PDA

View Full Version : Another WWVBOTD job question (With irrelevent pics)

8Up
02-08-2012, 10:37am
Hey all, I currently work as a Network Optomization Engineer for a company you never heard of. I have an opportunity to go to work for a competitor designing Distributed Antenna Systems (similar but not the same work) with some travel for ~ 15% more $ than I make right now. The only issue is that currently I have such a cushy job that I can pretty much work my own hours, from home, every day, low stress, good benes etc, very low risk of job loss. The other job would be more work (hell almost anything would be more work) but I would grow as an engineer, likely be more marketable in the future, make more $ but be on the road more. Wife says do what I want to do. I Would not have to relocate for the new job. I guess it comes down to: stay in the comfort zone or get out? So WWVBOTD?

Irrelevent pics of my winter project.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/dkp7895/Doniphone038.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/dkp7895/Doniphone074.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/dkp7895/Doniphone079.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/dkp7895/Doniphone095.jpg

Irrelevent pic of my two best friends in the world, I am the guy in teh Hard Rock Tee.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/dkp7895/twoofthebestfriendsaguycouldaskfor.jpg

Stangkiller
02-08-2012, 11:15am
You say it will help you in your resume, unless you plan to retire from your current job...take the step up!

NB2K
02-08-2012, 11:20am
Travel sucks, unless it's by car.

NeedSpeed
02-08-2012, 11:22am
15% isn't a whole lot. What's the cost of living difference?

Yerf Dog
02-08-2012, 11:23am
How long have you been at your current gig?

Stangkiller
02-08-2012, 11:24am

He wouldn't have to move. It might be 15% more pay, but if you travel enough you'll rack up frequent flyer miles and such to pay for your personal trips and travel.

NeedSpeed
02-08-2012, 11:29am
He wouldn't have to move. It might be 15% more pay, but if you travel enough you'll rack up frequent flyer miles and such to pay for your personal trips and travel.

Misread that.

mrvette
02-08-2012, 11:36am

15% is only really 10% and he gets to pay for that 4 buck gas and wear/tear on a vehicle, that is NOT tax deductible as he is still on a W2....

plus all the hours spent on the road, I always consider THAT in my work day hours, meaning I pushed 9-10 hour days, and in a snowstorm that 15 mile commute took 2.5 hours once, never again...

:cert:

Olustee bus
02-08-2012, 11:41am
Sounds like it is beneficial for long term career. Very important. You are a young man. does it affect your plan for retirement?

ConstantChange
02-08-2012, 12:49pm
How old are you? Do you have kids?

From what I've read so far, I wouldn't do it.

Bucwheat
02-08-2012, 12:52pm
For 15% and added travel, no way.

8Up
02-08-2012, 2:24pm
No relo so it would be the same

How long have you been at your current gig? 7 years

Sounds like it is beneficial for long term career. Very important. You are a young man. does it affect your plan for retirement? I dont think it woudl effect much except the new company would have a pension, I have at least 20 years before I can retire. I dont think that would change.

I am 45 two kids, twins 9 years old.

Most of the travel wold be in North and South Carolina but may still involve overnight stays. I would estimate travel at 20-25% or from what I have been told by the guys already on the project.

Yerf Dog
02-08-2012, 2:25pm
After 7 years I'd be looking for a change. The extra dough would help too. I wouldn't like the travel though.

8Up
02-08-2012, 2:33pm
After 7 years I'd be looking for a change. The extra dough would help too. I wouldn't like the travel though.

Yeah, That is another factor, I am pretty bored at my current job. I am kind of looking at the new position like a notch in my belt. Not sure I would want to do it until I retired but there is much more mobility in the new company. I could bust my butt for a few years and then look internally for more possibilties.

kingpin
02-08-2012, 3:04pm
You say it will help you in your resume, unless you plan to retire from your current job...take the step up!

:slap:

Travel sucks, unless it's by car.

How long have you been at your current gig?

:slap::slap:

Misread that.

15% is only really 10% and he gets to pay for that 4 buck gas and wear/tear on a vehicle, that is NOT tax deductible as he is still on a W2....

plus all the hours spent on the road, I always consider THAT in my work day hours, meaning I pushed 9-10 hour days, and in a snowstorm that 15 mile commute took 2.5 hours once, never again...

:cert:

Sounds like it is beneficial for long term career. Very important. You are a young man. does it affect your plan for retirement?

For 15% and added travel, no way.

Fail...Fail...Fail!

Here's is the proper answer to the OP.

1. Pics of wife since you mentioned her.
2. Nice car.
3. Stay put and don't sweat the 15% as you will probably move in to a higher tax bracket anyway.

:seasix:

HOWSER
02-08-2012, 3:55pm
Take the new gig. Sounds like you're ready to step up.

Good luck!

8Up
02-08-2012, 4:43pm

1. Pics of wife since you mentioned her.
2. Nice car.
3. Stay put and don't sweat the 15% as you will probably move in to a higher tax bracket anyway.

1. Here is a pic of us on a cruise, we still pretty much look the same. feel free to photochop my head an replace with dog head or bowlingball or whatever.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/dkp7895/CruiseJuly2010034.jpg
2. Thanks, should be done in a few weeks. at least the engine project will be done.
3. I will have to check the tax bracket, hadnt thought of that.

Sea Six
02-08-2012, 4:46pm
I'd stay put. I don't like fighting inertia.

kingpin
02-08-2012, 5:59pm
1. Here is a pic of us on a cruise, we still pretty much look the same. feel free to photochop my head an replace with dog head or bowlingball or whatever.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/dkp7895/CruiseJuly2010034.jpg
2. Thanks, should be done in a few weeks. at least the engine project will be done.
3. I will have to check the tax bracket, hadnt thought of that.

See peeps. That's how it's done.
Of course the usual you are overchicked line comes up otherwise I'd be gaying myself down.
Also no chopping as you played the game right. :seasix:

C5Nate
02-08-2012, 6:27pm
Hey all, I currently work as a Network Optomization Engineer for a company you never heard of. I have an opportunity to go to work for a competitor designing Distributed Antenna Systems (similar but not the same work) with some travel for ~ 15% more $ than I make right now. The only issue is that currently I have such a cushy job that I can pretty much work my own hours, from home, every day, low stress, good benes etc, very low risk of job loss.

Take the job and recommend me for you old job.

I would give my left one for a work from home, low stress network job.

lspencer534
02-08-2012, 6:31pm
I think the 15% raise issue depends on what that is in dollars based on your current income. Meaning, 15% of $50,000/year is $7500, which sounds like a healthy raise, and it would only affect your taxes negligibly. On $100,000, it's a $15,000 raise, which doesn't sound like much, and your taxes will eat into it. It sounds like even less at $200,000.

Can you get a raise where you work now? Has your present company been frequent with raises in the past? Any difference in health care between the two companies? Are both companies equally stable and solvent?

Giraffe (He/Him)
02-08-2012, 6:32pm
Also no chopping as you played the game right.
Mind your own business. :D

Sea Six
02-08-2012, 6:41pm
Mind your own business. :D

:iagree:

NCC-1701
02-08-2012, 7:28pm
Stay where your at...:seasix:

CertInsaneC5
02-08-2012, 7:40pm
I think the 15% raise issue depends on what that is in dollars based on your current income. Meaning, 15% of $50,000/year is $7500, which sounds like a healthy raise, and it would only affect your taxes negligibly. On $100,000, it's a $15,000 raise, which doesn't sound like much, and your taxes will eat into it. It sounds like even less at $200,000.

Can you get a raise where you work now? Has your present company been frequent with raises in the past? Any difference in health care between the two companies? Are both companies equally stable and solvent?

You read my mind on this one Spence.

I would have to have a pretty sizable raise $$$$$ wise to put me back on the road for even 5% of the year, let alone 15-25% after having a work at home job. The vacation time would have to be equal or better as well. That goes for bennies as well.

You mentioned pensions. Those can go away very quickly. I would be careful there.

lspencer534
02-08-2012, 8:07pm
You read my mind on this one Spence.

I would have to have a pretty sizable raise $$$$$ wise to put me back on the road for even 5% of the year, let alone 15-25% after having a work at home job. The vacation time would have to be equal or better as well. That goes for bennies as well.

You mentioned pensions. Those can go away very quickly. I would be careful there.

Great minds...ya know the rest. :cert: But, yes: Pensions are tricky and slippery to hold on to, and extremely important. Good point.

pappytinker
02-08-2012, 8:09pm
I wouldn't do it unless there was a company car in the deal or at least that you would be allowed to rent/lease one. And not a super compact, either. That 15% increase might get eaten into real quick if the 20-25% travel turns into 40-50% or more and you had to use your own vehicle.

SnikPlosskin
02-08-2012, 8:43pm
Don't assume the new gig will last. If something changes you are low man on the totem pole. Too much risk for 15%.

8Up
02-09-2012, 3:04pm
Don't assume the new gig will last. If something changes you are low man on the totem pole. Too much risk for 15%.

This is my number 1 fear right here.. Where I am, I am number 3 of 5 as far as seniority goes. Never any gaurentees but security is a nice feeling.

jaxgator
02-09-2012, 3:23pm
Sorry, but I've got nothing for you about your job decision.

I just wanted to post what an awesome car you've got your hands on there. Looking real good. :seasix: