PDA

View Full Version : A big GIANT box on the porch

WKMCD
06-14-2010, 4:28pm
Big Brown stopped by today and dropped of my 6th catback system for the car.

1. Stock - blah
2. Corsa Indy's - got really loud with the H/C and LT's
3. Ti's - Too quiet
4. GHL Bullets - Got loud with the 403
5. Ti's again - Too quiet and restrictive so I added DMH cutouts

6. LG's Big 3 - a true 3 inch catback

An independent dyno showed that the difference between cutouts and the Big 3 is negligable. The Ti's on the 427 are just too restrictive and the car runs soooo much better with the cutouts open but that's not really practical to drive around.

I've already sold the Ti's and LG gave me a great deal on the Big 3. I'm having it installed at Roberts Custom Exhaust next week. I'm going to Roberts in case he needs to get creative to avoid rubbing the ECS tranny brace.

It's still a fairly quiet exhaust and has some nice tips on it. :dance:

Cobra4B
06-14-2010, 5:17pm
Cool any pics?

Y2Kvert4me
06-14-2010, 5:37pm
Good sounding yet mild system. :yesnod:

Too many joints and junk bandclamps is the downside of them though...Good luck keeping the tips in alignment unless your installer welds each connection or comes up with better clamps.

:cheers:

WKMCD
06-14-2010, 6:03pm
Good sounding yet mild system. :yesnod:

Too many joints and junk bandclamps is the downside of them though...Good luck keeping the tips in alignment unless your installer welds each connection or comes up with better clamps.

:cheers:

They upgraded the clamps but I'm going to have him tack the joints.

Sneaks
06-14-2010, 8:24pm
Get the camera ready! :thumbs:

McLeod
06-14-2010, 9:00pm
This is absolutely positively the last mod.:leaving:

Munch
06-14-2010, 9:03pm
Will there be before and after videos?

WKMCD
06-14-2010, 9:11pm
This is absolutely positively the last mod.:leaving:

This is more an addition to the rotation than a mod per se. :rofl:

Lowcash
06-14-2010, 9:28pm
Sweeet!

Peter Pan
06-15-2010, 8:56am
Kevin you will like them, I do like my SW 3" setup and I also needed to get rid of the restriction and the extra power is always there, now you will have some drone you did not have with the TIshttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/elsloan22/emotions/eagle.gif

ChasC5
06-23-2010, 9:39pm
Gota Love those Corsa's :yesnod:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/chasc5/IMG_0592.jpg

Sneaks
06-24-2010, 6:14am
Gota Love those Corsa's :yesnod:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/chasc5/IMG_0592.jpg

Uh, Chas.......he isn't talking about Corsas there brutha. :D

ChasC5
06-24-2010, 9:15am
Uh, Chas.......he isn't talking about Corsas there brutha. :D

:D I know ... Corsa's Pace Car w/LG Long Tube Headers = Just Right :cheers:

No need for on-off Exhaust, buy once, install once :yesnod:

Of course ... in my opinion. :D

WKMCD
06-24-2010, 10:33am
OK, got the Big 3 installed. A couple of comments. The clamps that come with them remain subpar. The installer ended up putting on some good clamps he had. The clamps that came with them would not tighten the pipe to the inner pipe. Not good. Getting clearance on the passenger side over the axle pipe was difficult but after much playing with it manage to get it centered between the frame and the transmission.

Now driving impressions. The exhaust has a nice rumble at idle and is not much louder than the Ti's accelerating. I would probably not recommend the Big 3 for A4 cars. There is a drone spot at 1600RPM. Easy enough to drive around with an M12.

The car definitely runs similarly to when the cutouts are open. The Ti's would choke things up a bit over 3/4 throttle and 5k RPM.

Overall, now that they are on - I'm a happy guy. The tips are HUGE and look great. If they are not Borla tips, they are very very similar.

Kevin

Sneaks
06-24-2010, 11:29am
:D I know ... Corsa's Pace Car w/LG Long Tube Headers = Just Right :cheers:

No need for on-off Exhaust, buy once, install once :yesnod:

Of course ... in my opinion. :D
Oh, well in that case, my bad. :D

OK, got the Big 3 installed. A couple of comments. The clamps that come with them remain subpar. The installer ended up putting on some good clamps he had. The clamps that came with them would not tighten the pipe to the inner pipe. Not good. Getting clearance on the passenger side over the axle pipe was difficult but after much playing with it manage to get it centered between the frame and the transmission.

Now driving impressions. The exhaust has a nice rumble at idle and is not much louder than the Ti's accelerating. I would probably not recommend the Big 3 for A4 cars. There is a drone spot at 1600RPM. Easy enough to drive around with an M12.

The car definitely runs similarly to when the cutouts are open. The Ti's would choke things up a bit over 3/4 throttle and 5k RPM.

Overall, now that they are on - I'm a happy guy. The tips are HUGE and look great. If they are not Borla tips, they are very very similar.

Kevin

Where's the pics man? :toetap:

Peter Pan
06-25-2010, 11:41am

Kevin

Cool and they seem to be pretty much like my SW Catback:beer::beer:

Cobra4B
06-25-2010, 1:12pm
So... any pics?

WKMCD
06-25-2010, 1:25pm
So... any pics?

I tried this morning with my phone but not worth showing here. I'll try to get some and a sound clip this weekend.

Garb55
09-04-2010, 10:13pm
So... any pics?

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/images/icons/bilmem.gif