PDA

View Full Version : Pete, Welcome to Kalifornia Residency

PLRX
02-09-2012, 5:29pm
Im back from H&R Block. I technically became California resident the day after my military retirement and had to pay California taxes.

Ive been hammered by the Golden State of California with $549 that I owe and have until April 15th to pay.

I took some money out of my retirement IRA account and California penalized me. This year will be a learning experience, no military exemption, 12 months of residency and all the other BOHICA CA-Taxes awaiting for me.

Here is a bonus, premium gasoline was $3.99 at 12:15 PM, at 1:30 PM went up to $4.03.

Dan and Mike, if you have any tips on what to save for California exemptions, a PM would be appreciated.

mike100
02-09-2012, 7:29pm
Pete, how all these lazy ass welfare collectors gonna get theirs if you don't pay your taxes?

plus you need to be respectful of the elite state union employees who want to retire at 50 with a full paycheck.

mike100
02-09-2012, 7:38pm
But seriously? I just got the mortgage interest, property tax, and the personal deductions...not much else to deduct without a self-employed business status. that's when you can really get creative (legally).

My strategy is either to try to make more money, or a lot less if you don't have bills.

73sbVert
02-09-2012, 8:13pm
Some of the reasons why I left CA before my retirement, and (after moving there for work), left as soon as I could!

Could not be happier I've left that F'ked up state behind. Love the weather, most of the people. The regs and laws and taxes?? Not so much!

:patriot:
Paul
EW1(SW/AW)
USN, Ret.

:cheers:

PLRX
02-09-2012, 8:30pm
Pete, how all these lazy ass welfare collectors gonna get theirs if you don't pay your taxes?

plus you need to be respectful of the elite state union employees who want to retire at 50 with a full paycheck.

That total BS but, its a fact. Imagine me retiring with full E-8 pay? Wow, what a retirement:seasix: That the reason the state keep rising taxes, prices, city hall fees etc. From age 50 until you die, you collect your pay as if you were at work.

But seriously? I just got the mortgage interest, property tax, and the personal deductions...not much else to deduct without a self-employed business status. that's when you can really get creative (legally).

My strategy is either to try to make more money, or a lot less if you don't have bills.

Im going to create a business, make no profit and claim 100% loss.:rofl:

PLRX
02-09-2012, 8:33pm
Some of the reasons why I left CA before my retirement, and (after moving there for work), left as soon as I could!

Could not be happier I've left that F'ked up state behind. Love the weather, most of the people. The regs and laws and taxes?? Not so much!

:patriot:
Paul
EW1(SW/AW)
USN, Ret.

:cheers:

I was in Scottsdale few weeks ago and I lookd around and it came thru my mind about moving there. I think in gas alone I would save $2K a year.

socalman
02-09-2012, 8:57pm
I have to defend our great State for 1 moment regarding taxes. Many people boast about having 'no sales tax' or 'no state income tax' but if you dig deep enough, each and every state finds another way for you to pay your fair share. Looking at retirement states (to move in 10 years) and places like Arkansas (love the Ozarks), Oregon (no state income tax), Washington (no sales tax)- or visa versa with these 2 states but...

Arkansas- my BIL brags about only paying $25 a year Vehicle Registration; but at the end of the year you get to list all your boats, cars etc. and then you get taxed their value along with your real estate property taxes. Don't own a home? You still get to list your 'personal property', then get taxed from the State/County & City all get a percentage (depending on where you live)..so I read anyway.

Oregon/Washington- gets you with higher property taxes and other misc taxes to make up for the lack of sales/income tax. May work for some retired on Social Security at poverty level only but bottom line, they all get their Caching!

California- at least you know what your sales tax, income tax is. Our state is under water, yet the average pay of $1200 a year for 100k gross income. Typical mortgage, car reg, prop/sales tax write offs. That's what- 1.2%?? Pretty insane if you ask me. I'm getting a $400 refund-why? Keep it and dig us out of a hole instead of killing me slowly with higher sales tax (coming soon to a theater near you), higher Gas/Alchohol/Veh Registration/Booze etc.

Pete: Cali Income tax pretty simple

20k net = 1.5%
40k net = 3.5%
60k = 5 %
100k =7%

The 'net' figure is 'adjusted income'. Take gross and subtract annual home mortgage & property taxes (to keep it simple). If no mortgage, take $4k off gross income.

Frizlefrak
02-09-2012, 9:43pm
I was born at L.A. County General. I love SoCal, and it will always be a part of me. I love going and visiting. But I wouldn't live there again for love nor money. I hate the politics, gun control, rampant liberalism, taxes, crowds, prices....you get the picture.

Texas has no state income tax, but if it's any consolation, they get you in other ways. 8.25% sales tax in El Paso County for starters (though no sales tax on food). And my property taxes rival L.A. County or Marin County. If I moved 10 miles north of my house to New Mexico, my property taxes would drop by about 75%....but I'd have to pay NM income tax.

Figure about $3000 a year per $100K of home value here. What chaps my ass is watching that support a county hospital I can't use without insurance.....but where a J-Towner can waddle across the Rio Grande and drop their "anchor baby" on my nickel. :mad: OR....and this one REALLY riles me.....kids that live in Juarez but have an uncle on this side going to public school here on my nickel...and expecting to be taught in Spanish.

Yeah, I get it....I live in a Bilingual community....hell, I speak Spanish myself....but what if an American child went to school in Mexico and demanded to be taught in English? Yeah....right.

I guess every place has it's good and bad....but at least I can still carry my firearm here.....Concealed with a permit.

WW7
02-09-2012, 10:02pm
Not meaning any disrespect to those that live in California, but I wouldn't live in that state if someone gave me a free house to live in..It's the most screwed up state in the US with all the azznine laws, high taxes and gun control idiots ..Plus the politicians there couldn't run a "lemonade stand" let alone a state and the governer is a royal doush bag.......But like I said " No Disrespect to the people that live there".....:D..WW

Friz, My house with 3 1/2 acres is appraised at $310,000 and I pay $1,480.00 property taxes plus about $480.00 personal property taxes..West Virginia is one of the lowest in the country for taxes....That's why I moved from Maryland which is one of the highest...WW

PLRX
02-09-2012, 10:06pm
Not meaning any disrespect to those that live in California, but I wouldn't live in that state if someone gave me a free house to live in..It's the most screwed up place in the US with all the azznine laws and gun control idiots that state has..Plus your politicians in that state suck big time and your governer is a doush bag.......But like I said " No Disrespect".....:D..WW

Ive driven thru 31 states and the one I would move in are Texas or Arizona. The rest just ...didnt motivate me.

WW7
02-09-2012, 10:15pm
Ive driven thru 31 states and the one I would move in are Texas or Arizona. The rest just ...didnt motivate me.

I agree with you Pete, my 81 year old parents could have moved anywhere they wanted to move. The liked Texas the best and moved to Corpus Christi last year about 1/2 mile from where my sister live's. They couldn't be happier...:seasix:...I also like Montana alot, one of the prettiest states in the US.....WW

Taurus
02-09-2012, 10:36pm
Not meaning any disrespect to those that live in California, but I wouldn't live in that state if someone gave me a free house to live in

That's what JD said.:leaving:

Not even Utah?

I have lived in many states through my career as I moved up the ladder. They include;

Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Colorado (again)
Iowa
Maine (the most beautiful state I have lived in)
Virginia (NOT West Virginia)
Tennessee (Love Nashville)
Kansas (Rock Chalk Jayhawks)
Utah (Home again)

I have also managed operations in;

New Mexico
Georgia
West Virginia
Nevada
Missouri
Massachusetts
North Carolina
South Carolina
Idaho

I have avoided California like the plague.

Frizlefrak
02-09-2012, 11:21pm
Friz, My house with 3 1/2 acres is appraised at $310,000 and I pay $1,480.00 property taxes plus about $480.00 personal property taxes..West Virginia is one of the lowest in the country for taxes....That's why I moved from Maryland which is one of the highest...WW

:iagree: My sister lived in Maryland for years....works in Bethesda. Got fed up about 10 years ago and bought a house in Shepherdstown, WV. Much cheaper taxes, more sensible laws, etc. If it weren't for the cold, I wouldn't mind living there.

I'm starting to look at where to retire in the next decade or so. Texas hill country is starting to look very appealing. I own 33 acres in the mountains of Southern New Mexico....has a well and septic already....taxes are $366 a year and I own it free and clear.....but it gets cold there in the winter. Looking to sell it and find someplace a bit warmer.

10 years from now, Sweetsie's gonna wake up at his beachfront place in Mexico, and he's going to be surrounded by all of US. :rofl:

C4fan
02-10-2012, 12:06am
I've spent most of my life living in AZ, TX and OK although born in IL. I wouldn't mind retiring in IL but Tucson will most likely be were I'll end up.

10 years from now, Sweetsie's gonna wake up at his beachfront place in Mexico, and he's going to be surrounded by all of US. :rofl:

:rofl: I can picture it now, a bunch of undesirables living in tents on his beach.:lol:

Taurus
02-10-2012, 12:10am
:rofl: I can picture it now, a bunch of undesirables living in tents on his beach.:lol:

We can be a commune of ex-C4 hippies.

C4fan
02-10-2012, 12:20am

Only if hippies drink Corona.:datawiz:

Frizlefrak
02-10-2012, 12:34am

:iagree: C4 Hippie Squatters. :rofl:

mike100
02-10-2012, 12:37am
I was in Scottsdale few weeks ago and I lookd around and it came thru my mind about moving there. ....

Go there in August and get back to us! besides, so many CA refugees have invaded already.

I moved to AZ in 1977 the first time. I'm OG enough to say I'm from there (even though I was born Contra Costa Co). I grew up in Flagstaff AZ, but there just aren't any jobs there.

While we are Bullshitting about 'The Grass Is Greener Over There', I had a pretty good Time working in Tupelo, Mississippi last year.

Taurus
02-10-2012, 12:56am
Go there in August and get back to us! besides, so many CA refugees have invaded already.

I moved to AZ in 1977 the first time. I'm OG enough to say I'm from there (even though I was born Contra Costa Co). I grew up in Flagstaff AZ, but there just aren't any jobs there.

While we are Bullshitting about 'The Grass Is Greener Over There', I had a pretty good Time working in Tupelo, Mississippi last year.

Lived in Phoenix for 9 years. Still have parents and a son at Luke AFB there. Always love going back to Phoenix, just got back from a trip last week.

Taurus
02-10-2012, 12:59am

Of course we'll be a little older then..................

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/81vette4me/oldhippie1.jpg

WW7
02-10-2012, 8:09am
I have a great idea , maybe we could all pitch in and get a place right next to Sweetsie's in Mexico. You know, sort of like a time share deal.. Wouldn't cost any of us to much money but we could all enjoy it..."Im in"..... I know Sweetsie would love having us for neighbors...:hurray:..WW

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/rkfee/cat_drinking_beer_watch_tv.jpg

Sweet 90
02-10-2012, 10:51am
Yeah, I get it....I live in a Bilingual community....hell, I speak Spanish myself....but what if an American child went to school in Mexico and demanded to be taught in English? Yeah....right.

At least Spanish is a useful language Friz, unlike the asshole, useless, screwed up French language we get shoved down out throats here.
Also Alberta has no sales tax:D
I agree with you Pete, my 81 year old parents could have moved anywhere they wanted to move. The liked Texas the best and moved to Corpus Christi last year about 1/2 mile from where my sister live's. They couldn't be happier...:seasix:...I also like Montana alot, one of the prettiest states in the US.....WW
My FIL has a place in Port Aransas Wayne, so legally Friz says I can claim that I'm half Texan:leaving:

Could you imagine that:rofl:

Yes Bill, you could join the "Occupy Group":)
:rofl:
Only if hippies drink Corona.:datawiz:
Hippies can't afford Corona:D
Oh dear God:rofl::rofl:

C4fan
02-10-2012, 12:55pm
I have a great idea , maybe we could all pitch in and get a place right next to Sweetsie's in Mexico. You know, sort of like a time share deal.. Wouldn't cost any of use to much money but we could all enjoy it..."Im in"..... I know Sweetsie would love having us for neighbors...:hurray:..WW

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/rkfee/cat_drinking_beer_watch_tv.jpg

Jim, I'm afraid I see a pattern of alchoholism here. Nearly every photo of you has an alchoholic beverage nearby with the exception of a few frozen cat photos and a perverted self pleasuring video that Pete posted a while back (I'm not sure who is more demented). I'm truely concerned.:lol:

Sweet 90
02-10-2012, 12:58pm
Jim, I'm afraid I see a pattern of alchoholism here. Nearly every photo of you has an alchoholic beverage nearby with the exception of a few frozen cat photos and a perverted self pleasuring video that Pete posted a while back (I'm not sure who is more demented). I'm truely concerned.:lol:

Really, maybe we need to have a beer and discuss this Bill:D

C4fan
02-10-2012, 1:17pm
Really, maybe we need to have a beer and discuss this Bill:D

Better get a case, this could take while.:cert:

Sweet 90
02-10-2012, 1:19pm
Better get a case, this could take while.:cert:

:iagree: plus I've got Betty Fords number on speed dial:cert:

C4fan
02-10-2012, 1:22pm
:iagree: plus I've got Betty Fords number on speed dial:cert:

I have all the A's, you know AA, AAA, AARP,,,

Sweet 90
02-10-2012, 1:29pm
I have all the A's, you know AA, AAA, AARP,,,

Smart man there Bill, Nothing worse than fumbling through your cell phone when you're hammer drunk looking for none phumber:D

C4fan
02-10-2012, 1:42pm
Smart man there Bill, Nothing worse than fumbling through your cell phone when you're hammer drunk looking for none phumber:D

yether, nuffing worth. I don't think AAA has become suspicious yet that my transmission always seems to go out right in front of the titty bar. It beats paying for a taxi.:D

Sweet 90
02-10-2012, 1:57pm
yether, nuffing worth. I don't think AAA has become suspicious yet that my transmission always seems to go out right in front of the titty bar. It beats paying for a taxi.:D

:rofl::rofl:
Damn, now why didn't I think of that:seasix:

Wathen1955
02-10-2012, 2:45pm
Of course, you mofo's forgot one important fact about Southern California: the weather. If you are lucky enough to live within 10 miles or so from the coast, say in San Diego, its the best weather anywhere. I know since I was born in San Diego. I moved out to Riverside to get away from the hustle and bustle. Now Riverside is almost like San Diego. Living in Southern CA allows you to do any of the following: skiing, surfing, desert riding, drive all year around, etc. You get the picture.

I like living in CA, but the IQ of a rock residences here like to elect the same idiots in office over and over again. Just look at all the idiots that re-elected Jerry Brown. If I stay in CA, I would like to move around the Pismo Beach area or just north of that in Morro Bay, but more than likely, I'll probably move out of the state where its sunny most of the year, and the cost of living is cheaper.

WW7
02-10-2012, 8:18pm
. Living in Southern CA allows you to do any of the following: skiing, surfing, desert riding, drive all year around, etc. You get the picture.

Texas has all of this except for the surfing , and the state is much more user friendly...:D...Plus you can carry a gun while doing it all...:seasix:..WW

Taurus
02-10-2012, 8:44pm
Texas has all of this except for the surfing , and the state is much more user friendly...:D...Plus you can carry a gun while doing it all...:seasix:..WW

Plus, here's a little known fact. JD Graduated from Texas Tech:seasix:

I'm really good at Trivial pursuit.

WW7
02-10-2012, 8:49pm
Plus, here's a little known fact. JD Graduated from Texas Tech:seasix:

I'm really good at Trivial pursuit.

I bet you are!! .... I may have to move to Texas now....:D...WW