PDA

View Full Version : How to cook perfect bacon...

lspencer534
05-22-2012, 9:33am
I'll have to try this:

Super Quick Video Tips: How to Make the Most Perfect Bacon Ever - YouTube

Sea Six
05-22-2012, 9:35am
:drool:

IB4Dixie

Sea Six
05-22-2012, 9:36am
I love makin' bacon.

:funny:

Skia
05-22-2012, 9:36am
Shouldn't you be spouting legaleze and confusing normal people with Lawyer speak at this time of day?? :skep:

Sea Six
05-22-2012, 9:42am
Shouldn't you be spouting legaleze and confusing normal people with Lawyer speak at this time of day?? :skep:

Larry's got his priorities straight.

Sounds like yours could use a little tweaking, 'en-er-rey. Bacon always trumps everything else. :hurray:

mrvette
05-22-2012, 9:43am
Boil 1/2" of water outta the pan going to take 20 minits or so.....

cook the freeking bacon already, the whole damn slab in that time....

:seasix:

Sea Six
05-22-2012, 9:45am

Actually, when I cook bacon in the microwave it comes out more evenly cooked than the bacon shown in the video.

Put the slices on two paper towels on a microwave safe dish or plate, and cover with a single paper towel. Nuke 'em for 1:30 for one slice, and around 2:15 for two. Enjoy bacon-y goodness. Repeat.

:)

Mike Mercury
05-22-2012, 9:48am
some of my best bacon memories come from way back - at a family run restaurant in my area. They would use a bacon press (a weight) that would sit on top of the frying bacon, keeping it flat & cooking it even. They would store the bacon press on the heated grill - so it would heat up as well, This also helped cook the bacon from the top as well.

mmm-mmm

Skia
05-22-2012, 9:56am
Larry's got his priorities straight.

Sounds like yours could use a little tweaking, 'en-er-rey. Bacon always trumps everything else. :hurray:Well you are correct in the fact that Bacon trumps all. :slap:

Rob
05-22-2012, 9:57am
I cook bacon by the pound, there is no damn sense to cook 2-6 slices when you are cooking it IMO.

I throw the whole pound in a cast iron dutch oven and throw the lid on there, the bacon makes its own moisture as well as grease. After 15 min, pull the lid and let the moisture cook off leaving the remaining grease to fry the bacon in.

It is not the fastest method, but it is the easiest and tastiest IMO.

Also - don't forget to save the grease to mix in with other foods. If a recipe calls for butter, oil, or shortening...use a touch of bacon grease in there as well.

kingpin
05-22-2012, 10:07am
I cook bacon by the pound, there is no damn sense to cook 2-6 slices when you are cooking it IMO.

I throw the whole pound in a cast iron dutch oven and throw the lid on there, the bacon makes its own moisture as well as grease. After 15 min, pull the lid and let the moisture cook off leaving the remaining grease to fry the bacon in.

Also - don't forget to save the grease to mix in with other foods. If a recipe calls for butter, oil, or shortening...use a touch of bacon grease in there as well.

Finally. :seasix:

Putting the lid on to keep the moisture in is the quickest and tastiest way.
You just have to be careful when removing the lid because the water on the underside of the lid can cause a lot of hot oil spatter.

Rob
05-22-2012, 10:18am
Finally. :seasix:

Putting the lid on to keep the moisture in is the quickest and tastiest way.
You just have to be careful when removing the lid because the water on the underside of the lid can cause a lot of hot oil spatter.

Ironically....I have a pound of bacon on the stove right now while I get my prep work done for BRII. I have cakes in the oven and about to start work on the baked beans.

DJ_Critterus
05-22-2012, 10:23am
I'm no fan of crisp bacon and don't like it when the fat is cooked off.

Kevin_73
05-22-2012, 10:47am
Ironically....I have a pound of bacon on the stove right now while I get my prep work done for BRII. I have cakes in the oven and about to start work on the baked beans.

:drool:
I am ready to eat it too!

Montehall
05-22-2012, 10:59am
Use a waffle iron.
Cooks both side, and keeps it flat.
Then cook a waffle beforeyou clean it.

Bucwheat
05-22-2012, 11:29am
Great idea.

Rob
05-22-2012, 11:30am
Use a waffle iron.
Cooks both side, and keeps it flat.
Then cook a waffle beforeyou clean it.

I do eggs in a waffle iron :seasix:

Adds dimples for the salsa and cheese :dance:

BADRACR1
05-22-2012, 4:26pm

vtelvr
05-22-2012, 4:33pm
some of my best bacon memories come from way back - at a family run restaurant in my area. They would use a bacon press (a weight) that would sit on top of the frying bacon, keeping it flat & cooking it even. They would store the bacon press on the heated grill - so it would heat up as well, This also helped cook the bacon from the top as well.

mmm-mmm

A bacon press it where its at. Evenly cooked, perfect for sandwiches or biscuits...Mmmm...bacon!

Rotorhead
05-22-2012, 5:21pm

:cool: Never thought of that.

Montehall
05-22-2012, 5:29pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Wilson1911/2011-03-06_11-07-38_80.jpg

Rob
05-22-2012, 5:32pm
:cool: Never thought of that.

I like to call what I do - "playing with my food" :seasix:

Vette40th
05-22-2012, 6:31pm
Never trust a skinny cook, except your wife...

Sea Six
05-23-2012, 4:29am
Lots of good ideas in this thread.

Olustee bus
05-23-2012, 5:23am
And now a word from Mr. Sunshine:

island14
05-23-2012, 5:53am

:iagree:

My Grandma use to use bacon, and bacon grease when she made her green beans.

She cooked off the water till it was almost a thin bacon gravy.

They were great! I always looked forward to them.

kingpin
05-23-2012, 7:47am
Here's an idea if you like sunny side up eggs but don't like the white too runny.
When the eggs are done to your liking take 1/2 teaspoon of cold water.
Drop the water in the hot pan and immediately cover with a lid for 10 seconds.
Remove lid and the whites will be firm not loose.

04 commemorative
05-23-2012, 8:07am

I guess without closing the top right?

Rob
05-23-2012, 8:27am
I guess without closing the top right?

No, I close the lid :seasix:

Sea Six
05-23-2012, 10:21am
Here's an idea if you like sunny side up eggs but don't like the white too runny.
When the eggs are done to your liking take 1/2 teaspoon of cold water.
Drop the water in the hot pan and immediately cover with a lid for 10 seconds.
Remove lid and the whites will be firm not loose.

Oh, cool!

NEVRL8T
05-23-2012, 11:23am

mmm-mmm

Um, that restaraunt is called "Waffle House".

Cybercowboy
08-03-2012, 10:50am

Last night a couple of friends came over and we made BLT's and I used your method to cook 1.5 lbs of bacon in a big cast iron dutch oven. The method worked great and I got zero greasy mess (other than the pan itself.) The bacon was perfect for sandwiches and for munching too.

Rob
08-03-2012, 11:01am
Last night a couple of friends came over and we made BLT's and I used your method to cook 1.5 lbs of bacon in a big cast iron dutch oven. The method worked great and I got zero greasy mess (other than the pan itself.) The bacon was perfect for sandwiches and for munching too.

We did BLAT's - Bacon, lettuce, avacado, and tomato sammy's last night as well, I cooked up 2.5# of bacon for the two of us and then fed the remaining pound or so to the dogs after dinner. :seasix:

Cybercowboy
08-03-2012, 11:13am
We did BLAT's - Bacon, lettuce, avacado, and tomato sammy's last night as well, I cooked up 2.5# of bacon for the two of us and then fed the remaining pound or so to the dogs after dinner. :seasix:

Yeah, I didn't make very much bacon because I knew one small sandwich would be enough for me and my wife as we had a pretty good sized lunch a few hours before. My wife was skeptical when I told her I'd take care of cooking the bacon, and she's still not totally convinced but I am. The best part about it is you don't have to mess with it much at all.

Rob
08-03-2012, 11:20am
Yeah, I didn't make very much bacon because I knew one small sandwich would be enough for me and my wife as we had a pretty good sized lunch a few hours before. My wife was skeptical when I told her I'd take care of cooking the bacon, and she's still not totally convinced but I am. The best part about it is you don't have to mess with it much at all.

The Ronco cooking method to bacon.

simpleman68
08-03-2012, 11:34am
We did BLAT's - Bacon, lettuce, avacado, and tomato sammy's last night as well....

:yum: Danielle and I eat about 4 avocados a week in the Summers.
We were thinking about putting them on our Bacon Cheeseburgers a few day ago.
Scott

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/simpleman68/a282b0ef.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/simpleman68/c9898a18.jpg

8Up
08-03-2012, 12:23pm
Bad bacon is like bad sex. Even when its bad, its still pretty good.

MrPeabody
08-03-2012, 2:36pm
I've never done it since, but once when the power was out at the house, we hung bacon over the end of coat hangar wire and cooked it in the fireplace. It came out great.

NeedSpeed
08-03-2012, 3:20pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/sw_coder/bacon-1.jpg

Torqaholic
08-04-2012, 5:33am
Gramps kept a slab of cured bacon in the fridge and used to carve off a chunk to eat raw every day. Tried it a few times, very flavorful, not smoked or salty tasting.