PDA

View Full Version : 93 C4 rear clunk noise over bumps?

Vette40th
04-26-2012, 3:25pm
My 93 is making a clunk at slow speeds over bumps. The rear has new hubs, leaf srpings, spring eye bushings, shocks are qa1's about 3 years old. What else can clunk back there, before I get into it this evening.

kendawg
06-12-2012, 9:00am
I also have a "clunk". I think mine is the rear hatch. I do know the weather stripping needs replaced.

mike100
06-16-2012, 6:03pm
Besides all of the bushing and tie rod links- you can have some diff side bearing play on the driver side, but I don't think that usually makes much noise.

I'd look at the shocks again. could have loosened up at the top.

Vette40th
06-16-2012, 6:18pm
I retorqued shocks, wheel bearing spine nut, dog bones etc. I even verfied spare tire carrier was tight. I may be getting old, but it sounds like a tire when you take it off and it slams to the ground on the flat side/tread. Noises are hard to describe.the supension is all pretty new.very few miles, due to Hawaii and deployments...

Aboatguy
06-21-2012, 4:22pm
Exhuast ??? Are the nuts on the muffler hanger at the rear loose?

Vette40th
06-21-2012, 4:29pm
Exhuast ??? Are the nuts on the muffler hanger at the rear loose?
Wil recheck. It is new to the car. Thanks

Aboatguy
06-29-2012, 9:34pm
Find the culprit yet?

Vette40th
06-29-2012, 9:39pm
Find the culprit yet?
Nope. exhaust is tight. I think it is the half shaft. I remember when I did the u joint that it had a slight noise to it I could make when it was off the car. From what I know it is a cardboard type material in there, for noise suppression. I have no idea what is in there, but it was loose. Now with the weight of the car, it magnifies it. Thoughts?

Vette40th
08-18-2012, 10:16pm
Update. Found the problem. I have QA1 adjustable shocks with ZO7 springs. I had the rear shocks set on very soft, 2 clicks. Apparently it doesn't work with the spring. When I bumped it up to 5 clicks, noise went away.. So, a 5 is matched somewhat with the year spring. Too low, and it doesn't work and do its job of dampening..