PDA

View Full Version : The Greedy & the Needy: Chicago college offers class on Occupy movement

onedef92
02-06-2012, 11:29am
Posted: Sun, Feb. 5, 2012, 1:20 PM
Chicago college offers class on Occupy movement

CHICAGO - A Chicago college is offering a class on the Occupy movement.

Thirty-two undergraduate students are enrolled at Roosevelt University's "Occupy Everywhere" class.

It's a three-credit political science course that looks at the movement that started last summer near New York City's Wall Street and spread nationwide.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports students' assignments include reading the movement's newspaper and attending Occupy Chicago's general assembly meetings held near Roosevelt's downtown campus.

Leaders from the Chicago movement may present guest lectures.

Professor Jeff Edwards studies social movements. He says the Occupy movement has been unfolding before students and the class is a good opportunity for them.

He says they are reading a range of analysis on the movement concerned with corporate greed and the division of wealth.

Chris Fowler
02-06-2012, 11:32am
Chicago...figures.

Wanna bet they only present one side?

island14
02-06-2012, 1:30pm
I really don't know anything about these occupy people.

Do they have any valid points? or are they just a bunch of wanna be 60's protesters?

:waiting:

onedef92
02-06-2012, 1:34pm
I really don't know anything about these occupy people.

Do they have any valid points? or are they just a bunch of wanna be 60's protesters?

:waiting:

If there was a valid message, it got lost in translation six months ago.... :leaving:

GS Ragtop
02-06-2012, 2:12pm
They should invite a couple of 1% presenters so the students see both sides.

But they won't.

island14
02-06-2012, 7:33pm
If there was a valid message, it got lost in translation six months ago.... :leaving:

Hippies :toetap:

Blademaker
02-06-2012, 7:40pm

Damned hippies! - YouTube

:leaving:

mrvette
02-06-2012, 10:46pm
Damned hippies! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaJMo-YGPU)

IN REALITY, that's about it.....

serious.....

LATB
02-07-2012, 12:04am
I wonder if Roosevelt University's "Occupy Everywhere" class is gonna have segments on the economic costs of the occupy movement.

millions in damage...police...sanitation...etc.

LATB
02-07-2012, 12:07am

Damned hippies! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaJMo-YGPU)

at least the hippies paid for their own "summer of love"... or promoters supported protests & concerts...

now the taxpayers are footing the bill for these idiots.

would have been cheaper to shoot most of them and throw 'em in the river.

ft laud mike
02-07-2012, 12:13am
While I despise the occupy movement, I think the class is a good idea, maybe even interesting.... BUT, if the class is about the study of social movements, half the semester should be on the occupy movement & the other half on the teaparty movement. Both "unfolded before the students", a compare & contrast would be interesting. :cert: