PDA

View Full Version : Sarsin' Frarsin' Rickin' Rackin' VATS

Frizlefrak
09-09-2012, 6:07pm
OK, this bullshit stops now. This is 3 times in one week Marco wouldn't crank over. Wait 5 minutes, jiggle key in ignition, and it starts. I'm ordering the bypass. Ecklers is the only one that has it for '95....and I'm not dinking around with soldering resistors from Radio Shack to save a measly $30. It's happening on both keys, so the problem is either two worn keys, or it's inside the column. There is near zero chance of the car getting stolen....garaged at home, secure parking at work if I drive it there.

I read on CF somewhere that the bypass module won't work on the later C4's (or only works once) because the PCM has to see an interruption of the resistor in the circuit between starts. How can that be? I leave my car in the garage with the keys in it all the time, and under normal conditions, it fires off without having to remove the key each time. The PCM shouldn't know the difference in that and a bypass module.

And even if it does, I'll mount a switch somewhere to simulate removal between starts. I'm sick and tired of VATS issues. It used to be once in a blue moon....now it's every other time.

If I could find the engineer that thought this was a good idea, I'd maul him.

Wathen1955
09-09-2012, 6:13pm
Your vette is pissed that you've been spending too much time with your ford.

Frizlefrak
09-09-2012, 6:24pm
Your vette is pissed that you've been spending too much time with your ford.

It keeps doing this caca, and it will find itself sitting more and more until I finally get fed up and put it on Craigslist. :yesnod:

Kidding, of course. But when I look at the simplicity of the 'Stang..... :seasix:

PLRX
09-09-2012, 6:28pm
Friz, send the ECM to PCM for less. They will give you a tune, and can deactivate the VATS. :seasix:

I got to re-send Betty Boop's to them. To change the speedometer back to stock, and will eliminate the VATS.

Did you clean the key VAT's chip with an eraser?

I recommend for you to post this thread in the CF. I would love to read all the "experts", and physics giving you advice. I bet Sam Ruger will have his 2 cents.

WW7
09-09-2012, 6:57pm
There is near zero chance of the car getting stolen....garaged at home, secure parking at work if I drive it there..

Besides , who would want to steal one of these cars, there to much trouble...:rofl:..
Friz, I would do like Pete suggests and have it turned off in the ecm.. Mick Stevens turned it off in my tune (Chip) and I couldn't be happier...Pete K had it deleted from his chip, but he also has a chip with it still active, that way if he goes on a trip he can insert the one with the active Vats incase someone messes with his car, then when he gets home he can put the one back in with the inactive vats..There's a positive side to having an older C4 with removable chips....:seasix:..WW

Frizlefrak
09-09-2012, 6:59pm
Can PCM for Less do it on the 95's? I was under the impression they could only reflash the earlier ones. If they can, that would eliminate it for once and for all.

I've cleaned the resistors until I'm......drum roll please.....blue in the face. :rofl:

PLRX
09-09-2012, 7:05pm
Can PCM for Less do it on the 95's? I was under the impression they could only reflash the earlier ones. If they can, that would eliminate it for once and for all.

I've cleaned the resistors until I'm......drum roll please.....blue in the face. :rofl:

Oh yeah, they did Betty and The Ghost. :seasix:

Betty Boop is stock and their tune brought her to life :cert:

mike100
09-09-2012, 7:10pm
Your can get the lock cylinder out with only a steering wheel removal- there is a vats connection in there. both of my cars have been ok with it though. I just lubricated the lock cyl works and have been fine.

If you do take off the wheel on a 94-up car. expect to order new plastic horn buttons, they break apart as soon as you touch them.

Frizlefrak
09-09-2012, 7:37pm
Oh yeah, they did Betty and The Ghost. :seasix:

Betty Boop is stock and their tune brought her to life :cert:

How much to program out VATS?

PLRX
09-09-2012, 7:38pm
horn buttons, they break apart as soon as you touch them.

:iagree:

those things are made of air

Midnight85
09-09-2012, 8:51pm
Don't look now Friz but I think a certain cat thinks this is funny.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Midnight85/Sweetsie.jpg

Frizlefrak
09-09-2012, 9:21pm
That's OK....that certain cat has an 8 month "no-start" condition on his Corvette, and it ain't got anything to do with VATS :rofl:

Sweet 90
09-10-2012, 8:59am
Don't look now Friz but I think a certain cat thinks this is funny.

Nah, I would never make fun of a Barner with a Vette problem, but weather, I'm in like Flint:D
That's OK....that certain cat has an 8 month "no-start" condition on his Corvette, and it ain't got anything to do with VATS :rofl:

Says the man from sandstorm alley and where birds and other critters explode from the heat:rofl:
OTOH, almost going into my 7th month of Vetting. Nah nah!!:D

DukeAllen
09-10-2012, 10:03am

Those snow chains work wonders don't they?:D

Frizlefrak
09-10-2012, 4:15pm
Nah, I would never make fun of a Barner with a Vette problem, but weather, I'm in like Flint:D

Says the man from sandstorm alley and where birds and other critters explode from the heat:rofl:

Going in to my 16th year....that would mean 192 months straight....exploding birds notwithstanding. :rofl:

So your driving days are winding down about now, aren't they Sweetsie? :kick:

Frizlefrak
09-10-2012, 4:17pm
OH...almost forgot, ordered the bypass module from Heckler's. I'm certain it's the ignition cylinder....if I push the key all the way in, no start. If I push it in just to the point where the cylinder will turn, it cranks off every time.

Sweet 90
09-10-2012, 4:37pm

Got a couple of months to go yet (maybe) there big fella:D

PLRX
09-10-2012, 4:43pm
Got a couple of months to go yet (maybe) there big fella:D

Oh man, I told my brother you were plowing snow already. OOOpps:leaving:

DukeAllen
09-10-2012, 4:49pm

I heard the snow plow motors up there don't get time to cool down for summer (July 31 and August 1) before they need them again.:yesnod:

DukeAllen
09-10-2012, 4:50pm
Going in to my 16th year....that would mean 192 months straight....exploding birds notwithstanding. :rofl:

Damn...that's 112 years for us 2 legged walkers. Do you have to take the seniors driving test?:D

Sweet 90
09-10-2012, 4:55pm
Damn Pete:confused5:. You've been spending too much time with Friz:lol:
I heard the snow plow motors up there don't get time to cool down for summer (July 31 and August 1) before they need them again.:yesnod:
And Pennsylvania, it doesn't get winter any more:rofl:

DukeAllen
09-10-2012, 4:58pm
Damn Pete:confused5:. You've been spending too much time with Friz:lol:

And Pennsylvania, it doesn't get winter any more:rofl:

Snow last year, 3 blizzards the year before. We just blame it on the Canadian air. It's as cold as the women:lol:

Frizlefrak
09-10-2012, 4:58pm

They just leave them idling all 2 weeks of summer. :lol:

Sweet 90
09-10-2012, 5:12pm
It's as cold as the women:lol:
That's one thing they're not:yesnod:
They just leave them idling all 2 weeks of summer. :lol:
Like trying to educate chimps I tell ya:)

DukeAllen
09-10-2012, 5:21pm
That's one thing they're not:yesnod:

Had one. But it cleared up so all is well:D

Sweet 90
09-10-2012, 5:23pm
Had one. But it cleared up so all is well:D

Probably French trailer trash Duke. Did she ask Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?:rofl:

DukeAllen
09-10-2012, 5:40pm
Probably French trailer trash Duke. Did she ask Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?:rofl:

Just something about did I mind hairballs.:lol:

Sweet 90
09-10-2012, 5:43pm
Just something about did I mind hairballs.:lol:
:rofl:
Well I have been there before:D

DukeAllen
09-10-2012, 5:47pm
Well I have been there before:D

That's why I needed the rabies shots.:kick:

Frizlefrak
09-14-2012, 2:49pm
OK, from Rabies shots back to VATS.....

Got the module from Hecklers todays. Plugged it in, fires right up every time. Best $32 I've spent on the car....no more "will it start" worries. Was getting where I didn't want to drive it for fear of having to sit and wait 4 minutes, genuflect, wiggle the key and hope it cranked.

Incidentally, the module works fine in the '95 contrary to what some have claimed...you don't have to unplug it every time. Same as leaving the key in the car as I suspected.

At some point I'll have it flashed out of the PCM, but for now, it works fine. :cert:

Sweet 90
09-14-2012, 2:53pm
OK, from Rabies shots back to VATS.....

You should know better than to leave a thread open for this long without closure:D
Good to hear you and Marco are back on speaking terms Friz:seasix:

DukeAllen
09-14-2012, 3:03pm
You should know better than to leave a thread open for this long without closure:D

:iagree: After all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, sounds like it was a quick and painless fix.
Until the next C4 drama :yesnod:

Frizlefrak
09-14-2012, 3:07pm

Oh, I figured it would go downhill faster than a boulder in an avalanche, but that's the price I pay for hanging with the crowd that I do......:D

Sweet 90
09-14-2012, 3:13pm
Oh, I figured it would go downhill faster than a boulder in an avalanche, but that's the price I pay for hanging with the crowd that I do......:D

Yes, it is a very tough and demanding job hanging with the elite of the Corvette world, ain't it:D

DukeAllen
09-14-2012, 3:35pm
Yes, it is a very tough and demanding job hanging with the elite of the Corvette world, ain't it:D

I know that I wouldn't take you guys home to meet my mom:lol:

Frizlefrak
09-14-2012, 3:42pm
I know that I wouldn't take you guys home to meet my mom:lol:

She'd probably see us coming and meet us at the door with a 12 gauge....:rofl:

DukeAllen
09-14-2012, 3:48pm
She'd probably see us coming and meet us at the door with a 12 gauge....:rofl:

So you've met her:yesnod:

Frizlefrak
09-14-2012, 6:38pm
So you've met her:yesnod:

Yeah....on the wrong end of a Winchester Defender....now I know where you got it Duke..... :rofl:

Iron Chef
08-04-2014, 11:46am
...I think my VATS ate my lunch this weekend.

Got in the ZR...started...backed out of the garage...turned it off to go in the house. 2 minutes later I come out, turn the key...nothing. And I mean not even a click. Can't roll the headlights...no joy. Tried to jump start...nothing. Battery is less than a year old and when I touched the jumpers together I got plenty of spark.

So my questions are a) Does this sound like the dreaded VATS problem and b) Friz...do any pics exist of the install? I take it it's easy (my ZR is a '94).

Corvette mods sells the bypass also. They are asking for a code (1-15...I'll assume this is the resistor code?). Do I need to go to the dealer to find out what it is?

Any help is appreciated. And yes I know I haven't posted in a long time. And no I didn't sell the Z. Thankfully.

:kimblair:

mike100
08-04-2014, 7:24pm
I think you can measure the resistance of the pellet in the key and then look up the chart of VATS resistors to determine the value for the bypass.

Taking the steering column down to the lock cylinder (and therefore the vats key contacts) is not overly difficult if you choose to try to retain the function, but certainly not as cheap as the bypass. I never had to repair any of mine so i can't exactly tell you all the functions that get disabled due to that thing.

Pete K
08-10-2014, 9:55am
On my 87, headlights will still work when the Vats has been triggered.
I would be looking towards the ignition switch contacts, ignition switch relay, or clutch pedal switch.

Frizlefrak
08-21-2014, 9:12pm
...I think my VATS ate my lunch this weekend.

Got in the ZR...started...backed out of the garage...turned it off to go in the house. 2 minutes later I come out, turn the key...nothing. And I mean not even a click. Can't roll the headlights...no joy. Tried to jump start...nothing. Battery is less than a year old and when I touched the jumpers together I got plenty of spark.

So my questions are a) Does this sound like the dreaded VATS problem and b) Friz...do any pics exist of the install? I take it it's easy (my ZR is a '94).

Corvette mods sells the bypass also. They are asking for a code (1-15...I'll assume this is the resistor code?). Do I need to go to the dealer to find out what it is?

Any help is appreciated. And yes I know I haven't posted in a long time. And no I didn't sell the Z. Thankfully.

:kimblair:

Doesn't sound like a VATS problem....Sounds like either a loose ground connection, loose cable on starter, or a fusible link has gone bad. If it were VATS, you'd have full power to all accessories...it just wouldn't crank.

But the module takes all of 5 minutes to install....lower bottom cover under column, unplug connection and plug both ends into module.