PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Trigg type ribs

c6vetteinhouston
07-16-2012, 5:01pm
So, after watching the Pitmasters shows, I wanted to see what the fuse was all about regarding Mr. Trigg's ribs. I followed what could be his way of cooking them, butter/brown sugar/honey/tiger sauce, wrap in foil til done. Mine turned out great...simply great. However, I think next time, I will cut back on the brown sugar and honey some. Awesome. I smoked them for about 4 hours on my tragaer smoker grill, did his method, and cooked for about another hour or so......simply great. Who else have tried the Johnny Trigg method?

Bucwheat
07-17-2012, 2:45pm
I can never get tender ribbs maybe I cook them to fast.

Rob
07-19-2012, 8:52am
Tender ribs is not hard to do - it all depends on how tender you want them.

The best way to get a rib to turn into a fall-off-the-bone style would be to wrap your ribs 1/2 way through your cooking process.

The first step is to cook your ribs uncovered for 3 hours at ~250*. during this time your ribs are absorbing all of that nice smoke flavor.

Step two: pull the ribs, flip them upside down, wrap them in foil, and add a little apple juice inside the foil before sealing it. The foil does not have to be tight, you just want them to be sealed because this is the step that makes them tender. The ribs cook in their natural juices and the fat and tendons breaks down due to the steaming that is happening inside the foil. Leave in foil on smoker for 2 hours ~250*

Step three - pull the ribs out of the foil, crank up the heat to ~280* and apply any rub or sauce you would like. Be careful pulling the fibs from the foil, the slab will want to break in half if you are not careful. Cook for 1 hour.

Step four - eat!!!

Very simple process and easy to remember: 3-2-1 :seasix: