PDA

View Full Version : Damn rocks.... wind sheild repair????

DJ_Critterus
04-16-2012, 12:04pm
Does that windshield repair stuff work? I noticed I have a small 1/4" crack in my Flex's windshield this morning and don't want to fork out $$$ to have it fixed (deductible and shit).

So, what's the verdict on this stuff?

VatorMan
04-16-2012, 12:06pm
GIECO paid for my repair. No deductible. The resin stuff that Safelite uses works pretty good.

Stangkiller
04-16-2012, 12:12pm
GIECO paid for my repair. No deductible. The resin stuff that Safelite uses works pretty good.

That requirement varies by state. In Florida it was no deductible. Here in TX, my understanding is the insurance companies are not required to have no deductible on the windshield.

DJ_Critterus
04-16-2012, 12:26pm
Hmm... guess I'll try the cheap fix first, then. They got places all over post that do these repairs. I wonder if that stuff from the Auto Parts stores is worth a shit?

Ol Timer
04-16-2012, 2:56pm
I've used the service several times and was satisfied.

justind
04-16-2012, 3:20pm
I'm sure that after you try the cheap shit and it doesn't work they are going to have a hell of a time reinjecting it.

Bucwheat
04-16-2012, 3:41pm
That requirement varies by state. In Florida it was no deductible. Here in TX, my understanding is the insurance companies are not required to have no deductible on the windshield.

S.C. the Insurance co. must replace the windshield without a dedudtable also.

04 commemorative
04-16-2012, 3:55pm
Went through Insurance on a few cars...they send out Safelite windshield repair and charge nothing.
It works great and they rather eat that cost then let it go and be a replace claim.

DJ_Critterus
04-16-2012, 4:29pm
Went through Insurance on a few cars...they send out Safelite windshield repair and charge nothing.
It works great and they rather eat that cost then let it go and be a replace claim.

Does it effect your premiums?

Mirroredshades
04-16-2012, 5:51pm
I have a small chip too. Anyone ever tried super glue?

:confused:

04 commemorative
04-16-2012, 6:08pm

it has not affected them

VatorMan
04-16-2012, 6:12pm

I've had my Corvette windshield fixed twice and replaced once. Premiums never went up.

lspencer534
04-16-2012, 6:13pm
I wouldn't use a do-it-yourself kit. Call a professional. The longer you wait, the harder it is to fix the crack. I'm assuming you have a chip instead of a split in the windshield; chips can be fixed, but not a split (a long split in the glass. The repair is not unnoticeable if you have a large "bulls-eye" crack, but it minimizes it a lot. It's more or less a permanent fix.

Me2
04-16-2012, 7:46pm

I've got 2 hips in my windshield that are over a year old. Allstate will fix the chip and crack at no charge to me. If the chip(s) starts to spread, all I pay is a $50 deductible to get a new windshield. I've seen the stuff from the auto parts store work to a degree if you do it correctly. It seems to keep the crack from spreading but you can still see where it was if you look closely.

stingraymyway
04-16-2012, 8:44pm
I have a small chip too. Anyone ever tried super glue?

:confused:

Don't even .........:slap:
Safelite repaired a chip in my windshield a year and a half ago. No issues so far.

Omega Man
04-16-2012, 11:03pm
Make sure they use a suction cup / machine on it to pull a vacuum. The stuff in the auto parts store is shit.

Mirroredshades
04-16-2012, 11:10pm
Make sure they use a suction cup / machine on it to pull a vacuum. The stuff in the auto parts store is shit.

Monk started a thread over at CF that is begging for your attn.

:leaving:

HeatherO
04-16-2012, 11:12pm
I paid $170 to have my jeep windshield replaced a couple years ago...a friend did it...he just charged me the cost of the windshield...

Torqaholic
04-17-2012, 1:12am
No fault and no deductable here.

I called up a gravel truck company here to complain about their load not being covered on the freeway causing my windshield to break and they didn't seem to care that it was illegal. With an attitude like that they better hope a rock kills me if I am hit on the bike because somebody is going to the hospital and it isn't going to be me.

04 commemorative
04-17-2012, 8:08am
No fault and no deductable here.

I called up a gravel truck company here to complain about their load not being covered on the freeway causing my windshield to break and they didn't seem to care that it was illegal. With an attitude like that they better hope a rock kills me if I am hit on the bike because somebody is going to the hospital and it isn't going to be me.

Good chance of that on a bike....hope not for your sake.:seasix: