PDA

View Full Version : Never get between a fireman and his ice cream.

Firevette
03-23-2012, 11:25am
Especially if its my buddy Dickerson.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm already calling him Captain Blue Bell...and its starting to stick.:lol:

Firefighters turned away from Harris County Dairy Queen | khou.com Houston (http://www.khou.com/news/cnn/Firefighters-turned-away-from-Harris-County-Dairy-Queen-143876866.html)

Stangkiller
03-23-2012, 11:27am
I guess it's better than Captain Blue Balls. Speaking of which, how was your date?

VatorMan
03-23-2012, 11:28am
No "Thank you come again" from that guy.

Firevette
03-23-2012, 11:31am
I guess it's better than Captain Blue Balls. Speaking of which, how was your date?

Had fun...will probably go out with her again. :yesnod:

Kevin_73
03-23-2012, 11:33am
Let's hope that DQ doesn't have a fire anytime in the near future. I have a sneaking suspicion that the response time will be quite long for that address.

Firevette
03-23-2012, 11:37am
Let's hope that DQ doesn't have a fire anytime in the near future.

Wouldn't be the first time we've been there on a call.

Bill
03-23-2012, 11:41am
I saw that on the local news. It looks like a true misunderstanding.

The truck was clearly too large to park in the small DQ parking lot. It's also possible the manager figured having the pumper truck outside was bad for business, with potential customers thinking maybe there was a problem and choosing to go elsewhere.

I can see how the firefighters might take that the wrong way.

When I pull a trailer, I have to be cognizant of parking when stopping, and usually ask the folks in the store if I am OK where I am parked before I get any further.

DQ offered to comp a meal for the whole station. The firefighters should be gracious enough to accept and put it behind them.

Bucwheat
03-23-2012, 11:52am
A lot of Aliens are buying up DQs

onedef92
03-23-2012, 12:33pm
Less risk of getting robbed/shot than a 7/11. :leaving:

For now....... :leaving:

C5Nate
03-23-2012, 12:47pm
I have a question.

Why are they allowed to drive huge, fuel guzzling, expensive fire equipment to get an ice cream cone in the first place?

Don’t they have their own personal transportation to get their own food with?

Bill
03-23-2012, 12:57pm
I have a question.

Why are they allowed to drive huge, fuel guzzling, expensive fire equipment to get an ice cream cone in the first place?

I'm guessing the answer is twofold.

One, if there actually is a fire they need to put out, they have all their work tools with them, so they don't need to hot-foot (pun intended) it back to the station to pick up the truck.

The other possibility is that, like all machinery, it needs to be run periodically to keep everything working properly. Most of what FD's handle on a regular basis seems to be ambulance related calls. That means the pumper and ladder trucks probably don't get out much, so it makes sense to exercise them so they don't become fluid leaking garage queens with flat spots on the tires.

Jobaka
03-23-2012, 1:02pm
I have a question.

Probably in case they get a call.

Firefighters eat in a Chinese restaurant that we use to frequent. I don't think they ever got through a meal without getting a call. The staff would take their food to the kitchen and keep it warm until they came back to finish. It's just part of the job.

I get your point, though. They probably could send the new guy out in his own car for snacks and such.

C5Nate
03-23-2012, 1:05pm
I'm guessing the answer is twofold.

One, if there actually is a fire they need to put out, they have all their work tools with them, so they don't need to hot-foot (pun intended) it back to the station to pick up the truck.

So, they load up all of their gear that they wear just to get an ice cream cone?

Seems it would be a lot easier to send a gopher out for an ice cream run.

The other possibility is that, like all machinery, it needs to be run periodically to keep everything working properly. Most of what FD's handle on a regular basis seems to be ambulance related calls. That means the pumper and ladder trucks probably don't get out much, so it makes sense to exercise them so they don't become fluid leaking garage queens with flat spots on the tires.

Most fire departments run on other calls other than fire such as car accidents, ambulance calls, life flight landings, etc. I doubt if "don't get out much" is an issue.

Just dont seem to make sense.

Bill
03-23-2012, 1:25pm
Just dont seem to make sense.
I see your point. I'll wait on the OP to explain the methodology and reasoning, then.

Firevette
03-26-2012, 4:04pm
I have a question.

What happens when we get a call? Sorry, no truck, no gear, you're ****ed.

See above.

So, they load up all of their gear that they wear just to get an ice cream cone?

See above.

Seems it would be a lot easier to send a gopher out for an ice cream run.

Probably in case they get a call.

Firefighters eat in a Chinese restaurant that we use to frequent. I don't think they ever got through a meal without getting a call. The staff would take their food to the kitchen and keep it warm until they came back to finish. It's just part of the job.

I get your point, though. They probably could send the new guy out in his own car for snacks and such.

:seasix:

I'd love to have a gopher. Who wants to pony up the tax dollars to pay him? The "new guy" is always a must have part of the crew.

Most departments (like mine) run 3 man crews. Not a whole lot 2 people can do safely.(not saying I haven't had to do it before) 4 man crews are preferred but most of the time the funding isn't approved untill someone dies. :yesnod:

Rotorhead
03-26-2012, 4:06pm
Childish bullshit that government employees worry about. :rolleyes: