PDA

View Full Version : A couple of laps in the C4 at Road America

RedLS1GTO
07-15-2012, 8:09pm
I think the 'ole C4 held it's own... :dance:

RA Laps - YouTube

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
07-15-2012, 8:31pm
That was GREAT!! Loved the way each car got hauled down! Thanks for the rush, Bryan! Loved it!:cert:

C4fan
07-15-2012, 8:54pm
That was GREAT!! Loved the way each car got hauled down! Thanks for the rush, Bryan! Loved it!:cert:

:iagree: Awesome video.

jda67gta
07-15-2012, 9:02pm
:seasix: :cool:x2

Norm
07-15-2012, 9:07pm
Neat stuff. :seasix:

LilRedCorvette
07-15-2012, 9:51pm
That Ferrari toward the end... :rofl:

RedLS1GTO
07-16-2012, 7:25am
Thanks for the compliments guys. It's fun as hell rolling around in the C4 and being on par with some of the top end modern cars. :cheers:

That Ferrari toward the end... :rofl:

Yea... that was just sad. :(

Frizlefrak
07-17-2012, 12:37pm
:cool:

mike100
07-17-2012, 3:00pm
Looks fun. I was a little surprised to see the front end hunt under hard braking. Is that what happens with an aggressive track alignment using 315's up front?

RedLS1GTO
07-17-2012, 4:02pm
Looks fun. I was a little surprised to see the front end hunt under hard braking. Is that what happens with an aggressive track alignment using 315's up front?

The wiggle you are seeing is the back end doing it's best to pass the front. I have yet to find a really good balance with front/rear braking. Usually I find myself locking up the fronts if I go too far and the backs never have enough. This time I went with a way more aggressive pad in the rear and it was just a bit too much... especially when it got light on gas or is on a downslope like turn 5 (the hard left). Next step, dual MCs with adjustable bias.

Long story short, it's a nose heavy C4. Threshold braking from 160 mph is always a bit :willy:.

Shrek
07-17-2012, 5:38pm
:seasix::seasix:

RedLS1GTO
07-18-2012, 8:05am
:seasix::seasix:

Was hoping you'd step in here. :cert:

The only issue of the weekend was the pinion seal on the diff was leaking like a sieve. Of course it was dripping right onto the exhaust and leaving a smoke trail that the Blue Angels would be proud of. Unfortunately, the RA officials were not impressed.

There was no way I was getting it fixed correctly at the track so I improvised.... yea, that's what we'll call it. I made a drip pan out of sheet metal and bolted it up under the diff. I had to empty it and add grease every time if came off the track, but it didn't smoke any more!

I am still at a loss as to what is going on with the drivetrain. It still does that massive shake in reverse. It got better when I rebuilt the rear end but came back with a vengeance almost immediately. This is also the second time that it screwed up a pinion seal. Is it all related? I have no idea.

Before it goes out again, I'm going to pull everything from the engine back and try to figure out what the hell is going on in there. If I could get that 1 isue fixed, it would be absolutely rock solid.

On a very positive note, I did pull the top end of the engine apart over the spring and it looks like the day it was built. With the exception of the MSD issues I had right off the bat, it has never had even the slightest hint of an issue with the engine. Proof that good parts are worth the price.

Shrek
07-18-2012, 9:03am
Was hoping you'd step in here. :cert:

The only issue of the weekend was the pinion seal on the diff was leaking like a sieve. Of course it was dripping right onto the exhaust and leaving a smoke trail that the Blue Angels would be proud of. Unfortunately, the RA officials were not impressed.

There was no way I was getting it fixed correctly at the track so I improvised.... yea, that's what we'll call it. I made a drip pan out of sheet metal and bolted it up under the diff. I had to empty it and add grease every time if came off the track, but it didn't smoke any more!

I am still at a loss as to what is going on with the drivetrain. It still does that massive shake in reverse. It got better when I rebuilt the rear end but came back with a vengeance almost immediately. This is also the second time that it screwed up a pinion seal. Is it all related? I have no idea.

Before it goes out again, I'm going to pull everything from the engine back and try to figure out what the hell is going on in there. If I could get that 1 isue fixed, it would be absolutely rock solid.

On a very positive note, I did pull the top end of the engine apart over the spring and it looks like the day it was built. With the exception of the MSD issues I had right off the bat, it has never had even the slightest hint of an issue with the engine. Proof that good parts are worth the price.

These vids really piss me off!!!:leaving: I WANT MY DAMN CAR BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Makes me regret selling it more and more every time I see a vid. Especially now that we're getting back into it and basically starting over. She loves how her ZR-1 handles and performs, and I got me a truck. Now I'm looking for a trailer with some kind of living quarters so we can stay at the track. We've been to VIR 5 times already this year and have 2 or 3 more trips scheduled for this year.

That reverse shudder baffles the shit out of me too. Have you considered contacting Bill Boudreau to see if the cut of the gears in the tranny may have something to do with it or if it is just diff related?

RedLS1GTO
07-18-2012, 9:50am
These vids really piss me off!!!:leaving: I WANT MY DAMN CAR BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on building a C5Z. You know where to find it when you want it! :D

Of course I find it hard to believe that there could be a car that is more fun to drive. There are a lot that are faster, but I have never seen any that have quite as much... character. I just wish I could find a class to run it in competatively. With the things done to it, it puts it in classes where it is simply not even remotely competative.

I haven't made it to VIR in WAY too long. Definitely jealous of that one.

That reverse shudder baffles the shit out of me too. Have you considered contacting Bill Boudreau to see if the cut of the gears in the tranny may have something to do with it or if it is just diff related?

I have not... but I will.

I changed the trans fluid before RA and there wasn't anything abnormal about it. There was a small amount of metal, but no chunks or shavings big enough to point to something being wrong.

I'm really interested to see what it looks like in there when it all comes apart. I really did think it was a diff issue but apparently I was wrong. The only thing left to check back there is to see if the pinion itself might be screwed up somehow causing it to bind up and ruin the seals at the same time. Although I find it hard to believe that it would only be a problem in reverse if that was the case.

RedLS1GTO
07-18-2012, 10:03am
On a related note... If you get a chance, you should really check out the Goodyear RS DOT on the ZR-1

I like them a LOT better than the R6 on the C4. I think the Hoosiers have a slightly better peak, but the Goodyeras don't fall off at all. I've always felt the R6 get really greasy after a few laps. I can beat the hell out of the Goodyears and they don't seem to lose a bit. The only downside that I have found is that they are VERY slick (like driving on ice slick) for about a half of a lap until they get warm.

The wear seems to be pretty close to the R6 as well.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/botch1980/Race%20Car/2011-07-27_16-08-06_11.jpg

Shrek
07-18-2012, 10:26am
We're running sticky street Nitto NT-01's this year and they're holding up quite well!
I'll take a look at the GY's next year or when she feels like she is out running the Nitto's grip. Where are you purchasing them?

RedLS1GTO
07-18-2012, 3:16pm
Where are you purchasing them?

Competition Tire (http://www.competitiontire.com/)