PDA

View Full Version : Any hunters here?

Entropy
10-22-2009, 11:41pm
I'm planning on going wild turkey hunting this weekend. Next weekend is opening pheasant season. End of November is deer season. I love this time of year.

Here's a pic from the last time I went turkey hunting.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/twieland/IMG_0088.jpg

Stangkiller
10-22-2009, 11:50pm
Nice dude, It's been years since i've been hunting.

Neutron
10-22-2009, 11:50pm
I'd love to go hunting but I don't think there's anything to hunt in New Mexico. :(:(

Entropy
10-22-2009, 11:51pm
I'd love to go hunting but I don't think there's anything to hunt in New Mexico. :(:(

Dude there's a ton of stuff to hunt, you just have to go find it. Antelope, elk, mule deer, coyotes, etc. Most of it is up in the mountain areas.

Neutron
10-22-2009, 11:54pm
Dude there's a ton of stuff to hunt, you just have to go find it. Antelope, elk, mule deer, coyotes, etc. Most of it is up in the mountain areas.

Orly I didn't know... I'm gonna seriously have to read up on it.. Hopefully I can use my AK. :cool: Though, I've been pricing Remington 700s lately. :cheers:

Neutron
10-22-2009, 11:54pm
BTW what rifle do you hunt with?

Entropy
10-23-2009, 12:00am
BTW what rifle do you hunt with?

Depends. For turkey and pheasant I use a Winchester 1300 12 gauge or my Remington 870.

For deer I can use my .30-30, .308 or either one of my shotguns with slugs. In WI I'll use one of my rifles, in Iowa I have to use a shotgun.

I'm thinking about picking up a muzzle loader so I can deer hunt more then one season.

Your AK might be alright for shorter distances, but you'd likely be better off with the Remington 700.

Check out the following website.
Should be able to find the dirt.
NMDGF (http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/index.htm)

Entropy
10-23-2009, 12:02am
Here's a pic of an antelope my dad shot in New Mexico 2 years ago.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/twieland/dadantelopebig.jpg

Neutron
10-23-2009, 12:13am
Depends. For turkey and pheasant I use a Winchester 1300 12 gauge or my Remington 870.

For deer I can use my .30-30, .308 or either one of my shotguns with slugs. In WI I'll use one of my rifles, in Iowa I have to use a shotgun.

I'm thinking about picking up a muzzle loader so I can deer hunt more then one season.

Your AK might be alright for shorter distances, but you'd likely be better off with the Remington 700.

Check out the following website.
Should be able to find the dirt.
NMDGF (http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/index.htm)

w00t Thanks for the info, man. :cheers:

Neutron
10-23-2009, 12:13am
Here's a pic of an antelope my dad shot in New Mexico 2 years ago.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/twieland/dadantelopebig.jpg

NICE!!! And yep that's New Mexico alright.:yesnod::cheers:

tuktuk
10-23-2009, 2:15am
I hunt adorable married chemists. That's why I'm here, dammit.

OK I'm lying, I'm here cuz Cessna told me about the place.

:patriot:

Entropy
10-23-2009, 11:08am
I hunt adorable married chemists. That's why I'm here, dammit.

OK I'm lying, I'm here cuz Cessna told me about the place.

:patriot:

:hurray:

:seeya:

PortDawg
10-23-2009, 11:35am
Blackpowder Deer season opens here in Va soon. Can't wait. Looks like I might be home for a hunting season for once. I've never hunted with Black powder before. :D

I hope to shoot my 30-06 at a deer or 3 this year also. I've got 3 years of catching up to do...

Oh and Hi you two above me.....:seeya:

Entropy
10-26-2009, 1:59pm
:cuss: :ulan:

Got skunked this weekend. Didn't even hear a turkey, let alone see one.

