PDA

View Full Version : Possible Germany move

thegreenman
03-24-2012, 12:37pm
I might have a chance to move to Germany and I would like to ship my Vette. Anyone aware of the laws over there regarding smog, noise or anything else that might cause issues?

My 2008 coupe has a TVS2300 supercharger, kooks headers and Billy Boat exhaust (a little load).

I am thinking the autobahn could be a lot of fun. :driving:

Yerf Dog
03-24-2012, 1:54pm

:iagree:

And German beer. :datawiz::seasix:

Poog
03-24-2012, 2:01pm
I know they have some pretty strict noise laws.

Bill
03-24-2012, 2:15pm

:iagree:

And German beer. :datawiz::seasix:

Not at the same time, of course......

thegreenman
03-24-2012, 2:39pm
Not at the same time, of course......

I heard the drinking and driving laws there are harsher over there than here in the US.

CertInsaneC5
03-24-2012, 2:49pm
I might have a chance to move to Germany and I would like to ship my Vette. Anyone aware of the laws over there regarding smog, noise or anything else that might cause issues?

My 2008 coupe has a TVS2300 supercharger, kooks headers and Billy Boat exhaust (a little load).

They are not going to like that part for sure. :sadangel:

thegreenman
03-24-2012, 3:02pm
They are not going to like that part for sure. :sadangel:

I wonder since I have the BB Fusions if closed they would pass their inspection?

Do they go by a db level?

VatorMan
03-24-2012, 4:30pm
You will have a blast over there. I love Germany. Where will you be at ?

PortDawg
03-24-2012, 5:55pm

We need to talk...Spent 16 years there....

thegreenman
03-24-2012, 5:56pm
You will have a blast over there. I love Germany. Where will you be at ?

Possibly Ramstien. I just talked to my boss, he knows I am interested in the position.

PortDawg
03-24-2012, 5:57pm
Possibly Ramstien. I just talked to my boss, he knows I am interested in the position.

My son is stationed there....

thegreenman
03-24-2012, 6:00pm
We need to talk...Spent 16 years there....

Sweet, we will have to meet up somewhere.

I am still working on the house to sell, but if I get the Germany job I will probably leave my family here so my Son can finsih college.

PortDawg
03-24-2012, 6:05pm
The next couple weeks will be rough but after that...

You're gonna have to change your tail lights and side lights to Euro style.

If you get it, I'll shoot you my kids e-mail address and he can give you the low down. It's going to depend a lot on your "status" when you go over there.

The drivers test is a painful experience....

themonk
03-24-2012, 6:29pm
Call your local German consulate, I'm pretty sure they'd have better answers than what you'll ever find in here.

PortDawg
03-24-2012, 6:31pm
Call your local German consulate, I'm pretty sure they'd have better answers than what you'll ever find in here.

Not really. If he gets SOFA protections in his Contract, the rules are differents and are controlled by USAREUR. The Consulate doesn't play by the same rules....

But this is a good place to look ! http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/

themonk
03-24-2012, 6:57pm
Not really. If he gets SOFA protections in his Contract, the rules are differents and are controlled by USAREUR. The Consulate doesn't play by the same rules....

But this is a good place to look ! Untitled 1 (http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/)

Really, I'd figure that smog rules apply to all cars regardless of who owns them, interesting.

thegreenman
03-24-2012, 7:31pm
I will be here in VA for about three weeks, heading out of state for a couple weeks mid April. When I come back to town my time around here could be day-by-day depending on the hits I get and timing of events.

I don't know if it would fall under SOFA, I am assuming I would since it is a DoD contractor position. My previous boss took his caddy over and didn't have any problems, I will be contacting him to see what he has to say.

Thanks for the link, minor changes to be legal in Germany will not be a problem, if I have to change the exhaust or reverse other mods I will probably leave the Vette here.

'77Babe
03-25-2012, 12:23pm
Really, I'd figure that smog rules apply to all cars regardless of who owns them, interesting.
You'd be surprised at what passes US inspection that the Germans would NEVER let you get through with. :lol:

I will be here in VA for about three weeks, heading out of state for a couple weeks mid April. When I come back to town my time around here could be day-by-day depending on the hits I get and timing of events.

I don't know if it would fall under SOFA, I am assuming I would since it is a DoD contractor position. My previous boss took his caddy over and didn't have any problems, I will be contacting him to see what he has to say.

Thanks for the link, minor changes to be legal in Germany will not be a problem, if I have to change the exhaust or reverse other mods I will probably leave the Vette here.

DoD should give you Sofa, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to bring your car over. Only thing I would really worry about is tinted windows, which you didn't mention. You won't need to change anything to Euro spec if you fall under Sofa.
I don't know what they are like in Ramstein, but I wouldn't worry about an exhaust that is a little loud.

If you make it here before June: LE MANS. :cert:

thegreenman
03-25-2012, 12:50pm
You'd be surprised at what passes US inspection that the Germans would NEVER let you get through with. :lol:

DoD should give you Sofa, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to bring your car over. Only thing I would really worry about is tinted windows, which you didn't mention. You won't need to change anything to Euro spec if you fall under Sofa.
I don't know what they are like in Ramstein, but I wouldn't worry about an exhaust that is a little loud.

If you make it here before June: LE MANS. :cert:

I have tinted windows and read I would have to removed, that shouldn't be a big deal.

With my exhaust flaps closed it is about what the NPP exhaust sounds like opened, with my flaps open can be heard a healthy distance away.

I need to find out if I would be tax exempt shipping the Vette over. I read the military is but I don't know if it would apply to me or not, I would be considered TDY for at least a year.

The guy I would be replacing wants to come back June for tax reasons. I have begun the emails to see if this move is possible.

'77Babe
03-25-2012, 10:30pm
I have tinted windows and read I would have to removed, that shouldn't be a big deal.

With my exhaust flaps closed it is about what the NPP exhaust sounds like opened, with my flaps open can be heard a healthy distance away.

I need to find out if I would be tax exempt shipping the Vette over. I read the military is but I don't know if it would apply to me or not, I would be considered TDY for at least a year.

The guy I would be replacing wants to come back June for tax reasons. I have begun the emails to see if this move is possible.

In that case, you might want to keep them closed. :lol:

thegreenman
03-25-2012, 10:47pm
In that case, you might want to keep them closed. :lol:

That is like telling me to keep my mouth shut, possible but not likely to happen. :D

'77Babe
03-26-2012, 1:13pm
That is like telling me to keep my mouth shut, possible but not likely to happen. :D

At least keep it shut until inspection is over. :leaving:

Shrike6
03-26-2012, 3:46pm
If you are treated under the same rules as military under SOFA, you don't have to change anything. Just keep the flaps closed. If you can take the vette over. You will have the time of your life on the autobahn. Just expect $150+ to fill the tank.
:kimblair: hi '77 babe.

thegreenman
03-26-2012, 5:42pm
At least keep it shut until inspection is over. :leaving:

Will do. :datawiz:

thegreenman
03-26-2012, 5:44pm
If you are treated under the same rules as military under SOFA, you don't have to change anything. Just keep the flaps closed. If you can take the vette over. You will have the time of your life on the autobahn. Just expect $150+ to fill the tank.

Taking the Vette over will be on my dime and used mostly on days off. If I get the job, I will get something else over there for a daily driver.

63C2splitter
03-26-2012, 6:10pm
It has been a few years since I lived there, but the insurance on my Z28 was pretty expensive.

thegreenman
03-26-2012, 6:38pm
It has been a few years since I lived there, but the insurance on my Z28 was pretty expensive.

Thanks, I will have to check into the insurance.

thegreenman
03-26-2012, 6:45pm
Doing a little research, Germany db level is 95. Billy Boat web site states closed at idle should be 70dba, open 92dba. Since I have headers and TVS2300 it most likely will be a little higher. I ordered a db meter to see what numbers I get in a few days.

'77Babe
03-26-2012, 9:59pm
Gary! :cert:

If you fall under Sofa and get the Esso card, it won't be that bad. ;)

Taking the Vette over will be on my dime and used mostly on days off. If I get the job, I will get something else over there for a daily driver.
There will always be daily drivers available due to PCS.

Check USAA, again if you fall under SOFA, you should be fine.

Doing a little research, Germany db level is 95. Billy Boat web site states closed at idle should be 70dba, open 92dba. Since I have headers and TVS2300 it most likely will be a little higher. I ordered a db meter to see what numbers I get in a few days.
US inspections tend to be a bit more lenient. Again, I have no idea how lenient Ramstein is, but I would not worry all too much.

thegreenman
04-02-2012, 8:15pm
Gary! :cert:

If you fall under Sofa and get the Esso card, it won't be that bad. ;)

There will always be daily drivers available due to PCS.

Check USAA, again if you fall under SOFA, you should be fine.

US inspections tend to be a bit more lenient. Again, I have no idea how lenient Ramstein is, but I would not worry all too much.

If I don’t fall under SOFA maybe my USAF retired ID will help.

I am a USAA member already, hope that will help.

I am hearing the US inspectors are hit and miss.

I have made higher ups mad so I might not be considered for it now, time will tell.

Shrike6
04-02-2012, 9:22pm
Being retired in Germany won't get you much anymore. No more bennys.

thegreenman
04-02-2012, 9:29pm
Being retired in Germany won't get you much anymore. No more bennys.

Bummer, some other countries it doesn't help either. As long as I fall under SOFA, I will still volunteer to go if I get the option.

'77Babe
04-02-2012, 10:17pm
If I don’t fall under SOFA maybe my USAF retired ID will help.

I am a USAA member already, hope that will help.

I am hearing the US inspectors are hit and miss.

I have made higher ups mad so I might not be considered for it now, time will tell.

I hope it all works out for you. :cert:

thegreenman
04-03-2012, 5:03pm
I hope it all works out for you. :cert:

Thanks. :datawiz:

ASTROCREEP
04-04-2012, 1:51am
I spotted this at the Nurburgring on Saturday.
If you come to Germany you must go to the ring and do a few laps!
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/astrocreep13/Z061.jpg
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/astrocreep13/Z062.jpg
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/astrocreep13/Z063.jpg

thegreenman
04-04-2012, 4:01pm
The Nurburgring would be a blast to run, thanks for the pics. Everthing I am being told about going to Germany is all positive.