PDA

View Full Version : Holly Carb experts.....?

Kerrmudgeon
05-25-2012, 7:32am
Anyone know what Holley list no. 4668 was used for and how many cfms it is. The numbers on the butterflies don't add up to anything close. thanks.:D

dwjz06
05-25-2012, 8:04am
Anyone know what Holley list no. 4668 was used for and how many cfms it is. The numbers on the butterflies don't add up to anything close. thanks.:DRob. Not positive, but the little I saw it might be a Mopar version around 600 cfm. What did you get it from?

This one of the listings I read.

'B-RB' ENGINE INDUCTION PACKAGES
1971, 383 4-Bbl. Super Stock
Carb: 1971, 383 Holley 4-Bbl. (List 4668, 4735, 6191, 6193)
Manifold: Edelbrock STR-15-4
Manifold Modifications: See Figure A
Carb Specifications: 1971, 383 Holley 4-Bbl.
Throttle Side Diaphram Side
Primary Jets: #77 #64
PVCR: .086" .025"
Sec. Main Restriction: .073" .120"
Idle Restriction: .060" .060"

allthrottleandsomebottle
05-25-2012, 8:16am
vacuum secondary holley 4-barrel. Factory application is 1971 Chrysler Road Runner with 383 engine.
Should be Model 4160...................more info:
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10015-1.pdf

Many things could have been changed.........I have seen a few frankencarbs over the years

Kerrmudgeon
05-25-2012, 8:29am
Rob. Not positive, but the little I saw it might be a Mopar version around 600 cfm. What did you get it from?

This one of the listings I read.

'B-RB' ENGINE INDUCTION PACKAGES
1971, 383 4-Bbl. Super Stock
Carb: 1971, 383 Holley 4-Bbl. (List 4668, 4735, 6191, 6193)
Manifold: Edelbrock STR-15-4
Manifold Modifications: See Figure A
Carb Specifications: 1971, 383 Holley 4-Bbl.
Throttle Side Diaphram Side
Primary Jets: #77 #64
PVCR: .086" .025"
Sec. Main Restriction: .073" .120"
Idle Restriction: .060" .060"

A guy I know had it kicking around his garage for years, and gave it to me. I had no idea where/what it came from. Size of bores is right for 600cfms. Thanks guys. :seasix:

mrvette
05-25-2012, 9:21am
Don't use it, they are home of the leak and fires.....

I have yet to see any Holley carb that been on a car very long, that don't be dripping fuel, or how many times I seen a fresh Holley on some hotrod and the manifold is all needing cleaned from the fuel stains....

back in the carb daze they were the #ONE cause of engine fires....specifically HOLLEY carbs....

Kerrmudgeon
05-25-2012, 9:24am
Don't use it, they are home of the leak and fires.....

I have yet to see any Holley carb that been on a car very long, that don't be dripping fuel, or how many times I seen a fresh Holley on some hotrod and the manifold is all needing cleaned from the fuel stains....

back in the carb daze they were the #ONE cause of engine fires....specifically HOLLEY carbs....

....used Holleys all my life, and never had a problem with leaks. You just have to know to assemble them, o-rings, gaskets, and the right torque on the screws. :seasix:

MrPeabody
05-25-2012, 9:30am
....used Holleys all my life, and never had a problem with leaks. You just have to know to assemble them, o-rings, gaskets, and the right torque on the screws. :seasix:

:iagree: I always had good luck with Holley carbs and I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a Hot Rod build today, mainly because it's the only carb I have lots of experience with. I also find them easy to work on.

There are better made carbs today, though.

mrvette
05-25-2012, 9:40am
An old buddy of mine used to work inside/fire damage claims for GEICO, and he found out about Holley real quick, this all back in the 60's....

Holley was the carb involved on like 90% of the fire claims, followed by Qjet for another 5% then all the rest....

and what I see on cars at various cruise nights/events.....

:dance::leaving::kimblair:

6spdC6
05-25-2012, 9:54am

I used Holley’s on a couple of my hot cars in the 60s no problems. Shit I even had a well set up 3 barrel that I ran for a while, It did drop my et a tenth or so over the other Holley that I normally ran but it also cut my awful mileage on my well modified Dodge 67 RT 440 by about a third. That Dodge was my only car and I ran it winter or summer had no winter beater then!

I also worked PT at my buddy’s speed shop/ garage and do not ever remember hearing anything bad about them as in fire starters. At that garage I changed jets and other components on dozens of Holley’s and found them to be a nice carb to work on. I remember I would rather do a Holley than a Carter AFB any day!

Fastguy
05-25-2012, 4:28pm
I would guess that a lot of engine fires are the result of crappy rubber fuel lines, and poor maintenance and parts selection, not the carb. Since Holley carbs are a popular addition, it stands to reason that they are exposed to crappy fuel line more than a Q-Jet that typically runs metal from the fuel pump to carb inlet. People cut the metal line and slip some cheap rubber hose over it and mate it up to the carb. Since the metal line has no flare, they overtighten the worm gear clamp which cracks the line and it eventually leaks. I have run Holley, Edelbrock/Carter and Q-jets and can't say one leaks worse than the other. The other thing you see with aftermarket carbs are people using giant return springs which wear out the shaft bushing and cause it to drip.
If you set it up with the right spring, the right line and the right linkage, it will work properly. People also tend to cheap out and run a manual choke hard wired open. If the car backfires when cold, it blows fire and gas onto the air cleaner and starts a nice little campfire.

mrvette
05-25-2012, 4:34pm
Guys, My eyes are not lying, and my old friend since '66 now, is not krazy.....

rest my case.....

:cert:

Aflac
05-25-2012, 5:19pm
i'll stick with my Q-jet... :leaving: