PDA

View Full Version : What a great couple of days at Watkins Glen

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 5:07pm
My fastest lap 2:16:66. I need a lot of work.

Watkins Glen 014 - YouTube

My car had a great garage mate.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/vatorman/Watkins%20Glen/IMG_0260.jpg

Met some fantastic people there. We were parked right by Jim and Kathy Stout-Big Viper people-racing in the GT series this year. Also ran into the Spirit of Daytona Corvette prototype as we were about to pull out.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/vatorman/Watkins%20Glen/WatkinsGlen011.jpg

They were there for Continental tires testing. Interesting-got to talk to the owner. He was really trying to push the Rolex series to get into the LeMans race.

Jeff '79
05-23-2012, 5:12pm
142 mph down to 74 mph through the corner...That had to be a riot !
Great video there...The car sounded great.....:seasix:

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 5:13pm
142 mph down to 74 mph through the corner...That had to be a riot !
Great video there...The car sounded great.....:seasix:

WG is one of my favorite tracks-I think the GPS slipped a bit as I KNOW i was 115 at the top of the S's. I did mow down half the cones at turn 1 next lap. :lol:

CBonsall
05-23-2012, 5:15pm
its on my list of things to do, drive on that track.

Jeff '79
05-23-2012, 5:17pm
WG is one of my favorite tracks-I think the GPS slipped a bit as I KNOW i was 115 at the top of the S's. I did mow down half the cones at turn 1 next lap. :lol:

:rofl: I'd have to do a few practice laps before I really hung it out.The first few laps would really scare me until I got a feel for the corners, and how fast you can get into them, w/o f'n up....
I don't know...It looked like 142 to me.......:dance:

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 5:23pm
:rofl: I'd have to do a few practice laps before I really hung it out.The first few laps would really scare me until I got a feel for the corners, and how fast you can get into them, w/o f'n up....
I don't know...It looked like 142 to me.......:dance:

Turn 1 and turn 9 are the most "interesting". You screw up 9 and you WILL meet Mr. Wall. :kick:

Bingo Fuel
05-23-2012, 5:26pm
Holy crap that looks like fun! :cert:
Does WG loan out the camera and GPS setup or is it yours?

Datawiz
05-23-2012, 5:27pm
:seasix:

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 5:28pm
Holy crap that looks like fun! :cert:
Does WG loan out the camera and GPS setup or is it yours?

It's an iPhone and an app called Harry's Laptimer. It's better than a trackmate and get this-$16.

Bingo Fuel
05-23-2012, 5:31pm
It's an iPhone and an app called Harry's Laptimer. It's better than a trackmate and get this-$16.

Very cool. I didn't know it even existed.
Sure can't beat $16 bucks. :cert:

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 6:03pm
Found the pic of the car.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/vatorman/Watkins%20Glen/WatkinsGlen012.jpg

Jeff '79
05-23-2012, 6:07pm
Found the pic of the car.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/vatorman/Watkins%20Glen/WatkinsGlen012.jpg

Did you take it for a few hot laps ?....:D

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 6:14pm
Did you take it for a few hot laps ?....:D

I wish. Interesting tip. This car was Right hand drive. You wanna know why?

Jeff '79
05-23-2012, 6:15pm

I'll play....It's from Europe ?

Datawiz
05-23-2012, 6:16pm

Because it puts the driver away from the outside wall?

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 6:17pm
They look at the schedule and place the driver on the side away from the pit wall for most of their races. Helps on driver changes. I'd have never known that.

bradc6
05-23-2012, 6:34pm
:seasix:

CBonsall
05-23-2012, 6:35pm
They look at the schedule and place the driver on the side away from the pit wall for most of their races. Helps on driver changes. I'd have never known that.

i wouldnt have guessed that. but it sounds good.

Nemesis
05-23-2012, 6:42pm
Pretty cool. Not a bad lap. Lines could need work, but not bad.

You can toss the car into just about any of the turns and come out on the other end. All except for that downhill left going into the boot. There may still be some red paint on the guardrail from when I slammed into it.

Who did you run with? Open test day?

VatorMan
05-23-2012, 6:49pm

You can toss the car into just about any of the turns and come out on the other end. All except for that downhill left going into the boot. There may still be some red paint on the guardrail from when I slammed into it.

CHIN. MASSIVE track time. You have a 30 min session and just enough time to bleed brakes or take a dump before the next session.

Nemesis
05-23-2012, 7:23pm
CHIN. MASSIVE track time. You have a 30 min session and just enough time to bleed brakes or take a dump before the next session.

:lol:

Sorry if that last post was a bit condescending. I was running out the door.

ZipZap
05-23-2012, 7:45pm
I'm passing on a race up there this weekend due to my low faith in fellow racers...

Too much Armco for a Spec Miata race. It looks like a really fast layout, so I would love to try it sometime. Fast Spec Miatas are running under 2:23:leaving:

Nemesis
05-23-2012, 8:25pm
I'm passing on a race up there this weekend due to my low faith in fellow racers...

Too much Armco for a Spec Miata race. It looks like a really fast layout, so I would love to try it sometime. Fast Spec Miatas are running under 2:23:leaving:

Make sure you run it eventually. It's an amazing track.

Since you're passing this weekend, come run with Pro-IT (http://www.proitseries.com/) June 2-3 at NJMP instead. We're supporting the national. Only 28 so far, but it'll fill up. It's a great group to run with.
Registration (http://dlbracing.com/)

snide
05-23-2012, 9:56pm
:cool: Looks like you had fun!

:cheers:

sasnglass77
05-23-2012, 9:58pm

I remember that!

Yeah I was going to ask the same question too. Who did you run with?

island14
05-24-2012, 1:10am
Turn 1 and turn 9 are the most "interesting". You screw up 9 and you WILL meet Mr. Wall. :kick:

Mr Wall would hurt you without a roll cage and door bars :yesnod:

Just curious, do the late model Corvettes have traction control on them?

Looks like you had a great time! :cert:

Nemesis
05-24-2012, 1:52am
Mr Wall would hurt you without a roll cage and door bars :yesnod:

Just curious, do the late model Corvettes have traction control on them?

Looks like you had a great time! :cert:

My dad's 2007 does. Doesn't do much though.

island14
05-24-2012, 2:17am
My dad's 2007 does. Doesn't do much though.

I've tried it before, and a good one is awesome on 10 inch slicks!

Just hammer down the throttle coming off the corner and let the computer take over, even with side bite traction loss it corrects if you hang on. :yesnod:

But to me it takes out a lot of the driver equation, and was outlawed in a lot of classes, and tracks.

Some tracks it does not make much difference to a good shoe, but it does help the others out a lot, and other tracks everyone would be at a big disadvantage to the ones who had it.

Nemesis
05-24-2012, 2:31am
I agree with all of what you said.

What racing were you involved in? I've seen you mention it a few times before too.

island14
05-24-2012, 2:55am
I agree with all of what you said.

What racing were you involved in? I've seen you mention it a few times before too.

I grew up around racing, Dad raced before me and after Mom made him quit he was still going to tracks every weekend so I tagged along as I also loved the sport since birth.

Dad bought me a Kart which I practiced with on a homemade dirt track near our home at age 7, then started racing karts on paved road tracks, and also circle tracks at about age 10.

Moved on to pavement Oval Track Racing later, mostly open wheel Modifieds, and also the full body Late Models.

I truly miss the days of hitting the shows of sometimes 3 to 4 times a week. :yesnod:

Nemesis
05-24-2012, 3:25am
You started young. Very cool!

There is a track not too far from you, on one of the islands. You ever go?

NB2K
05-24-2012, 3:29am
Best thread ever.

island14
05-24-2012, 3:35am
You started young. Very cool!

There is a track not too far from you, on one of the islands. You ever go?

I have not heard of any tracks around here. :island14:

If you know of any please let me know.

Are you up late or early Drew? not many people online here my time of day :lol:

Nemesis
05-24-2012, 3:50am
I have not heard of any tracks around here. :island14:

If you know of any please let me know.

Are you up late or early Drew? not many people online here my time of day :lol:

:funny: Very late. It's past 430 (now almost 5). At this rate, I'll fall asleep at noon.

There's Clark International Speedway. I couldn't find a website, apart from their facebook page. It lists the address at: 2009 Angeles, Philippines. It doesn't look like much more than a paved field with small tire barriers, but racing is racing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clark-International-Speedway/173105949375562

There's also Batangas Racing Circuit. I couldn't find an official page for this track either, but their facebook page lists the information at: Address: 1106 P. Binay Street, Cor. Borneo, San Isidro, Makati City, Philippines Tel. No. 632-8172241/8174895; Fax No. 632-8151241
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Batangas-Racing-Circuit/136518703051385

The second one appears to be quite a bit bigger.

I had put some serious thought into moving when you posted pictures, and of course this is what I researched.

island14
05-24-2012, 5:00am
Thanks Drew!

If ever I get up that way I will check it out.

From here it is only an hour or so by boat, then 3 hours by bus, then another hour or so flight from here.. :lol:

BoracayJohnny lives pretty close to them, maybe I will have to go visit him and see some racing at the same time. :seasix:

I did read somewhere about some Kart racing somewhere up north also, not sure where, but maybe at one of those tracks.

:cert:

69camfrk
05-24-2012, 5:13am
Great video!:seasix:

VatorMan
05-24-2012, 5:43am
I was playing around with Windows movie maker last night and my GoPro vid. I love roof shots.

Watkins Glen fun - YouTube

Nemesis
05-24-2012, 9:58am
Thanks Drew!

If ever I get up that way I will check it out.

From here it is only an hour or so by boat, then 3 hours by bus, then another hour or so flight from here.. :lol:

BoracayJohnny lives pretty close to them, maybe I will have to go visit him and see some racing at the same time. :seasix:

I did read somewhere about some Kart racing somewhere up north also, not sure where, but maybe at one of those tracks.

:cert:

Oh my lord, that's a far trip. But, happy I could help! :cheers:

I could be wrong, but I think there's one more. I'm sure someone at the other tracks would know.

Bucwheat
05-24-2012, 10:36am
My Grandmother used to own most of the land that is now Watkins Glen,sold it to the developer in 1947.

VatorMan
05-24-2012, 12:43pm
My Grandmother used to own most of the land that is now Watkins Glen,sold it to the developer in 1947.

Tell your G'ma Thanks !!!!:cert::cert:

Bucwheat
05-24-2012, 12:51pm
She be wit da angels.:seasix:

Nemesis
05-24-2012, 1:13pm

She must have seen those early races on the streets. :cool:

VatorMan
05-24-2012, 1:33pm
She must have seen those early races on the streets. :cool:

I had wished I had more time. Wife and I were gonna drive the old course-just never had the time.

Nemesis
05-24-2012, 3:21pm
I had wished I had more time. Wife and I were gonna drive the old course-just never had the time.

Now you have to go back. What a shame.