PDA

View Full Version : Deleted heater core, can I cap the ports vs. running a modded line?

Cobra4B
08-11-2010, 8:57am
I've removed the heater core and evap unit on my racecar build so I just modified one of the lines and ran it directly to the water pump. Normally that line goes back to the firewall to the heater core then back forward to the pump.

Thinking about it today.... do I even need that 2nd line since I'm not running the core? Can I just put a cap on the rear port on the tank and the rear port on the pump?

Unless I'm mistaken the system would still work correctly with the main line attached and vent air bubbles etc. properly right?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e158/cvbowers/2001%20Quicksilver%20Z06/DSCF4231.jpg

Thanks,

Brian

Sneaks
08-11-2010, 12:48pm
If it works the same way as the old Chevy small blocks did, you don't need that line. You can cap them off.
We used to delete the heater cores on our 1/4 mile racers and, like you said, just capped them off.
:thumbs:

Cobra4B
08-11-2010, 1:11pm
I don't see why it wouldn't work... but just trying to verify. Don't want to fill/bleed the system only to have to do it again.

I just don't know if the C5 is any different because it uses the tank as the pressure/overflow tank vs. the traditional setup with a pressure cap on the radiator itself.

Sneaks
08-11-2010, 1:24pm
That's exactly what I was wondering myself.
I still don't see where there would be a difference. Pressure cap on the radiator, or the pressure cap on the overflow tank. They both are closed systems, just different places for the pressure relief.

Cobra4B
08-11-2010, 1:42pm
I agree with you... probably going to try it anyway. I posted on here and corvettemechanic.com. Hopefully a C5 master tech will chime in over there and verify.