PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever make fulgurite artificially?

Rotorhead
03-22-2012, 7:48pm
A pilot showed me a picture of some odd nature/ man made sculpture and I was like :wtf:.

He told me a story about the violent lightning storms he experienced as a kid, and what his father taught him to keep him calm and excited about the storms.

they would rush to the beach when a storm was coming and drive a 2' peice of rebar into the sand to attract a lightning strike, slightly exposed and the come after the storm to find masterpeices buried under the sand.

I have quite a few "Saudi Diamonds" made from sand and lightning, but this is really cool. Check this out.

Fulgurites: High-Glass Digs Where Lightning Goes To Die | WebEcoist (http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/11/03/fulgurites-high-glass-digs-where-lightning-goes-to-die/)

Jeff '79
03-22-2012, 7:56pm
Pretty cool. I never heard of that.....I think I'll have Liz try that, next storm..:seasix:

Defib1961
03-22-2012, 8:10pm
:cool1::cool1:

Bill
03-22-2012, 9:07pm
I made water a couple of hours ago, is that close?

Blademaker
03-23-2012, 8:38am
Interesting.......

mrvette
03-23-2012, 8:50am
I bet we got a few of them around my back yard and my neighbor's too, from two lightening strikes on tall oak trees, one of them split the trunk clean in two it was a yard in diameter and about 40' tall total height of tree were over 100' each.....

Years ago, the Feds had a agency, Harry Diamond Labs, off Conn ave NW in Wash DC, when they folded it into the NIST out in Gaithersburg Md, the old Diamond labs building was open to the public....

Inside that building was lines with 1/8" thick solid copper walls, about 4 stories high and about the size of a football field huge doors on one end, and in one corner there was these electrical discharge stack of doughnuts looking like a Frankenstein movie set.....

what they did in that room was generate lightening, doing research on how to store Army ammo in a ammo dump so that a storm or lightening occurance would not cause the dump to destroy itself.....

the copper was to the EMP from the tests would not destroy all the .com shit on Embassy Row, virtually next door.....

:rofl: