PDA

View Full Version : The Sunday Afternoon Puzzle!

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 3:52pm
Grab a beer...and no Googling!

1. In his youth a man decides to take a trip to visit the great pyramids of Egypt. He is deeply moved by the trip, and years later he decides to take his son who has never been away from home to see the pyramids. Here's the catch: The man made his trip to the pyramids in 1995, but his son made his trip to see them in 1969. How is this possible?
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/lspencer534/pyramids.jpg

2. A few weeks ago, my vacuum broke. This is a conventional vacuum cleaner -- the kind that's on wheels, with the hose that plugs in on one end. The vacuum looks like a torpedo.

Before I threw it out, however, I decided I'd take it apart to see if I could fix it. I surprised myself and found the problem. It was a broken wire.
While I'm fixing it, I notice a huge chunk of iron attached to the base of the vacuum. It looks like it weighs about two pounds.

I remembered two years ago when I took a stereo component apart. I noticed that it also had a huge chunk of iron in there -- so that you wouldn't think it was a big empty box with 65 cents' worth of components. I thought, do I want my wife dragging around this vacuum cleaner that's two pounds heavier? Of course not. I'll just throw this thing out. So I pry off the piece of iron and I put the vacuum back together. What will happen?
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/lspencer534/vacuumcleaner.jpg

3. A few months ago, a car repair shop needed a part called a "map sensor" for a customer's Toyota Celica. It's a fairly expensive part, so they wanted to check with the customer before ordering one. They called him five or six times, and there was no answer, before realizing he had probably given them his home number, and he was at work.

Finally, late in the day he calls and asks, "Is my car done?" The shop explained that he needs this expensive part. And he tells the shop to go ahead and order it. The shop calls the dealer. The phone rings and rings and rings, and then they notice it's 5:01 pm. All the dealerships are closed! After five minutes of moaning and groaning, the shop had an inspiration. And the next morning, they had the part. How?

4. A few weeks ago I experienced one of those rare and wonderful mornings where you just kind of wake up naturally, no alarm clocks, no noise, no nothing. Just gentle sunlight caressing my face and whispering, 'Wake up, Charlie. Wake up.'

I rolled over and glanced at the digital clock on my nightstand and it was flashing 7:25. I thought the power must have gone off during the night. Not to worry. It's Saturday and I don't have to work. . Then it hit me like a sumo wrestler falling on my chest. It wasn't Saturday after all, it was Friday! I'm going to be late for work. Again!

So I sprang to my feet and grabbed the wristwatch off my dresser. It said 6:50. That's odd. So I ran to the kitchen where I have one of those old fashioned analog electric clocks, the kind with the hands that plugs into an electric outlet. And it read 6:30. So assuming that all three timepieces are working properly and they were all set to the same time when I went to bed the night before, when did the power go off and for how long?'

5. A car is traveling at 60 mph. Can you name a part, or parts, of the car, that are not moving in relation to the road?

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/lspencer534/vb17.jpg

Unposties:

Leilani Dowding Topless Bikini Pictures from Miami | Full Size Photo | 2 | Egotastic! (http://egotastic.com/photos/leilani-dowding-topless-bikini-pictures-from-miami/leilani-dowding-bikini-topless-miami-03/full-size/)

kingpin
03-25-2012, 4:06pm
#2 It shook like an uneven load in a washing machine.

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:08pm
#2 It shook like an uneven load in a washing machine.

Not quite it. Describe the motion of the vacuum cleaner.

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:14pm
Okay, peeps--Answer this: If I'm driving 80/mph, how many miles will I travel in one hour?

kingpin
03-25-2012, 4:20pm
Okay, peeps--Answer this: If I'm driving 80/mph, how many miles will I travel in one hour?

:lol:

Well if I can walk 5 mph in 20 minutes with a limp I would say the answer is 25.

Your regulars don't seem to be around tonight Larry. :sadangel:

Why don't you save your post for next weekend.

CuzzinJack
03-25-2012, 4:23pm

Well if I can walk 5 mph in 20 minutes with a limp I would say the answer is 25.

Your regulars don't seem to be around tonight Larry. :sadangel:

Why don't you save your post for next weekend.

The clocks went forward here last night and it's later than usual . .10.22 as i type .. Gimmme a break ...:rofl: . .:shots:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:25pm
The clocks went forward here last night and it's later than usual . .10.22 as i type .. Gimmme a break ...:rofl: . .:shots:

Where are you?

CuzzinJack
03-25-2012, 4:26pm
I'm working on #4 being 11hrs and 20 minutes power outage with 5 mins to get out of bed and to the kitchen . .Am i close ? ..:confused5:

CuzzinJack
03-25-2012, 4:28pm
Where are you?

S.W .UK ...:seasix: . .. Can i still play ? ...:D

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:30pm
S.W .UK ...:seasix: . .. Can i still play ? ...:D

Can you still play??? Hell, yes! My last name is Spencer, old chap! As in Diana Spencer, William Spencer Churchill, etc. :cert:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:32pm
I'm working on #4 being 11hrs and 20 minutes power outage with 5 mins to get out of bed and to the kitchen . .Am i close ? ..:confused5:

Nope.

Hoog
03-25-2012, 4:32pm
4. Power went out at 11:05pm and was out for 20 minutes

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:33pm
4. Power went out at 11:25pm and was out for 20 minutes

Correct! 1 point.

kingpin
03-25-2012, 4:36pm
4. Power went out at 11:05pm and was out for 20 minutes

Originally Posted by Hoog
4. Power went out at 11:25pm and was out for 20 minutes
Correct! 1 point.

:rofl:

Hoog
03-25-2012, 4:38pm
:rofl: I miss-typed that three different ways.

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:39pm
:rofl:

Points are handed out rather freely today. :rofl:

The edited answer is correct.

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:41pm
:rofl: I miss-typed that three different ways.

No problem. The answer to that one only stays in your mind for a few seconds, then you have doubts.

73sbVert
03-25-2012, 4:41pm
#2, it is a weight in the bottom of the vacuum to counter act the force exerted by the motor and impeller. Without it on the bottom, the canister will be very unstable and flip over/fall over all the time when trying to maneuver it around the house.

It's only there to provide a 'bottom' to the canister.

OddBall
03-25-2012, 4:42pm
5.) Tires. Where the rubber meets the road

73sbVert
03-25-2012, 4:45pm

Damn! Didn't think of that! :seasix:

CuzzinJack
03-25-2012, 4:45pm
Can you still play??? Hell, yes! My last name is Spencer, old chap! As in Diana Spencer, William Spencer Churchill, etc. :cert:

Good grief; i'm on an American car forum interacting with bloomin aristocracy ..:seasix::seasix:

Nope.

I was close with the 20 mins part ..:rofl:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:49pm
#2, it is a weight in the bottom of the vacuum to counter act the force exerted by the motor and impeller. Without it on the bottom, the canister will be very unstable and flip over/fall over all the time when trying to maneuver it around the house.

It's only there to provide a 'bottom' to the canister.

Yes! The motor started turning in one direction and the whole vacuum cleaner -- Turned in the other direction.

1 point.

99 pewtercoupe
03-25-2012, 4:50pm
Good grief; i'm on an American car forum interacting with bloomin aristocracy ..:seasix::seasix:

Dont worry he is from a branch of the Spencer family that was disowned years ago.

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:50pm

Correct! Imagine an ideal tire where one point is touching the road. That very point of the tire that's touching the road must not be moving in relation to the road. In fact, it is moving at zero miles an hour. And when you point it 180 degrees away, it has to be moving at twice that speed, or 120 miles an hour.
The bottom of every tire is moving at zero miles an hour with respect to the road. If that weren't the case, then the car would be in a skid.

1 point.

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:51pm

I was close with the 20 mins part ..:rofl:

Aristocracy, my butt! I'm a 364th cousin of Diana. :rofl:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:52pm
Dont worry he is from a branch of the Spencer family that was disowned years ago.

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:53pm
We're down to the pyramid and car part questions.

Pyramid hint: They're very old.

Car part: Think of Cuzzinjack.

OddBall
03-25-2012, 4:54pm
1.) 1995 BC. to 1969 BC

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 4:55pm
1.) 1995 BC. to 1969 BC

Very good! You're in the lead with 2 points. You can be tied, but not beat.

OddBall
03-25-2012, 4:56pm
3. The parts store was near a time-zone division?

CuzzinJack
03-25-2012, 4:59pm

Aristocracy, my butt! I'm a 364th cousin of Diana. :rofl:

But , but , but you are related to William and Harry so are remotely in line to the throne ...I'll see what i can do ...:rofl:

As for the car part question --- they called a dealer in a different time zone ..:seasix:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 5:00pm
3. The parts store was near a time-zone division?

Yes! All the repair shop had to be was one hour later than another time zone to get the part overnight. You're the winner with 3 points!

Oddball, you need to play more often--you did better than the regulars. Thanks for playing, peeps!

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 5:02pm

But , but , but you are related to William and Harry so are remotely in line to the throne ...I'll see what i can do ...:rofl:

As for the car part question --- they called a dealer in a different time zone ..:seasix:

Oddball beat you to the answer by 3 minutes.

Let's see...if I can live another 895 years, I might have a shot at the throne? Any help will be appreciated! :cert:

OddBall
03-25-2012, 5:03pm
Yes! All the rerpair shop had to be was one hour later than another time zone to get the part overnight. You're the winner with 3 points!

Oddball, you need to play more often--you did better than the regulars. Thanks for playing, peeps!

It's usually over with by the time I get to play :Jeff '79:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 5:04pm
It's usually over with by the time I get to play :Jeff '79:

Try to come back next week. :cert:

CuzzinJack
03-25-2012, 5:07pm

:leaving: ...Thanks anyway good sire and i bid thee good night ..:seasix: .:kimblair:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 5:11pm
:leaving: ...Thanks anyway good sire and i bid thee good night ..:seasix: .:kimblair:

Sorry--stiff upper lip, now! Goodnight to you, old boy!

99 pewtercoupe
03-25-2012, 5:14pm
According to Burkes, an ancestor was caught prancing around in the Queens knickers on his way to court:lol::lol::lol:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 5:28pm
According to Burkes, an ancestor was caught prancing around in the Queens knickers on his way to court:lol::lol::lol:

That was the ale prancing, not me. :leaving:

CuzzinJack
03-25-2012, 5:33pm

Don't be 'dissin' Mr Spencer ..:D . That whole War of Independence thing --- well it was a stalemate and under international law because the country wasn't 'won' the Brits still legally own the US ...Mr Spencer could one day , in theory , be owed a lot of ground rent ...:rofl:

I'm out ...:kimblair:

MikeB
03-25-2012, 5:59pm
We're down to the pyramid and car part questions.

Pyramid hint: They're very old.

Car part: Think of Cuzzinjack.

Pyramid question: I was thinking of the Ray Stevens song, and movie with that idiot who married Rosanne Barr, "I am my own grandpa"

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 6:33pm
Pyramid question: I was thinking of the Ray Stevens song, and movie with that idiot who married Rosanne Barr, "I am my own grandpa"

I remember that! :lol:

JRD77VET
03-25-2012, 6:57pm
2. the vacuum will "torque" / twist when it's turned on due to less mass.

6. ( car one ) The car moves forward, the tires go around while the engine spins :willy:

Off to read the answers :leaving:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 7:03pm
2. the vacuum will "torque" / twist when it's turned on due to less mass.

6. ( car one ) The car moves forward, the tires go around while the engine spins :willy:

Off to read the answers :leaving:

2. is correct.
6. is.....well....needs work. :D

DAB
03-25-2012, 8:25pm
Good ones. Was in concealed carry class all day.