Sea Six
01-15-2012, 2:07pm
1 (3 1/2-pound) Whole Chicken
3 quart(s) Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
6 Carrots, peeled
4 stalk(s) Celery, ends trimmed
3 medium Onions, peeled
5 Black Peppercorns
1 clove(s) Garlic, crushed (I like garlic... plus I have a cold... I used 3 cloves :))
10 sprig(s) Parsley
2 sprig(s) Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
2 tablespoon(s) Unsalted Butter
4 Leeks, tops and root ends removed
1 teaspoon(s) Salt
1 teaspoon(s) Fresh-Ground Pepper
3 cup(s) (5 ounces) Medium Egg Noodles

This is where I got the recipe, which I tweaked a little to produce this recipe (http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/homemade-chicken-noodle-soup-3996)

1. Make the stock: Place the chicken and chicken broth in a large stockpot and set it over medium heat.

Roughly chop 2 carrots, 2 celery ribs, and 1 onion and add to the broth.

Add the peppercorns, garlic, 2 sprigs of parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and enough water to just cover the chicken.

Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the chicken is very tender -- about 1 1/4 hours -- skimming the surface periodically.

Remove the chicken and place in a large bowl.

Strain the broth through a very fine sieve into a large, clean bowl or stockpot. Discard the vegetables.

2. Make the soup: Skim any fat off the top of the strained broth and discard.

Slice the remaining carrots, celery, onions, and leeks into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and set aside.

Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken, cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside.

Chop the remaining parsley leaves and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. (I didn't do this... I added butter directly to the warm broth in the pot)

Add the vegetables and cook until the onions are translucent -- about 7 minutes.

Add the chicken, the reserved broth, salt, and pepper.

Simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender -- about 1 hour.

Stir in the egg noodles and parsley and cook until the noodles are tender -- about 10 more minutes.

Serve hot.

I made this yesterday to help with my head cold. :)

Delicious!

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/members/sea+six-albums-junk-picture1225-chicken-soup.jpg

LisaJohn
01-16-2012, 7:25pm
Looks yummy. You all better now?

Bucwheat
01-18-2012, 2:24pm
My wife does this and throws in torn up tortillas to make sort of a dumplin.

Sea Six
01-18-2012, 11:48pm
My wife does this and throws in torn up tortillas to make sort of a dumplin.

Years ago, my Mom did this. It was outstanding!

kingpin
01-19-2012, 12:44pm
Looks good See6. :thumbsup:

I make something similar but it's an Asian fusion soup.
I use real sesame oil and hoysin sauce with a homemade chicken broth.
I also add Thai sweet hot chilie sauce and get fresh fetuchini from the grocer.
A little bok choy at the end with shredded chicken and bean sprouts to top it off.

My ex called it her miracle soup cause it always made her feel better when she was feeling under the weather.

Sea Six
01-19-2012, 1:13pm
Looks good See6. :thumbsup:

I make something similar but it's an Asian fusion soup.
I use real sesame oil and hoysin sauce with a homemade chicken broth.
I also add Thai sweet hot chilie sauce and get fresh fetuchini from the grocer.
A little bok choy at the end with shredded chicken and bean sprouts to top it off.

My ex called it her miracle soup cause it always made her feel better when she was feeling under the weather.

Cool! Have to try that.

Do you use bok Choy as if it was cabbage?

kingpin
01-19-2012, 3:14pm
Cool! Have to try that.

Do you use bok Choy as if it was cabbage?

I'm not sure what you mean by cabbage.
Bok Choy needs only a couple minutes to cook or it ends up mushy.

I use it 2 different ways.
I cut some of the thicker part of the stem like carrot sticks and put them in 5 minutes before it's done.

I will then take the leafy part with a little bit of stem and put that in right when it's done and put a lid on for a couple minutes to soften it.

Baby bok choy works well whole also. Just wash it real well. Add it the last couple minutes of cooking and it's done.

If you want to keep your brothy soups even lighter 1/2 cook your pasta in seperate water. Strain, rinse and add to soup. This way helps to keep the starch in the pasta water from thickening up your soup. Really important if you use any chinese noodles(rice noodles) to do this or you will get a slimey texture in your broth.

If you feel real adventurous and like Pho soup(vietnamese). Get a good cut of rib eye, throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes. When the soup is done and still really hot shave some of the raw meat in the soup(only use beef). Add some green onions and enjoy.

:lol: sorry to hijack your thread. I miss cooking especially now that I don't have a kitchen to cook in.

Sea Six
01-20-2012, 8:02am
I do love Pho soup thanks for the tips! I'll try it!