PDA

View Full Version : Our ketchup lives just changed...

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 2:23pm
It's the world's biggest non-problemic problem: getting the last bit of ketchup out of the jar. Ketchup is so viscous, and it seems so eager to stick to glass and plastic. But leave it to students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to solve the greatest non-issues of our generation: A team of engineers have designed the perfect condiment bottle — one that ketchup simply cannot stick to.

The secret is in a futuristic substance known as "LiquiGlide," a non-toxic, FDA-approved coating that can be applied to the interior of bottles. According to MIT PhD candidate Dave Smith, it's "kind of a structured liquid — it's rigid like a solid, but it's lubricated like a liquid." Regardless of what the bottle is constructed of, liquid or plastic, ketchup will flow out of it nearly effortlessly.

It seems like ketchup sticking to the inside of bottles is a more compelling problem than many realize — a rival team at nearby Harvard University have been working on similar, plant-derived, ketchup bottle technology. And the idea of a friction-less ketchup bottle caught enough people's imaginations to win the audience choice award at the MIT $100K Entrepreneurship Competition.

MIT Team Create Ketchup Bottle That Pours Like Milk - YouTube

Ending bottle friction is a noble goal. Any technology to get ketchup out of bottles easier could make a serious dent in helping reduce food waste in a $33 billion condiment industry. Smith explains that the new bottles "could save one million tons of food from being thrown out every year."

Interestingly enough, LiquiGlide wasn't initially designed to be used for ketchup — the original idea had the coating being used as an anti-icing coating, or a pipe coating that might help reduce oil and gas clogs. But as Smith explains, "most of these other applications have a much longer time to market; we realized we could make this coating for bottles that is pretty much ready. I mean, it is ready."

Yerf Dog
05-23-2012, 2:25pm
Pretty damn cool! :seasix:

I'm kind of sick of the squeeze bottles anyway. :D

Jeff '79
05-23-2012, 2:26pm
:cool1:

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 2:27pm

You mean you don't like the farting sound it makes when it's nearly empty? Or the aerosol spray of ketchup it spews on you?

Sea Six
05-23-2012, 2:28pm
Is the Ketchup Advisory Board endorsing this product?

kingpin
05-23-2012, 2:33pm
I bet there is a lot of tricks being played with coffee cups and food plates over at M.I.T. right now.

Mike Mercury
05-23-2012, 2:36pm
Is the Ketchup Advisory Board endorsing this product?

will there be a special tax on the product... ya know... just to be fair?

Sea Six
05-23-2012, 2:39pm
will there be a special tax on the product... ya know... just to be fair?

Redistribution of ketchup

bradc6
05-23-2012, 2:48pm
Sounds like something Clark Griswold would come up with.

Poog
05-23-2012, 2:56pm
Meh, I stopped eating ketchup when I found out how much sugar is in it. :ack:

vtelvr
05-23-2012, 3:08pm
Wonder if it could be applied to motor oil containers??

NeedSpeed
05-23-2012, 3:09pm
Great, next thing you know kids will be getting their peckers stuck in bottles now :leaving:

Kerrmudgeon
05-23-2012, 3:10pm
Something is just not right there? Like what chemical are we ingesting to have better flow? Don't trust it. :nono:

NeedSpeed
05-23-2012, 3:12pm
Something is just not right there? Like what chemical are we ingesting to have better flow? Don't trust it. :nono:

Do you avoid the linings on most canned goods?

NEED-A-VETTE
05-23-2012, 3:17pm
Meh, I stopped eating ketchup when I found out how much sugar is in it. :ack:

I stopped eating ketchup after I was over the age of 6. :leaving:

Yerf Dog
05-23-2012, 3:17pm
You mean you don't like the farting sound it makes when it's nearly empty? Or the aerosol spray of ketchup it spews on you?

No, I like the farting sound. I will indeed miss it.

The red mist, I can do without.

Kerrmudgeon
05-23-2012, 3:22pm
Do you avoid the linings on most canned goods?

I don't use canned food and that's one of the reasons. That white coating has cancer causing residues that leach into the food. I prefer fresh or frozen anyway.:seasix:

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 3:32pm

FWIW, this product has been FDA approved.

mrvette
05-23-2012, 3:35pm
I have a much better, cheaper way.....

but I not saying....had it with .gov and business....

I take my ideas with me.....

seriously.....3-4 of them, not going to do a damn thing to enrich China inc....

:shots::kimblair:

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 3:42pm

Aw, hell! You can tell us. We're your friends.

MrPeabody
05-23-2012, 3:43pm
There would be no problem to begin with if they would just put ketchup in jars so you could get all of it out with a spoon. Since I make my own ketchup, this is what I do.

Bucwheat
05-23-2012, 3:57pm
Spend all that money to save 2 cents worth of Ketchup.:slap:

mrvette
05-23-2012, 4:02pm
Aw, hell! You can tell us. We're your friends.

NOT happening, totally don't trust the legal system, much less the .gov and the conniving bastards that run it....

maybe 50 years ago, before the slickster era much less the .comm era where this goes SO fast to China, that I can't even wake up next morning....

:issues: dead assed serious...:cert:

Jeff '79
05-23-2012, 4:10pm

I call Bull Shit !!....:stfupic:

NeedSpeed
05-23-2012, 4:21pm
Spend all that money to save 2 cents worth of Ketchup.:slap:

Over 650 million bottles of Heinz Ketchup are sold around the world in more than 140 countries, with annual sales of more than $1.5 billion

That's just Heinz, it adds up.

At what speed does ketchup exit the iconic glass bottle?

Ketchup exits the iconic glass bottle at .028 miles per hour. If the viscosity of the ketchup is greater than this speed, the ketchup is rejected for sale.

They're going to have problems :willy:

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 4:25pm
That's just Heinz, it adds up.

They're going to have problems :willy:

MIT invented the product to save food, but the ketchup companies will sell it as more of a convenience, get-every-drop-you-paid-for thing. I assume this invention is patented. Wonder what the rights to it are worth?

I don't think it effects the viscosity of the ketchup itself, does it?

mrvette
05-23-2012, 4:34pm
I call Bull Shit !!....:stfupic:

MAY you might, and honestly, I don't GIVE a shit.....

think for a nanosecond I as having NO money to finance some multi billion buck lawsuit while China Inc. cleans up....

no way.....it's not all that much, or high tech, just works....

so instead of getting pissed off, and having more kill targets....I limit my targets to the doable and get outta the modern business life....

:sadangel::leaving:

NeedSpeed
05-23-2012, 4:37pm
MIT invented the product to save food, but the ketchup companies will sell it as more of a convenience, get-every-drop-you-paid-for thing. I assume this invention is patented. Wonder what the rights to it are worth?

No, but if they use bottle speed to measure it, they'll need to keep some old bottles around :D

MrPeabody
05-23-2012, 4:40pm

Now they will make the bottles smaller and raise the price.

lspencer534
05-23-2012, 4:55pm
Now they will make the bottles smaller and raise the price.

Yep, just like coffee. You know, someone had to point out to me that a "pound of coffee" isn't a pound any more.

Bingo Fuel
05-23-2012, 6:29pm

:iagree:

Welch's Grape Jelly is the absolute worst offender.
Can't get the last 1/3rd - 1/4 out of the dang bottle.

mrvette
05-23-2012, 8:26pm
:iagree:

Welch's Grape Jelly is the absolute worst offender.
Can't get the last 1/3rd - 1/4 out of the dang bottle.

Bet I can enable that,......

my invention works.....guaranfreekingteed......

:seasix:

Bill
05-23-2012, 8:59pm
Meh, I stopped eating ketchup when I found out how much high fructose corn syrup is in it. :ack:

Fixed.

Bill
05-23-2012, 9:02pm
Yep, just like coffee. You know, someone had to point out to me that a "pound of coffee" isn't a pound any more.

Try the French Market (made in New Orleans) brand. They still sell in 1 lb cans. I'm particularly fond of the chicory infused version. Of course, when I run out, I just drink a regular cup of coffee, then chase it by licking a tree......

Bill
05-23-2012, 9:05pm

http://www.shitimiss.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/metamucil.jpg

Chris Fowler
05-23-2012, 9:33pm
So this product would cost the ketchup companies more money to bottle and result in you buying ketchup less often.

And they're going to do this why?

Bill
05-23-2012, 9:42pm
Because they'll sell you a smaller bottle at the same price...and make more money.

They can and are already doing that, all without the added expense of reformulating their bottles with an expensive, proprietary coating.

JRD77VET
05-23-2012, 9:49pm
So this product would cost the ketchup companies more money to bottle and result in you buying ketchup less often.

And they're going to do this why?

So Heinz uses this fancy bottle so the ketchup comes out easier.

I can see it now, somebody that's used to old style bottle is going to use the same motion they've used for decades and put half the bottle on their food. :madwoman:

The next purchase will be some other brand without the fancy coating. :lol: