PDA

View Full Version : The end is near

thegreenman
09-15-2012, 7:16pm
for my transmission and differential.

Tranny started making unnatural noises when shifting to third under moderate acceleration. I backed off the shift times in my A6 hoping the clutches will last a little longer, so far no more shifting problems.

Went on a trip for a few hundred miles, on the way back the differential started making some noises. I normally need to change the diff fluid yearly to quite down the clutches. Changed the fluid today, a BB size bearing dropped out with the fluid, now I know the source of the noise.

I have been supercharged for over three years, I think I have been lucky they haven’t broke yet.

C4fan
09-15-2012, 8:01pm
It's many a hotrodders desire for more power. There is no telling the percentage of people who build engines without the supporting trans and rearend let alone the knowledge of what may (will) come. I lost my 700r4 the first week I got my stroker running on my LT1 C4. Rule #1, be willing to pay if you want to play. Sounds like you knew what to expect as did I. Must be a hoot to drive with a SC. My C6 is still mostly stock with headers and tune. May the gods have pitty on your rearend for as long as possible.:leaving:

thegreenman
09-15-2012, 8:38pm
SC is a blast, causing premature wear on back tires for some reason.

I am surprised the tranny and diff have lasted this long, I am hoping to get a few more months out of both, need to keep my AAA current.

Mods, TVS2300 SC, ZR-1 cam, ported TB, 1 7/8 headers, Billy Boat fusions and a few other goodies.

For the diff I am thinking RPM Transmissions A6 Stage 4. I haven't decided on the gears yet, maybe 3.42.

C4fan
09-15-2012, 9:05pm
SC is a blast, causing premature wear on back tires for some reason.
:rofl: Must be rotten rubber.

I am surprised the tranny and diff have lasted this long, I am hoping to get a few more months out of both, need to keep my AAA current.

We've had AAA for several years now, cheap insurance.:seasix:

Mods, TVS2300 SC, ZR-1 cam, ported TB, 1 7/8 headers, Billy Boat fusions and a few other goodies.

For the diff I am thinking RPM Transmissions A6 Stage 4. I haven't decided on the gears yet, maybe 3.42.

It never gets old, does it.:D

thegreenman
09-17-2012, 6:57pm
It never gets old, does it.:D

You got that right, never a boring time cruising in the Vette.

thegreenman
09-19-2012, 6:23pm
I am trying to figure out where the bearing that fell out came from, my guess is within the clutch pack somewhere but I have never been inside a C6 diff.

Anyone able to ID the bearing source?

The bearing.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/thegreenman_photos/DiffBearing_zpsc3011d46.jpg

Clutch pack picture

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/thegreenman_photos/c6_corvette_rearend_zpsd8b15f09.jpg

C6 Diff

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/thegreenman_photos/C6_Diff_zpsa42a92a6.jpg

thegreenman
09-22-2012, 7:52pm
Went out for a 50 mile round trip yesterday, diff clutches were not making any noise, all seemed OK.

While working on my truck today, using an impact driver a bearing fell out of my adapter, got me thinking (yes it hurt).

Long story short, I am thinking the bearing might have came from the pump I used to pump the Royal Purple into the differential. I did drop the pump into the old fluid once.