PDA

View Full Version : Not gonna make it to Barn Raising 2

Kevin_73
05-21-2012, 5:41pm
No mouseover for you!
[After working all afternoon yesterday to get the new soft top installed on my 73 vette (Thanks for the help Mark) I thought it was pretty much all ready for the trip to Bowling Green. Just needed to get two tires installed today and change the oil and it would be all ready for the 12 hour drive.
Got up early this morning and was happily able to locate the tires locally. I had a 4:00 appointment to get them installed. All seemed to be going well.
Then about 1:00 I find out that I need to go out to a customer's location and troubleshoot a router that is misbehaving. Since I was in the vette and since I had the appointment for tires I was not really very happy about that, but I went anyway. As I turned into the parking place at the customer's location I hear a nasty scraping sound coming from the drivers side front wheel, followed by the unmistakeable sound of cracking and breaking fiberglass. :willy:
After parking I look under the car and see that the driver's side lower A-arm mount has torn away from the crossmember allowing the front tire to swing forward and rub the fender to the point of breaking the lower part of the wheel well out. :banghead:
Not only is my car not going to going to Bowling Green in two days, it is not even going to make it home under it's own power. :cry:
After dealing with the customer's problem for almost 2 hours (whole other fiasco) I called Liz and she took care of getting a tow truck for me. The car is home in the garage now, but it is not driving anywhere anytime soon. :sad:
As long as Liz's C6 doesn't break I (we) will still be at Barn Raising 2 though. :cert: ]

NEED-A-VETTE
05-21-2012, 5:45pm
Thank God. You have a 50 ounce steak to eat. :leaving:

Medium well. ;)

Sorry about the car, though. :(

C5Nate
05-21-2012, 5:46pm
Ouch, sorry to hear.

Just be glad it didnt happen 100+ miles into the trip.

DAB
05-21-2012, 5:49pm
ouch.

that doesn't sound like a part that should break that often. :sadangel::sadangel:

be a good navigator, and fix it up when you return.

Kevin_73
05-21-2012, 5:59pm
Ouch, sorry to hear.

:iagree:
First thing I thought of too. Would have really sucked if it had happened at 70mph on a remote stretch of Arkansas highway. :willy:

99 pewtercoupe
05-21-2012, 6:01pm
First thing I thought of too. Would have really sucked if it had happened at 70mph on a remote stretch of Arkansas highway. :willy:

Nothing good ever happens on remote stretch of Arkansas highway!

simpleman68
05-21-2012, 6:02pm
Sorry about the damage. :cry: especially after all the work and preparation before the trip.
Scott

beadist
05-21-2012, 6:12pm
:( So sorry Kevin.

The_Dude
05-21-2012, 6:18pm
Was it the same frame break this guy had?
HELP! Broken chassis, how do I fix this? - Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/3007964-help-broken-chassis-how-do-i-fix-this.html)

SnikPlosskin
05-21-2012, 6:26pm
Wow! That sucks.

Jeff '79
05-21-2012, 6:29pm
Oh God ! I even got a sinking feeling reading that post....Ouch !....Better there than on a trip though.....:sadangel:

Firevette
05-21-2012, 6:35pm
Well that blows. :(

Guess I wont be missing another chance to check out the '73 afterall..:leaving:

C5Nate
05-21-2012, 6:37pm

Nothing good ever happens on remote stretch of Arkansas highway!

Why?

I'm sure there are plenty of capable mechanics along the way.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1tqxzWdKKu8/0.jpg

Stangkiller
05-21-2012, 6:57pm
Aww that sucks!

Kevin_73
05-21-2012, 6:58pm
Was it the same frame break this guy had?
HELP! Broken chassis, how do I fix this? - Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/3007964-help-broken-chassis-how-do-i-fix-this.html)

:yesnod:
Only mine is a little worse. Bottom plate of the cross member is torn/cracked more, and the A-arm is bent further forward. The tire rubbed the lower front part of the wheel well so hard that it cracked it loose in several places. If it had happened at speed I probably would have had the front tire/spindle come through the floorboard into my lap. :willy:

I'll take pics after I've had a beer or three. :datawiz:

The_Dude
05-21-2012, 7:09pm
I'm sorry to hear. It sounds like an expensive repair if the tire rubs up against the body.

wwomanC6
05-21-2012, 7:17pm
:sadangel: on the 73! :sadangel:

:hurray:Glad your still coming with Liz!

Y'all be careful and safe driving out there!

Issues
05-21-2012, 7:26pm
Well that sucks big donkey dink .
Like others have said good thing it happens local ( parking lot to boot instead on the hwy )rather than on the trip or once you rolled into BG hotel parking lot .

oyealiz
05-21-2012, 7:32pm
Like others have said good thing it happens local ( parking lot to boot instead on the hwy )rather than on the trip or once you rolled into BG hotel parking lot .

Yeah, glad Loco Vette didn't end up flatbedding the 73 into the Hampton lot. :willy:

I think Hooters is good to go, but for some reason it seems Kevin has lost his desire to c3 it to Kentucky.

:leaving:

MrPeabody
05-21-2012, 7:40pm

Actually, I hear if it happens in the motel parking lot, I hear you can take up a collection and get help fixing it.:leaving:

VITE1
05-21-2012, 7:45pm
Wow! That sucks.

:iagree::sadangel:

Issues
05-21-2012, 7:45pm
Actually, I hear if it happens in the motel parking lot, I hear you can take up a collection and get help fixing it.:leaving:

Yea, I think i heard about that not to long ago :rofl:

l88rocket
05-21-2012, 7:47pm
Sounds like time for a chassis upgrade.

HeatherO
05-21-2012, 7:48pm
ugh!! :sadangel:

Bingo Fuel
05-21-2012, 7:49pm
Sorry about the vette Kevin. Glad you're still gonna make it.
Had that happen in a friends El Camino years ago on the freeway at 60+ mph.
You slide/skid a looooonnnngg way.

Not any longer.
Now they'll just light it on fire at the close of the festivities, ala Burning Man. :D

73sbVert
05-21-2012, 9:00pm
SONOFABITCH!!! :cry:

Damn! Was really hoping to see her this trip out on the road!!

Sorry Kevin, hope you get her back together soon!

Allan
05-21-2012, 9:09pm
No mouseover for you!
[After working all afternoon yesterday to get the new soft top installed on my 73 vette (Thanks for the help Mark) I thought it was pretty much all ready for the trip to Bowling Green. Just needed to get two tires installed today and change the oil and it would be all ready for the 12 hour drive.
Got up early this morning and was happily able to locate the tires locally. I had a 4:00 appointment to get them installed. All seemed to be going well.
Then about 1:00 I find out that I need to go out to a customer's location and troubleshoot a router that is misbehaving. Since I was in the vette and since I had the appointment for tires I was not really very happy about that, but I went anyway. As I turned into the parking place at the customer's location I hear a nasty scraping sound coming from the drivers side front wheel, followed by the unmistakeable sound of cracking and breaking fiberglass. :willy:
After parking I look under the car and see that the driver's side lower A-arm mount has torn away from the crossmember allowing the front tire to swing forward and rub the fender to the point of breaking the lower part of the wheel well out. :banghead:
Not only is my car not going to going to Bowling Green in two days, it is not even going to make it home under it's own power. :cry:
After dealing with the customer's problem for almost 2 hours (whole other fiasco) I called Liz and she took care of getting a tow truck for me. The car is home in the garage now, but it is not driving anywhere anytime soon. :sad:
As long as Liz's C6 doesn't break I (we) will still be at Barn Raising 2 though. :cert: ]

Damn, you Texans really do do things in a big way, regardless of what it is. :D

NikiQ
05-21-2012, 9:47pm
:sadangel: That's awful, but glad you weren't traveling when it happened.

snide
05-21-2012, 9:52pm
Damn, that sucks. :(

On the down side, you're gonna have to listen to Liz talk non-stop for 12 hours straight. Twice. :leaving:

73sbVert
05-21-2012, 10:09pm

On the down side, you're gonna have to listen to Liz talk non-stop for 12 hours straight. Twice. :leaving:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh damn!

Bingo Fuel
05-21-2012, 10:12pm

:rofl: :lol:

edit: I mean :slap:

jda67gta
05-21-2012, 10:28pm
I don't feel so bad about not replacing the wheel bearings in the 71...

Glad it happened close to home and you caught it quick. :yesnod:

mrvette
05-21-2012, 10:42pm
That SUX, but yawl have a good time, best of luck/travels to everyone....

:seasix::hurray:

kylebuck
05-21-2012, 10:52pm
1992 Corvette....Black ....6 speed (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3012412833.html)

:leaving:

Kevin_73
05-21-2012, 11:08pm

Aren't you just a ray of freaking sunshine! :kick:

:lol:

oyealiz
05-21-2012, 11:15pm

:kick:

87 Ragtop
05-22-2012, 12:45am
Ouch, sorry to hear.

Like a couple others also said. If it had to happen, better now than 12 hours away from home. Hope you guys have a safe trip!! :seasix:

onedef92
05-22-2012, 7:15am
Sucks about the car. Glad you're still going to make VB II, though.

onedef92
05-22-2012, 7:17am
Yea, I think i heard about that not to long ago :rofl:

The first CI we attended many moons ago, the gang fixed the leaking intake on my LT-1 in the parking lot of the Baymont. :)

Theresa was pregnant with Julian, Jr. at the time, too.

Kevin_73
05-22-2012, 7:27am
Utah quality Iphone pictures of the damage:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/KWHITLOW/Corvettes/IMG_0067.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/KWHITLOW/Corvettes/IMG_0069.jpg

:cry:

bradc6
05-22-2012, 7:32am
Ouch. :banghead:

I've driven my 70 on several long trips and it's not very comfortable. Of course, you have to stop for gas more often so you get to stretch frequently.

Burnt C6
05-22-2012, 7:34am
Kevin that sucks big time.

Bucwheat
05-22-2012, 7:38am
Well now you two can share some quality time together on the trip.