PDA

View Full Version : In the DarK: 13 Things a Movie Theater Employee Won’t Tell You

onedef92
02-08-2012, 9:28am
13 Things a Movie Theater Employee Won’t Tell You

1. Why does the popcorn smell so good? It has chemicals in it to make its aroma fill the theater.

2. “Extreme Digital” is actually lower quality than IMAX digital. We use it because it’s easier to maintain.

3. For the first month or two of screening, money from ticket sales goes to movie studios. Theaters rely on concession stands to make money. That’s why concessions are overpriced. Popcorn costs almost nothing to make.

4. I know all the methods you use to sneak in. I just don’t always care enough to kick you out for it.

5. The only foods I trust are the popcorn, drinks, and boxed candy. I wouldn’t eat the pretzels, hot dogs, or nachos.

6. Chances are, if you complain to the manager and he sides with you, he’s just putting on a show to calm you down. The manager might pretend to yell at me for a minute, but he’ll pat me on the back the moment you’re out of sight

7. Combination deals don’t save you money at some theaters. You’d pay the same price if you purchased the items separately.

8. Think you’re saving calories by ordering a small popcorn? That “small” popcorn could have been a medium last month.

9. Stop getting angry that your food isn't ready. Microwaves can't cook frozen pizzas in 30 seconds!

10. No, I can’t give you extra cups. Everything is inventoried at the end of the night.

11. Your suspicions are correct. Sometimes I sweep excess food under the seats. Movies often end every few minutes. Sometimes, three or more screenings end at the same time. I don’t always have time to clean everything up.

12 Yes, movies start late. But they almost always end on time – otherwise, the ushers wouldn’t know when to clean up. Theaters tell you to come in early so you have time to watch commercials and previews.

13. Popcorn keeps for a day or two. Many customers confuse warm with fresh. :leaving:

Sources: Movie theater employees in California, Illinois, and Indiana

burtonbl103
02-08-2012, 9:38am
:eek:

onedef92
02-08-2012, 9:39am
I'm sure old Apex can add some additional pearls of wisdom, too.

86RAG
02-08-2012, 9:40am
Mmmmm, popcorn :popcorns:

C5SilverBullet
02-08-2012, 9:41am
None of that really surprises me.

onedef92
02-08-2012, 9:42am
5. The only foods I trust are the popcorn, drinks, and boxed candy. I wouldn’t eat the pretzels, hot dogs, or nachos.

Sounds like someone's dishin' the inside dope on the "secret sauce."

Reminds me of the time an employee got caught ejaculating into a vat of mayonnaise at a local Rally's Fast Food Restaurant. To this day, I still won't visit that store.

C5SilverBullet
02-08-2012, 9:43am

Reminds me of the time an employee got caught ejaculating into a vat of mayonnaise at a local Rally's Fast Food Restaurant. To this day, I still won't visit that store.

That happened in Vincennes, IN at an Olive Garden too. The even worse part of it, he had herpes.

EDIT: Actually it was chlamydia, and the person who ordered the food was 12 years old.

onedef92
02-08-2012, 9:46am
That happened in Vincennes, IN at an Olive Garden too. The even worse part of it, he had herpes.

The Greatest Game Ever Know to Man - YouTube

Damn. It's worse than that 2005 theme restaurant spoof movie "Waiting."

NeedSpeed
02-08-2012, 10:27am

:iagree:

NeedSpeed
02-08-2012, 10:28am
For the first month or two of screening, money from ticket sales goes to movie studios. Theaters rely on concession stands to make money. That’s why concessions are overpriced. Popcorn costs almost nothing to make.

4. I know all the methods you use to sneak in. I just don’t always care enough to kick you out for it.

Thus why they don't care if you sneak in, they still hope you'll buy concessions.

onedef92
02-08-2012, 10:32am
Thus why they don't care if you sneak in, they still hope you'll buy concessions.

Some mofo's smuggle food in thier bags and purses, too.

I once watched a heffalump get called out (along with her brood) by theatre management for opening up a purse full of White Castle sliders after several patrons complained.

The smell was a dead giveaway. They told her she had to go out in the lobby and finish her meal. She complied, but she did not exit quietly. In fact, hoochie momma provided more entertainment than the feature presentation. :lol:

joecaver
02-08-2012, 10:58am
A few years ago, when I still went to the movies, a woman sat behind us with a few children and pulled hotdogs, drinks and other snacks from a big ass pocket book. Then they spent a good bit of their time talking to the screen. :leaving:

onedef92
02-08-2012, 11:04am
A few years ago, when I still went to the movies, a woman sat behind us with a few children and pulled hotdogs, drinks and other snacks from a big ass pocket book. Then they spent a good bit of their time talking to the screen. :leaving:

That's one of the reaons I've practically stopped going to the movie house. That and the pale, blue glow of phones and PDA screens illuminating the gallery. People are just so rude. They should start jamming the cell phone signals there!

And a hood rat movie on opening night? Fuggeduhbouttit!

I peeped Boyz n the Hood back in 1991 at Radcliff, Ky. (young, Fort Knox enlisted soldier crowd) and a mofo tossed a half-full 40 oz. bottle into the air. It split some guy's head open and a massive fight erupted 15 minutes into the movie!

Mofo's almost got trampled to death gettin' out of there! :issues:

Yerf Dog
02-08-2012, 11:21am

But I'm still not going. :D

PLRX
02-08-2012, 12:48pm

Not to hijack but,

The mayo sperm is bad but, look into what this ass hole did to elementary school kids. You guys will be sick by reading this.

LA School Scandal: 2nd Teacher Charged, Fired by Board - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/la-school-scandal-2nd-teacher-charged-fired-board/story?id=15536279#.TzK1K-QxjRY)

BuckyThreadkiller
02-08-2012, 12:57pm

I doubt we'll see Apex for a while - He's in pre-game for the 3D release of The Phantom Menace. Currently, he's probably undergoing psychoanalysis because part of him has a physical, almost addict-like NEED to go see any Star Wars movie. And yet another part of him knows he'll die the death of a thousand cuts the first time Jar Jar says, "Meeso...". While still another part of him will be enraged because Lucas has once again reworked part of the saga and toyed with his emotions like a cat with a mouse.

Jar Jar Binks in 3D, starting Friday. I'll be surprised if Apex can form coherent rational thought for the next few weeks.

VatorMan
02-08-2012, 1:03pm
We have a beer theater here. Beer and sit down dinners. I don't like it-I might as well cook at home and eat in front of the big screen TV.

island14
02-08-2012, 1:23pm
I like popcorn

NEVRL8T
02-08-2012, 1:35pm
I only go to the theater once every five years - max.

73sbVert
02-08-2012, 1:43pm
We have a beer theater here. Beer and sit down dinners. I don't like it-I might as well cook at home and eat in front of the big screen TV.

Those are the theaters I prefer to go to! Less likelihood of having kids in there!

Plus, :datawiz: :datawiz: :datawiz:

:seasix:

Aerovette
02-08-2012, 1:49pm

Ours has a full on BAR. Mixed drinks !

Also about 20 diffrent types of Coke. Some I had no idea existed...Raspberry Coke.

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 2:41pm

That isn't gum under your seat.

That isn't my foot hitting the back of your head.

I didn't buy the large Coke because I'm going to drink all of it. I bought it because when I've had my fill of it, there is still enough to dump over your head if you don't shut the f*ck up and put the f*ckin' phone away.

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 2:43pm
I doubt we'll see Apex for a while - He's in pre-game for the 3D release of The Phantom Menace. Currently, he's probably undergoing psychoanalysis because part of him has a physical, almost addict-like NEED to go see any Star Wars movie. And yet another part of him knows he'll die the death of a thousand cuts the first time Jar Jar says, "Meeso...". While still another part of him will be enraged because Lucas has once again reworked part of the saga and toyed with his emotions like a cat with a mouse.

Jar Jar Binks in 3D, starting Friday. I'll be surprised if Apex can form coherent rational thought for the next few weeks.

Nope. Not seeing it.

But you all better f*ckin' go. Lucas says we won't get IV, V or VI in 3D unless people go apeshit and see I, II, and III 6 times each.

SO GET TO IT. I've done my duty with that turd, it's someone else's turn.

kingpin
02-08-2012, 3:11pm
I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. No interest at all whether they are free on tv or dvd/blu-ray.

I've also never seen the little english turd's movies. The name doesn't come to me right now.

boracayjohnny
02-08-2012, 3:20pm
I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. No interest at all whether they are free on tv or dvd/blu-ray.

I've also never seen the little english turd's movies. The name doesn't come to me right now.

I'm old enough to remember when the first one came out and folks were going crazy over it. Me and some buddies lost our shit over Phoebbe Cates, though. :D

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 3:23pm

So what kinda film catches your interest?

I'm not surprised you haven't seen any of the James Bond movies. They suck.

kingpin
02-08-2012, 3:35pm
So what kinda film catches your interest?

I'm not surprised you haven't seen any of the James Bond movies. They suck.

:lol: I was trying to think of "Lord of the Rings". Not a James Bond fan either. Can't stand to hear an English accent. Drives me nuts.

I'm a sap and like feel good movies. Movies from when I was a kid, like Rambo, THe Karate Kid. :D
I like action movies. One of my favourite movies is Leon the Professional.

But I don't really have a favourite style of movie.
I've enjoyed everything from Schindler's List to Water Boy. My favourite comedy movie is still Mr. Deeds.
Love my cheesy horrors with Halloween(Michael Myers) being my favourite and Friday the 13th coming in second.
Movies I stay away from. B&W puts me too sleep. Schindler's list was the first one I was able to watch.
I stay away from movies where actors have an English Accent. I can't stand listening to it. I want to rip peoples faces off when I hear it.

I like mind-f*** movies but they are hard to come by.

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 3:50pm
:lol: I was trying to think of "Lord of the Rings". Not a James Bond fan either. Can't stand to hear an English accent. Drives me nuts. <SNIP> I stay away from movies where actors have an English Accent. I can't stand listening to it. I want to rip peoples faces off when I hear it.

LOL, that is funny. I totally thought you were talking about Hairy Pooter.

So, if I read you right, your distaste of the various accents of the UK is why you don't/won't see certain movies, nothing to do with the movies themselves. That is too bad, some of those people are great actors and they make good movies from time to time. They do make the best TV in the world.

I'm a sap and like feel good movies. Movies from when I was a kid, like Rambo, THe Karate Kid. :D
I like action movies. One of my favourite movies is Leon the Professional.

But I don't really have a favourite style of movie.
I've enjoyed everything from Schindler's List to Water Boy. My favourite comedy movie is still Mr. Deeds.
Love my cheesy horrors with Halloween(Michael Myers) being my favourite and Friday the 13th coming in second.
Movies I stay away from. B&W puts me too sleep. Schindler's list was the first one I was able to watch.

I like mind-f*** movies but they are hard to come by.

I have to chuckle about Rambo being a "feel good movie".

I have a feeling that your B/W distaste has more to do with the style of film making prevalent when movies weren't colored, than it has to do with the B/W-ness of them. I don't think you'd fall asleep watching Dr. Strangelove, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The Seven Samurai or The Longest Day, for example.

kingpin
02-08-2012, 4:18pm
LOL, that is funny. I totally thought you were talking about Hairy Pooter. Yah him to. I thought he was the little shit in Lord of the Rings. :lol:

So, if I read you right, your distaste of the various accents of the UK is why you don't/won't see certain movies, nothing to do with the movies themselves. That is too bad, some of those people are great actors and they make good movies from time to time. They do make the best TV in the world. My Aunt is married to an Englishman and they live in England. When they come to visit I can't even stand talking to their kids for more than 5 minutes before I have to leave the room.

I have to chuckle about Rambo being a "feel good movie".

I have a feeling that your B/W distaste has more to do with the style of film making prevalent when movies weren't colored, than it has to do with the B/W-ness of them. I don't think you'd fall asleep watching Dr. Strangelove, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The Seven Samurai or The Longest Day, for example.

:D I guess I worded that wrong about Rambo being a feel good movie. :rofl:

I'm always up to watching new movies. It took me almost a year and a half of owning Schindler's list to watch it. I'm happy I finally did as it was a great movie.

Some movies I can watch over and over again. Rocky series, Karate Kid series, Inglorious Bastards, The waterboy, Mr. Deeds, Halloween Series.

Different movies for different moods like most.
Stupid movie night is great also.
Silence of the Hams is hilarious.

Sea Six
02-08-2012, 4:52pm
My Aunt is married to an Englishman and they live in England. When they come to visit I can't even stand talking to their kids for more than 5 minutes before I have to leave the room.

Xenophobe.

:dance:

And racist. I forgot that part. :issues:

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 5:19pm
I'm always up to watching new movies. It took me almost a year and a half of owning Schindler's list to watch it. I'm happy I finally did as it was a great movie.

I think your next B/W movie should be The Longest Day, Darryl F. Zanuck's 1962 masterpiece about the events of June 6th 1944, D-Day. Now, I will warn you, it is 3 hours long, there are French and Germans speaking, so there are subtitles for roughly half the movie, and since Britain was involved in WWII there will be some British accents, but if you can put these elements aside you will be well rewarded.

In 1962 Hollywood, and 20th Century Fox were at the peak of epic film making. Never before, or since, was such commitment, passion or money given toward the art of film making.

By showing not just the American perspective, and making the British, French and German sides of the story as well, Zanuck brought to the screen the most historically accurate, thorough, unblinking look at D-Day, and did it with reverence, yet also with style, wit and humor.

Listen to this cast...

Henry Fonda
Eddie Albert
John Wayne
Richard Burton
Robert Mitchum
Rod Stieger
Robert Wagner
Fabian
Paul Anka
Roddy McDowell
Red Buttons
Peter Lawford
Sal Mineo
Sean Connery
Stuart Whitman

It is the greatest WWII movie ever made, perhaps only equaled by Daryl F. Zanuck's 1970 masterpiece about the events of December 7th 1941, Tora! Tora! Tora!, but that doesn't have British accents and it's in color, so you can watch that any time.

Nemesis
02-08-2012, 5:33pm
That's one of the reaons I've practically stopped going to the movie house. That and the pale, blue glow of phones and PDA screens illuminating the gallery. People are just so rude. They should start jamming the cell phone signals there!

And a hood rat movie on opening night? Fuggeduhbouttit!

I peeped Boyz n the Hood back in 1991 at Radcliff, Ky. (young, Fort Knox enlisted soldier crowd) and a mofo tossed a half-full 40 oz. bottle into the air. It split some guy's head open and a massive fight erupted 15 minutes into the movie!

Mofo's almost got trampled to death gettin' out of there! :issues:

I go to movies all the time. I wait a few days after it's opened. I go on weeknights and I go alone. Very few people in the theater. You can completely shut out the world and enjoy the movie in a theater like that.

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 5:42pm
I go to movies all the time. I wait a few days after it's opened. I go on weeknights and I go alone. Very few people in the theater. You can completely shut out the world and enjoy the movie in a theater like that.

If you live in the Bible Belt but don't indulge in church services, the first show on a Sunday, second weekend a film is open, is GOLD. I've seen many movies in totally empty theaters that way.

carlton_fritz
02-08-2012, 6:23pm
3. For the first month or two of screening, money from ticket sales goes to movie studios. Theaters rely on concession stands to make money. That’s why concessions are overpriced. Popcorn costs almost nothing to make.

And yet people insist on sneaking in food and drink. Good way to put a theater out of business.

The_Dude
02-08-2012, 6:46pm
And yet people insist on sneaking in food and drink. Good way to put a theater out of business.

How else can you drink a beer?

G8rDMD
02-08-2012, 6:57pm

carlton_fritz
02-08-2012, 7:00pm
How else can you drink a beer?
Some theaters sell beer.

Sea Six
02-08-2012, 7:06pm
Some theaters sell beer.

Suds 'n Cinema, Flicks 'n Foam, lots of places. They usually don't have any first-run movies, but that's ok. Fewer people that way.

The less, the merrier, these days in the movie theater. Sadly.

carlton_fritz
02-08-2012, 7:37pm

Suds 'n Cinema, Flicks 'n Foam, lots of places. They usually don't have any first-run movies, but that's ok. Fewer people that way.

The less, the merrier, these days in the movie theater. Sadly.

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 9:08pm

Just because all your profit comes from the concession stand doesn't mean you have to sell complete shit through that stand. If theater chains would simply accept the fact that their money comes from the ancillary sales and, oh I don't know, offer something of value at a decent price, maybe people wouldn't sneak someone else's products in.

I'd think what theater chains should do is work a deal with fast food places and do a Food Court kinda deal. You'd think Starbucks, McDonalds, and KFC would kill for a location like that.

My idea would be a food mall, with 20 screens in the adjacent theater. The food vendors rent space from me, I still charge $7 for a movie ticket and can afford to pay ushers to shut people up, and a cleaning crew able to care for decent comfortable seats.

As for cellphones, I'd just tell people up front when they buy their ticket that cellphones won't get signal inside the theaters and then insulate the walls and ceilings accordingly.

Cellphone light and talking nuisance can also be somewhat mitigated by improving the seats. Ever notice that you can see the head of the person in front of you? Extend the seatback those extra 8 inches so you can't. Then put a spandex barrier between the seats. The extra stuff between you and the person talking means less of the noise reaches you. Same thing goes for the light from the cellphones. Are you really short or have short kids? Sorry, you'll just have to sit closer to the front. Kids under 13 aren't allowed above the middle row anyway, that's for the adults.

If someone is talking, the usher will point 'em out with the flash-light just like the old days, and if someone is tossed out by an usher, stop by the customer service desk (imagine one of those in a movie theater), present your ticket and you'll get either a refund or a free ticket to another screening, or another film, your choice.

Theater chains have no excuse for the crap at the concession stand, the price-gouging or the lack of customer service when it comes to some jackhole talking through the best parts.

I'm telling you guys, give me 5 years as the CEO of a major theater chain and I'll change the industry.

MEANZ06
02-08-2012, 9:17pm
i haven't been to a theater in years and don't plan on going ever again. the cost and shit people you have to deal with is not worth it. i'd much rather sit in my living room with my big screen and surround sound. much easier on the pocketbook and on my nerves... just my $.02... :seasix:

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 9:32pm
My other idea was much more radical and behind the scenes...

Get the chains together to agree to stop taking any % of ticket sales, ever. very single cent goes to the studios.

Make the studios negotiate with the chains, on a movie-by-movie basis, to show the movie. The studio wants the movie shown, to get the ticket money, make them pay for the screen time.

Then offer the studio shelf space in the gift shop so they can hawk movie-related merchandise, again the proceeds of which go to the studios, who have paid for the shelf space in a location where potential sales still have the can't-wait-to-see-this high for a movie or the just-saw-it-that-was-awesome-I'm-getting-a-t-shirt high clouding their impulse buying judgement.

That changes the flow of cash. No longer is the theater beholden to the ticket buyer or the concession stand. They've got their money before the movie even screens, which should give a greater sharing of the profit the films make across the range. They will lose a bit on the surprise hits, but make it up on the bombs.

This will force Hollywood to rethink their whole strategy of film making, and it is in times of change in Hollywood that audiences usually get to see something amazing, as risks are taken trying to find that new path forward.

boracayjohnny
02-08-2012, 10:07pm
F'n yeahhhh, Apex. A going out with a bang and theater genius. :seasix:

kingpin
02-08-2012, 10:16pm
I always thought a high end, private theater would be nice.
Yearly membership of a couple thousand and you can watch all the movies you want.

One big theater screening room that seats a couple hundred for private parties and large screenings and smaller more private rooms that hold 75-100 people surrounding it.

All top end sound and video equipment with couches and lounge seating.
Afterwards stick around for an hour or so and discuss the movie with people.

Something like that anyways. :D

ApexOversteer
02-08-2012, 10:58pm
Theaters need to offer something that cannot be had at home.

64fps digital projection, advancements in 3D, larger parabolic concave screens, 270° viewing, vibrating seats wired for sound and Cine-scent (yes, smell the movies) are coming, it remains to be seen how mainstream these things become.

I believe going to 64fps, more than doubling the current 24fps standard, would have the biggest immediate effect. It allows for better CGI compositing, so CGI will look better, and it's closer to how our brains actually process information, so 3D will look better too.

ft laud mike
02-09-2012, 3:28am

I like them, if I am forced to go to a movie
:cert:

kingpin
02-09-2012, 8:39am
Theaters need to offer something that cannot be had at home.

64fps digital projection, advancements in 3D, larger parabolic concave screens, 270° viewing, vibrating seats wired for sound and Cine-scent (yes, smell the movies) are coming, it remains to be seen how mainstream these things become.

I believe going to 64fps, more than doubling the current 24fps standard, would have the biggest immediate effect. It allows for better CGI compositing, so CGI will look better, and it's closer to how our brains actually process information, so 3D will look better too.

Maybe it's just the audiophile in me but I give sound 10% more importance then the video aspect. Immersing the crowd with good, clean powerful sound is what makes a movie enjoyable. IMHO!
That being said nothing but the best video in a high end theater will do.
Seat shakers are expensive, for a good set. Theaters should have what's called an "infinite baffle" type subsonic bass system that reaches down to the 4-6 hz region to shake the seats and handle the low end from 8-20hz. Lot's of movies are using frequency levels down to 8hz these days and the theaters can't produce these properly. Their JBL(I Love JBL) systems are cut off in the 30-40hz area and are missing out on a lot of information for the full effect.
Infinite baffles are cheap, powerful and very little upkeep.

Some of the tv's out there are doing a real shitty job on the digital side these days. A lot of the high end Samsungs(home)LED/Lcd still don't produce a great picture and is way too digitized for my liking. I'll stick to my LG Plasma for best picture. Yes, Kuro's are still the picture to beat.

Last year a friend of mine bought a 65" Samsung and paid around $3200.
What a waste of money. I got there and he was watching Avatar with the factory settings still on hot. By the time I had gone in and took the settings down to where they should be it still had that digitized stutter and image floating look. :puke:
He was happy until he saw the picture on my $800 50" LG Plasma. He went home depressed. :lol:

04 commemorative
02-09-2012, 9:14am
I still like seeing a film on the big screen,yeah the people that talk and use the phones are douchebags but I just say something and usually it stops.
Oh and I smuggle ...:yesnod:.... we make our own popcorn and put it in zip bags so it's not noisy and bring our own water and Gatorade.....:waiting:

kingpin
02-09-2012, 9:17am
I like it when somebody brings in a nice, ripe bologna sandwich that just stinks up the whole place. :slap:

LATB
02-09-2012, 9:20am
I only go to the theater once every five years - max.

i haven't been to a theater in years and don't plan on going ever again. the cost and shit people you have to deal with is not worth it. i'd much rather sit in my living room with my big screen and surround sound. much easier on the pocketbook and on my nerves... just my $.02... :seasix:

I do not do the movie theatre thing. it sucks.

last time I was in one I believe I paid 3 or 4 bux a ticket...gives an idea of how long...several decades?

what are ticket costs nowadays?

NEED-A-VETTE
02-09-2012, 9:45am
Love the Arclight theaters out here. Full bar, great concessions, a cafe, reserved seating, always spotlessly clean and comfortable chairs. They actually walk you to your seat and do not put up with talking, cell phone usage, etc. Prior to the movie, the employee assigned to your theater introduces himself. The theaters have some retail shops in them, most include somewhat cool movie props on display, depending on what is playing.

It's a little more than a normal theater, but totally worth it. :cheers:

BuckyThreadkiller
02-09-2012, 10:29am
Here we have the Movie Tavern and its the only place I'll go.
Its popcorn and bar food but the beer's cold and you don't have to get up to go get it.

My only bitch is that they bring you your check for food and drink right at the climax of the film.

onedef92
02-09-2012, 10:35am
Don't AMC Magic Johnson Theatres sell salisbury steak and other entrees at their cinemas? :confused5:

kingpin
02-09-2012, 10:30pm
I do not do the movie theatre thing. it sucks.

last time I was in one I believe I paid 3 or 4 bux a ticket...gives an idea of how long...several decades?

what are ticket costs nowadays?

Here they are $16 at the major theatres.
I haven't been to one in ages.
I prefer the theatre I had at home.

kylebuck
02-10-2012, 12:20am
sweet...i now get to watch rated r movies.