PDA

View Full Version : Garden

78SA
04-16-2012, 5:51pm
Strawberry plants have a lot of berries on them. :dance:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2yvnhwm.jpg

Corn is 4 rows on the left and the one row on the right is potatoes.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hnm2c3.jpg

lspencer534
04-16-2012, 6:01pm
Looks good! You have lots more strawberries on your plants than I do. Did you plant the same kind of corn as last year?

78SA
04-16-2012, 6:02pm
Yeah, it's NK199. :seasix:

The strawberries are Pocahontas. I was told you can't buy them anymore.

lspencer534
04-16-2012, 6:06pm
Yeah, it's NK199. :seasix:

The strawberries are Pocahontas. I was told you can't buy them anymore.

Never heard of Pocahontas strawberries. June bearers or ever-bearers?

78SA
04-16-2012, 6:38pm
Never heard of Pocahontas strawberries. June bearers or ever-bearers?

June. Although mine look like they will be May. :lol:

OhioGirl
04-16-2012, 7:17pm
WOW they look really healthy. :seasix:

Chuck A
04-16-2012, 7:18pm
MMMMMMM they look very tasty indeed

78SA
04-16-2012, 7:19pm
Wait till they turn red. :lol:

OddBall
04-16-2012, 7:20pm
Wait till they turn red. :lol:

:lol:

Garden looks great

78SA
04-16-2012, 7:23pm
Thanks! :D

lspencer534
04-16-2012, 7:40pm
June. Although mine look like they will be May. :lol:

I have blueberries that will be ready next weekend. Hooray for global warming!

78SA
04-17-2012, 3:17pm

Bucwheat
04-17-2012, 4:04pm
Sounds like no trips to the produce dept. in your grocery store for awhile.:seasix:

78SA
04-17-2012, 4:07pm
Sounds like no trips to the produce dept. in your grocery store for awhile.:seasix:

:seasix:

78SA
04-27-2012, 6:09pm
Tater plants are appearing! I have 4 so far. :D:dance:

http://i50.tinypic.com/290t1g5.jpg

Mrs. Colleen
04-27-2012, 6:39pm
http://i42.tinypic.com/2hnm2c3.jpg

DAMN!!!! And here I thought getting one berry a week off my plants was good. :rofl: And this is off of 6 plants. :rofl:

Although I will say, these are the same plants I started last year and I was able to keep them alive through the winter. :dance:

78SA
04-27-2012, 6:52pm
DAMN!!!! And here I thought getting one berry a week off my plants was good. :rofl: And this is off of 6 plants. :rofl:

Although I will say, these are the same plants I started last year and I was able to keep them alive through the winter. :dance:

I planted mine last year too. :seasix:

Took this today. :dance:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s320x320/480924_10150693911457513_642147512_9593521_1124156775_n.jpg

Torqaholic
04-27-2012, 7:11pm
I was doing a bit of weeding around mine today. Gonna ease into it :rofl:
Lots of flowers, no fruit yet that I noticed.

Trying to get my seeds started tonight for the rest of the garden. I'll be growing on the enclosed porch for a month before it's nice enough to transplant into the garden. Hoping the kid comes home so I can ask him where he hid my trowels :slap: Can't find them. Looks like I might end up mixing a bucket of dirt with a damn tablespoon.

carlton_fritz
04-27-2012, 7:19pm

Trying to get my seeds started tonight for the rest of the garden. I'll be growing on the enclosed porch for a month before it's nice enough to transplant into the garden. Hoping the kid comes home so I can ask him where he hid my trowels :slap: Can't find them. Looks like I might end up mixing a bucket of dirt with a damn tablespoon.
Our winter was so mild that everything is growing early.

JRD77VET
04-27-2012, 7:36pm

We have a freeze warning for tonight here in PA. The potted herbs on the porch get tucked in with a blanket :seasix:

March was warmer :toetap:

78SA
04-27-2012, 7:37pm

:rofl:

Torqaholic
04-27-2012, 8:38pm
Our winter was so mild that everything is growing early.

I'm in no rush. Will get down to 29 degrees here before the Sun comes up tomorrow. Besides, planting early means harvesting earlier in many cases and I'd have to alter my vacation plans to do that because I co-ordinate my time off to do canning and freezing.

Earlier harvest would make for a longer over-Winter too. I'm just now using up the last of my frozen veggies and winter squash. Harvesting a month earlier means running out a month sooner. What I'd like to do is find more early harvest stuff (like the strawberries). If I can dove-tail these things that would help enable sustainability. No sense in going hungry and I hate shopping :D

Been processing the chewing tobacco I grew last year for the last couple days now. It's been hanging in the garage all Winter. Only working on about a third of last years crop (grew 12 plants) but what PITA that has been trying to steam and ferment two huge stacks of leaves. Stripping leaves now and then comes the flavoring. Using a combination of Fireball whiskey and Grandma's robust molasses... Taste is not too shabby :hurray:

Torqaholic
04-27-2012, 8:56pm
Heres a visual -

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/torqaholic/Garden%202011/baccy.jpg

Yummie :D

78SA
04-27-2012, 9:07pm
My dad had the gardening thing down. This is my third year trying. :lol:

vtelvr
04-27-2012, 11:06pm
Heres a visual -

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/torqaholic/Garden%202011/baccy.jpg

Yummie :D

I'd be a willing sampler for that homegrown:leaving:

Torqaholic
04-28-2012, 12:56am
If you're legally old enough to use it IM me your snail mail addy and I'll send you a small sample. Will be a while before I get around to it though, working the weekend.

Just finished stripping the leaves. That was another big PITA trying to minimize stems. Got a big kettle full though. Will probably be flavoring and vacuum packaging the rest of the night... If I can get up enough energy :rofl:

78SA
04-28-2012, 12:16pm
We have a freeze warning for tonight here in PA. The potted herbs on the porch get tucked in with a blanket :seasix:

March was warmer :toetap:

:iagree: It was in the 80's in March.

lspencer534
04-28-2012, 2:15pm
It was in the 80's in March.

Same here, but it got chilly for most of April. Now, though, Summer is here, 85 today.

Torqaholic
04-28-2012, 2:24pm
Kid says we're expecting 70s next week. That will be a good start for my seeds out on the porch. And he found my trowels hidden behind a pile of his crap in the garage... Just like I knew he would :rofl:

78SA
04-28-2012, 2:54pm
It was in the 80's in March.

Same here, but it got chilly for most of April. Now, though, Summer is here, 85 today.
57 here right now. Picked my first strawberry today. :dance:
Kid says we're expecting 70s next week. That will be a good start for my seeds out on the porch. And he found my trowels hidden behind a pile of his crap in the garage... Just like I knew he would :rofl:

Rob
04-28-2012, 3:53pm
From today's pick

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/mtjulietdba/82f59ad5.jpg

I have about 4x this amount out there witin a few days of being ready.

*crappy cellphone pic....I am no Yamma when it comes to photography

78SA
04-28-2012, 4:31pm
From today's pick

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/mtjulietdba/82f59ad5.jpg

I have about 4x this amount out there witin a few days of being ready.

*crappy cellphone pic....I am no Yamma when it comes to photography

Awesome!! :seasix: How big is your strawberry patch? :waiting:

Rob
04-29-2012, 5:32am
Awesome!! :seasix: How big is your strawberry patch? :waiting:

Patch is about 5 years old and I have about 25 plants. The biggest issue I have is slugs. I just keep a dish of beer out there to try and minimize the amount of berries that they eat.

78SA
04-29-2012, 7:09am
Patch is about 5 years old and I have about 25 plants. The biggest issue I have is slugs. I just keep a dish of beer out there to try and minimize the amount of berries that they eat.

:cool1: I just started so hopefully mine will grow good. So far they seem to be doing great. :)

I haven't seen any slugs in mine but I have seen some in front of the house so i will keep an eye out for them. :cert:

JRD77VET
04-29-2012, 6:36pm
:cool1: I just started so hopefully mine will grow good. So far they seem to be doing great. :)

I haven't seen any slugs in mine but I have seen some in front of the house so i will keep an eye out for them. :cert:

They're running back to the garden, hurry up and head them off. :leaving:

( you only have a day until they cover the distance :rofl: )

lspencer534
04-29-2012, 7:05pm

Go ahead and put out some Slug-Bait. It actually attracts them, but it kills them. It's just a matter of time before they start eating your berries.

78SA
04-29-2012, 7:28pm
They're running back to the garden, hurry up and head them off. :leaving:

( you only have a day until they cover the distance :rofl: )
Go ahead and put out some Slug-Bait. It actually attracts them, but it kills them. It's just a matter of time before they start eating your berries.

:issues:

78SA
05-04-2012, 9:34pm
Potato plant!! :hurray:

I have 7 so far. :dance:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2i03i3q.jpg

78SA
05-05-2012, 8:54am
It rained a little last night. :leaving:

http://i45.tinypic.com/qwybs8.jpg

JRD77VET
05-05-2012, 7:11pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/house/garden/DCP_6025.jpg

Hungarian hot peppers,green peppers, cucumbers, a bunch of herbs, two kinds of tomoatoes and whatever else Mary got for the garden :D

78SA
05-05-2012, 7:25pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/house/garden/DCP_6025.jpg

Hungarian hot peppers,green peppers, cucumbers, a bunch of herbs, two kinds of tomoatoes and whatever else Mary got for the garden :D

When are you planting?

JRD77VET
05-05-2012, 7:26pm
Maybe during the week if the garden dries out some, we got drenched with rain.

78SA
05-05-2012, 7:34pm
Maybe during the week if the garden dries out some, we got drenched with rain.

We got 3" last night.

lspencer534
05-05-2012, 7:39pm
We got 3" last night.

3"? You could hardly feel that....Oh! You mean rain?

78SA
05-05-2012, 7:46pm
3"? You could hardly feel that....Oh! You mean rain?

Yes rain. :slap:

78SA
05-06-2012, 2:35pm
Stupid rain. :issues:

http://i47.tinypic.com/293ghf5.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2lxto2.jpg

lspencer534
05-06-2012, 2:55pm
Stupid rain. :issues:

http://i47.tinypic.com/293ghf5.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2lxto2.jpg

It'll be good for the corn. It seems like I'm always criticizing something, but why are your rows so far apart? Looks like about 4'. BTW, when your corn gets to be about knee-high tall, side dress it with some high nitrogen fertilizer and plow it under. Repeat at tassel stage. It will give your corn a big kick in the butt!

78SA
05-06-2012, 3:02pm
It'll be good for the corn. It seems like I'm always criticizing something, but why are your rows so far apart? Looks like about 4'. BTW, when your corn gets to be about knee-high tall, side dress it with some high nitrogen fertilizer and plow it under. Repeat at tassel stage. It will give your corn a big kick in the butt!

Not quite that wide but wide enough to take my riding mower between. Jk, wide enough to get between easier for weeding. Last year they were too close together. I made them raised cause of the flooding too, otherwise all that would have been under water. I put some 10-10-10 on the side a week ago and will do it again. It needs to dry out so I can get in there and fill in the spots that didn't come up.

See the strawberries at the far end? They were completely surrounded by water. Probably 3" or deeper in some spots. The straw was floating and berries were in water.

JRD77VET
05-13-2012, 7:51pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/house/garden/DCP_6067.jpg

Vine tomatoes, bush tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, hungarian hot peppers, celentro (sp?) , basil, dill, taragon, oregano, cantelope, three types of lettuce, radishes and some mint tea in the back.

