PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Loser: Mirlande Wilson spared from suit as Mega Millions winner emerges

onedef92
04-17-2012, 11:34am
Mirlande Wilson spared from suit as Mega Millions winner emerges

Woman who claimed she may have won had been hit with suit by alleged collaborator

April 11, 2012 The Baltimore Sun

The air went out of Mirlande Wilson’s tale about a Mega Million’s jackpot ticket hidden at a Windsor Mill McDonald's Tuesday, when lottery officials announced that the actual winners have come forward – and produced the winning ticket.

The timing likely will save Wilson a court battle.

Wilson, a 37-year-old mother of seven, was sued Monday in Baltimore City Circuit Court by Mandisa Mazibuko of Germantown in an attempt to block Wilson from cashing. Mazibuko also sought $1 million in damages, plus interest and court costs.

The Sun spent $16.50 to get a copy of the civil lawsuit, which revealed details about the dispute that brewed at the McDonald’s at 8227 Liberty Road following the March 30 Mega Millions drawing. The documents say that 16 people, mostly McDonald’s workers, contributed to a lottery pool and that Wilson was trying to bilk the rest of them of their rightful winnings.

Mazibuko sought immediate action for fear that Wilson would “deplete” the money and “if given the opportunity, she will continue her efforts to deprive her co-winners of their rightful share in the proceeds,” according to the filing.

Mazibuko does not work at McDonald’s and allegedly participated in the pool through a friend.

“Wilson’s public appearances, media games, and evasive behavior have only become more confusing and unpredictable,” the suit says.

The suit says that participants of the pool each paid $5 and verbally agreed to split the winnings equally if any of their tickets hit the jackpot.

Michael Schatzow, an E. Pratt Street attorney who represented Mazibuko, said his client is withdrawing the request for the court to issue a temporary restraining order intended to stop Wilson from cashing the ticket.

So what’s Wilson’s explanation? Did she think she had the winning ticket? Was she playing a gag?

It’s unclear. Wilson did not return phone messages. Her lawyer, Edward Smith Jr., didn’t lend any clarity either. He supposed that her belief she had the winning ticket had been an error.

As for how the mistake may have happened, Smith said he wouldn’t disclose any more information, citing attorney-client privilege.

Chris Fowler
04-17-2012, 11:39am
cupid stunt...

Bill
04-17-2012, 11:40am
I'm betting that Mazibuko's attorney never sees a dime for the work he has done. On the other hand, I really don't feel sorry for the guy, either.

Norm
04-17-2012, 12:09pm
Greed, makes you do crazy things.

onedef92
04-17-2012, 12:10pm
"The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do." - Lou Manheim, Wall Street, 1987

Jobaka
04-17-2012, 12:12pm
Greed, makes you do crazy things.

So does being batshit crazy.

VatorMan
04-17-2012, 12:13pm
I'm betting that Mazibuko's attorney never sees a dime for the work he has done. On the other hand, I really don't feel sorry for the guy, either.

That's the best thing that came out of this. :yesnod:

DJ_Critterus
04-17-2012, 12:15pm

Still, he was hired for a job and performed work. I still believe nobody should work for free if they are providing a legitimate service (ah hell, let's throw hookers into that mix, too).