PDA

View Full Version : F*ck Uhaul and them rental places

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 1:05pm
The price to rent an auto-haul trailer for two days so I can two my T-bucket to FL is damn near $600.00 :willy: Then it'd be another $600 to tow it back. Plus, Uhaul won't let me tow with my SportTrac (It's all I have). I'm not even going to say what the price is to do a round trip with the same trailer.

WTF, man? Every other place is about the same. Anybody in Central TX got a trailer I can borrow for about two weeks? :D

The_Dude
04-18-2012, 1:08pm
Just do a local two day rental. I think it's around $50 per day.

...Whitepower...
04-18-2012, 1:09pm
How much is a truck rental. That's a small ride. Get it in the back of a truck and strap it down. This way its just a one way rental of a truck. :D

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 1:10pm
Just do a local two day rental. I think it's around $50 per day.

FL is not local to TX

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 1:11pm
How much is a truck rental. That's a small ride. Get it in the back of a truck and strap it down. This way its just a one way rental of a truck. :D

Not much better and it would kill me in gas.

...Whitepower...
04-18-2012, 1:12pm
uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves (http://www.uship.com/)

Let the shippers fight over your business.

The_Dude
04-18-2012, 1:13pm
FL is not local to TX

I realize that, but since you're not going one way, you can do a local rental and return it to the same place you borrowed it. I've done this and the U-Haul employee even recommended it.

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 1:26pm
I realize that, but since you're not going one way, you can do a local rental and return it to the same place you borrowed it. I've done this and the U-Haul employee even recommended it.

I see. Hmm.... price isn't much better and I think I'd get nailed for insurance or something like that should the worst happen.

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 1:27pm
Should have it shipped by pros.

Thought you were a ballah. :(

Not that much ballah.

GRN ENVY
04-18-2012, 1:33pm
Penske and Budget, both rent out trailers give them a try

Stangkiller
04-18-2012, 1:35pm
The price to rent an auto-haul trailer for two days so I can two my T-bucket to FL is damn near $600.00 :willy: Then it'd be another $600 to tow it back. Plus, Uhaul won't let me tow with my SportTrac (It's all I have). I'm not even going to say what the price is to do a round trip with the same trailer.

WTF, man? Every other place is about the same. Anybody in Central TX got a trailer I can borrow for about two weeks? :D

Umm, round trip for the trailer should be a lot cheaper than 1 way?? like 99 a day or something with unlimited miles. Ur only issue is finding a tow vehicle they'll allow.

The_Dude
04-18-2012, 1:41pm
I see. Hmm.... price isn't much better and I think I'd get nailed for insurance or something like that should the worst happen.

It's your own insurance that covers you, so that isn't an issue. How many days are you going to need it?

RedLS1GTO
04-18-2012, 1:45pm
I had the same issue. I actually went on craigslist, bought a rusty old trailer that day, and still spent less.

The trailer cleaned up pretty well too! :D

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p90/botch1980/IMG_0444.jpg

The prices from the rental places are absolutely asinine.

The_Dude
04-18-2012, 1:48pm
Yeah, I see a lot of decent car trailers in the $1500 range. You could sell it and recoup your money when your finished with it.

Bucwheat
04-18-2012, 2:05pm
I have seen new trailers from $1900 -$2400, and used go for around $1200-$1500

kylebuck
04-18-2012, 2:13pm

:iagree::iagree: Done that a couple of times.

snide
04-18-2012, 2:24pm
Just drive it there and back.

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 2:32pm
Just drive it there and back.

I'll get right on that.

...Whitepower...
04-18-2012, 2:40pm
I had the same issue. I actually went on craigslist, bought a rusty old trailer that day, and still spent less.

:iagree:

Friend of mine moved from NY to Florida. Around the same time his sister was moving Chicago if i recall correctly. They bought a box truck off craigslist that needed about $500 in work and once it was good to go they both moved inside of about of a month of each other. He then picked it up in Chicago drove it to Florida and parked at his place. He sold it a few weeks later for $1k more than he had into it and thats including the $500 he put into it for two tires, brakes, and the other shit he did.

Buy a trailer for the trip and then sell it after the fact. Its the way to go in this instance.

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 3:02pm
I'm looking at CL now. Think I've seen some decent stuff and I may be able to use it later with the Shriners, too, if I keep it.

Stangkiller
04-18-2012, 3:06pm
I'm looking at CL now. Think I've seen some decent stuff and I may be able to use it later with the Shriners, too, if I keep it.
I wish I had something I could loan you, sorry man!

God, I want a car trailer bad...but since I have no $$ right now, or a place to store it..haha

...Whitepower...
04-18-2012, 3:12pm

God, I want a car trailer bad...but since I have no $$ right now, or a place to store it..haha

Drive it home next month... 2002 Tennessee Car Hauler (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/2955743697.html)

ptindall
04-18-2012, 3:15pm

Yeah, I see a lot of decent car trailers in the $1500 range. You could sell it and recoup your money when your finished with it.

:iagree: Dude's all over this one. If you have a place to park a trailer it's nice to have one around. I put a cheap ATV wench on mine I bought from harbor freight for a couple hundred bucks. Pulls on and off very easily and makes it even easier.

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 3:19pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat here.

Stangkiller
04-18-2012, 3:20pm
Drive it home next month... 2002 Tennessee Car Hauler (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/2955743697.html)

This is more what i'm lusting after:
28 ft Enclosed Race Car Trailer (http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2913819473.html)

I just bought my damn diesel truck, it'd be nice to use it. :yesnod:

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 3:22pm
Yeah... i have no intention of getting another vehicle. Wife was a little upset when I did three trades inside of three years.

Stangkiller
04-18-2012, 3:28pm
Yeah... i have no intention of getting another vehicle. Wife was a little upset when I did three trades inside of three years.

buy a small trailer, keep the car on that trailer until you fully trust the motor...i'm not sure how long your t-bucket is, but it might fit on a utility trailer that would fit in your garage.

mrvette
04-18-2012, 3:34pm
DJ, not copping your thread, but all the above suggestions are winners....do your homework and stop for a BEER damnit, man....

second off, just yesterday I talked to my son in Berzerkly Ca. and so he is going over the mountains to east Ca. to get a '57 chebby pickup with inline 6, it belonged to his g/f's grandfather.....so to rebuild it to a hobby truck, drop a V8 of some nature in it and so being ASSSSSS the mountains, I lit up with him about just ANY truck with a hitch....him thinking a buddy's pickup, and any trailer, not knowing shit about hitch tongue weight, vehicle weight, loading, and towing crapASSity for mountain roads we have nitemares about....us flatlander don't have to worry over THAT vertical shit....

methinks I alerted him to some problems....to be totally AWARE of all the fizz icks involved....

your proposed tow wagon above, I know nothing about, but figger 3k lbs for the load, another 1500 for the trailer, and then the weight of the tow truck, to know you are the winner on that end.....me paranoid from towing boat with my kids in the car.....got tons of advice years ago, you need do same....

but of ALL things, have FUN!!!@

and you can NOT do over 70 at most even on old boring I10 the trailer WILL hate your ass, if you get my drift.....

:seasix::sadangel:

Stangkiller
04-18-2012, 3:42pm
DJ, not copping your thread, but all the above suggestions are winners....do your homework and stop for a BEER damnit, man....

second off, just yesterday I talked to my son in Berzerkly Ca. and so he is going over the mountains to east Ca. to get a '57 chebby pickup with inline 6, it belonged to his g/f's grandfather.....so to rebuild it to a hobby truck, drop a V8 of some nature in it and so being ASSSSSS the mountains, I lit up with him about just ANY truck with a hitch....him thinking a buddy's pickup, and any trailer, not knowing shit about hitch tongue weight, vehicle weight, loading, and towing crapASSity for mountain roads we have nitemares about....us flatlander don't have to worry over THAT vertical shit....

methinks I alerted him to some problems....to be totally AWARE of all the fizz icks involved....

your proposed tow wagon above, I know nothing about, but figger 3k lbs for the load, another 1500 for the trailer, and then the weight of the tow truck, to know you are the winner on that end.....me paranoid from towing boat with my kids in the car.....got tons of advice years ago, you need do same....

and you can NOT do over 70 at most even on old boring I10 the trailer WILL hate your ass, if you get my drift.....

If DJ was trying to put a corvette or other real car on a trailer, I'd be jumping all over him for trying to tow with his Ford...but Considering how small the T-bucket is & how relatively flat I-10 is, I think he can get away with it in this case.

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 3:43pm

:cheers: I'm still looking but have time to wait, too. My sport trac has a CL-III hitch and towing package and has handled far heavier loads (full covered trailer, dual axles, and 6 ATVs in them). I know this thing could handle a small trailer with this light car on it as the combined weight is much less.

If not, I'll be out there near the end of May. Just got a message from work that I may have to be in Ft. Riley, KS next week, though.

MrPeabody
04-18-2012, 4:27pm
[mrvette] Pour gas all over the T-Bucket and set it on fire. [mrvette]

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 4:33pm
If DJ was trying to put a corvette or other real car on a trailer, I'd be jumping all over him for trying to tow with his Ford...but Considering how small the T-bucket is & how relatively flat I-10 is, I think he can get away with it in this case.

I've towed heavier with the SportTrac and that includes having Joebuck in it too (you drove our drunk asses around in it one night). The biggest obstacle I'd worry about is the bridge in Baton Rouge going over the Mississippi. But, on the pleasant side, Beadist lives in that area and she's awesome to hang out with.

mrvette
04-18-2012, 4:56pm
[mrvette] Pour gas all over the T-Bucket and set it on fire. [mrvette]

Yeh, right, azzhole.....

DJ, check in with RYDER rentals.....I used their truck to move south from DC, years ago, and did it with a U HAUL trailer with the vette on board....kinda against company regs, but I picked the trailer with the work truck so they not any wiser.....saved a ton of bux.....

:seasix::dance::lol:

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 5:24pm
Yeh, right, azzhole.....

DJ, check in with RYDER rentals.....I used their truck to move south from DC, years ago, and did it with a U HAUL trailer with the vette on board....kinda against company regs, but I picked the trailer with the work truck so they not any wiser.....saved a ton of bux.....

:seasix::dance::lol:

They're not much better. My neighbor has a trailer I can use, just need to see when she has it available and when I won't have work interfering (don't like to screw my compandres by taking off when we have stuff scheduled). And no pics.

Looks like I'm in KS next week, possibly in HI the week after or maybe doing some work here I've been trying to get coordinated for some time now. Plus, the job is more interesting when I'm on the road actually working on the equipment.

C5Nate
04-18-2012, 5:27pm
Then it'd be another $600 to tow it back. Plus, Uhaul won't let me tow with my SportTrac (It's all I have).

A SportTrac, yeah, U-Haul is just covering their azz knowing that it is not safe. Class 3 has a 5,000 lb limit.

You could always tell them you have a 2500 HD or SD.

On the trailer rental, rent one way. Deliver the bucket and leave the trailer at a local U-Haul. You dont want to haul back an empty trailer, they ride like crap empty.

DJ_Critterus
04-18-2012, 5:30pm
[QUOTE=DJ_Critterus;638185] Then it'd be another $600 to tow it back. Plus, Uhaul won't let me tow with my SportTrac (It's all I have). /QUOTE]

:rofl: A SportTrac, yeah, U-Haul is just covering their azz knowing that it is not safe. Class 3 has a 5,000 lb limit.

You could always tell them you have a 2500 HD or SD.

On the trailer rental, rent one way. Deliver the bucket and leave the trailer at a local U-Haul. You dont want to haul back an empty trailer, they ride like crap empty.

It'll handle up to 5K lbs for sure. I looked up prices with a few places for one way trip dropping off right after i got to town and it was +/- $600. Same price for the trip back for the trip back.

The idea about renting for local for the entire time was a little bit cheaper, but not enough to make it worth while.

I did want to go to FL to see family, friends, and my dogs (can't keep them here with me traveling all the time) but it may be cheaper to pay for gas for my parents to come out here with the motor at the end of may. Plus, my little bro could make the trip down from OKC and the entire family could be together in one spot for possibly the last time for many years to come.

mrvette
04-18-2012, 7:47pm
They're not much better. My neighbor has a trailer I can use, just need to see when she has it available and when I won't have work interfering (don't like to screw my compandres by taking off when we have stuff scheduled). And no pics.

Looks like I'm in KS next week, possibly in HI the week after or maybe doing some work here I've been trying to get coordinated for some time now. Plus, the job is more interesting when I'm on the road actually working on the equipment.

I dunno about the physical stuffs man, how can you explain another man's pains?? not possible....

but I would LOVE to have been in mechanical heaven, playing with the GOOD shit, years ago.....

:seasix::hurray::kimblair:

Mirroredshades
04-18-2012, 8:19pm

:withstupid:

This is exactly what I would do. Buy a trailer on Craigslist, use it for two weeks and then sell it again. If you clean it up a little, you might even make money on it.

:seasix:

JRD77VET
04-18-2012, 8:41pm
:withstupid:

This is exactly what I would do. Buy a trailer on Craigslist, use it for two weeks and then sell it again. If you clean it up a little, you might even make money on it.

:seasix:

:iagree: Very good craigslist search engine
SearchTempest - All of craigslist. One Search. (http://www.searchtempest.com/)

ft laud mike
04-18-2012, 9:50pm

Just buy something & sell it when you arrive...seems much cheaper than the prices the rentals are throwing at you
:cert:

DJ_Critterus
04-19-2012, 9:22am
Looks like the parental units are going to come here with the motor (and my dogs) for about a week. IT'll be cheaper on gas and I won't be stuck trying to sell a trailer I probably won't need again for a long time.

Thanks for advice, all.