PDA

View Full Version : Going to 3rd world for humanitarian relief?

SnikPlosskin
02-07-2012, 10:19pm
I may have the opportunity to join a group of Special Forces and surgeons to do some humanitarian intervention in Costa Rico.

Anyone familiar with the country? Is it dangerous? (I'd be surrounded by SF - but still...)

Omega Man
02-07-2012, 11:02pm
It is called a Medical Readiness Exercise.

Stangkiller
02-07-2012, 11:14pm
I hear nothing but fabulous things about Costa.

CP
02-07-2012, 11:39pm
Who's paying for this, the US taxpayer using borrowed money??

C5Nate
02-07-2012, 11:43pm
Question is, SHOULD YOU?

boracayjohnny
02-07-2012, 11:44pm

Yes^2.

Pete, are you getting there by civilian or military aircraft?

Montehall
02-07-2012, 11:45pm
I hear nothing but fabulous things about Costa.
Costa Rica is the shit.
I completely enjoyed myself down there.

Keep in mind that you are only two inches away from the sun though... But it is beautiful.

pappytinker
02-07-2012, 11:49pm
I may have the opportunity to join a group of Special Forces and surgeons to do some humanitarian intervention in Costa Rico.

Anyone familiar with the country? Is it dangerous? (I'd be surrounded by SF - but still...)

Have you tried a web search? Before you do, decide whether you want Costa Rica or Puerto Rico. Many people think they are the same place but they are two different places. There is a bunch of information on both.

SnikPlosskin
02-08-2012, 9:04am

I believe the surgeons will be actually doing work on the ground.

Private non-profit

Yes^2.

Pete, are you getting there by civilian or military aircraft?

civilian

Have you tried a web search? Before you do, decide whether you want Costa Rica or Puerto Rico. Many people think they are the same place but they are two different places. There is a bunch of information on both.

Good point. Although I'm more of an embedded guy so I go where they go. They said there is some training with regard to not getting kidnapped, robbed, etc.

They are going in March but I don't think I can do that trip. Thinking of going in summer. The plan is to bring the boy and shoot a segment or two.

SnikPlosskin
02-08-2012, 9:08am
Question is, SHOULD YOU?

That's a valid point. I mentioned my health issues - then it occurred to both of us: if I'm going out of the country I couldn't choose a better team - doctors and special forces. I just have to time it so I can come back and get treatment on schedule.

But if I take a dive, they have the knowledge and supplies to handle it.

They won't let me bring my AR 15....(understandable since I don't even deserve to be in the same room as SF).

I should probably do some physical conditioning too.

onedef92
02-08-2012, 10:57am

Also known as Meals Rejected by the Enemy. :D