PDA

View Full Version : I Just want to define harrasment by cops

lutzdog
09-03-2010, 1:53pm
I feel there is a mis understanding about cops harrasing people so i thought i would clarify it a bit since we are asked this question alot: "I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

Police Harassment

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Gloucester, we average one cop for every 800 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. And at any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 8,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations like the Wal-Mart that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.
Now, your average twelve-hour shift runs 43,200 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment with a taser. Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into swift action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses or driving suspended and the like. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a squirell on the scent of a nut. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and RUNNERS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc... They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.
After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy with due dilligence. It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well.
We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.
Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can harass me."
It's one of My favorites.

Eagleeye
09-03-2010, 2:59pm
As a sworn officer also may I summarize. Good, smart people do dumb things accidently. Habitually bad people do dumb things because thats the way they do things. We have to decide which is which and law training plus experience helps and on occasion we are wrong in which case the Judge may even tells us so ! The process is; recognize red flags, inquire, investigate then warn or punish or apologize. Next time you drive down the highway look over at the next car...One of you is a good guy and one is not as 50% of drivers out there are driving; drunk, without a license, improper registration, half asleep, bad safety equipment, et. al. ...Which one are you and what red flag do you throw at officers ?

YorkL8apex
09-03-2010, 3:15pm
Dang I'm not getting my share of "harassment" The last few times I've had the chance to be harassed, the harassment officer has talked to me like a human being and either given me a break or believed me about what happened.:confused5:

Times when I've deserved to be "harassed" for doing really stupid (but also really fun) things like checking out the top of 4th gear, these guys have been off harassing folks doing other things.

Keep harassing us guys :polis:

PortDawg
09-03-2010, 3:57pm
I feel there is a mis understanding about cops harrasing people so i thought i would clarify it a bit since we are asked this question alot: "I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

Police Harassment

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Gloucester, we average one cop for every 800 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. And at any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 8,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations like the Wal-Mart that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.
Now, your average twelve-hour shift runs 43,200 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment with a taser. Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into swift action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses or driving suspended and the like. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a squirell on the scent of a nut. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and RUNNERS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc... They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.
After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy with due dilligence. It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well.
We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.
Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can harass me."
It's one of My favorites.

Bad Night Phil?

WKMCD
09-03-2010, 4:50pm
I was doing some service work at the county jail a while back speaking with the inmates about addictions. There was one guy there because he had 5 DWI's. He insisted that "everybody" gets DWI's and that the police were harrassing him every time. :slap:

lutzdog
09-03-2010, 5:13pm
that goes to show you that we only harrass those who need harrassing lol.

and yes to portdawg it was a bad nigt

Lowcash
09-03-2010, 5:15pm
CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass black people who drive. They like to harass black drivers of Corvettes, cars with smoked plate covers and no door handles. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than 'illegal tint'. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have proper insurance and registration or a white girl sitting on the passenger side.

:lolsmile: I'm just joking. :lolsmile:

:D

jda67gta
09-03-2010, 5:16pm
Caught me over the posted limit. Punishment is I have to post the picture 1x for every mph over. Still got a ways to go. :lolsmile:

http://a.imageshack.us/img413/5451/img0035q.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/i/img0035q.jpg/)

Dang I'm glad there are car guys wearing the blue. :hurray:

Defib1961
09-03-2010, 5:40pm
Ran on a guy several years ago. He had left a nearby bar and had been pulled over for suspected DWI. When he pulled over, there was an incline, he parked too far to the right. The truck did a slow barrel roll to the bottom of the bar ditch be fore he could get out of the truck. They called us to check him out.
We pulled up and this poor guy can barely sit up much less stand up. LEO leads him to our ambulance while we are headed towards them. LEO stops with the guy in front of the patrol car. Drunk guy leans up against the front of the patrol car, crosses his arms and tries to act cool and sober. LEO was at least twenty feet from him when the drunk slowly (almost as slow as his truck barrel rolled) falls backwards. The guy never uncrosses his arms all the way to the ground. We help him up and he swears the deputy pushed him over. Said he was being harassed by the cops because he drove drunk all the time and this was the first time he had ever been stopped.

Sneaks
09-03-2010, 6:54pm

Leave it to Sean! That's friggin funny! :rofl::rofl:

Sneaks
09-03-2010, 6:56pm
You guys only get to harrass them for a little while. I get to harrass them for years! :D
If I knew which town, car, badge number, what the hell you looked like, I would gladly give you the "one finger salute" brutha, just so you could have someone to harrass without having to look around. :thumbs:

Y2Kvert4me
09-03-2010, 7:15pm
I have much respect for most LEO's....but have enough experience to say State Troopers typically have NO sense of humor at all.

They are a rather unique breed of tax collectors. :D

:leaving:

Defib1961
09-03-2010, 7:37pm
I have much respect for most LEO's....but have enough experience to say State Troopers typically have NO sense of humor at all.

They are a rather unique breed of tax collectors. :D

:leaving:

Get 'em drunk. They are hilarious.

oahuyahoo
09-03-2010, 11:09pm
The last three times I had "pleasant" interaction with police officers, they were all thrown out as they were ruled harassment by the judge. One officer is under investigation by internal affairs as he had way too many "pleasant interactions" with the public. All I can say is know the law,when you do it works on your side, unless of course you have a "pleasant interaction" with a di** he** judge.

lutzdog
09-04-2010, 12:20am
Whaaaaaaaaaaat? pulled over for shaved door handles? :rofl:

WKMCD
09-04-2010, 5:27am

DWB...:yesnod: