PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to eat your fruit and veggies...and popcorn?

lspencer534
03-26-2012, 3:55pm
SUNDAY, March 25 (HealthDay News) -- Want a healthy snack? Consider passing the popcorn. A new study says the whole-grain treat contains more of the "good for you" antioxidants called polyphenols than some fruits or vegetables.

The amount of polyphenols in popcorn was up to 300 milligrams (mg) per serving compared with 114 mg per serving of sweet corn and 160 mg per serving for all fruits, according to study findings to be presented Sunday at a meeting of the American Chemical Society in San Diego. This is because polyphenols are diluted in the 90 percent water that makes up many fruits and vegetables, whereas they are more concentrated in popcorn, which averages only about 4 percent water, the study authors said.

The levels of polyphenols in popcorn reported in this study were higher than previously believed. The levels were similar to those found in nuts and 15 times the levels found in whole-grain tortilla chips, the researchers said.

The investigators also found that the hulls of popcorn -- the bits that tend to get caught in the teeth -- have the highest concentrations of polyphenols and fiber.

"Those hulls deserve more respect," [:rofl:] study author Joe Vinson, of the University of Scranton, said in the news release.

However, Vinson warned, adding butter, salt and other calorie-laden flavorings can turn this snack into a bucketful of trouble.

"Air-popped popcorn has the lowest number of calories, of course," Vinson said. "Microwave popcorn has twice as many calories as air-popped, and if you pop your own with oil, this has twice as many calories as air-popped popcorn. About 43 percent of microwave popcorn is fat, compared to 28 percent if you pop the corn in oil yourself."

Popcorn is the "only snack that is 100 percent unprocessed whole grain. All other grains are processed and diluted with other ingredients, and although cereals are called 'whole grain,' this simply means that over 51 percent of the weight of the product is whole grain," Vinson said.

"One serving of popcorn will provide more than 70 percent of the daily intake of whole grain. The average person only gets about half a serving of whole grains a day, and popcorn could fill that gap in a very pleasant way," he noted.

MrPeabody
03-26-2012, 4:02pm
When my wife was a kid the family tradition was to have popcorn and watch the Ed Sullivan show on Sunday night. The popcorn was Sunday dinner. Of course, the kids liked it and looked forward to it every week. I always figured her parents were pretty smart. Think how much money they saved over the years serving five kids popcorn for dinner once a week.:seasix:

Rotorhead
03-26-2012, 4:09pm
That's this week. Next week it will be bad for you again. All studies done by scientists on government grants.

MEC5LADY
03-26-2012, 4:10pm
Ahhh airpopped popcorn and a sprinkling of dark chocolate cocoa powder sounds like good medicine to me.:dance:

lspencer534
03-26-2012, 4:29pm
That's this week. Next week it will be bad for you again. All studies done by scientists on government grants.

From the article:

"The study was funded by the university and received no money from the food industry. The data and conclusions of research presented at medical meetings should be viewed as preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal."

I do agree that next week the story could by flipped.

lspencer534
03-26-2012, 4:30pm
When my wife was a kid the family tradition was to have popcorn and watch the Ed Sullivan show on Sunday night. The popcorn was Sunday dinner. Of course, the kids liked it and looked forward to it every week. I always figured her parents were pretty smart. Think how much money they saved over the years serving five kids popcorn for dinner once a week.:seasix:

Smart parents!

Nox
03-26-2012, 4:59pm
And I read a story that said that microwave popcorn could be toxic. The plastic lining leaches into the popcorn and can cause cancer. So I guess I need an air popper.

lspencer534
03-26-2012, 5:46pm
And I read a story that said that microwave popcorn could be toxic. The plastic lining leaches into the popcorn and can cause cancer. So I guess I need an air popper.

That makes sense. I know that air popped tastes better.

G8rDMD
03-26-2012, 7:31pm
I'm gonna go pop a bag of buttery, disgusting, microwave popcorn just because of that.

I hate people telling me that everything I enjoy will cause me cancer. Fvck 'em! :D

Ignoring this forum and not posting on it will cause cancer:leaving:

lspencer534
03-26-2012, 7:34pm
Ignoring this forum and not posting on it will cause cancer:leaving:

And diarrhea. :leaving: