PDA

View Full Version : I Made Money From Junk Today

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 3:30pm
I finally got rid of the remaining scrap that I had laying around, from when I bought the old farm house..
1) Box for the back of a tractor
2) Disc for the back of a tractor
3)Fridge
4) welding table
5) Various other farm implements
And still need to get rid of the last two items. The barn is now free of all metal junk, and I can now eliminate anything else, curb side.
Just one more step in the process...
I split the proceeds with a friends son, who has a flat bed and winch, and so far the total is $480.00....
I'm happy...It's gone, and I have a little caish...:seasix:
The farm stuff...Bad pic, but a pic none the less.
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/jeff79/DSC03342.jpg

The remaining stuff he's getting tomorrow morning.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/jeff79/DSC03587.jpg

CertInsaneC5
03-24-2012, 3:49pm
That plow is too big for your lawn mower. :leaving:

78SA
03-24-2012, 4:29pm
:shots:

Bill
03-24-2012, 4:32pm
I would have considered keeping the old farm implements. Lots of folks clean them up a bit, paint them, and use them as "country yard art"....and I don't mean like rusty-car-on-blocks-in-the-front-yard kinda art. That plow would be kinda cool at the end of your driveway, by your mailbox, for example. Seems a shame to sell them for scrap.

OddBall
03-24-2012, 4:34pm
Damn, I was wantin' that weldin' table :Jeff '79:

mrvette
03-24-2012, 4:35pm

That plow looks antique to me, maybe sell it for more money??

got NO clue as to value/worth the effort or not.....just that it looks like from 1800's or something....

:cert:

JRD77VET
03-24-2012, 6:40pm
I finally got rid of the remaining scrap that I had laying around, from when I bought the old farm house..
1) Box for the back of a tractor
2) Disc for the back of a tractor
3)Fridge
4) welding table
5) Various other farm implements
And still need to get rid of the last two items. The barn is now free of all metal junk, and I can now eliminate anything else, curb side.
Just one more step in the process...
I split the proceeds with a friends son, who has a flat bed and winch, and so far the total is $480.00....
I'm happy...It's gone, and I have a little caish...:seasix:
The farm stuff...Bad pic, but a pic none the less.
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/jeff79/DSC03342.jpg

The remaining stuff he's getting tomorrow morning.

So you live on a farm, have a big ass barn and you got rid of a welding table?

Oh, you're not really going to scrap that antique plow are you? :toetap:

I think you've clobbered your head a few too many times lurch :slap:

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 6:43pm
So you live on a farm, have a big ass barn and you got rid of a welding table?

Oh, you're not really going to scrap that antique plow are you? :toetap:

I think you've clobbered your head a few too many times lurch :slap:

It was a small welding table, and what the hell am I gonna do with a plow ? The wheels don't even match. And that's Mr. Lurch to you....

JRD77VET
03-24-2012, 6:47pm
It was a small welding table, and what the hell am I gonna do with a plow ? The wheels don't even match. And that's Mr. Lurch to you....

Put the plow on craigslist for just over scrap value. At least somebody who appreciates what made our country great will get it instead of ending up in Japan or some other country that purchases our scrap.

:nutkick: lurch

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 6:51pm
Put the plow on craigslist for just over scrap value. At least somebody who appreciates what made our country great will get it instead of ending up in Japan or some other country that purchases our scrap.

:nutkick: lurch

Just for kicking me in the balls, it's going on the flatbed in the morning.:kick:

kingpin
03-24-2012, 6:55pm

Is that one on the right one of Mr. Vettes S&M machines that he built. :D

JRD77VET
03-24-2012, 6:56pm
Just for kicking me in the balls, it's going on the flatbed in the morning.:kick:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/JRD77VET/gif/sniped.gif

Actually I figured your wife would be after me for kicking her purse :lolsmile:

lspencer534
03-24-2012, 7:07pm
Zee plow: It could be anwhere from 1800s to 1940s. I was gonna say horse, mule, or oxen-pulled because of the hitch, but I don't understand what the rope is for, so maybe it was tractor-drawn.

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 7:36pm
Zee plow: It could be anwhere from 1800s to 1940s. I was gonna say horse, mule, or oxen-pulled because of the hitch, but I don't understand what the rope is for, so maybe it was tractor-drawn.

Well, it was a working farm from 1930-1956, so you're right in the ball park Spence.

kingpin
03-24-2012, 7:42pm
Well, it was a working farm from 1930-1956, so you're right in the ball park Spence.

No need to inflate his ego. :D

I bet knooger thought this was about you selling your "junk". ;)

lspencer534
03-24-2012, 7:52pm
No need to inflate his ego. :D

I bet knooger thought this was about you selling your "junk". ;)

Better to have an inflated ego than an inflatable penis. :rofl:

island14
03-24-2012, 8:40pm
I sure hope it is not too late, and you have not scrapped this yet...

Put it on Craigs list for $1000 or best offer!

Serious dood, a lot of people collect that stuff and it is worth at least $500 :yesnod:

island14
03-24-2012, 8:47pm
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/German-Festival-Midieval-Lenten-Woman-Plow-Pulling-Contest-Antique-Art-Print-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDY2/$(KGrHqJ,!iQE89KfjUM9BPQWDIqOG!~~60_57.JPG

Or have your wife pull it for the garden :lol:

Blademaker
03-24-2012, 8:49pm
I used to own a scrap metal business.
I have 2 houses filled with antiques that people would throw away and assume they were junk/worthless.
The welding table.........Oh man........

JRD77VET
03-24-2012, 8:51pm
I have 2 houses filled with antiques that people would throw away and assume they were junk/worthless.

Steve, meet at my house before we knock some some sense into him? :D

Blademaker
03-24-2012, 8:59pm
Steve, meet at my house before we knock some some sense into him? :D

:yesnod:

All the stuff I drug home........my wife still has all the cool antiques, I still have a lot of stuff in the basement.
But the brass signal cannon bought some $$$.
Still have a lot of turn of the century, up to the 30's and 40's stuff.
Including 2 japanese swords that were "bring backs" from WW2
I could go on and on.....

JRD77VET
03-24-2012, 9:16pm
:yesnod:

All the stuff I drug home........my wife still has all the cool antiques, I still have a lot of stuff in the basement.
But the brass signal cannon bought some $$$.
Still have a lot of turn of the century, up to the 30's and 40's stuff.
Including 2 japanese swords that were "bring backs" from WW2
I could go on and on.....

My neighbor "scraps". That paid his entire oil bill for heating plus paid for the family vacation :seasix:

island14
03-24-2012, 9:17pm

I used to Junk when I was a Teen, had a 63 Chevy Truck I had bought for $100 to be my workhorse.

I was amazed at all the good stuff that was scrapped, and sometimes would buy stuff for resale while I was there by the pound also.

But in hindsight, I also scrapped a lot of stuff that was worth way more than selling it for $20 a ton.

I also had access to a wrecker, and wanna shoot myself for all the 50's, and 60's cars I scrapped, some I should have at least salvaged parts.

JMS32935
03-25-2012, 8:14am
... but I don't understand what the rope is for, so maybe it was tractor-drawn.

The controls are all on the hitch end where a tractor driver can reach, means it was designed for tractor, which means after 1900. My father had some old stuff that was converted from horse-drawn, and those had controls at the back (and a seat for the operator there).

That rope is to activate a mechanism on one wheel that lifts the plow blade out of the ground. Pull once to start it lifting, pull again to drop it back down.

And BTW, that's the reason the wheels are different. The wheel with cleats has to turn the lift mechanism, and needs extra traction to do that. The smooth wheel is just an idler.

:needcoffee: :cert:

lspencer534
03-25-2012, 8:26am
The controls are all on the hitch end where a tractor driver can reach, means it was designed for tractor, which means after 1900. My father had some old stuff that was converted from horse-drawn, and those had controls at the back (and a seat for the operator there).

That rope is to activate a mechanism on one wheel that lifts the plow blade out of the ground. Pull once to start it lifting, pull again to drop it back down.

And BTW, that's the reason the wheels are different. The wheel with cleats has to turn the lift mechanism, and needs extra traction to do that. The smooth wheel is just an idler.

:needcoffee: :cert:

Makes perfect sense. Thanks! :cert:

mrvette
03-25-2012, 12:32pm
Is that one on the right one of Mr. Vettes S&M machines that he built. :D

:hurray::kimblair::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man, that's been a while, we all involved in those projects, maybe10? years ago, still laugh our asses off over it......saw the welder buddy yesterday, he cleaned and fixed the power window regulator lower mount on my 40 y/o vette...the metal got a tad tired, just snapped a piece about 060 thick and 1.5" wide, go figger, and I just got that POS back together yesterday, and again this AM for the window itself....I"d rather do a damn transmission than them damn freeking DOORS....:dance::cert: