PDA

View Full Version : You're not going to believe this one...

Shrike6
05-19-2012, 7:47pm
We were at the Saturday cruise in today, sitting and chatting with a couple of our Corvette club friends. Surrounded by hundreds of rare and interesting cars. This young guy comes up, and, admiring our 2011 Grand Sport, asks what is needed to join the local Corvette club. He then goes on to explain that he doesn't exactly have a Corvette, but drives a Nissan Leaf ( that's right- the little electric POS). He says he is in a couple of electric car clubs, but feels there may be interest in his electric car.
My wife and friends couldn't speak and could barely keep from laughing out loud. I rose to the challenge and very carefully explained that people who drive cars like ours have nothing in common with people who drive electric cars like his. I managed to keep from mocking him and his wheeled toaster, even though it was a strain.
God, I wanted to give him a fatal dose of reality, but I just couldn't bring myself to have his blood on my hands.
Was I wrong?

DAB
05-19-2012, 7:52pm
I spent all nite charging that thing for nothing?

There will be a number of peeps at BR II sans vette. Me included.

As far as VB goes, it's about the people, not what car/truck you currently drive.

lspencer534
05-19-2012, 7:58pm
I spent all nite charging that thing for nothing?

As far as VB goes, it's about the people, not what car/truck you currently drive.

WTF? Whatever happened to baller status? And laughing at peeps who drive a Mustang? As the folks at the Jaguar forum told me, "...perhaps you'd be happier at another forum."

kingpin
05-19-2012, 8:03pm
If the kid came off as being genuine then yes you were wrong.
If he came off as being superior because his car is environmentally friendly and had a chip on his shoulder then you were okay.

kingpin
05-19-2012, 8:04pm
WTF? Whatever happened to baller status? And laughing at peeps who drive a Mustang? As the folks at the Jaguar forum told me, "...perhaps you'd be happier at another forum."

Is that how we got stuck with you?

LisaJohn
05-19-2012, 8:05pm
So you told the jag folks you played with Barbies?

lspencer534
05-19-2012, 8:06pm
If he came off as being superior because his car is environmentally friendly and had a chip on his shoulder then you were okay.

Blah, blah, blah. He drove a feckin' Leaf, for cryin' out loud! Motives, demeanor, genuineness, etc. don't mean sheit after that. Uh...were you really sirius....?

BuckyThreadkiller
05-19-2012, 8:08pm
Tell him your next club meeting is a 75 mile drive.

lspencer534
05-19-2012, 8:11pm

Actually I posted a gif of Jessica Alba swimming. They're veddy, veddy proper over there.

"Do you play tennis?"
"No, tried it once, didn't like it."
"Do you play polo?"
"Do you have children?"
"A daughter."
"Your only child, I presume?".

ZipZap
05-19-2012, 8:15pm
Was I wrong?

Absolutely not! This is the expected and proper response from a car club member:seasix:

kingpin
05-19-2012, 8:16pm
Blah, blah, blah. He drove a feckin' Leaf, for cryin' out loud! Motives, demeanor, genuineness, etc. don't mean sheit after that. Uh...were you really sirius....?

Yes!

Shrike6
05-19-2012, 8:28pm

Dam, I wish you had been there.:lol:

73sbVert
05-19-2012, 8:32pm
Actually I posted a gif of Jessica Alba swimming. They're veddy, veddy proper over there.

:slap:

Umm, you know what to do!

:D

lspencer534
05-19-2012, 8:40pm
:slap:

Umm, you know what to do!

:D

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/lspencer534/jessica_alba_sexy_03.gif

And a couple of bonuses:

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/lspencer534/jessica_alba_gifs_08.gif

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/lspencer534/jessica-alba-hot.gif

ZipZap
05-19-2012, 8:41pm
Thread save FTW!

73sbVert
05-19-2012, 8:48pm
Thread save FTW!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

LilRedCorvette
05-19-2012, 9:29pm
Our Corvette Club has a 'non-owner/enthusiast' membership option for those who don't actually own a Corvette...but it still begs the question, "Why?"

Yamma
05-19-2012, 9:35pm
i like beer.

kylebuck
05-19-2012, 9:59pm
i like beer.

Beer is good.

BADRACR1
05-19-2012, 10:40pm

:rofl::rofl:

island14
05-19-2012, 11:11pm

:rofl:

island14
05-19-2012, 11:20pm

:iagree:

On both of the above statements...

I don't even own a car anymore, is it OK if I hang out here with you guys? :island14:

:lol:

magnetized
05-20-2012, 11:28pm
Damn

theanswriz42
05-20-2012, 11:45pm
So basically you acted like the stereotypical Corvette asshole, good job...:rolleyes:

Milton Fox
05-20-2012, 11:51pm
the password is...Telsa...

stingraymyway
05-21-2012, 12:03am
Our Corvette Club has a 'non-owner/enthusiast' membership option for those who don't actually own a Corvette...but it still begs the question, "Why?"

They own one type of car but want the Vette. :groupwave:

JMS32935
05-21-2012, 12:10am
Anybody want to talk about my Hybrid ??... http://jms32935.com/tmp/smilies/leaving-r.gif

onedef92
05-21-2012, 8:11am

This. I'm not bringing my Vette this year, either. I know I'll see some cool rides, but it's my peeps I wanna see most.

NeedSpeed
05-21-2012, 8:21am
Is that how we got stuck with you?

Jessie told me to start my own forum so . . . :leaving:

Fastguy
05-21-2012, 10:35am
A lot of clubs have actual bylaws and will state that Corvette ownership is required to be a member, which is pretty much all you needed to say.
The rest of it comes across as elitist.
He was probably just trolling you to see what you would say. I wouldn't be surprised if you are on youtube.

onedef92
05-21-2012, 10:43am
A lot of clubs have actual bylaws and will state that Corvette ownership is required to be a member, which is pretty much all you needed to say.

He was probably just trolling you to see what you would say. I wouldn't be surprised if you are on youtube.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/onedef92/Right-This-Minute.jpg

Or Right This Minute and shit...

oyealiz
05-21-2012, 10:52am

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Blue Demon
05-21-2012, 11:08am

Our club does too and we have members with a CTS-V, Mercedes Benz, and one even had a Mustang.

The_Dude
05-21-2012, 11:18am
:rofl:

DJ_Critterus
05-21-2012, 12:43pm

"Do you play tennis?"
"Do you play polo?"
"Do you have children?"
"A daughter."
"Your only child, I presume?".

That's too f*cking funny right there. :funniest:

Vadered.

MrPeabody
05-21-2012, 3:09pm
The Corvette club I belonged to (and was president of) requires ownership of a Corvette. There were a few members that owned Corvettes in various stages of construction, so you never saw their cars. Since I sold mine I am no longer a member, but I still keepin touch and am welcome at any of their gatherings. I miss the people more than the car.

Next weekend is their big annual event, a car show, poker run and dinner at a country club. There will be cars from all over Northern California here and I look forward to seeing everyone again.

40 years ago I belonged to a Mopar club although I didn't own a Mopar. I joined because I liked the people and the club runs they did. I was an associate member and could not hold office and IIRC paid slightly less dues.

lspencer534
05-21-2012, 3:20pm

Did not know that. All car clubs I've ever belonged to welcomed owners and enthusiasts. I've never belonged to a local Corvette Club, though. I'm the asshole who goes to their car shows driving my 67 Vette.

Bill
05-21-2012, 3:30pm
Did not know that. All car clubs I've ever belonged to welcomed owners and enthusiasts. I've never belonged to a local Corvette Club, though. I'm the asshole who goes to their car shows driving my 67 Vette.

So, wait.....I have to own a Vette AND be enthusiastic about it? Um, I've got a c-5.....how enthusiastic can one be about that, really?

:dance:

The_Dude
05-21-2012, 3:34pm
So, they won't let me in with a C4. :(

lspencer534
05-21-2012, 3:36pm
So, wait.....I have to own a Vette AND be enthusiastic about it? Um, I've got a c-5.....how enthusiastic can one be about that, really?

No, no. For owners and enthusiasts. They can be mutually exclusive. :rofl:

Fastguy
05-21-2012, 3:44pm
The Corvette club I belonged to (and was president of) requires ownership of a Corvette. There were a few members that owned Corvettes in various stages of construction, so you never saw their cars. Since I sold mine I am no longer a member, but I still keepin touch and am welcome at any of their gatherings. I miss the people more than the car.

Next weekend is their big annual event, a car show, poker run and dinner at a country club. There will be cars from all over Northern California here and I look forward to seeing everyone again.

40 years ago I belonged to a Mopar club although I didn't own a Mopar. I joined because I liked the people and the club runs they did. I was an associate member and could not hold office and IIRC paid slightly less dues.

The club I belong to actually has a charter, its the oldest club in MA. It does state you need to own a Corvette but it isn't really enforced, especially when people are between cars. I joined in 98 when I had my white C3 under construction and it never made an appearance. I drove my turbo thunderbird or my Trans Am at all the events. I turned my C5 into a track only car and haven't attended a meeting or non-track event in it in years. I drive the Miata most of the time. We have a few other members who either have restoration projects or rare cars that they only take out now and then so its not unusual at a meeting to have 25 people and five corvettes.

Bucwheat
05-21-2012, 3:50pm
Many times when our club is at a show or resturant and we are gathered together, young folks will come and ask questions,we expect that and regardless of what they are driving we attempt to answer their questions,please don't dis them, we were young once and they may own a Vette one day.Don't give Corvette owners a bad name.

MrPeabody
05-21-2012, 3:57pm

Hey, if the C4 people can do it, so can you.:lol:

LilRedCorvette
05-21-2012, 8:00pm

The club I belong to actually has a charter, its the oldest club in MA. It does state you need to own a Corvette but it isn't really enforced, especially when people are between cars. I joined in 98 when I had my white C3 under construction and it never made an appearance. I drove my turbo thunderbird or my Trans Am at all the events. I turned my C5 into a track only car and haven't attended a meeting or non-track event in it in years. I drive the Miata most of the time. We have a few other members who either have restoration projects or rare cars that they only take out now and then so its not unusual at a meeting to have 25 people and five corvettes.

Our club (founded in 1969) up until this year required ownership of a Corvette to belong (it didn't even have to run, just had to own it). We just revised our bylaws a few months ago and created an affiliate membership for non-owner enthusiasts at a reduced rate (but can't hold officer positions or vote).

Incidentally, Shrike6 is a member of our club but probably was not aware of the recent bylaw change...

C5Nate
05-21-2012, 8:32pm
Our club (founded in 1969) up until this year required ownership of a Corvette to belong (it didn't even have to run, just had to own it). We just revised our bylaws a few months ago and created an affiliate membership for non-owner enthusiasts at a reduced rate (but can't hold officer positions or vote).

Incidentally, Shrike6 is a member of our club but probably was not aware of the recent bylaw change...

Similiar to ours but a bit looser.

Article 2

Section 1 Members

Membership in the Club shall be restricted to owners of Corvette cars or prospective owners of Corvettes and family members who support the purpose of the Club.

Prospective owners pretty much opens it up for anyone with interest in Corvettes.

We've had members who have be vett'less or in between vettes who stayed members for years.

We have one of the largest Corvette clubs in the country with 400+ members here in KC and its one of 4 different clubs in the area.

I was President during the growing years of 2003-2004 & 2006.

Our club motto: We come for the cars, but stay for the friends.

LilRedCorvette
05-21-2012, 9:02pm
Similiar to ours but a bit looser.

Prospective owners pretty much opens it up for anyone with interest in Corvettes.

We've had members who have be vett'less or in between vettes who stayed members for years.

We have one of the largest Corvette clubs in the country with 400+ members here in KC and its one of 4 different clubs in the area.

I was President during the growing years of 2003-2004 & 2006.

Our club motto: We come for the cars, but stay for the friends.

Actually, I'd say our eligibility requirements are looser. You don't have to be an owner, or even a prospective owner, to be an enthusiast and therefore member of our club:

Eligibility
To become an associate member of the NVCC, an individual must:
• Be a Corvette enthusiast, showing interest in NVCC events.

That's it. No Corvette ownership, or even prospective Corvette ownership required.

99 pewtercoupe
05-21-2012, 9:33pm
Dont belong to any Corvette clubs other than VB. Went to a couple of meetings of the "local" club and was bored to death.

mike100
05-21-2012, 11:44pm
... I rose to the challenge and very carefully explained that people who drive cars like ours have nothing in common with people who drive electric cars like his....
Was I wrong?

At first I was going to suggest maybe you should have been even more diplomatic, but then I remembered my attempt at owning a 40 mpg VW...I recently got rid of that sucka because I couldn't stand the low hp.

You are right- those kind of cars, while interesting on paper, really don't appeal to most of us. I gave it a go...it sucked.