Department follows the Obama administration's decision not to open new areas of the eastern Gulf and Atlantic seaboard to drilling.

That marked a reversal from an earlier decision to hunt for oil and gas, an announcement the president himself made last spring three weeks before the spill.

The staff of a presidentially appointed commission looking into the spill has said that the disaster resulted from questionable decisions and management failures by three companies: BP, the well owner and operator; Transocean, the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig; and Halliburton.

The panel found 11 decisions made by these companies increased risk. Most saved time, and all but one had a safer alternative.

Separately, an administrator is doling out money to Gulf oil spill victims from a $20 billion fund of BP money.

The Justice Department isn't the first government entity to sue BP.

Alabama Attorney General Troy King filed federal lawsuits in August on behalf of the state against BP, rig owner Transocean, cement contractor Halliburton Energy Services Inc. and other companies that worked on the ill-fated drilling project.

U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier is presiding over most of the consolidated federal suits.

In September, Louisiana Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell's office asked Barbier to create a "government case track" to handle government-related suits separately from other claims.

The judge hasn't ruled on that request yet.

WikiLeaks ~ BP Suffered Well Blowout Before Gulf Disaster

WikiLeaks: BP Suffered Well Blowout Before Gulf - World Watch - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20025803-503543.html)

Secret U.S. diplomatic cables reveal that BP suffered a blowout after a gas leak in the Caucasus country of Azerbaijan in September 2008, a year and a half before another BP blowout killed 11 workers and started a leak that gushed millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

As cables about the 2008 blowout come to light, the Justice Department announced Wednesday it filed a civil suit seeking damages from BP and eight other companies for violating the Clean Water Act and the Oil Pollution Act.

In both the Azerbaijan blowout and the Gulf oil spill, BP blamed the accidents on a "bad cement job", the Guardian newspaper of London reported Wednesday evening.

Deepwater Horizon Time Frame Shot as it heads for Davy Jones Locker.

http://www.offshoreinjuries.com/media/images/Deepwater%20Horizon.Buring%20and%20Going%20down.%20016-w490.jpg

Start counting the denials ... and you better be ready to prove it to TxAg ... :D

ChasC5
12-16-2010, 9:26am
The only thing you prove is a toddler does a better job of arguing his/her point than you do with your vast education and experience. :yesnod:

Thanks for the complement; I think the world of you also. :cheers:

Kneel 8250
12-16-2010, 9:33am
Thanks for the complement; I think the world of you also. :cheers:

Chas are you a diabetic????? (serious question)

ChasC5
12-16-2010, 9:35am
Chas are you a diabetic????? (serious question)

NOPE ... but I love sweets. :D

Kneel 8250
12-16-2010, 9:44am
NOPE ... but I love sweets. :D

OK. Thanks Mate. I got worried about you last night. Thats all. (serious)

Back to topic.

Exotix
12-16-2010, 9:47am
Start counting the denials ... and you better be ready to prove it to TxAg ... :D

At least on Digital Corvettes we did a pretty thourough examination of the disaster ... what was it ? ... about 20,000 posts by the time they had to lock it down .... I suspect it was because anybody who had a vested interest in BP quickly sold their shares while the platform was still burning ...

About the only exciting moment instead of watching videos of pure benzene hyper-vent into the gulf every moment of every day moment while (R)'s cowarded besides BP (R) apologist Barton .... was that one neocon idiot who hijacked the thread by posting *Where's Obama ?* about 62 times in hysteria ... all we had to do was post up the Bush's Katrina timeline and that still didn't shut'em up ...

Kneel 8250
12-16-2010, 10:01am
At least on Digital Corvettes we did a pretty thourough examination of the disaster ... what was it ? ... about 20,000 posts by the time they had to lock it down .... I suspect it was because anybody who had a vested interest in BP quickly sold their shares while the platform was still burning ...

About the only exciting moment instead of watching videos of pure benzene hyper-vent into the gulf every moment of every day moment while (R)'s cowarded besides BP (R) apologist Barton .... was that one neocon idiot who hijacked the thread by posting *Where's Obama ?* about 62 times in hysteria ... all we had to do was post up the Bush's Katrina timeline and that still didn't shut'em up ...

So you admit that Obama didnt learn from Bush's mistake years before???
Now there is a fast learner eh. :D

Here is ya grinny Exotix.

Exotix
12-16-2010, 10:06am
So you admit that Obama didnt learn from Bush's mistake years before???
Now there is a fast learner eh. :D

Here is ya grinny Exotix.

As I remember, just mention how many people died with the disasters and man o man ... you got to see how a real American neocon thinks ... sad.

Exotix
12-16-2010, 10:09am
Translation, you didn't like to have the table turned on the anointed one.

How many times did barry go play golf during the disaster again?

Guess he was like OJ looking for the "real killer" there. :rofl:

Dude, I went down there to see for myself ... did you go down to Galveston or even the Misssissippi coast with your buddy neo-wacko Barbour who hysterically blamed Olbermann for all the lost tourist revenue ?

Kneel 8250
12-16-2010, 10:12am
As I remember, just mention how many people died with the disasters and man o man ... you got to see how a real American neocon thinks ... sad.

38000 Americans died on the roads in the US in 2009. Be nice if you were concerned about that number too eh????

25 Americans died in mine accidents in 2009. I havent seen you express concern for them either.

:D Here's ya grinny cause ya didnt do any homework before ya opened ya mouth again.

Exotix
12-16-2010, 10:14am
38000 Americans died on the roads in the US in 2009. Be nice if you were concerned about that number too eh????

25 Americans died in mine accidents in 2009. I havent seen you express concern for them either.

:D Here's ya grinny cause ya didnt do any homework before ya opened ya mouth again.

How many Aborigines died all during Australias' *cleansing* ?

Kneel 8250
12-16-2010, 10:16am
Dude, I went down there to see for myself ... did you go down to Galveston or even the Misssissippi coast with your buddy neo-wacko Barbour who hysterically blamed Olbermann for all the lost tourist revenue ?

Galveston was hit by the Gulf oil spill?????? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You really have no clue.

People told me you were intelligent Exotix. They were very wrong. :lol:

:D Here's ya grinny again. You just love those things eh?????

Exotix
12-16-2010, 10:18am
Galveston was hit by the Gulf oil spill?????? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You really have no clue.

People told me you were intelligent Exotix. They were very wrong. :lol:

:D Here's ya grinny again. You just love those things eh?????

Wow ... you're a quick one ... lemme guess ... BP learned how to save Walruses after it's Texas disaster ...

Kneel 8250
12-16-2010, 10:21am
How many Aborigines died all during Australias' *cleansing* ?

Once again you didnt do your homework. Care to rephrase that??????

Or better still post up your proof.

The answer to your question was NONE BTW as there was no cleansing within Australia.

:D Here's ya grinny for being WRONG yet again today.

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-16-2010, 11:19am
If anyone thinks that BP didn't know this was coming, those individuals should just pack up to the mountainous regions of Mexico and go live a hermit's life. ;)

Exotix
12-16-2010, 11:22am
I've been to Galveston more in my life than you have brain cells parrot boy.

You better know more about who you are trying insult before looking like dang fool when you fail at it. :yesnod:

Excellent !

So instead of hijacking this thread with your usual crap ... you have lots to say about how BP made drastic safety measures since Ixtoc 1 to the Texas City Refinery explosion to the Gulf Spill expecially in terms of it's other disasters globally such as in the North Sea (disaster(s) ...

Exotix
12-16-2010, 11:55am
Ah the irony.
Anyways...

You mean this?
Ixtoc I oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I_oil_spill)

Which the entry doesn't mention Galveston at all? :skep:

You do realize Texas City != Galveston right? :skep:

Only affect on Galveston I directly observed were some tar balls.
Which I've seen come and go in Galveston since I was a child, as have people my age and older.

I don't live, nor visit the North Sea so I don't know much of anything regarding that area. How many time have you visited or lived there to give us a first person account?

Thanks for participating in this thread as adults should do ... please continue ...

http://i56.tinypic.com/2rrqr10.jpg

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-16-2010, 12:04pm
Thanks for participating in this thread as adults should do ... please continue ...

:skep::skep::skep:

a portion of those tar balls are collected and sent for typing.....as far as I've heard, to date none of the tar balls washing ashore in Galveston can be attributed to Macondo.
Sorry to burst your bubble, Exotix.

Exotix
12-16-2010, 12:07pm
:skep::skep::skep:

a portion of those tar balls are collected and sent for typing.....as far as I've heard, to date none of the tar balls washing ashore in Galveston can be attributed to Macondo.
Sorry to burst your bubble, Exotix.

Another good post ... keep 'em com'n ... http://i56.tinypic.com/2rrqr10.jpg

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-16-2010, 12:11pm
Another good post ... keep 'em com'n ... http://i56.tinypic.com/2rrqr10.jpg

:skep::skep::skep::skep::skep::skep::skep::skep:

you'll REALLY like this one then.

Ixtoc-1 is not and never was a BP well. ;)

Oh and neither was Montaro!!

Exotix
12-16-2010, 12:22pm
:skep::skep::skep::skep::skep::skep::skep::skep:

you'll REALLY like this one then.

Ixtoc-1 is not and never was a BP well. ;)

Oh and neither was Montaro!!

Nice ! ... the exotix never minds when adults make arguements and provide for proofs ... expecially concerning Big Oil whose tentacles extend from the price at the pump as a function of the worlds energy needs and as a commodity on Wall Street and here where safety standards may or may not reflect such exasperating conditions espcially in terms of the Law ... as is the topic of this thread ...

Again, the exotix appreciates such extensive analysis(s) ...

ChasC5
12-16-2010, 8:27pm
Nice ! ... the exotix never minds when adults make arguements and provide for proofs ... expecially concerning Big Oil whose tentacles extend from the price at the pump as a function of the worlds energy needs and as a commodity on Wall Street and here where safety standards may or may not reflect such exasperating conditions espcially in terms of the Law ... as is the topic of this thread ...

Again, the exotix appreciates such extensive analysis(s) ...

:D:):yesnod: