PDA

View Full Version : I'm home from the hospital

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 7:43am
Thank you everyone for your support, prayers, good thoughts and good humor!

:cert:

VITE1
03-24-2012, 7:44am
:hurray::hurray::hurray::dance::dance::dance:

GS Ragtop
03-24-2012, 7:45am
:cert::cert:

Good to hear. Lap band gone or reinstalled?

CertInsaneC5
03-24-2012, 7:46am
:hurray::groupwave::party:

Glad to hear everything turned out ok. :cert:

Defib1961
:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Loco Vette
:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

OddBall

How ya feelin'?

Blademaker
03-24-2012, 7:47am
:hurray::dance:

Marc
03-24-2012, 7:48am

wwomanC6
03-24-2012, 7:50am
:groupwave:

:cert:

Sea Six
03-24-2012, 7:50am
Very glad to hear the news!

:hurray:

78SA
03-24-2012, 7:52am
:dance::hurray:

Olustee bus
03-24-2012, 7:52am
take it easy.

CBonsall
03-24-2012, 7:53am
:hurray:

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 8:01am
:cert::cert:

Good to hear. Lap band gone or reinstalled?

Gone :D

VatorMan
03-24-2012, 8:11am
Good to hear. :hurray::hurray:

DAB
03-24-2012, 8:32am
Did you get a cool scar with a Hello Kitty bandaid??

Glad you are home. :hurray:

Mike Mercury
03-24-2012, 8:48am

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-9v7F580ZQbM/TebJeLjaWLI/AAAAAAAAB78/nSJU-_u66Ng/emerson%252520week%2525202%252520081_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

vetteman9368
03-24-2012, 8:57am
Glad you are home and doing better Shannonanonanonanon

Woody
03-24-2012, 8:57am
:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Feel better soon Twizzler-babe.

ConstantChange
03-24-2012, 9:05am
That's great! Hope you get back to 100% really soon! :seasix:

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 9:34am

Glad you are home. :hurray:

They tried to give me Hello Kitty pasties but I said maybe next time.

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 9:57am
They tried to give me Hello Kitty pasties but I said maybe next time.

DAMMIT !!!.....:sadangel:.....:rofl:

So, what are the ramifications of keeping the band on, as opposed to taking it off ?
Is the muscle memory to the point of continuing to be able to only ingest small amounts of food at a time , or will that area stretch to the original size, allowing the subsequent weight gain, once again ?
There was a thread about this before, but no one could answer that.

At any rate, glad to hear your outta there, and on your way to recovery...:seasix:

MrPeabody
03-24-2012, 10:01am
Glad to hear you're home.:hurray:

Truck Guy
03-24-2012, 10:28am
:cert: Glad you're OK!

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 10:46am
DAMMIT !!!.....:sadangel:.....:rofl:

So, what are the ramifications of keeping the band on, as opposed to taking it off ?
Is the muscle memory to the point of continuing to be able to only ingest small amounts of food at a time , or will that area stretch to the original size, allowing the subsequent weight gain, once again ?
There was a thread about this before, but no one could answer that.

At any rate, glad to hear your outta there, and on your way to recovery...:seasix:

Great question.

With the band off, there will be no restrictions on how much food can be consumed. It will be up to me to control my portions and what I eat. I will be working with the doctor who removed it for alternative ways to keep the weight off.

It will be difficult but I am up for the challenge. I've learned how much food I can eat to maintain and how much to eat to lose. I have no intention of gaining the weight back. Healthy food choices, portion control and exercise.

LisaJohn
03-24-2012, 10:55am
Glad you are home.

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 10:58am
PS. I was so dehydrated I gained 20lbs in water weight during my 2 day hospital visit.

Vet4jdc
03-24-2012, 10:58am
Great question.

With the band off, there will be no restrictions on how much food can be consumed. It will be up to me to control my portions and what I eat. I will be working with the doctor who removed it for alternative ways to keep the weight off.

It will be difficult but I am up for the challenge. I've learned how much food I can eat to maintain and how much to eat to lose. I have no intention of gaining the weight back. Healthy food choices, portion control and exercise.

Great plan! After going thru all you have....you don't want to gain back.

Best of luck to you and glad you're feeling better! :seasix:

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 11:09am
Great plan! After going thru all you have....you don't want to gain back.

Best of luck to you and glad you're feeling better! :seasix:

Amen!!!!! I took off 50+ lbs prior to the surgery and kept it off for 5 years. Just struggled getting the rest off. Now that I have it off, I am determined to be vigilant and keep it off.

Sea Six
03-24-2012, 11:13am
Amen!!!!! I took off 50+ lbs prior to the surgery and kept it off for 5 years. Just struggled getting the rest off. Now that I have it off, I am determined to be vigilant and keep it off.

Way to go, Shannon! You can do it! :seasix:

04 commemorative
03-24-2012, 11:14am
Glad you are home and doing good. Good luck in your plans!

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 11:21am
Well....You do have your work cut out for you.
DISCIPLINE, and CHOICES will be you toughest challenges, but you can do it !
You will have to resign yourself to a lifestyle that you many not initially like, but you will get used to, and come to love, because of the healthy results that you will achieve.
I recommend getting this book off Amazon immediately, reading it, and using it as your Bible.The diet regimen alone is worth the price, and it is so logical, that it really works....
Yes. I'll reiterate, that it's a LIFESTYLE change, but for your health, and beauty's sake, as well as your family's, just do it....:cert:

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/jeff79/BodyForLife.jpg

Bill
03-24-2012, 11:29am
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-9v7F580ZQbM/TebJeLjaWLI/AAAAAAAAB78/nSJU-_u66Ng/emerson%252520week%2525202%252520081_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Holy Smokes! Those lap bands must really work great. Makes the patient look younger, also, apparently.

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 11:32am
Well....You do have your work cut out for you.
DISCIPLINE, and CHOICES will be you toughest challenges, but you can do it !
You will have to resign yourself to a lifestyle that you many not initially like, but you will get used to, and come to love, because of the healthy results that you will achieve.
I recommend getting this book off Amazon immediately, reading it, and using it as your Bible.The diet regimen alone is worth the price, and it is so logical, that it really works....
Yes. I'll reiterate, that it's a LIFESTYLE change, but for your health, and beauty's sake, as well as your family's, so just do it....:cert:

Thanks Jeff. I plan on following my lap band diet which was successful for me, taking off 85 lbs. I'm used to it because I've been doing it for 2 years. Only healthy carbs (found in veggies), no white starches, almost no per-packaged food. My lap band stomach could hold about 4 oz of food at a time. That is what I am used to eating now. I don't drink soda (liquid fat) and keep my alcohol consumption to a couple drinks a week.

I have an exercise routine so I will stick to that as well. It's a balance of cardio & weights plus Bikram Yoga.

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 11:39am
Thanks Jeff. I plan on following my lap band diet which was successful for me, taking off 85 lbs. I'm used to it because I've been doing it for 2 years. Only healthy carbs (found in veggies), no white starches, almost no per-packaged food. My lap band stomach could hold about 4 oz of food at a time. That is what I am used to eating now. I don't drink soda (liquid fat) and keep my alcohol consumption to a couple drinks a week.

I have an exercise routine so I will stick to that as well. It's a balance of cardio & weights plus Bikram Yoga.

Read the book.... Just get another perspective....There may be some overlap, but it can't hurt.... I found that eating 6 times per day , but eating smaller portions, is the key, as well as what you eat.
I wish you the best of luck.......:seasix:

btw, is the lap band just a temporary thing in all patients ?

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 11:53am
Read the book.... Just get another perspective....There may be some overlap, but it can't hurt.... I found that eating 6 times per day , but eating smaller portions, is the key, as well as what you eat.
I wish you the best of luck.......:seasix:

btw, is the lap band just a temporary thing in all patients ?

I will definitely pick up the book, thank you.

No, the band is meant to be permanent (but is removable unlike gastric bypass which cannot be undone). However, mine slipped meaning my stomach got twisted around it making it impossible for food or liquid to pass. This is why I got so dehydrated. They had no choice but to remove it. If I want, once I have healed, they could re-evaluate and put a new one in but I don't want that. I had a lot of trouble with it. It took the weight off but, I was sick all the time.

Sea Six
03-24-2012, 11:55am
I will definitely pick up the book, thank you.

No, the band is meant to be permanent (but is removable unlike gastric bypass which cannot be undone). However, mine slipped meaning my stomach got twisted around it making it impossible for food or liquid to pass. This is why I got so dehydrated. They had no choice but to remove it. If I want, once I have healed, they could re-evaluate and put a new one in but I don't want that. I had a lot of trouble with it. It took the weight off but, I was sick all the time.

What other problems did you have?

GS Ragtop
03-24-2012, 12:12pm
What other problems did you have?

:waiting:

My SIL also had a Lap-band installed. She had it done 2 years ago in Mexico - there was a clinic in Mazatlan that specialized in the Lap-band surgeries. Other than the typical user complaints about difficulties eating fibrous foods like chicken or steak, she's had very few problems (after getting used to eating small portions very slowly).

Weight is slowly coming off; I think she's down about 40 pounds and is targeting about a 75-pound weight drop.

I didn't know if the typical user is able to keep the band on for life or if eventually it needs to come out. Sounds like it's a lifetime deal if no problems like Butterfly's develop.

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 12:35pm
:waiting:

My SIL also had a Lap-band installed. She had it done 2 years ago in Mexico - there was a clinic in Mazatlan that specialized in the Lap-band surgeries. Other than the typical user complaints about difficulties eating fibrous foods like chicken or steak, she's had very few problems (after getting used to eating small portions very slowly).

Weight is slowly coming off; I think she's down about 40 pounds and is targeting about a 75-pound weight drop.

I didn't know if the typical user is able to keep the band on for life or if eventually it needs to come out. Sounds like it's a lifetime deal if no problems like Butterfly's develop.

I had food sensitivities that I wasn't aware of until the band. I think because of the smaller stomach created. It made eating out nearly impossible because one of my biggest triggers was something (I don't know what) widely used in restaurants and found in various other foods. It would happen with something as simple as soup. As soon as I swallowed it, I would fee like there was a baseball in my chest and have to bring it up. It would be a thick bubble like substance. Also, milk (even fat-free) would curdle as soon as I swallowed it. Weird stuff like that.

Jeff '79
03-24-2012, 12:46pm
I had food sensitivities that I wasn't aware of until the band. I think because of the smaller stomach created. It made eating out nearly impossible because one of my biggest triggers was something (I don't know what) widely used in restaurants and found in various other foods. It would happen with something as simple as soup. As soon as I swallowed it, I would fee like there was a baseball in my chest and have to bring it up. It would be a thick bubble like substance. Also, milk (even fat-free) would curdle as soon as I swallowed it. Weird stuff like that.

Wow, that sucks....I take eating for granted......Damn....

GS Ragtop
03-24-2012, 12:50pm

Same exact symptoms described by my SIL. When she eats certain foods, she gets a tight feeling in her chest and must bring up the mouthful that's not going into her stomach. When brought up, it's like thick saliva - she described it as sometimes like a 'bubble'. Odd that you'd both described it in the same way.

She has to be VERY careful in restaurants or at friend's homes. Often I see her quietly heading to the rest room in the middle of a meal. Weird, though, that most often she gets her appetite back and can finish her meal without problem.

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 1:24pm
Same exact symptoms described by my SIL. When she eats certain foods, she gets a tight feeling in her chest and must bring up the mouthful that's not going into her stomach. When brought up, it's like thick saliva - she described it as sometimes like a 'bubble'. Odd that you'd both described it in the same way.

She has to be VERY careful in restaurants or at friend's homes. Often I see her quietly heading to the rest room in the middle of a meal. Weird, though, that most often she gets her appetite back and can finish her meal without problem.

Interesting. And my doctor didn't really believe me. I am going with the doctor who took it out. He is more personable and acts like he genuinely cares.

I can't complain too much. It did its job. It is a tool part of an overall package for success.

I didn't have a choice of taking it out because of the slippage but I do have the opportunity to put in a new one at a later date if I am unsuccessful at keeping the weight off on my own. That being said, I believe I have learned a lot these past 2 years and I am determined to keep the weight off.

Butterfly71
03-24-2012, 1:26pm
Wow, that sucks....I take eating for granted......Damn....

It also caused major problems if I was stressed. Everything would swell and I wouldn't be able to keep anything down.

Bill
03-24-2012, 1:29pm
Interesting. And my doctor didn't really believe me. I am going with the doctor who took it out. He is more personable and acts like he genuinely cares.

I can't complain too much. It did its job. It is a tool part of an overall package for success.

I didn't have a choice of taking it out because of the slippage but I do have the opportunity to put in a new one at a later date if I am unsuccessful at keeping the weight off on my own. That being said, I believe I have learned a lot these past 2 years and I am determined to keep the weight off.

Good luck. I know how hard keeping weight off is.

oyealiz
03-24-2012, 2:10pm
Glad you're feeling better, girl!

Fasglas
03-24-2012, 2:22pm
Good to learn all is well.
:seasix:

Rotorhead
03-24-2012, 4:12pm
good deal!

JRD77VET
03-24-2012, 6:44pm
Good to hear you're home :seasix:

Butterfly71
03-25-2012, 10:17am
Thank you!

Knowing that I was going to work next week, my cousin came over and cleaned the house. That girl is a power house! She vacuumed, dusted, washed my floors including my wood floors throughout the house. Washed tubs, sinks, you name it. It was the nicest thing someone could have done for me. Love that girl.

island14
03-25-2012, 10:40am
Welcome Home! :cert:

onedef92
03-26-2012, 8:49am
Glad you're back home, Shannon. :hurray:

Like my Dad always said, "a little sickness is often the best preventive medicine."

Healthy food choices, portion control and exercise is the way to go. :seasix:

Bucwheat
03-26-2012, 8:52am
Glad your home and doing well Shannon.