PDA

View Full Version : Kids at play: 14 yr old leads police in two state chase

BADRACR1
04-17-2012, 5:11pm
I live less than a mile from where this chase ended!

Update: Two police cruisers wrecked in late-night chase

A chase from Whitfield County, Ga., to Hamilton County Monday night has landed one officer in the hospital, disabled two police cars and resulted in several shots fired on officers, East Ridge police spokesman Erik Hopkins said.

A suspect in custody has been identified as a 14 year old male.

Hopkins said the chase began at a gas station in Tunnel Hill, Ga. Shots were fired, though Hopkins said the exact circumstances are not clear.

The suspect fled the scene in a vehicle and authorities including Whitfield and Catoosa officers and Georgia State Patrol troopers joined in.

The driver fired on police while being pursued, Hopkins said.

He also rammed a Catoosa cruiser, disabling the car and sending the driver, a deputy, to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to Hopkins.

As the chase entered Tennessee and turned onto Interstate 24, East Ridge police joined in and laid out spike strips, ruining the tires on the driver’s car, but he continued on his rims undeterred.

A trooper tried to execute a maneuver to end the chase but crashed his own car instead, Hopkins said.

The driver of the pursued vehicle exited I-24 and got onto Belvoir Avenue as his car began to fail. He abandoned the vehicle near North Terrace Street and ran, but was apprehended in a yard a short time later, Hopkins said.

He said a “host of charges” would be filed when the various law enforcement departments involved sort out which can charge the man with each alleged crime.

The 14 year old is listed as a runaway from South Carolina. He was taken to the Children's Hospital for evaluation before being taken to the Hamilton County Juvenile Detention Center. He is charged with Aggravated Assault and Felony Evading.

Update: Two police cruisers wrecked in late-night chase | timesfreepress.com (http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/apr/16/suspect-leads-officers-across-state-line-fires-off/)

BADRACR1
04-17-2012, 5:11pm
EAST RIDGE, HAMILTON COUNTY -
(WRCB) - A suspect, in custody following a police chase that crossed state lines Monday evening has been identified as a 14-year-old male.

The chase began around 8:40 p.m. in Whitfield County, near Tunnel Hill, when police started to chase a robbery suspect. That chase went all the way up I-75 onto I-24.

While on I-75 shots were fired between police and the suspect, though it's not immediately clear how many shots were fired.

"Some rounds, some shots were exchanged. A pursuit ensued in which rounds, shots were being fired into Tennessee," said East Ridge Police spokesman Erik Hopkins.

"At the state line, East Ridge Police deployed spike strips and spiked the vehicle. Just a short time after that, spikes were deployed, GSP initiated a ‘pit' maneuver, near the I-24/I-75 split that was unsuccessful."

The chase then continued up 1-24, until the suspect got off the Germantown Road exit and turned onto Belvoir heading into East Ridge.

At some point the suspect bailed out of his car and was apprehended in a back yard after a short foot chase. A handgun was recovered by officers.

We also know during this chase the suspect intentionally hit a Catoosa County Sheriff's car. That deputy was taken to the hospital to be checked out for non life threatening injuries.

The commotion caused a bit of a panic for people living in the East Ridge neighborhood where the chase ended. Channel 3 spoke with one woman who saw it all.

"We saw a van go by that was smoking and all of the sudden there were several police cars lining the street and they had a car stopped and they all got out, had their guns drawn," said Amber Clemmer, who lives nearby.

"There were police here from Tunnel Hill, Catoosa County, Chattanooga and East Ridge. It was scary. I made sure my kids were safe and that we had the dogs in and we were ducking from the windows. It definitely gets your adrenaline going and your hairs raised."

East Ridge Police had shut down Belvoir Ave between South Terrace Road and Fountain Ave for several hours, but reopened it to traffic shortly before 11 p.m.

The 14-year-old is listed as a runaway from South Carolina. He was taken to Children's Hospital for evaluation before being taken to the Hamilton County Juvenile Detention Center. He is charged with Aggravated Assault and Felony Evading.

UPDATE 2 : 14-year-old leads police on 2 state chase - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports (http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/17466421/suspect-leads-officers-across-state-line-fires-at-deputies)

Craig
04-17-2012, 5:17pm
He'll be charged as a juvenile, receive a stern talking to, then turned over to the foster parent system, where he’ll ruin the lives of several families.

Loco Vette
04-17-2012, 11:02pm
He'll be charged as a juvenile, receive a stern talking to, then turned over to the foster parent system, where he’ll ruin the lives of several families.

And on his 18th birthday, start all over with a new list of stupid shiznit.

Stangkiller
04-17-2012, 11:10pm
Meh he's no barefoot bandit