PDA

View Full Version : Text Marks the Spot: Woman falls off cliff while texting

onedef92
11-14-2012, 9:43am
Woman falls off cliff while texting

November 14, 2012

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA - Despite various incidents of injuries related to texting while walking, some people still don't understand the potential danger.

Detailed in the Anchorage Daily News, a young woman named Maria Pestrikoff plummeted sixty feet off a cliff when she was walking while texting.

According to the account of the incident, she was attempting to write a text on her cell phone when she walked near a cliff to flick a cigarette butt off the edge. Her home is located near the cliff, thus it’s likely that she commonly uses the cliff to discard old cigarette butts when outside.

While she was occupied with sending a text message, Pestrikoff lost her footing on wet grass and quickly fell onto a dangerous, rocky area on the Kodiak beach below.

Luckily discovered by her friend Anthony Burke, Pestrikoff was spotted between large boulders along the beach. Shrieking in pain, both the Bayside Fire Department and Kodiak Fire Department were called to the scene in order to attempt a rescue from above.

While some of the firefighters were able to descend to her location using an aluminum ladder, others eventually had to rappel down the side of the cliff in order to stabilize Pestrikoff and lift her to safety.

Fortunately, the firefighters were able to remove Pestrikoff from the rocky terrain prior to the tide coming in to cover the rocks. Just ten feet away when she was moved away, the freezing cold water could have escalated her injuries with the threat of hypothermia. Regarding the incoming water, Burke stated “The tide was right up to her toes by the time they were able to get her out.”

Placed in a stretcher, Pestrikoff was transported to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center in an ambulance before being flown to an Anchorage hospital. After falling on September 17, Pestrikoff is still in the Anchorage hospital recovering from her many injuries.

This incident is somewhat similar to the Texas student that drove off a bridge while texting “I need to quit texting,” as well as the woman that walked off a pier into Lake Michigan while attempting to send a text message.

onedef92
11-14-2012, 9:44am
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/johntuney/Funny%20ADS/Blonde.jpg

Was she blonde? :D

boracayjohnny
11-14-2012, 9:49am
Damn, Darwin didn't win. He really shoulda in this case.

Bucwheat
11-14-2012, 9:53am
jeez,it's in the news every day now,someone wrecks or walks into something texting.:slap:

VatorMan
11-14-2012, 10:00am
I consider this a laughable offense. :rofl:

mrvette
11-14-2012, 10:05am
I have had my cphone on my hip for some years now, just a little Samsung Rugby model, and for the life of me I can't see ANY advantage to texting, someone calls me, I pick it up and answer Gene Slater Speaking....

rocket science, who needs texting?? why?? WTF does it bring to the table that it's SO popular??

a kid here on the street here, does texting and even web searches off his touch screen, but the print is so small, it's hardly readable, and in sunlight, fuggetaboutit.....and I HATE horizontal scroll bars, .....:confused5:

Bill
11-14-2012, 10:26am
So, she was on her way to litter and probably create a fire danger for others. Great. I'd say karma was at work here.

Why do many smokers consider the whole world (except their car's ashtray, of course) to be their ashtray?

jaxgator
11-14-2012, 10:29am
Damn, Darwin didn't win. He really shoulda in this case.

:iagree: Amazing that that fall didn't kill her.

Jobaka
11-14-2012, 11:21am
Fortunately, the firefighters were able to remove Pestrikoff from the rocky terrain prior to the tide coming in to cover the rocks.

I respectfully disagree with the author's assessment of the outcome.

OK, not so respectfully.

Sea Six
11-14-2012, 11:25am
"... and hes all like he wants 2 go out 2 nite and I was like k but I have 2 fix my hair before u pick me OH SHIT aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh"

Bill
11-14-2012, 11:33am
I have had my cphone on my hip for some years now, just a little Samsung Rugby model, and for the life of me I can't see ANY advantage to texting, someone calls me, I pick it up and answer Gene Slater Speaking....

rocket science, who needs texting?? why?? WTF does it bring to the table that it's SO popular??

a kid here on the street here, does texting and even web searches off his touch screen, but the print is so small, it's hardly readable, and in sunlight, fuggetaboutit.....and I HATE horizontal scroll bars, .....:confused5:

:iagree:

....and thanks for making me feel even older, BTW!

The only use I have seen for texts is if you are trying to communicate with someone in a noisy place, or to pass on information that is easier to write down, like an address, a phone number, etc.

Z06David
11-14-2012, 11:35am
damn people are dumb :lol:

ApexOversteer
11-14-2012, 12:32pm
It will come to a head when enough people die. We make kids wear helmets riding bikes, force people to wear seatbelts, require airbags and all manner of auto safety doo-dads... eventually texting will just have to be banned.

Blademaker
11-14-2012, 7:16pm
"... and hes all like he wants 2 go out 2 nite and I was like k but I have 2 fix my hair before u pick me OH SHIT aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh"

:rofl:

Kerrmudgeon
11-14-2012, 7:36pm
It will come to a head when enough people die. We make kids wear helmets riding bikes, force people to wear seatbelts, require airbags and all manner of auto safety doo-dads... eventually texting will just have to be banned.

How about we just ban stupidity? :yesnod:

Darwin and the Grim Reaper got robbed on this one. She got lucky!

I hope they give her a littering fine for the butts.:slap:

Torqaholic
11-14-2012, 8:29pm
:iagree: Amazing that that fall didn't kill her.

Probably bounced around a lot on the way down.