PDA

View Full Version : Gramps, Grandpa, Papaw?

island14
10-29-2012, 3:13pm
What did you call your Grandfather, and what would you prefer to be called by your grandchildren?

Emmett Joseph... Born October 29

Just found out.. :D

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/27999_362323453859545_1300526294_n.jpg

Skia
10-29-2012, 3:15pm
Mine I just called Grandad. When and if I ever have grandkids I'd like to be called what my father is called. "Poppa".

Damn where is my manners....Congrats Pops. :thumbs:

...Whitepower...
10-29-2012, 3:17pm
Never knew either of them. One passed before i was born and the other passed when i was 3. He also lived in Jamaica.

G8rDMD
10-29-2012, 3:18pm
What did you call your Grandfather, and what would you prefer to be called by your grandchildren?

Emmett Joseph... Born October 29

Just found out.. :D

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/27999_362323453859545_1300526294_n.jpg

[Monty Burns]Excellent...[/Monty Burns]

Congratulations :dance::dance: I called mine grandpa :seasix:

Olustee bus
10-29-2012, 3:25pm
I called mine Paw.

I prefer my grandchildren to refer to me as "Grandfather". I like the way it sounds, lots of respect as I so sorely deserve.

Not really, They call me "Bussey" as my name is Buster.

Yerf Dog
10-29-2012, 3:25pm
Congrats!

Never knew my grandfathers. :shrug:

simpleman68
10-29-2012, 3:26pm
Congrats man!! :dance:

Called them both Grandpa. As for me, they can call me whatever they decide. Hopefully, that's a ways off for me yet. :D
Scott

island14
10-29-2012, 3:31pm
Never knew either of them. One passed before i was born and the other passed when i was 3. He also lived in Jamaica.

Sorry to hear..

I lost my grandfather on my Dad's side when I was about 4 or 5, so don't have many memories of him. (do have a few though thankfully)

But I was blessed with the most loving Grandfather and great buddy also! from my Mom's side of the family.

I know your daughter is still very young so you have time to think about what you wanna be called when the time comes.

Fastguy
10-29-2012, 3:32pm
Congratulations, mine was Grampy. Dad's Dad died before my parents were married.

island14
10-29-2012, 3:35pm
Mine I just called Grandad. When and if I ever have grandkids I'd like to be called what my father is called. "Poppa".

Damn where is my manners....Congrats Pops. :thumbs:

[Monty Burns]Excellent...[/Monty Burns]

Congratulations :dance::dance: I called mine grandpa :seasix:

I called mine Paw.

I prefer my grandchildren to refer to me as "Grandfather". I like the way it sounds, lots of respect as I so sorely deserve.

Not really, They call me "Bussey" as my name is Buster.

Congrats man!! :dance:

Called them both Grandpa. As for me, they can call me whatever they decide. Hopefully, that's a ways off for me yet. :D
Scott

I called mine Papaw, but not real comfortable with being called that! :lol:

I still feel young! :D

jda67gta
10-29-2012, 3:36pm
Congrats Grandpa!

...Whitepower...
10-29-2012, 3:41pm
Congrats btw. :cert:

lspencer534
10-29-2012, 3:58pm
My situation was a bit odd. I was rasied by my grandparents, so I called them Daddy and Mama. I'm sure that upset my actual Mother (My Father died when I was just a few month old), but my grandparents were who I lived with and who I thought of as my parents.

As he got much older, all the grandkids started called my grandfather Gramps...but not to his face. We loved him to death, but we had a very healthy respect for him. Although he cut all the kids some slack, we didn't want to ever cross him. I had one whipping in my life by him (I deserved it), and I learned my lesson for good.

I want to be called Grandaddy when the occasion arises.

Edit: Congratulations!

kingpin
10-29-2012, 4:09pm
Congrats Gumby, I mean Gimpy, I mean Grampy! :D

LisaJohn
10-29-2012, 4:12pm
My favorite grandfather was my Pappy.

Norm
10-29-2012, 4:16pm
Called my only grandad Pops, son's kids call me Pop Pop.

Congrats. :cert:

Rob
10-29-2012, 4:39pm
Congrats!!!

My grandfathers were called Papaw and grandmothers were Memaw.

My parents are now using Meme (mother) and Pappy (father) for my sisters kids.

island14
10-29-2012, 4:49pm
Congrats!!!

My grandfathers were called Papaw and grandmothers were Memaw.

My parents are now using Meme (mother) and Pappy (father) for my sisters kids.

That is what we called them also, Mamaw and Papaw..

My kids here call there Filipino Grand Parents Lola and Lolo, as is the custom..

I just don't think My daughter living back in the USA will be down with her kid calling me Lolo.. :lol:

island14
10-29-2012, 4:50pm
My favorite grandfather was my Pappy.

:seasix:

Pappy sounds good to me!

Allan
10-29-2012, 5:38pm
Grandpa.

Whatever he wants but daughter & wife are pushing pawpaw.

You'll have more smiles on your face than the vette will ever put on it.

