PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Chicken Teriyaki

NEED-A-VETTE
03-04-2012, 1:01pm
Chicken teriyaki

This is my Japanese MIL's recipe.

Note: I usually double or triple the marinade/sauce and mushrooms because everyone seems to use a lot when scooping onto their rice. I recommend at least doubling them.

Marinade/Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tbs rice wine vinegar
3 tbs honey
1 tbs fresh ginger, finely grated
1/2 tsp garlic

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large pack of whole (white button) mushrooms, cleaned

Mix all marinade/sauce ingredients. Pour into large ziplock bag. Put chicken into ziplock bag and refrigerate for 24 hours. Shake and turn bag every so often to remix ingredients and marinate chicken evenly on both sides.

Remove chicken from marinade after 24 hours. Set marinade aside.
Grill or bake chicken.
While the chicken is cooking, put reserved marinade in pan with mushrooms and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes with lid off, cooking mushrooms and reducing the sauce to a thicker consistency.
Once everything is done, place cooked chicken into a dish and pour the sauce/mushrooms on top.
Serve with sticky rice. (Instructions for sticky rice in this (http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/whats-cooking/30748-thread-reserved-need-vettes-curry-recipe.html) thread.)

Optional: If you want your sauce a little thicker, mix 3 tbs flour with 3 tbs water, making sure there are no lumps. Bring marinade back to boil and pour flour mixture in while stirring the sauce very vigorously, making sure the sauce does not get lumpy. Simmer for another 10 minutes.

I don't use sliced mushrooms because they seem to absorbed too much of the sodium and become too salty.

One quick tip on using fresh ginger... By far the easiest way to use it is to peel the ginger root completely and store it in a heavy duty freezer bag (with the air all pushed out of it) in the freezer. Anytime you need fresh ginger, grab it out, grate the amount you need (grate it finely...a microplane hand grater or zester works perfectly) and then toss the unused portion back in the freezer. Frozen ginger is much easier to grate. When adding it to your recipe, don't forget to add the juice it creates, too.

Sea Six
03-04-2012, 6:05pm
:hurray:

allthrottleandsomebottle
03-08-2012, 3:17pm
I made this last night.............yummy.
GF said the only thing that could make it better is cookin it with a little pinnapple!!

Near anything adobo is yummy as well.....

LilRedCorvette
03-08-2012, 7:59pm
GF said the only thing that could make it better is cookin it with a little pinnapple!!

I like the pineapple idea. I can't eat mushrooms, might try adding some of that instead. :seasix:

kingpin
03-08-2012, 10:08pm
Need the :woohoo: smiley.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/Blueline29/woohoo-smiley.gif

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/minismurf36/smiley/thWOOHOO-1.gif

NEED-A-VETTE
03-10-2012, 10:38am

I have a good Filipino adobo recipe I'll post up. :cheers:

Sea Six
03-10-2012, 10:41am
I have a good Filipino adobo recipe I'll post up. :cheers:

Oh helltothe yes!

NEED-A-VETTE
03-10-2012, 11:06am
I like the pineapple idea. I can't eat mushrooms, might try adding some of that instead. :seasix:

Pineapple is not something found in traditional teriyaki, but I'm sure it'd be great. Especially if you grill the chicken. Include the pineapple in the marinade...maybe skewer some chunks or rings onto the chicken and toss is all on the grill. Mmmmmm...grilled pineapple.

It'll give the recipe a whole different flavor with the pineapple, but who doesn't like pineapple? I may have to try it that way, too. :D

:cheers:

Bucwheat
04-12-2012, 3:50pm
:dance: