PDA

View Full Version : question for the gun people here..

...Whitepower...
01-08-2012, 12:33am
What do you do when you travel out of state, either flying or driving?

Do you leave your burner at home or bring it with?

Do you do your homework and research the carry laws where you are going or are you not to concerned about it.

Discuss..:waiting:

BADRACR1
01-08-2012, 12:39am
Research. Don't want to lose it or have any trouble.

RedLS1GTO
01-08-2012, 12:44am
Research. Don't want to lose it or have any trouble.

Yep.

theriver
01-08-2012, 1:04am
I've called it a heater but never a burner. Learn something new every day. :seasix:

Never took it on an airplane. Always too concerned that even if I check the airline's policy something will come up by TSA or something and then I miss the flight.

Driving across state lines dna to me thnx to that GWB policy

Nox
01-08-2012, 1:04am
I take at least one and carry it.

Sea Six
01-08-2012, 5:52am
I carry everywhere. I'm LEO so I can carry just about anywhere, but before I got my badge I still researched the states' laws I was traveling in and through.

cmb396
01-08-2012, 7:59am
I research the states, but to be honest, I've take my smoke wagon everywhere regardless. Never flown with one tho, except privately, when we take my fil's jet somewhere. I always just ask the pilot if he minds, never does.

...Whitepower...
01-08-2012, 8:18am
Driving across state lines dna to me thnx to that GWB policy

Huh?

theriver
01-08-2012, 8:36am
Huh?

Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Effect of the lawIf a person is recognized as a serving or retired law enforcement officer by the Act, then "notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof", he or she may carry a concealed firearm in any state or political subdivision thereof.[1][n 1] Thus, the LEOSA-qualified person does not generally require a state-issued permit for carrying concealed firearms".

NB2K
01-08-2012, 8:58am
Always have one in the truck, unless I am going on a military base.
I don't drive in any effed-up CommieLib state that won't allow me to have a gun in my vee-hickle.

69camfrk
01-08-2012, 9:03am
When travelling, I have it with me. An unloaded, stashed gun never helped anyone. I do have a CCW and I know that all the states I travel through don't have reciprocity, but unfortunately, it's a chance I'll take. It seems like I read in the laws one time that there was an exception for AD military or National Guard. Maybe someone will chime in on that since I don't feel like researching it right now. Flying commercial, well, just have to live without it. Don't like it, but that's life.

Blademaker
01-08-2012, 10:09am
Don't take it on a plane, but wherever any of my vehicles go, at least one gun goes with it.
Always.

...Whitepower...
01-08-2012, 10:16am
Does these guns stay in your cars while traveling on do you guys carry them on you regardless? Are they within reach ready to fire or are they in your trunk etc.

Blademaker
01-08-2012, 10:23am
Does these guns stay in your cars while traveling on do you guys carry them on you regardless? Are they within reach ready to fire or are they in your trunk etc.

XD-40 in the center console of my car or truck.

Usually have a small back-up in one of my pockets, as well as a switchblade in another.

Giraffe (He/Him)
01-08-2012, 10:27am
XD-40 in the center console of my car or truck. Usually have a small back-up in one of my pockets
You carry two gun with you?

Blademaker
01-08-2012, 10:36am
You carry two gun with you?

Sometimes

...Whitepower...
01-08-2012, 10:44am
XD-40 in the center console of my car or truck.

Usually have a small back-up in one of my pockets, as well as a switchblade in another.

You are on a road trip vacation a few stats away. Do you carry it on you when out of the car?

Blademaker
01-08-2012, 10:54am
You are on a road trip vacation a few stats away. Do you carry it on you when out of the car?

If the state has reciprocating carry laws, yes.
If no, depends on the environment of the area I'm in as to whether or not I'll slip the back-up in my pocket.

Mike Mercury
01-08-2012, 10:57am
An unloaded, stashed gun never helped anyone.

http://www.tim-yvonne.com/gif/bell1.gif

Allan
01-08-2012, 10:58am
I carry everywhere. I'm LEO so I can carry just about anywhere, but before I got my badge I still researched the states' laws I was traveling in and through.

:seasix:

Retired LEO here. Haven't touched one since I retired.

To research state laws, I strongly encourage you to go directly to that state's Attorney General website or the states' licensing authority for CCW permits for the law and reciprocity with other states, NOT some general website that offers a compilation of all the state laws. Like this one:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/files/Publications/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/Concealed-Carry.aspx

BTW - GA licensing is not recognized in the Buckeye State.

...Whitepower...
01-08-2012, 12:37pm
Retired LEO here. Haven't touched one since I retired.

Not a response i would have expected to hear. Which muni and if you don't mind me asking why have you made that decision?:waiting:

xXBUDXx
01-08-2012, 1:02pm
What do you do when you travel out of state, either flying or driving? It all depends on where I'm going, why, and how long I'm staying.

Do you do your homework and research the carry laws where you are going or are you not to concerned about it. Yes

Answers provided. :leaving:

Allan
01-08-2012, 3:36pm
Not a response i would have expected to hear. Which muni and if you don't mind me asking why have you made that decision?:waiting:

15th largest city in the US.

I've never have been a "guns & ammo" guy. The firearm was part of the job, including 2 shoot-outs - shot once (23 bullets fired - more than at the OK Corral, and IT BURNS) and in another, one shot - 10 ring.

Now, I avoid areas I had to work in and/or was required to frequent. All of which had a high "probably" of the of use deadly force.

Yes, I was in the Army. Unless one is in the military in a jungle or some shithole mid-east desert where there is a known, discernable enemy what is the training? Let me proffer the vast majority have no comprehension of training & skill involved to function in a high stress situation, and having a gun put in your face quickly becomes a high stress situation, nor the resulting consequences.

Neither I nor my family enjoyed reading our last name on the front page of the newspaper or watching the news . . . for days at a time and on more than one occasion.

Best home firearm - Remington 870 shotgun using buckshot. Of course, that's what police use. Very reliable and not a lot of profeciency involved for a novice awakened from a sound sleep by a burglar. Just point, shoot then call the police.

Jeff '79
01-08-2012, 4:08pm
15th largest city in the US.

I've never have been a "guns & ammo" guy. The firearm was part of the job, including 2 shoot-outs - shot once (23 bullets fired - more than at the OK Corral, and IT BURNS) and in another, one shot - 10 ring.

Now, I avoid areas I had to work in and/or was required to frequent. All of which had a high "probably" of the of use deadly force.

Yes, I was in the Army. Unless one is in the military in a jungle or some shithole mid-east desert where there is a known, discernable enemy what is the training? Let me proffer the vast majority have no comprehension of training & skill involved to function in a high stress situation, and having a gun put in your face quickly becomes a high stress situation, nor the resulting consequences.

Neither I nor my family enjoyed reading our last name on the front page of the newspaper or watching the news . . . for days at a time and on more than one occasion.

Best home firearm - Remington 870 shotgun using buckshot. Of course, that's what police use. Very reliable and not a lot of profeciency involved for a novice awakened from a sound sleep by a burglar. Just point, shoot then call the police.

Wow, man....You've seen the shit...I agree totally about staying out of high probability danger areas, but when I collect rent now, I just want someone with me, and, as that is not usually possible, a pistol is the next best thing....A Remington 870 hu ?..Coming from you, I'll take that to heart..I just happen to have one for just such an occasion, but I feel that a pistol is always good, and more convenient to have around....Keeping a shotgun close is not always "convenient", as a pistol would be...
I see your point totally though. When I changed jobs within my company, I no longer needed a cell phone...Once it was gone, I never got another, and realized what a total PITA it was to have 24/7....I know it's not the same, but relatively speaking, pretty close.

Prosecutor
01-08-2012, 10:16pm
What do I do when I travel?....I carry.

My NC concealed carry permit is honored in most states with CCW permits. On the few occasions that I pass through shit hole states like Maryland and Illinois, it is unloaded, locked, and disassembled in the trunk.

I have flown with a firearm many, many, dozens of times and never had a bit of trouble. I just check it and pick it up when I land without issues. Airline personnel have always known how to handle the situation.

AU Eagle
01-08-2012, 10:27pm
BTW - GA licensing is not recognized in the Buckeye State.

Yup and a Utah permit takes care of that, planning on getting that soon and most of those southern states are taken care of.

But back to the OP, I research the laws, but always have a gun wherever I go.

RedLS1GTO
01-08-2012, 11:11pm
Let me proffer the vast majority have no comprehension of training & skill involved to function in a high stress situation, and having a gun put in your face quickly becomes a high stress situation, nor the resulting consequences.

While I agree with that comment when directed at the general public, it seems that on this forum we have a high percentage of our "gun guys" that are either current or former LE/Mil types, many of which have lived through those high stress situations at some point in our lives.

Given the choice, I would rather have my face all over the television as someone who killed a person in self defense than to have my picture up in memorial with my friends and family talking about what a great person I was, posthumously.

Nox
01-08-2012, 11:20pm
I have flown with a firearm many, many, dozens of times and never had a bit of trouble. I just check it and pick it up when I land without issues. Airline personnel have always known how to handle the situation.

I have had very little trouble with weapons when I fly. Most of the times, the airline counter and TSA are pretty aware of what needs to be done. On that last trip to Charlotte, when we had lunch, I was somewhat surprised. At LAX outbound, I told both the TSA and the check-in counter I had a weapon, and they had no interest in seeing it. Yet, on my return flight through Charlotte, I had to show it at the flight counter, and then accompany my bag and show it to TSA all over again. Go figure... I thought they would really have a cow at LAX, but they could have cared less.

Allan
01-09-2012, 7:00pm
Given the choice, I would rather have my face all over the television as someone who killed a person in self defense than to have my picture up in memorial with my friends and family talking about what a great person I was, posthumously.

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Maybe this will help.

Violent confrontations lead to increase in police shootings[/SIZE][/B][/B]

Sunday January 8, 2012 11:32 AM

The Columbus Division of Police reported 19 shootings by officers in 2011, the second-highest total in the past 15 years. Eight of the people shot were killed, the most in any year since 1997, division records show.

And the confrontations leading to police shootings haven’t ebbed as this new year begins, with two people shot in the first week of 2012.

A 19-year-old man was shot and injured by police who responded to gunfire on the Near East Side on Wednesday; a 36-year-old man was fatally shot early Friday after police say he struck an officer with his SUV during an auto-parts-theft investigation.

“We’re not the ones choosing to do this,” said Sgt. Rich Weiner, a Police Division spokesman. “ The suspect has chosen to do something that necessitates our using that kind of force.”

Last year’s police-involved shootings peaked in August, when six people were shot, four of them fatally.

During the past 15 years, police have averaged

13.5 police-involved shootings per year, according to division records. The number has been trending mostly upward since 1997, records show. The highest total since then was 21 in 2008.

More U.S. officers were killed by firearms last year than in traffic fatalities for the first time in 14 years, said Steve Groeninger, senior director of communications and marketing for the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

According to the group, 177 law-enforcement officers across the country were killed in the line of duty last year. Seventy-one died in gun violence, 64 in traffic crashes, and 42 in other incidents. Firearms-related deaths rose 20 percent from 2010.

Noting those numbers and the frequency of deadly ambushes of police last year, Groeninger said police work is growing more dangerous.

Sgt. Jim Gilbert, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. 9, said that seems to be the case in central Ohio, where suspects appear to be more willing than ever to confront and assault officers.

“There are things that should be looked at beyond just officer-involved shootings,” Gilbert said.

“It seems like the bad guys are more brazen,” Weiner said.

Police are not cavalier in using deadly force, he said. Officers go through rigorous training to react along a use-of-force continuum that changes as a suspect’s actions escalate, he said. Deadly force comes last on that arc.

“It’s still a human life, and you think of it that way,” Weiner said.

In his work with the grass-roots group Men for the Movement, Cecil Ahad speaks directly to some of the most at-risk young men in Columbus. He also counts police officers among his friends.

“I know they’re not out here wanting to shoot nobody,” he said.

He sees the police-involved shootings as a symptom of the rift between the police and the community, and of the desperation of young men who believe they have little to live for.

The people who are aggressively confronting police are dealing with poverty, frustration, mental illness and a loss of hope, he said.

A cultural shift away from violence as an accepted form of conflict resolution would require teamwork involving government agencies, police and members of the community, he said.

“Some of these guys out here now, they don’t care,” Ahad said. “They think they don’t have much longer to live.”

Some, he suspects, see death by police gunfire as a way out.

“They want to escape,” he said. “It’s that bad. It’s that kind of mentality out here.

“We call this the ‘culture of death.’ ”

[email protected]

...Whitepower...
01-09-2012, 8:25pm
I posted this after having read the article below a few days ago.

Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller (http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/marine-faces-fifteen-years-behind-bars-for-unknowingly-violating-gun-law/)

themonk
01-09-2012, 8:31pm
What do you do when you travel out of state, either flying or driving?

Do you do your homework and research the carry laws where you are going or are you not to concerned about it.

Burner? I thought you colored folk called them gats :confused:

erickpl
01-10-2012, 8:50am
As a responsible gun owner, it is our duty to be knowledgeable of what is required wherever we intend to carry or transport. It has already been stated that you need to do the research for those areas you plan to travel.

Now whether people do that is another story. Unfortunately, to see my family I have to go through No Man's Land... err Illinois. By law I need to stop in Paducah before crossing into IL to move my firearm to the trunk and comply with IL law. I know several people who travel through there but don't.

Doesn't mean I like it. But given the reduced speed limit and how I don't necessarily adjust my cruise control accordingly, better to comply with that then to get stopped for a speeding ticket and have my 1911 found on my hip or lie about where it is.

If it is posted to not carry, I won't... or I'll go somewhere else.

To Allan, I respect your experiences and your point of view, but your post almost sounded like you don't think most people are capable mentally/emotionally to carry if they haven't had experiences like yours. Maybe I just read it wrong though.

OddBall
01-10-2012, 9:06am

Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller (http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/marine-faces-fifteen-years-behind-bars-for-unknowingly-violating-gun-law/)

They gotta arrest somebody to show their laws work.

And since criminals just aren't complying like they should...

allthrottleandsomebottle
01-10-2012, 11:08am
I look the states laws up on line and if I have a question, I call the state police of that state. They have always been helpful and I have a name & # incase the WCS happens while I am in their state :seasix:

NB2K
01-10-2012, 11:13am

New York gun laws are an embarrassment to the Constitution.

New York residents should hang their heads in shame, if they are allowed to do so.

khblair
01-10-2012, 11:39am
when i fly i leave it at home (im usually flying internationally and its not worth it). when i drive i research the states im traveling thru and lock it up if i need to

except when we had to take a detour and went thru illinois... that was nerve wracking

...Whitepower...
01-10-2012, 12:05pm
w
except when we had to take a detour and went thru illinois... that was nerve wracking
Why was it so nerve racking?

AU Eagle
01-10-2012, 12:16pm
Why was it so nerve racking?

Well, especially if you are going through Chicago...you aren't allowed to have a gun period...I think there is a clause though that says you can have it unloaded and locked up if you are spending less than 24 hours there. I could be wrong though.

...Whitepower...
01-10-2012, 12:35pm
Well, especially if you are going through Chicago...you aren't allowed to have a gun period...I think there is a clause though that says you can have it unloaded and locked up if you are spending less than 24 hours there. I could be wrong though.

Why the dependence on a gun to the point where its nerve raking without it though? Why do you have to have it all the time? You go out of state for three or four days and you dont leave it at home. This isn't directed to just her but a general question for everyone.

Thats what i am curious about. Especially after a couple of you mention that you you dont research the laws as much as you should when you travel. That's a huge risk to take.

I should have been more clear.

NB2K
01-10-2012, 1:40pm
It is not nerve-racking for me to be w/o one. I do live in America after all.

It is sad and disappointing to see America's citizens let their Constitution become emasculated, though.

Organized crime is alive and well in Chicago and New York, two of the toughest gun control cities in the nation.

AU Eagle
01-10-2012, 1:55pm
Why the dependence on a gun to the point where its nerve raking without it though? Why do you have to have it all the time? You go out of state for three or four days and you dont leave it at home. This isn't directed to just her but a general question for everyone.

Thats what i am curious about. Especially after a couple of you mention that you you dont research the laws as much as you should when you travel. That's a huge risk to take.

I should have been more clear.

It was nerve wracking for Kim because she had to take an unplanned detour through a state that is not gun friendly.

I don't think she meant it was nerve wracking that she didn't have her gun, just that she didn't plan on going to Illinois and she had her gun.

I don't have my gun on me all the time, but I do most of the time. After you carry for a while, it gets to the point that you don't even know its there. It is like carrying your cell phone...you get used to it being there.

...Whitepower...
01-10-2012, 2:18pm
It was nerve wracking for Kim because she had to take an unplanned detour through a state that is not gun friendly.

I don't think she meant it was nerve wracking that she didn't have her gun, just that she didn't plan on going to Illinois and she had her gun.

I don't have my gun on me all the time, but I do most of the time. After you carry for a while, it gets to the point that you don't even know its their. It is like carrying your cell phone...you get used to it being there.

OK. Next question then. Would you extend a road trip a couple hundred miles to bypass a state just to bring a gun with you?

Btw I give alot of credit for observing the law and doing what she did.:seasix:

AU Eagle
01-10-2012, 2:24pm
OK. Next question then. Would you extend a road trip a couple hundred miles to bypass a state just to bring a gun with you?

No, I think that is a little ridiculous. But I do know a lot of people that would, some people can't go to the toilet without having their gun by their side.

JStockton
01-10-2012, 3:26pm
I was pulled over for speeding the other day, I handed the officer my drivers license and my CCL, told him I was not carrying at the time. He ran all the numbers, tags, etc and then issued me a warning, he was pretty nice guy so I asked him the procedure and if I had done it correctly, and what to do if I had been carrying, the thing I took note of was he said that if I had been carrying he would have removed the gun and then been very nervous because if you have one on you, you probably have another one within reach. I found that pretty interesting.

He was a really nice guy and we talked for half an hour about weapons, he was very "pro carry".

khblair
01-10-2012, 3:34pm

Btw I give alot of credit for observing the law and doing what she did.:seasix:

because the interstate was closed due to Missouri river flooding and we didnt have a choice. it was a pretty but very long detour . we were headed to nebraska and illinois was not on the trip plan.

it was nerve wracking becuase we were in a pickup truck with no trunk to lock the gun up (as it should have been while driving thru that state) and i didnt bring my gun case as i had not planned on needing it.

C5Nate
01-10-2012, 4:28pm
Why the dependence on a gun to the point where its nerve raking without it though? Why do you have to have it all the time?

How would you feel if you were car jacked at an intersection and they took off with your wife?

If you had your gun, you could have stopped or prevented this.

Knowing you are not allowed to protect yourself due to some insane government mandate makes it nerve racking.

I would much rather have it and not use it then to need it and not have it.