PDA

View Full Version : Lean Forward - MSNBC in two-year brand campaign

ChasC5
10-12-2010, 7:35pm
I looked at the add ... and it's hard to argue with the pictures and what they say ... :yesnod:

Msnbc to ?lean forward? in new brand campaign - Business - Media biz - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39507182/ns/business-media_biz)

Cable news network msnbc said Tuesday it is launching a two-year, multimillion-dollar marketing campaign, embracing its politically progressive identity with the new tagline “Lean Forward.”

The network hopes the campaign, featuring television ads directed by Spike Lee, will lift brand awareness and boost ratings, building on recent audience gains that have lifted it to the No. 2 news channel, ahead of CNN and behind industry leader Fox News.

“We’ve taken on CNN and we beat them,” msnbc President Phil Griffin told employees at a series of celebratory “town hall” meetings Monday. “Now it’s time to take on Fox.”

[Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal. Msnbc cable is a wholly owned division of NBC Universal.]

The network has struggled to define itself with its audience since it launched in 1996. In the runup to the 2008 presidential election, network programming began to coalesce around primetime anchors Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews. It branded itself as “The Place for Politics” — a description given by Tim Russert, then NBC News Washington Bureau Chief and "Meet the Press" moderator.

With the addition of left-leaning anchors including Rachel Maddow and Ed Schultz, the network increasingly became identified with a rising tide of progressive political sentiment. The new branding campaign, while not overtly political, implicitly embraces the network’s progressive identity.

The television ads feature dramatic music and patriotic themes, including images of American soldiers at war, the space shuttle, Martin Luther King Jr. and presidents including John F. Kennedy and Barack Obama.

The campaign, which also includes print and online components, takes a swipe at the nation’s strident and divisive political culture with lines like, "Celebrate the best ideas, no matter where they come from," and "One nation, in progress."

Executives did not offer a price tag but said it would be the biggest ad campaign in the network’s history.

Even as ratings have improved and the network has moved ahead of CNN, internal research found that only 50 percent of those surveyed were familiar with msnbc, compared with 96 percent for CNN.

The new campaign, with its two-year commitment, is intended to address that.

Z06PDQ
10-12-2010, 8:31pm
Spike Lee? :toetap: other than that, good on them. :cheers: Faux Nooz is slowly imploding on itself. :D MSNBC can grab some new market if they do it right. they need to get Thom Hartmann on there. :yesnod:

Peter Pan
10-12-2010, 9:46pm
Fox news is rocking and as more Americans wake to the kool-aid the libs are stuffing down our throats, expect Fox to gain viewers:hurray:

ChasC5
10-13-2010, 7:28am
Fox news is rocking and as more Americans wake to the kool-aid the libs are stuffing down our throats, expect Fox to gain viewers:hurray:

Where you get your view of reality is totally up to you. :cheers:

Z06PDQ
10-13-2010, 7:57am

yeah they really "rocked" when they tried to cover up the fact that an Arab sheik finances them. :lolsmile:

ChasC5
10-13-2010, 8:14am
yeah they really "rocked" when they tried to cover up the fact that an Arab sheik finances them. :lolsmile:

They are the first to beat their chest, wave the flag, shouts God Bless America, preach Values and push their religion, and the first to throw Americans under the Buss over the Rich who wouldn’t piss on them if they were on Fire! :skep:

Z06PDQ
10-13-2010, 11:49am
They are the first to beat their chest, wave the flag, shouts God Bless America, preach Values and push their religion, and the first to throw Americans under the Buss over the Rich who wouldn’t piss on them if they were on Fire! :skep:

and the sheeple adore them. :yesnod:

ChasC5
10-19-2010, 6:30pm
Irony.

And where is the head of the Tee-Baggers stuck? :D

ChasC5
10-19-2010, 8:52pm
Typical Chas response to facts.

:yawn:

Get some sleep, you're druling. :D

Z06PDQ
10-19-2010, 9:23pm
MSNBC is a joke when it comes to real journalism.

Hyper inflated "news" from a obviously very biased view point? Yep.

And before the liberals here get their undies in a bunch, NO media outlet is 100% unbiased. None.

Some are just less biased than others.

Fox has Beck. no, he's not a "reporter" but he is one of the biggest distorters of truth in media. there are no people on MSNBC that come close to that manic depressive, grandstanding azz hole.

ChasC5
10-20-2010, 12:20pm
I never said Beck was a journalist.
Being a "reporter" is not directly related to being a true journalist.
Don't try to equate the two.

Since I don't watch him I can't directly comment if he is or is not. I can say I generally agree with his conservative thoughts and principles.

I can say I've seen the media personalities they have on MSNBC and they are a joke when it comes to being true journalists.

Incorrect.

Back on subject

If you actually see anyone of the several ads would you disagree with its message? Is there anything negative at all in those ads that should upset the GOP?

ChasC5
10-20-2010, 3:00pm
I watched them and don't fully agree with what MSNBC is trying to say in those messages.

If by "upset" you mean get people angry and wanting them pulled from TV? No.

But I certainly don't agree with the underlying, unsaid "progressive" ideals MSNBC is trying to convey.

:cheers:

Do you believe us as Americans are not constantly moving forward … ?

I’m a Physics, Computer and Electronic Sciences Major; therefore I am by nature, by education and by trade a progressive. If I’m not growing, learning and open to new environments, then I become a relic of the past, and thus become obsolete and outdated. I can deeply identify with an ad like that.

If anyone starts talking about the good-old-days, my ears immediately perk up … because if you’re talking about, and yes we know we’ve heard them, going back to less rights like less The Civil Rights … the I say good luck trying to make me go to the back of anyone’s Bus … really … I’d pay to see that.

:cheers:

ChasC5
10-20-2010, 3:36pm
Depends on what you define as "moving forward". In some instances, I would say yes America has moved forward and will continue to do so. In some instances, I think we've moved backwards.

i would agree growing as a person and continually learning are something we all should work for in life.

There are some things in the past I would like to see brought back. Racial division is 100% not one of them.
I'd like to get back to the "good old days" when live seemed a little slower. The rat race wasn't the massive traffic jam it is now and people actually talked more in-person, face-to-face than with electric pulses over copper and glass.
Now I'll go out on a limb and say those are some "good old days" you'd be willing to agree would be nice to go back to and enjoy.

Ok we can agree on some things … but if we want to go backwards, why not do things that worked in the past … like invest in Infrastructure and invest in our people and education. What could possibly be better that molding a young mind early, rather than building Jail later?

I just makes since to me.

Z06PDQ
10-20-2010, 7:33pm
I can say I've seen the media personalities they have on MSNBC and they are a joke when it comes to being true journalists.

Incorrect.

examples? :)

Z06PDQ
10-20-2010, 9:20pm
Keith Olbermann is a great example of someone who is a joke of a journalist.

He is very clear in letting his left leaning bias show through in his "reporting".

I thought [again] that you said *all* of them do this? :seeya:

ChasC5
10-21-2010, 7:06am
Keith Olbermann is a great example of someone who is a joke of a journalist.

He is very clear in letting his left leaning bias show through in his "reporting".

He’s hilarious; all he needs to do is show live clips of Republicans and their backers.

That’s why they hate him; he simply puts up a mirror while they do all the talking. Then replays it when they lie and say they didn’t say it.

Hell … you don’t have to be a reporter to do that. :lolsmile:

Z06PDQ
10-22-2010, 1:58pm
Olberman is a liberal media entertainer. I'll totally agree with you there. Those who are left leaning are certainly amused by him.

As for being someone who is a good representation of a journalist, not even close.

got any lies [like the Faux reporters] that he's been caught in? :D

Z06PDQ
10-22-2010, 4:29pm
I never said he lied.

I said he's a joke of a "journalist" who has no problem letting his bias show thru in his reporting.

Nice try with the straw man though.

Is it your assertion Olbermann has never lied once on air or in print?

no. it's my "assertion" that Faux reporters constantly do it, but you want to point the finger at Olbermann & say "oh, he's just biased" when you have admitted they all are. :) he's no more of a joke than your hero network's slobs. :seeya:

Z06PDQ
10-22-2010, 8:27pm
No one in the media is my hero.

:lolsmile:

ChasC5
11-02-2010, 7:01pm
Are all journalists biased to some degree? Yes.

Are some, like Keith, upfront with their over reaching bias in their "reporting? Yes.

Not all journalists act like Keith. It's the ones who do that are jokes to the journalism profession.

That would never happen on Fox News. :lolsmile:

Joecooool
11-03-2010, 10:44am
I don't consider MSNBC any more of a news channel than I do Fox.

I think CNN is the most balanced of the cable news channels but I watch BBC and the NBC evening news primarily.