PDA

View Full Version : HVAC people!!

Thud
03-24-2012, 8:24am
The draft inducer motor in my upstairs furnace keeps cycling on/off every few seconds, even when the system is set to "off" or cool.

Should I hit it with a hammer or is there something more delicate I should try?

DAB
03-24-2012, 8:30am
Double tap it. :thehandle:

Cybercowboy
03-24-2012, 9:15am
I had that happen before. In my case it was not getting a signal from the controller board that the furnace is lit. I think it was just a bad thermocouple but can't remember for sure since I had the controller replaced and also the fan itself replaced because when this happened the guy noticed that the lead to the winding was about to fall off (the wire was almost completely broke where the connection to the winding was, and there as no way to repair it...)

No, wait. I remember now. It was like this:

Fan would start.
Furnace would just begin to light and then it would turn off, including the fan.
Rinse, repeat.

The controller board wasn't getting the signal that the flue fan was running, aborting the lighting process. And I think it had to do with that wire being broke. At any rate, you need to have the guy come out and give it a once-over.

ConstantChange
03-24-2012, 9:15am
Double tap it. :thehandle:

http://207.199.174.56/img/KBgvtOGwYj_id-hit-it-two-times.jpg

04 commemorative
03-24-2012, 11:48am
A/C tech took you to cleaners.
Flame sensor your problem.:yesnod:

was just gonna say same thing...I took mine out and cleaned it ....was fine

Bill
03-24-2012, 1:31pm
As a practical matter, OP, if you are in Atlanta, this is a decision you can defer to about December if you simply shut off the breaker for your heater(s).

Plus, if the MMGW folks are right, you might not need it next Winter, either.