Probably something else too :D

78SA
05-13-2012, 7:55pm
Looking good!! :seasix:

JRD77VET
05-13-2012, 7:58pm
Looking good!! :seasix:

The 1A rototiller on my Cub Cadet did a great job on the garden. The soil was extremely airy and looked really good. :seasix:

lspencer534
05-13-2012, 8:06pm
The 1A rototiller on my Cub Cadet did a great job on the garden. The soil was extremely airy and looked really good. :seasix:

Your soil does look good! I wish I had good soil like that. Mine is 100% clay, so I built raised beds and made my own soil. Still, it's not as good as rich native dirt.

JRD77VET
05-13-2012, 8:07pm
Your soil does look good! I wish I had good soil like that. Mine is 100% clay, so I built raised beds and made my own soil. Still, it's not as good as rich native dirt.

Back in the day, this was the middle of an orchard. Ground is very nice here :seasix:

78SA
05-13-2012, 8:08pm

A lot less weeds than mine. :lol:

78SA
05-14-2012, 7:50pm
I now have 11 tater plants sticking out of the ground. :D

Found some slugs in my berries after the flooding. Covered them in slug killer when they ran from it the first time. Stepped on one when i didn't have the stuff with me. :issues:

Thinking about building a raised garden to transfer the strawberry plants to. Gotta figure out how to build it. :leaving:

lspencer534
05-14-2012, 8:21pm
I now have 11 tater plants sticking out of the ground. :D

Found some slugs in my berries after the flooding. Covered them in slug killer when they ran from it the first time. Stepped on one when i didn't have the stuff with me. :issues:

Thinking about building a raised garden to transfer the strawberry plants to. Gotta figure out how to build it. :leaving:

Here's how to build it: Get some 2" x 12" pressure treated pine. Make an octagonal planter, 2 tiers high. You can make the bottom tier as large as you want, but starting with 30" boards should easily suffice. All boards will be a miter cut at a 22.5 degree angle. Cut 8 boards for the bottom tier, assemble them with nails, but also use a 12" strip of galvanized hanging strip (the kind used to hang A/C ducts in the attic) at each joint, screwed on.

You'll also need some cross braces to support the second tier, at least 2" x 6". Make the second tire that is 12" smaller than the first tier (12" of planting room). Don't try to go 3 tiers high; it's too hard to keep the plants moist on a third tier.

Transplant the strawberriy plants in Winter, being careful to keep their extensive root system moist. You plants may skip a year of producing after transplanting. You need to destroy strawberry plants after 5-7 years anyway because they invariably get diseased and start producing "mutant" berries.

Make dirt using a 50/50 mixture of Miracle-Gro Vegetable soil and native dirt. Keep it moist at all times! This will not eliminate your slug problem, though, unless you install copper strips on the outside of the planter.

78SA
05-15-2012, 4:14pm
I was thinking about a 6' x 12' raised garden to prevent the flooding. I was also wondering about the base to keep moles out. Would chicken fence covered by weed block stop moles and weeds but allow for drainage?

MrPeabody
05-15-2012, 4:19pm
I was thinking about a 6' x 12' raised garden to prevent the flooding. I was also wondering about the base to keep moles out. Would chicken fence covered by weed block stop moles and weeds but allow for drainage?

Chicken wire is not fine enough to keep moles out. You need something with a finer mesh.

78SA
05-15-2012, 4:27pm
Chicken wire is not fine enough to keep moles out. You need something with a finer mesh.

Sheet metal with little holes poked in it? :leaving:

MrPeabody
05-15-2012, 4:37pm

:lol: No, just something finer than chicken wire. Moles are considerably smaller than chickens. And not as tasty.

lspencer534
05-15-2012, 4:41pm

A raised bed should never be more than 4' wide. You simply can't reach midway into the bed, at least not comfortably, it it's wider. Remember, you'll be tilling/planting/weeding/picking on your knees (unless you like a lot of bending over).

Flooding: A raised bed won't do any good if it's sitting in water; you'll have to place it in higher ground. Always put down black plastic sheeting under the planter; just be sure to slice lots of drainage holes in it.

78SA
05-15-2012, 4:41pm
:lol: No, just something finer than chicken wire. Moles are considerably smaller than chickens. And not as tasty.

What if the wire with the holes the size of a quarter?

78SA
05-15-2012, 4:43pm
A raised bed should never be more than 4' wide. You simply can't reach midway into the bed, at least not comfortably, it it's wider. Remember, you'll be tilling/planting/weeding/picking on your knees (unless you like a lot of bending over).

Flooding: A raised bed won't do any good if it's sitting in water; you'll have to place it in higher ground. Always put down black plastic sheeting under the planter; just be sure to slice lots of drainage holes in it.

My strawberry plants are in rows wider than 6'. :leaving:

Wouldn't the raised part make it higher ground? :lol:

lspencer534
05-15-2012, 4:44pm
I don't know what it's called; just go to a farm supply place and pick out what you want. You're gonna have to bury the fencing pretty deep.

78SA
05-15-2012, 4:46pm
I don't know what it's called; just go to a farm supply place and pick out what you want. You're gonna have to bury the fencing pretty deep.

I was thinking laying flat and bent up on the sides and attached to the wood.

lspencer534
05-15-2012, 4:47pm
My strawberry plants are in rows wider than 6'. :leaving:

Wouldn't the raised part make it higher ground? :lol:

:toetap:

lspencer534
05-15-2012, 4:49pm
I was thinking laying flat and bent up on the sides and attached to the wood.

That'll work. In that case you're going to have to build your beds 4' wide because that's how high (wide in your case) such fencing is.

Forgot to add: Fencing under dirt won't last very long, even if it's galvanized.

78SA
05-15-2012, 4:50pm
That'ss work. In that case you're going to have to build your beds 4' wide because that's how high (wide in your case) such fencing is.

I would only get 2 rows. :(

lspencer534
05-15-2012, 5:14pm
I would only get 2 rows. :(

No, no! You can build as many planters as you like, and you can make them as long as you want. But...several 4' x 8' planters would look much nicer. I have one octagonal, tiered planter for my strawberries (holds about 30 plants), and it makes all the berries my family can eat.

Like I said before, don't attempt to make an octagonal planter 3 tiers high; you simply can't keep the top tier moist.

78SA
05-15-2012, 5:20pm
No, no! You can build as many planters as you like, and you can make them as long as you want. But...several 4' x 8' planters would look much nicer. I have one octagonal, tiered planter for my strawberries (holds about 30 plants), and it makes all the berries my family can eat.

Like I said before, don't attempt to make an octagonal planter 3 tiers high; you simply can't keep the top tier moist.

Space and money limit how many I can have. :lol:

MrPeabody
05-15-2012, 5:26pm
Space and money limit how many I can have. :lol:

A few years ago I built four 8X3 boxes out of 2X12s. Bolted them together with galvanized bolts and fille them with good dirt. (soil here is mostly clay)

It cost over $400 for the project.

78SA
05-15-2012, 5:28pm
A few years ago I built four 8X3 boxes out of 2X12s. Bolted them together with galvanized bolts and fille them with good dirt. (soil here is mostly clay)

:willy:

MrPeabody
05-15-2012, 5:31pm
:willy:

Over $100 in galvanized nuts and bolts alone. Shop around. The local store here was cheaper than Home Depot.

lspencer534
05-15-2012, 5:42pm

It doesn't have to cost nearly that much. Go to Lowe's/Home Depot to buy either 3-2x12x8 or 3-2x12x12 PTP. Check the prices--sometimes 2 12' boards are cheaper than 3 8' boards. You'll also need 1-2x4x8 PTP for each planter, plus some 2.5" square-head galvanized screws.

Cut a planter 4'W x 8'L. Cut the 2x4 into 4 pieces 10" long each and 2 pieces 4" long each. That'll leave you 48" of 2x4.

Assemble the planter using the 10" pieces at the corners screwed together with the galvanized screws. At the middle, screw the 4" pieces to the side and run a 2x4 brace across the width to keep the planter from bulging.

About $30 each.

MrPeabody
05-15-2012, 5:47pm
It doesn't have to cost nearly that much. Go to Lowe's/Home Depot to buy either 3-2x12x8 or 3-2x12x12 PTP. Check the prices--sometimes 2 12' boards are cheaper than 3 8' boards. You'll also need 1-2x4x8 PTP for each planter, plus some 2.5" square-head galvanized screws.

Cut a planter 4'W x 8'L. Cut the 2x4 into 4 pieces 10" long each and 2 pieces 4" long each. That'll leave you 48" of 2x4.

Assemble the planter using the 10" pieces at the corners screwed together with the galvanized screws. At the middle, screw the 4" pieces to the side and run a 2x4 brace across the width to keep the planter from bulging.

About $30 each.

Not where I live.The lumber alone was close to $300, and I used every inch of it. I didn't use screws, I put a 4x4 on the inside of each corner and used 5" bolts with big washers. This was perhaps an overkill, but they are holding up very well and I'm glad I did it this way.:seasix:

78SA
05-15-2012, 5:57pm
:waiting:

JRD77VET
05-15-2012, 7:51pm

Get the metal lath that you put up when you plaster a wall. All the cutouts are sharp and the critters don't like that. :seasix:

I put that at the bottom of the shed ( about a foot down ) and haven't had a single groundhog dig around my shed in three years :hurray:

78SA
06-11-2012, 3:51pm
http://i46.tinypic.com/9zuk2r.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/11htb46.jpg

:dance:

jaxgator
06-12-2012, 9:11am
http://i46.tinypic.com/9zuk2r.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/11htb46.jpg

Lookeen good! :seasix:

lspencer534
06-12-2012, 9:58am
Lookeen good! :seasix:

Yup! I ate the first ears from my garden Sunday night. :seasix:

78SA
06-13-2012, 6:19pm
Better pics with new camera. :seasix:

http://i45.tinypic.com/e96o06.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/r8ffuq.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/15ouxc4.jpg

Torqaholic
06-14-2012, 5:50am
Most of my stuff just broke the surface this week. Was 39F yesterday morning.

78SA
06-14-2012, 4:35pm
Most of my stuff just broke the surface this week. Was 39F yesterday morning.

Maybe you will have a good fall crop. :lol:

lspencer534
06-14-2012, 5:09pm
Good looking Garden! I see you staggered your corn planting, which is very good. Let me suggest one thing: Next year, instead of making successive plantings in one entire row, plant them in two shorter rows side-by-side. Much better pollination. :seasix:

78SA
06-14-2012, 5:55pm
Good looking Garden! I see you staggered your corn planting, which is very good. Let me suggest one thing: Next year, instead of making successive plantings in one entire row, plant them in two shorter rows side-by-side. Much better pollination. :seasix:

Actually the short ones are where they didn't come up the first or second time and I replanted. :lol: I figure 4 rows is enough to not need to stagger the planting. :cert:

78SA
06-22-2012, 8:10pm
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vry48x.jpg

78SA
06-23-2012, 7:19pm
http://i49.tinypic.com/24m5dh2.jpg

Got these from one plant. :dance:

VatorMan
06-23-2012, 7:37pm

:rofl: That's what finally broke me on my garden.

JRD77VET
06-23-2012, 8:13pm
:rofl: That's what finally broke me on my garden.

Hav a hart trap

plus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/house/DCP_1671A.jpg

using

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Ammunition/Rimfire/SubSnc500clr.ashx

will quietly resolve the problem :D

78SA
06-23-2012, 8:21pm
Hav a hart trap

plus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/house/DCP_1671A.jpg

using

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Ammunition/Rimfire/SubSnc500clr.ashx

will quietly resolve the problem :D

I'm in the city limits. :leaving:

VatorMan
06-23-2012, 8:24pm

:withstupid:

JRD77VET
06-23-2012, 8:32pm

:withstupid:

Barrel against grass rats head = no sound :seasix:

Or use hav a hart trap and garbage bag in conjunction with running vehicle's exhaust pipe :D

78SA
06-23-2012, 8:47pm
Luckily my fence is keeping him out. :dance:

78SA
06-23-2012, 8:48pm
http://i45.tinypic.com/35b6z2v.jpg

78SA
07-01-2012, 1:41pm
Ate these yesterday.

http://i47.tinypic.com/16k584h.jpg

Picked these a few minutes ago.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mwfo6t.jpg

lspencer534
07-01-2012, 2:08pm
:drool:

78SA
07-01-2012, 3:17pm
:drool:

:D :dance:

jaxgator
07-02-2012, 11:42am

What is that? A Nutria?

Ate these yesterday.

http://i47.tinypic.com/16k584h.jpg

Picked these a few minutes ago.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mwfo6t.jpg

:drool: YUM!

78SA
07-02-2012, 4:13pm
That's a groundhog.

Torqaholic
07-02-2012, 4:48pm
Love me some sweet corn. This was my final harvest last year (ate some before picking these) -

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/torqaholic/Garden%202011/corn.jpg

Froze them and just ate the last of it about a month ago. Should get twice that much this year... Definately needs to last longer :D

OddBall
07-02-2012, 4:58pm

Groundhog: "How cute, a fence."

Yamma
07-02-2012, 5:01pm
impressive!! Our garden has now almost completely fried. Corn, pumpkins, brussel sprouts, cucumber, green beans........all fried. No amount of water could save them. Luckily the tomatoes, okra, and squash are still ok.....carrots may or may not make it.

VatorMan
07-02-2012, 5:08pm

78SA
07-02-2012, 5:11pm
impressive!! Our garden has now almost completely fried. Corn, pumpkins, brussel sprouts, cucumber, green beans........all fried. No amount of water could save them. Luckily the tomatoes, okra, and squash are still ok.....carrots may or may not make it.

Some of mine got flattened in the storm last night. A section right in the middle is flattened. I have watered mine some but that area also holds water decent. :seasix:

78SA
07-02-2012, 5:17pm
Love me some sweet corn. This was my final harvest last year (ate some before picking these) -

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/torqaholic/Garden%202011/corn.jpg

Froze them and just ate the last of it about a month ago. Should get twice that much this year... Definately needs to last longer :D

Mine was very disappointing last year.

78SA
07-02-2012, 7:14pm

http://i45.tinypic.com/2z3name.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/15x00at.jpg

VatorMan
07-02-2012, 7:35pm
Groundhogs like canned peaches. Just sayin'.

78SA
07-02-2012, 7:37pm
Groundhogs like canned peaches. Just sayin'.

They seem to like corn too. :leaving:

78SA
07-02-2012, 7:41pm
This is down the road. :lol:

http://i45.tinypic.com/tafxh3.jpg

lspencer534
07-02-2012, 8:05pm
This is down the road. :lol:

http://i45.tinypic.com/tafxh3.jpg

Is that where the groundhog lives?

jaxgator
07-03-2012, 9:26am
That's a groundhog.

That's what I was thinking. Couldn't he just dig under the fence? It is a Groundhog after all.

78SA
07-03-2012, 4:48pm

78SA
07-03-2012, 4:49pm
That's what I was thinking. Couldn't he just dig under the fence? It is a Groundhog after all.

No holes anywhere around the fence or in the garden. Maybe he is lazy. Something has climbed the fence at a corner post and gotten some corn. Either him or the raccoon.

OddBall
07-03-2012, 4:55pm