PDA

View Full Version : Recommended dealer for service in Hampton Roads

OV Vette
08-22-2010, 11:48am
Hi Everybody,
I have the dreaded A6 slip shift issue and I'll need to have my tranny disassembled and I don't know who to trust with the job. Has anyone had this done in the neighborhood? Can anyone recommend a good Dealer Vette Tech. Thanks for any help.

Rich

Lowcash
08-22-2010, 1:32pm
Hi Everybody,
I have the dreaded A6 slip shift issue and I'll need to have my tranny disassembled and I don't know who to trust with the job. Has anyone had this done in the neighborhood? Can anyone recommend a good Dealer Vette Tech. Thanks for any help.

Rich

Not a dealer, but well respected ... Ed @ Va. Speed. :D

nedih rotaredom
08-22-2010, 2:20pm
Robert at
Hudgins Holiday | Newport News Chevrolet Cadillac - Norfolk Chevrolet Cadillac - Hampton Chevrolet Cadillac - in Williamsburg, VA (http://www.holidaychevroletcadillac.com/)
Across the water, but only guy I have had work on mine during the warranty

PortDawg
08-22-2010, 7:20pm
I know they have one of the GM Corvette Master Mechs at Casey....guy was in the newspaper..

YorkL8apex
08-22-2010, 7:55pm
I know they have one of the GM Corvette Master Mechs at Casey....guy was in the newspaper..

I was in there a while ago and they told me Mike Arnold had passed away. They still have a dedicated Vette only service building with Vette only techs but the "Master" Mike is gone.

thegreenman
08-22-2010, 9:02pm
What kind of slip shift issues are you having? 3rd and 4th gear clutches are the known weak point for the A6. Do you have any mods that might affect the tranny?

If you are looking just to replace the A6 with another stock one or are you getting one that has been beefed up?

I also recommend Ed @ VA Speed.

PortDawg
08-23-2010, 3:51am
Ed is "da man" !

OV Vette
08-23-2010, 7:42am
The issue is associated with PIP-4395. Something about seals installed backwards when the trans was assembled. It's a 2008 and it will be warranty work by the way. What happens is if you hit the gas and let off and coast a bit before you apply the throttle again it slips and slams into gear and this is even at very low speeds. I also have it slipping at higher speeds. When I accelerate to merge the engine races and it doesn't go any faster for a few seconds then it starts to accelerate. It's dangerous when you slide into interstate traffic anticipating rapid acceleration and it just sits at the same speed for what seems like forever. I am offshore for a few more days and I've made an appointment to have the seal TSB service done next week when I get home. I have 26k on a stock car with Borlas being the only mod.

FastZR-1
08-25-2010, 8:32pm
Easiest fix... get rid of the slush box and get a vette with the 6 speed. :leaving:

No really, just kidding. :D

zz4vetteguy
09-02-2010, 11:49am
RK Chevy, when you go into the service department, ask for Tim, tell him you know Joe & John DeBeasso with the mag red 01 vert, and the 01 2500 Duramax. Won't get ya any deals, but they will take good care of ya.

Besides Ed at VA Speed, RK is the only place I will leave my Vette for any kinda work and feel comfortable leaving it.

They are the only shop that did any work on my Z28, my C4, and major work on my C5. Also the only place my father would take his old Nova, Impala, Blazer, 90 K1500 Show Truck, 01 Duramax, and my mother's Maxima...never any complaints from any of the work they ever did...well, with the exception that with all the people my father and I know there, we still have to pay for work...LOL

Plus if you ever need a OEM part, go talk to Danny in their parts department. I am not sure how he is with C6's, but with my C4, he NEVER had to refer to a book or computer to get part numbers