PDA

View Full Version : Blackwings...Do They REALLY Work?

Iron Chef
06-01-2012, 9:58am
Disclaimer...I am probably going to buy one anyway BUT...

Does a Blackwing air intake really help your car that much for $329.00? Is the factory airbox really that restrictive that I'll pick up 15 or so HP, or is it one of those deals where you should do it in conjunction with other mods.

I really kind of like my ZR-1 the way it is and I don't want to go crazy with the mods, but I like to make subtle improvements where I can.

Thanks! :cert:

WW7
06-01-2012, 11:01am
On my car the maf sensor is the bottleneck, the air intake system moves more air then the maf can flow...On a ZR-1 I don't know the setup, but if you have a maf sensor you can bet thats the restriction...WW

DukeAllen
06-01-2012, 11:08am
These things usually are only worth it on heavily modded engines. On my mustang, the PO had removed the air silencer in the intake and added a K&N. I'm told it adds a mighty 2 (TWO!) horsepower :D

mike100
06-01-2012, 2:53pm
LT5 is speed density so no MAF.

They say the open filter element is the best thing to do. I have been considering getting a k&N to go with my open filter frame- maybe there is a 1/2 an inch of restriction to be gained(reduced) by putting an oiled gauze filter...I dunno. I think I'm at the point where there isn't going to be any gains until headers find their way onto my engine..I'm ported on the top end fairly well, but the car won't go any faster.

One thing to think about also is the wire coil mod to support the intake bellows from collapsing. My 30k mile one doesn't do it yet, but people are pretty adamant about it, as that wide coupler is bound to get sucked closed after it has had enough engine heat cycles.

Iron Chef
06-03-2012, 1:10pm
LT5 is speed density so no MAF.

They say the open filter element is the best thing to do. I have been considering getting a k&N to go with my open filter frame- maybe there is a 1/2 an inch of restriction to be gained(reduced) by putting an oiled gauze filter...I dunno. I think I'm at the point where there isn't going to be any gains until headers find their way onto my engine..I'm ported on the top end fairly well, but the car won't go any faster.

One thing to think about also is the wire coil mod to support the intake bellows from collapsing. My 30k mile one doesn't do it yet, but people are pretty adamant about it, as that wide coupler is bound to get sucked closed after it has had enough engine heat cycles.

Ah, well looks like I'll just leave it as is then. What is the wire coil mod? :bigears:

mike100
06-03-2012, 4:17pm
Ah, well looks like I'll just leave it as is then. What is the wire coil mod? :bigears:

I have not seen it, but I'm sure it is just a turn or two of stiff wire that fits into the intake bellows to keep it from sucking closed. You could probably make one out of a coat hanger in a pinch. There was also an updated plastic bellows from GM that was thicker.

Seeing as how you have a 94, I'd guess you might not need one since it is the thicker one- but who knows.

jda67gta
06-03-2012, 5:06pm
My understanding is the best mod is to open up the existing air box frame. That's what I did on my 94, but it's not a Z, so keeping the original box has value. Most vendors do sell a modified box, and with a K&N filter...:seasix:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/captions425/609/609039/609039.jpg
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-135-699.html