PDA

View Full Version : The 10 happiest Countries (surprising)...

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 4:08pm
An organization called 24/7 Wall St. examined the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development’s (OECD) report on life satisfaction in the developed world. Economic prosperity, health and a strong social support network continue to correspond highly with happiness. Once again, the United States fails to make the top 10 happiest nations in the world, while countries like Australia, Israel and all of the Scandinavian nations do.

Economic prosperity appears to be one of the strongest factors that relates to overall life satisfaction. Of the 10 countries with the highest levels of happiness, nine have personal incomes that are higher than the OECD average. Eight of them have among the highest disposable incomes among developed nations.

In addition, the overall regional economies of these 10 nations appear to be doing exceptionally well. Government debt as a percentage of gross domestic product in these countries is either among the smallest in the developed world, or these nations are actually running a surplus.

After economic stability, physical and social well-being are the largest determinants for happiness. The U.S. ranks 11th in life satisfaction, just missing the top 10. This suggests that while some of these categories may impact happiness, they do not guarantee it. Despite its above-average score, the U.S. has the highest rate of disposable income in the OECD and an extremely high rate of self-reported good health. The U.S. also has a low job security rate and a relatively high long-term unemployment rate.

Anyway, here they are:

1. Denmark
2. Norway
3. Netherlands
4. Switzerland
5. Austria
6. Israel
7. Finland
8. Australia
9. Canada
10. Sweden
The Happiest Countries in the World - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-happiest-countries-in-the-world.html?page=1)

Kerrmudgeon
05-23-2012, 4:25pm
An organization called 24/7 Wall St. examined the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development’s (OECD) report on life satisfaction in the developed world. Economic prosperity, health and a strong social support network continue to correspond highly with happiness. Once again, the United States fails to make the top 10 happiest nations in the world, while countries like Australia, Israel and all of the Scandinavian nations do.

Economic prosperity appears to be one of the strongest factors that relates to overall life satisfaction. Of the 10 countries with the highest levels of happiness, nine have personal incomes that are higher than the OECD average. Eight of them have among the highest disposable incomes among developed nations.

In addition, the overall regional economies of these 10 nations appear to be doing exceptionally well. Government debt as a percentage of gross domestic product in these countries is either among the smallest in the developed world, or these nations are actually running a surplus.

After economic stability, physical and social well-being are the largest determinants for happiness. The U.S. ranks 11th in life satisfaction, just missing the top 10. This suggests that while some of these categories may impact happiness, they do not guarantee it. Despite its above-average score, the U.S. has the highest rate of disposable income in the OECD and an extremely high rate of self-reported good health. The U.S. also has a low job security rate and a relatively high long-term unemployment rate.

Anyway, here they are:

1. Denmark
2. Norway
3. Netherlands
4. Switzerland
5. Austria
6. Israel
7. Finland
8. Australia
9. Canada
10. Sweden
The Happiest Countries in the World - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-happiest-countries-in-the-world.html?page=1)

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

:canada:

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 4:27pm
:hurray::hurray::hurray:

:canada:

I'm very happy Canada made the list. If you read the link, what was surprising to me was the incomes of people in the top 10 are pretty low. And Israel? :confused5:

mrvette
05-23-2012, 4:29pm
Cyber friend in Netherlands.....he not so happy, as the nation has been totally invaded by islamics and so not doing so well....

I suspect that book has been cooked.....

:sadangel:

Kerrmudgeon
05-23-2012, 4:32pm
I'm very happy Canada made the list. If you read the link, what was surprising to me was the incomes of people in the top 10 are pretty low. And Israel? :confused5:

Pretty hard to get an accurate gauge for HAPPINESS! A country like Israel has a ton of pride in their homeland, so the results would be skewed for sure. Westerners tend to grumble more. :madwoman:

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 4:57pm
Pretty hard to get an accurate gauge for HAPPINESS! A country like Israel has a ton of pride in their homeland, so the results would be skewed for sure. Westerners tend to grumble more. :madwoman:

True, but I had no arguments with the way the link measured happiness. It seemed to be as objective as you can get.

Joecooool
05-23-2012, 5:08pm

Anyway, here they are:

1. Denmark
2. Norway
3. Netherlands
4. Switzerland
5. Austria
6. Israel
7. Finland
8. Australia
9. Canada
10. Sweden
The Happiest Countries in the World - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-happiest-countries-in-the-world.html?page=1)Every one of those countries has socialized medicine.

MrPeabody
05-23-2012, 5:13pm
Every one of those countries has socialized medicine.

And beautiful women.:seasix:

badbirdcage
05-23-2012, 6:42pm

Y Que?

VITE1
05-23-2012, 6:58pm

What’s Your Better Life Index? ? OECD Better Life Index (http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/about/better-life-initiative/)

Since they limit the amount of countries they survey and there methodology is canted it makes sense.

Bucwheat
05-24-2012, 8:19am
It's hard to believe Israel is on that list with a war going on every day there.

island14
05-24-2012, 8:28am
I'm surprised the Philippines is not on the list..

There are a lot of poor, but all I know are happy people that seem to have no worries.

10. Sweden

My buddy "Rob" from Sweden tells me it is the highest taxed country in the world, not sure if that is true or not :island14:

04 commemorative
05-24-2012, 8:53am
It's hard to believe Israel is on that list with a war going on every day there.

and them being a rude bunch too....

DJ_Critterus
05-24-2012, 9:23am

Go ahead and add a blurb about goverment supplied contraceptives, too. :rolleyes:

Cybercowboy
05-24-2012, 9:39am
Ah, a study done by Occupy Wall Street drones. I'll file it in the circular...