Life as you know it has ended. Simply indescribable. :yesnod:

lspencer534
10-29-2012, 5:45pm
Grandpa.

That is very well-written. :yesnod:

ConstantChange
10-29-2012, 5:49pm
Congratulations! :)

I called mine Grandpa. If I have grandkids they can call me "Big Poppa." :D

Dan Dlabay
10-29-2012, 6:12pm
Congratulations. I called mine Grandpa.:cert:

Blademaker
10-29-2012, 6:53pm
Congratulations!

My Granddaughter calls me PaPa, my wife, MeMe.

I didn't know my grandfather on my Dad's side of the family, he died when I was 3 mos. old.

My other grandfather I called asshole, even to his face. He was an evil, wicked man that deserved no respect. When he took a dirt nap when I was in my late
20's, I caused a family shitstorm by offering to toss a handful of coal in his casket. Serious.
**** him.

VatorMan
10-29-2012, 6:56pm
Congrats !! I called mine GrandPaw and I'll probably be the same to my Grandsons.

8Up
10-29-2012, 8:08pm
I called mine grandpa, Gramp or gramps. My nephew used to call my dad Bumpy. I always thought that was great!

tshirts and jeans
10-29-2012, 8:35pm
congrats....the best thing that ever happens in your life is you get grandkids......

Blademaker
10-29-2012, 8:37pm
congrats....the best thing that ever happens in your life is you get grandkids......

I agree.........They're Gods reward for not killing your children.

CBonsall
10-29-2012, 9:05pm
only one alive when i was young we called pop pop. now that i`m a grandfather i`m called grumpy.:leaving:

boracayjohnny
10-29-2012, 10:16pm
Very cool, Tim. If your daughter is not cool with the Lolo/Lola dealy-o, she damn sure won't like the "bless". :D

*The "bless" is when younger folks take the hand of an elder, palm facing down, and put it to their forehead for just a second.

MEANZ06
10-29-2012, 10:20pm
Congrats Tim!... :cert:

It's a great feeling... :yesnod:

Ol Timer
10-29-2012, 10:42pm
Congratulations. My experience has been that the first grandchild makes the name. Whatever they call you seems to stick. I'm Papa.

kylebuck
10-29-2012, 11:13pm
Congrats!
i called mine, Pawpaw and my grand mother was mawmaw.

beadist
10-30-2012, 1:20am
Congrats to you! :seasix:

I called mine Grampy but my nephews used Poppa for my father and I liked that name. So did he :yesnod:

NEED-A-VETTE
10-30-2012, 2:04am
I call my mom's father Grandpa. Still alive and kicking. :cheers: My daughter calls him Big Pappa...my dad is (just) Pappa to her. She picked it and it just stuck. :island14:

Grandkids of my own are waaaaaaay down the horizon. My kiddo is is just too focused on school and the AF...and I'm just fine with that. Let me at least hit 40 first. :willy:

I do spoil the crap outta my nieces and nephews, though. (Why, yes...I will buy you that cupcake with blue frosting, which is bigger than your head. What's that? I'm the greatest aunt ever? Here's a second cupcake.)

Congrats on the new addition. :angel:

island14
10-30-2012, 3:44am
Grandpa.

I also have kids here ages 7, 4, 2, and 8 months old, 2 Boys, 2 Girls, and know the great feeling of having them around..

My oldest Daughter In the USA has 4 kids, about the same ages as mine here, and they want to call me Papaw. but for some reason I didn't really wanna be called that as that was what I called my own.

But if that is what they call me, then that is what it will be I guess :island14:

This is the first child for my second oldest daughter, and also the first boy.

:cert:

island14
10-30-2012, 3:45am
Congratulations. My experience has been that the first grandchild makes the name. Whatever they call you seems to stick. I'm Papa.

I have a feeling you are right.. :yesnod:

island14
10-30-2012, 3:48am
Very cool, Tim. If your daughter is not cool with the Lolo/Lola dealy-o, she damn sure won't like the "bless". :D

*The "bless" is when younger folks take the hand of an elder, palm facing down, and put it to their forehead for just a second.

My sister will be visiting us in the spring, she is not going to believe her own eyes when my kids line up to bless her... :lol:

I don't think I ever saw that in the States, is that just a Filipino thing or do all Catholics do that? :island14:

boracayjohnny
10-30-2012, 5:04am
My sister will be visiting us in the spring, she is not going to believe her own eyes when my kids line up to bless her... :lol:

I don't think I ever saw that in the States, is that just a Filipino thing or do all Catholics do that? :island14:

You should record her reaction when it happens to her the first time. :D

There may be others but I've only seen Filipinos do that.

Munch
10-30-2012, 8:44am
Congrats :cheers:

I always called mine Grandpa.

I don't have kids but I have a step daughter and if she ever has kids I would prefer that they call me long distance.

syf350
10-30-2012, 8:47am
congrats!:dance:

called mine Papa Jake

Mine calls me Papa. he got it on his own, we were calling me grandpa, and he started with papa.

Mr Hole
10-30-2012, 1:37pm
Mine were called Papaw and Grandpat. My grandsons call me Grandpa.