PDA

View Full Version : A moment of silence, please

lspencer534
04-15-2012, 1:49pm
ABOARD MS BALMORAL (AP) — With prayers, a hymn and a moment of silence broken by a ship's deep whistle, passengers and crew on a memorial trip marked 100 years to the moment since the Titanic sent more than 1,500 people to a watery grave.

As the 1912 disaster was commemorated around the world, the city that built the vessel — Belfast, Northern Ireland — looked back on the tragic sinking with a distinctive mixture of sorrow and pride.

In the North Atlantic, passengers lined the decks of the MS Balmoral, a cruise ship that has been retracing the route of the doomed voyage, as the ship stopped early Sunday at the spot where the Titanic went down in the early hours of April 15, 1912.

After a short service and a moment of silence, three floral wreaths were cast onto the waves as the ship's whistle sounded in the dark.

Jane Allen from Devon in southwest England, whose great-uncle perished on the Titanic, said the moment vividly reminded her of the horror of the disaster.

"All you could hear was the swell splashing against the side of the ship. You could see the white breakers stretching out to sea," she told the BBC. "You are in the middle of nowhere. And then you look down over the side of the ship and you realize that every man and every woman who didn't make it into a lifeboat had to make that decision, of when to jump or stay on the ship as the lights went out."

Another cruise ship, Journey, which traveled from New York, also held a service at the site, 400 miles (640 kilometers) off the coast of Newfoundland.

The Titanic, the world's largest and most luxurious ocean liner, was traveling from England to New York when it struck an iceberg at 11:40 p.m. on April 14, 1912. It sank less than three hours later, with the loss of all but 700 of the 2,208 passengers and crew.

Jeff '79
04-15-2012, 1:50pm
Wow....It's the 15th....100 years......:sadangel:

MEC5LADY
04-15-2012, 1:51pm
:sadangel:

mrvette
04-15-2012, 1:53pm
DIVE< DIVE< Raise the Titanic!!!@#@!~!

and depress the antiques market at the same time....:seasix::hurray::sadangel::confused5::lol:

Jeff '79
04-15-2012, 1:55pm

and depress the antiques market at the same time....:seasix::hurray::sadangel::confused5::lol:

You're thought process is really different than anyone I know......I can't figgur your ass out for nuttin'..... Just when I think I'm getting it, you come out with another gem.........:lol:

:cert:

Fasglas
04-15-2012, 3:33pm

Nope, cannot be done and will not be attempted, REGARDLESS of what Clive Cussler's book, or the subsequent film imparts.
Titanic's actual remains would never survive excavation, much less raising and transport to wherever.
Titanic is going nowhere.

carlton_fritz
04-15-2012, 4:37pm
hmmm, April 15th. The IRS did it.

78SA
04-15-2012, 4:40pm
They should make an exact replica and name it Titanic II. :leaving:

Jeff '79
04-15-2012, 4:46pm
They should make an exact replica and name it Titanic II. :leaving:

:rofl::rofl: That would go over like a lead balloon....
Maybe a Disney World ride though...:seasix:

Dan Dlabay
04-15-2012, 7:09pm
May the victims of the Titanic rest in peace and be blessed by God.:sadangel:

Vette40th
04-15-2012, 7:16pm
While I feel for the loss of life, there are/were many more ships that have been lost at sea. They may not have been the biggest or more luxurious ships, they had lives on-board as well. The Titanic has been glorified to no end.

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-15-2012, 7:23pm
The Titanic has been glorified to no end
The whole Titanic thing is played out in my opinion. Beyond the science aspect, as someone here pointed out, let it sink.

If Leo hadn't banged that redhead in the car, this would have much less press.

lspencer534
04-15-2012, 7:30pm
The whole Titanic thing is played out in my opinion. Beyond the science aspect, as someone here pointed out, let it sink.

If Leo hadn't banged that redhead in the car, this would have much less press.

Don't know about that. Leo's movie wasn't the first about the Titanic, by a long shot. It's a sad tragedy, easy to romanticize in people's minds, and just a shocker at the time. Remember: It wasn't sinkable! But it was. Expectations of the Industrial Age and modern ship-building were crushed.

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-15-2012, 7:33pm
Don't know about that. Leo's movie wasn't the first about the Titanic, by a long shot. It's a sad tragedy, easy to romanticize in people's minds, and just a shocker at the time. Remember: It wasn't sinkable! But it was. Expectations of the Industrial Age and modern ship-building were crushed.

There have been much worse tragedies. I don't understand why this one captured everyones attention like it has.

JRD77VET
04-15-2012, 7:38pm
There have been much worse tragedies. I don't understand why this one captured everyones attention like it has.

It's been getting played up around here because of two local connections. One was some rich guy from the Allentown,PA area and the other was a local young lady from Hereford,PA who was a Mennonite missionary in India who was coming home for bit.

This was the last music played on the Titanic
Nearer, My God, to Thee - YouTube

86RAG
04-15-2012, 7:42pm

Probably because it seems like everyone knows somebody that was on that ship, or tried to be. My mother used to tell us how her mother tried to board that ship and come over from Ireland, but she was too late and couldn't book passage. Can't even imagine how things would have changed had she managed to book passage!

Fasglas
04-15-2012, 8:11pm

Titanic became an international incident. Much finger pointing and excuses. Some issues have YET to be answered, and in all liklihood, never will be.

Another marine disaster happened in 1915, of epic loss of life happened in the Chicago River, in 20 feet of water, less than 50 feet from the wharf.
Google EASTLAND DISASTER.
Eastland was part of a fleet of steamers owned by my wife's family.

BADRACR1
04-15-2012, 9:33pm
:iagree: " Empress of Ireland" was another sinking with a great loss of life. May 29, 1914, in 130 feet of water and within sight of land. 1012 people died.
The ship went down in fourteen minutes after being rammed in the side by another ship in heavy fog.
Fourteen minutes!:sadangel:
Amongst the survivors, Frank "Lucky" Tower is improbably said to have been one of the few crewmen who survived this shipwreck and the sinking of the Titanic and the sinking of the Lusitania. Don't think I'd want to sail with this fecker!

One passenger on the Titanic, Violet Jessop, was also one of the survivors of Britannic's sinking as well as the third sister, Olympic, when she collided with HMS Hawke.

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-16-2012, 8:26am
That's rich.
That's life. This MAY come as a shock to your delicate sensibilities, but some folks are just not fascinated with this any longer.

To each his own.

Doug28450
04-16-2012, 8:29am
Just wait a week and it'll be back to the masses not really caring/thinking about it. :yesnod:

It's going to take you a week?

Bucwheat
04-16-2012, 9:09am
Yea all kinds of movies and films on it airing today .

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-16-2012, 9:12am
Yea all kinds of movies and films on it airing today .

Wildly popular topic no doubt. :cert: