PDA

View Full Version : GOP to Seniors- No Soup For You!

Z06PDQ
12-09-2010, 2:42pm
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Senate Republicans just followed their House colleagues and voted down a proposal to give $250 bonuses to every Social Security recipient.

Republicans said they didn't want to increase the nation's debt. George Voinovich, the Ohio Republican who is retiring this month, was among those voting no.
103Share
98 Comments

Voinovich spokeswoman Garrette Silverman said the senator voted no because the cost was not offset by savings or revenue elsewhere in the federal budget.

Although the votes for the measure outnumbered those against it, Democrats could not get the two-thirds majority required in the House to pass the measure under procedural rules, or the 60 votes required in the Senate.

Retirees' Social Security raises are linked to the cost of living, and measures used to assess inflation have not reflected a need to put more money in seniors' pockets for two straight years. Retirees' groups say those measures do not reflect the high percentage of Social Security income that goes to pay health care costs, which are rising.

Sherrod Brown, the Ohio Democrat, went to the Senate floor within minutes of the vote and sounded dumb-founded.

"I just stand here amazed at what just happened in the United States Senate, although I shouldn't be," Brown said. He contrasted Republicans' unwillingness to spend an estimated $13 billion to cover the one-time $250 bonuses for seniors with their insistence on extending Bush-era tax cuts that Brown said will cost $700 billion over ten years.

"I just don't get it," Brown said. "I know it's the Christmas season... You'd think there's be a little more generosity in their hearts."
Related topics: george voinovich, sherrod brown, social security Citing hard times all over, Republicans block $250 bonus for senior citizens | cleveland.com (http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/12/citing_hard_times_all_over_rep.html)

ChasC5
12-09-2010, 8:40pm
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Senate Republicans just followed their House colleagues and voted down a proposal to give $250 bonuses to every Social Security recipient.

Republicans said they didn't want to increase the nation's debt. George Voinovich, the Ohio Republican who is retiring this month, was among those voting no.
103Share
98 Comments

Voinovich spokeswoman Garrette Silverman said the senator voted no because the cost was not offset by savings or revenue elsewhere in the federal budget.

Although the votes for the measure outnumbered those against it, Democrats could not get the two-thirds majority required in the House to pass the measure under procedural rules, or the 60 votes required in the Senate.

Retirees' Social Security raises are linked to the cost of living, and measures used to assess inflation have not reflected a need to put more money in seniors' pockets for two straight years. Retirees' groups say those measures do not reflect the high percentage of Social Security income that goes to pay health care costs, which are rising.

Sherrod Brown, the Ohio Democrat, went to the Senate floor within minutes of the vote and sounded dumb-founded.

"I just stand here amazed at what just happened in the United States Senate, although I shouldn't be," Brown said. He contrasted Republicans' unwillingness to spend an estimated $13 billion to cover the one-time $250 bonuses for seniors with their insistence on extending Bush-era tax cuts that Brown said will cost $700 billion over ten years.

"I just don't get it," Brown said. "I know it's the Christmas season... You'd think there's be a little more generosity in their hearts."
Related topics: george voinovich, sherrod brown, social security Citing hard times all over, Republicans block $250 bonus for senior citizens | cleveland.com (http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/12/citing_hard_times_all_over_rep.html)

They are generous ... if you make enough that you don't need it.

SS Recipients are just looking for another hand-out ... :D

Peter Pan
12-12-2010, 5:30pm
I am working at the local soup kitchen during Christmas.

God Bless America

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-12-2010, 5:47pm

God Bless America

Very cool Peter Pan!!!

ChasC5
12-12-2010, 5:51pm

God Bless America

What are you serving? :)

Peter Pan
12-12-2010, 5:51pm
Very cool Peter Pan!!!

Thank you and do this along with working with the Special Olympics:cheers:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 8:14am

God Bless America

What are you serving? :)

I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but in Australia we normally serve SOUP at SOUP kitchens Chas. :lolsmile:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 8:18am
Hey Chas. Just in case you didnt notice Tinkerbell is not logged in so calling her out at this point in time makes you look ridiculous.

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 8:20am
I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but in Australia we normally serve SOUP at SOUP kitchens Chas. :lolsmile:

I‘m originally from Louisiana, and we sometimes call Seafood Gumbo a Soup.

My wife made a Smoking Azz Chili last week, and she calls that a Soup.

So when you serve Soup in Soup Kitchens … what exactly are you serving there partner? :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 8:25am

So when you serve Soup in Soup Kitchens … what exactly are you serving there partner? :D

SOUP !!!!!!! :lol:

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 8:36am
SOUP !!!!!!! :lol:

Come-on; don’t tell me you’re throwing some potatoes, noodles, half cooled chicken, peppers and onions in a pot of boiling water and calling that Soup?

Say it ain't so ... :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 8:57am

Soup is normally a broth made up of lots of different vegetables simmered on a stove over many hours to reduce the liquid content. :o_o:
Yair I can actually cook Chas and dont NEED a wife or Mother to do it for me.

:D

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:12am
Soup is normally a broth made up of lots of different vegetables simmered on a stove over many hours to reduce the liquid content. :o_o:
Yair I can actually cook Chas and dont NEED a wife or Mother to do it for me.

:D

It's not a need, but rather a pleasure that I get to enjoy.

I cook also, but that ain't my mission in life. :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:21am
It's not a need, but rather a pleasure that I get to enjoy.

I cook also, but that ain't my mission in life. :D

If I DONT cook I normally dont eat tho some people here in Texas have been very good to me and I have put on a little weight. Well actually a lot of weight if the truth be told. :D

Peter Pan
12-13-2010, 10:46am
Damn it was cold in San Antonio this morning in the high 20's must be global warming:dance:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 11:06am
Damn it was cold in San Antonio this morning in the high 20's must be global warming:dance:

Oh yair !!! Tell me about it. We had 26 and I refuse to go outside into the garage till it warms up a bit. The 73 still has a ways to go yet. Going to be nice when done tho.

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 11:28am
Oh yair !!! Tell me about it. We had 26 and I refuse to go outside into the garage till it warms up a bit. The 73 still has a ways to go yet. Going to be nice when done tho.

Have the guys shown up yet to start on the garage? They are going to be a bit chilly working out there! :willy:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 11:34am
Have the guys shown up yet to start on the garage? They are going to be a bit chilly working out there! :willy:

10:33 and still not here yet. Told you it was cold out. Vette is out of the garage in the cold and all.

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 11:43am
10:33 and still not here yet. Told you it was cold out. Vette is out of the garage in the cold and all.

figures. I wonder if they found the credit union?!?!?!
Poor Matilda!! Is she covered?

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 12:12pm
figures. I wonder if they found the credit union?!?!?!
Poor Matilda!! Is she covered?

Yair she has her blankie and nightie on like you asked me to do. :D
Warm and snug and sitting in the sunshine. The little there is of it. :lol:

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 12:45pm

20 would be Warm where I'm at ... how do you explain that? :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 1:19pm

12:20 and still not here yet. They do know the address right??????

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 2:10pm
12:20 and still not here yet. They do know the address right??????

1:00pm and they arrived. Demolition has started. :o_o:

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 2:27pm
1:00pm and they arrived. Demolition has started. :o_o:

good lord!! I thought they wanted to get an early start! Shouldn't take long for the demo tho.

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 2:35pm
good lord!! I thought they wanted to get an early start! Shouldn't take long for the demo tho.

Yair they did. Had a load of excuses that I laughed off for you.

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 2:44pm
Yair they did. Had a load of excuses that I laughed off for you.

Thanks Honey!!

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 5:01pm
Z06PDQ If you dont want your threads hijacked then all you have to do is say so and we wont. For as long as you dont. Easy Aint it.

Z06PDQ
12-13-2010, 5:34pm
I just don't like hypocrisy & that's why I called attention to it. Tink has been barking orders in her threads, but it's cool. got any demolition pics or somethin? post 'em up. :cheers:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 5:51pm
I just don't like hypocrisy & that's why I called attention to it. Tink has been barking orders in her threads, but it's cool. got any demolition pics or somethin? post 'em up. :cheers:

If I knew how to post pics I would take a few for you. Its a bit involved for an old F@RT like me. Copy this to there and all that crap. Something about links in there too. See if I can get Tinkerbell to put them up when she gets here. :D
Actually it looks like crap but hey ............. All timber and pipes hanging.

For the record. If I ever post in PR&C I dont mind if we go off the topic a bit.
In OT I normally like to take it off the topic. Some threads are serious tho. Use your common sense eh.

Z06PDQ
12-13-2010, 5:59pm
I used to hang out in CFOT PR&C. for the record, Tink is one of the more sane ones I butted heads with over there. she actually opened my eyes to facts regarding the oil/gas industry. hell, she's a Texan. that's worth something. :cheers:

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 7:54pm
I used to hang out in CFOT PR&C. for the record, Tink is one of the more sane ones I butted heads with over there. she actually opened my eyes to facts regarding the oil/gas industry. hell, she's a Texan. that's worth something. :cheers:

But I may have to question her choice of endorsements :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:04pm

Factually incorrect as she is NOT a Texan. However she does live in Texas.

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:05pm

I am waiting for the question Chas.

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:06pm

Not a true Texan; That’s a point booster … :cheers:

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 9:07pm

that's right! (but I got here as soon as I could)

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 9:07pm
Not a true Texan; That’s a point booster … :cheers:

Better than being from Illinois. :D

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:08pm
I am waiting for the question Chas.

Is this a Multiple Choice Question? :skep:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:10pm

Here I will quote you again being that you have the attention span of a kitten.

Who exactly does she endorse????? Your statement mate. Back it up.

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 9:12pm

attention span of a kitten.......well, that explains a few things..... :D

Peter Pan
12-13-2010, 9:12pm
that's right! (but I got here as soon as I could)

Same here I escaped Socalist California:D

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:15pm
Better than being from Illinois. :D

Like you, I live in Illinois, but am not from Illinois

I’m just a Car Ride or Plane Ride from wherever I what to be, which is far more important than where I’ve been or where I'm from.

:cheers:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:17pm
ChasC5
Vette Barn Crew

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel 8250
A whole 2 posts on topic???? Your Mum must be soooo proud of you.

Oh so now you’re keeping metrics?

Is that part of the topic or should Tinker can help you stay on Agenda?
This makes no sense at all. Caught up in the thrill of the chase again Chas??????
You really should settle down or you might suffer an anneurism. Remember that one?????

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:17pm

Are you on duty or off duty … ? :skep:

When exactly does Tinker let you out into the back yard? :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:20pm
Are you on duty or off duty … ? :skep:

When exactly does Tinker let you out into the back yard? :D

Well you know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so sometimes I need to go out there and practice. BTW I cooked dinner tonight did you?????? :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:21pm
Like you, I live in Illinois, but am not from Illinois

I’m just a Car Ride or Plane Ride from wherever I what to be, which is far more important than where I’ve been or where I'm from.

:cheers:

I know this escaped you Chas but Tinkerbell is NOT from Illinois.
No use living in the past mate only the future is where you will go. :D

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 9:25pm
Same here I escaped Socalist California:D

Texas has some really nice advantages, that's for sure!! I won't ever move back to my home state.....tooooo cold for too much of the year. I can't handle the cold anymore. Cuts right thru me and makes my bad knee ache.

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 9:26pm
Well you know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so sometimes I need to go out there and practice. BTW I cooked dinner tonight did you?????? :D

And a very good dinner it was too!!! Thanks Honey!! :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:26pm

Your statement Mate. Back it up or retract it. :D

Only because you have the attention span of a kitten.

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-14-2010, 10:35am

Thanks Z06PDQ. :cheers:

If I get a chance I'll see if I can upload a pick of the bare garage rafters after they took out all the sheetrock.

Kneel 8250
12-14-2010, 10:41am

This is the next day and this statement is still out there with NO response.

C,Mon Chas. Crikey mate After all you are sharper than me eh?????? :D

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-14-2010, 10:46am
This is the next day and this statement is still out there with NO response.

C,Mon Chas. Crikey mate After all you are sharper than me eh?????? :D

chas and exotix are "too good" to answer questions. :skep:

Kneel 8250
12-14-2010, 11:01am
chas and exotix are "too good" to answer questions. :skep:

Yair well they THINK they are superior beings to everyone else. :D

(If I put a smiley in it's a joke then eh???)

ChasC5
12-14-2010, 12:10pm
Yair well they THINK they are superior beings to everyone else. :D

(If I put a smiley in it's a joke then eh???)

If I'm not ... I'm a really close second. :D

Kneel 8250
12-14-2010, 12:27pm
If I'm not ... I'm a really close second. :D

Well we know that I aint the sharpest tool in the shed so there is a possibility of you being second. Dont like your chances tho as TxAg, Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and lots of others all seem to have your measure plus lots more.

Good luck with that thought tho. :D