In better news I got my deer rifle sighted in, so I'm ready to go for that in about a month. Hoping to put some more meat in the freezer. :yesnod:

Iron Chef
10-26-2009, 2:03pm

Oh yeah you did... :rofl:

Entropy
10-26-2009, 2:06pm
Oh yeah you did... :rofl:

:kick: :beat:

Rob
10-26-2009, 2:18pm
:takdir: turkey hunter here.

I usually hunt with my bow during turkey season but I have been known to use the 870Mag when I am not as concerned about where I am hunting :D

I have tried the deer hunting, and although it is nice, it always seems to be nothing more than a drunk fest in the woods for a lot of people. I have stopped hunting then until I can find a safer place for my deer hunting, plus, I have plenty of neighbors that bring me deer to eat since they only like the killin aspect.

Entropy
10-26-2009, 2:30pm
:takdir: turkey hunter here.

I usually hunt with my bow during turkey season but I have been known to use the 870Mag when I am not as concerned about where I am hunting :D

I generally use my Winchester 1300, but I have an 870 as well. They are good guns.

I have tried the deer hunting, and although it is nice, it always seems to be nothing more than a drunk fest in the woods for a lot of people. I have stopped hunting then until I can find a safer place for my deer hunting, plus, I have plenty of neighbors that bring me deer to eat since they only like the killin aspect.

:willy::willy:

Drinking + hunting = :nono::nono:

Drinking after hunting is okay by me. People drunk in their stands is scary shizznit. I'm pretty serious about it, and I've shot 4 deer in the last 3 years. I have private land to hunt on, and it make a big difference. I hate hunting on public land.

Rob
10-26-2009, 3:19pm
:willy::willy:

Drinking + hunting = :nono::nono:

Drinking after hunting is okay by me. People drunk in their stands is scary shizznit. I'm pretty serious about it, and I've shot 4 deer in the last 3 years. I have private land to hunt on, and it make a big difference. I hate hunting on public land.

I could not agree more. Guns and alcohol are a BAD thing. Even though I am hunting on private property - it is all people that I know or that the owner knows and all of them are good-ol-boys.

Regardless - I have plenty of venison at the end of each season. I am just glad that I have me a nice place for turkey hunting each spring. (The only bad part of that is the 100+ ticks that I get to pull off or out of me after each hunting trip out there.)

BuckyThreadkiller
10-26-2009, 5:13pm
Once upon a time, before my eyesight went away, I was a serious bird hunter. Quail, turkey, dove, pheasant (they were imported into northwest Texas 80 years ago and decided they liked it) and ducks. We'd walk the stubble fields for pheasant and traipse through the river breaks for quail, it was a kick every fall and winter.

I was a bigtime Ducks Unlimited member and donor, too. Mostly for the banquets, because hunting ducks is the stupidest passtime ever devised by man. "Hey, it's freezing cold - let's get up at 3:30 and go the to lake and sit by the frozen water and wait for the sun to come up so we can go home when it warms up."
You may not drink when you hunt Ted, but when it's 12 degrees in a wet duck blind, I'm nipping a flask for antifreeze.

Then my eyes went and I couldn't see the front BB much less a dove in flight. I still have my shotgun - it's a simple, inexpensive Winchester 1200 I got in high school but for all the Remingtons and Benellis and Mossbergs I've tried, I've never shot a better gun than that 12 gauge pump Winchester.

snide
10-26-2009, 6:32pm

Ha! I shot 12 in my front yard this morning.
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo202/snideb/Fall2009/MoGobblers.jpg

Neutron
10-26-2009, 6:35pm
Ha! I shot 12 in my front yard this morning.
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo202/snideb/Fall2009/MoGobblers.jpg

Wow, so you really shot em all huh. :eek:

snide
10-26-2009, 6:36pm
Wow, so you really shot em all huh. :eek:

With my camera, yes. :D

Neutron
10-26-2009, 6:37pm
With my camera, yes. :D

I knew it. :D :cheers:

BuckyThreadkiller
10-26-2009, 7:01pm
Turkeys gathering around snide. Hmmmm.

They weren't bowing and chanting your direction as though they had found a deity were they, Alan?

Neutron
10-26-2009, 7:04pm
Turkeys gathering around snide. Hmmmm.

They weren't bowing and chanting your direction as though they had found a deity were they, Alan?

Might wanna check BCF, Bucky. Snide's having a meltdown. :lol:

BuckyThreadkiller
10-26-2009, 7:15pm
Where? I didn't find where he's making any more or less sense than usual.

I'm more worried about a forlorn joebuck doing away with himself by jumping out a window... and then remembering he lives on the ground floor.

Neutron
10-26-2009, 7:19pm
Where? I didn't find where he's making any more or less sense than usual.

I'm more worried about a forlorn joebuck doing away with himself by jumping out a window... and then remembering he lives on the ground floor.

Jesus. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lmfao:

willyfastz
10-26-2009, 7:28pm
We hunt, my son has killed 4 bucks so far this season (he's 9 years old) and I've killed 2. My wildlife camera was showing loads of turkeys before deer season came in, but I haven't seen any since.

Entropy
10-26-2009, 9:05pm
Once upon a time, before my eyesight went away, I was a serious bird hunter. Quail, turkey, dove, pheasant (they were imported into northwest Texas 80 years ago and decided they liked it) and ducks. We'd walk the stubble fields for pheasant and traipse through the river breaks for quail, it was a kick every fall and winter.

Pheasant season starts this Saturday. I'm freakin' stoked. I don't have a dog, but my buddy does. Even if I can't go out with him, I'll load up the car and cruise the back roads looking for stupid roosters on the side of the road.

I was a bigtime Ducks Unlimited member and donor, too. Mostly for the banquets, because hunting ducks is the stupidest passtime ever devised by man. "Hey, it's freezing cold - let's get up at 3:30 and go the to lake and sit by the frozen water and wait for the sun to come up so we can go home when it warms up."
You may not drink when you hunt Ted, but when it's 12 degrees in a wet duck blind, I'm nipping a flask for antifreeze.

:rofl:

Duck and goose hunting is the only bird hunting I haven't done yet. That doesn't make me want to go. :rofl:

I like to get out and support Friends of the NRA. They support the local high school trap team, which seems to go to state every year.

Then my eyes went and I couldn't see the front BB much less a dove in flight. I still have my shotgun - it's a simple, inexpensive Winchester 1200 I got in high school but for all the Remingtons and Benellis and Mossbergs I've tried, I've never shot a better gun than that 12 gauge pump Winchester.

I definitely understand. I have 2 shotguns, a Remington 870 and a Winchester 1300. The one that goes with me to the field: the 1300. I can't explain it, it just does a damn good job.

BuckyThreadkiller
10-26-2009, 9:21pm
We never hunted pheasant with a dog - we'd take 30 guys to a field and stand half of 'em at the end of the field to block and the rest would drive down to the opposite section line and the walk towards the blockers. The birds are dumb, they'd run up and down the stubble rows until they couldn't see a way out and they'd fly. Then everybody starts shooting.

I'd be lying if I said we all didn't get peppered a time or two. Carhardt jackets are more pellet proof than you'd think.

Entropy
10-26-2009, 9:29pm
We never hunted pheasant with a dog - we'd take 30 guys to a field and stand half of 'em at the end of the field to block and the rest would drive down to the opposite section line and the walk towards the blockers. The birds are dumb, they'd run up and down the stubble rows until they couldn't see a way out and they'd fly. Then everybody starts shooting.

I'd be lying if I said we all didn't get peppered a time or two. Carhardt jackets are more pellet proof than you'd think.
Duly noted on the Carhardt jacket.

Main reason we use dogs is that often we're in a big hay field that hasn't been cut, and often we're looking for maybe 1 or 2 birds. That and the population has taken a beating in the last 2 years with the hard winters.