PDA

View Full Version : ok if its not one thing....

MYSCZ06
03-20-2010, 11:15pm
Its another... :slap: ok on my way home tonight from a CHL/CCW class my passenger head light went ....well limp..lol its got a lazy eye it opens and closes just fine and when closed its tight but when up it sits about 2-3 inches lower and is loose you can lift it up to where it should be let go and it falls... its too dark to mess with it tonight but anyone here have any idea what to look at first..thanks!

Cobra4B
03-20-2010, 11:19pm
My first guess would be a stripped gear, but typically those manifest via a grinding noise when lowering the lights.

Munch
03-21-2010, 8:18am
I'm guessing you lost a few teeth on your gear.

MYSCZ06
03-21-2010, 9:23am
hmm guess I need to get in there see what they gears are looking like...is that possible or is it enclosed? best place to get replacement gears? gmparts wharehouse?

Munch
03-21-2010, 9:42am
If you're going to inspect the gears you pretty much should plan on replacing them while you're in there.

step 1... remove the four #25 torx that hold on the painted headlight cover.
step 2... There are four 10mm bolts that hold the motor in. Its easier if you have a deep socket and a 1/4" drive...
step 3... Remove motor and pry open the case...
step 4... Remove & Replace gear (make sure your lube properly)
step 5... Epoxy the cover back and reinstall.

They make some brass gears that won't strip etc which is what everyone uses as replacements but I'm not sure where to get them.

Z06PDQ
03-21-2010, 10:35am
Corvette C5 Headlight Motor Gears by Rodney Dickman (http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/vettegears/)

MYSCZ06
03-21-2010, 10:41am
Well it appears that when I put my new headlights in and I re-installed the arm pin the weird locking washer has come off and that ans the pin are gone so when the head light goes up the arm slides further up into the housing allowing it to drop...well that's what I gather is going on after quick inspection will now more when I pull the head light apart...oh and some how I tore a 2 ft small section of belt off my new set up too....1 rib and about 2 ft long....like I said one thing or another....lol

Munch
03-21-2010, 12:30pm
Glad it wasn't the gear.

Maybe you need to go out and sacrifice a virgin to the gods or something? :leaving:

MYSCZ06
03-21-2010, 1:02pm
Yea right!...lol

vettex2
03-21-2010, 1:31pm
Well it appears that when I put my new headlights in and I re-installed the arm pin the weird locking washer has come off and that ans the pin are gone so when the head light goes up the arm slides further up into the housing allowing it to drop...well that's what I gather is going on after quick inspection will now more when I pull the head light apart...oh and some how I tore a 2 ft small section of belt off my new set up too....1 rib and about 2 ft long....like I said one thing or another....lol

I lost both pins within a week
I replaced them with bolts and poly-lock nuts

MYSCZ06
03-21-2010, 7:28pm
ok well its all fixed...again...lol

I got a new pin for the headlight and a cotter pin installed functioning properly!

I got a new smaller diameter tensioner pulley the reason for this is because the 5.00 charger pulley was actually rubbing the tensioner pulley since it was so big it left little room to tighten it up and it was rubbing....but its all fixed and buttoned up...hope thats all the excitement for the time being I have a long road trip to Missouri then onto South Carolina dont need stuff breaking!!

Tulsa Vette Guy
04-05-2010, 8:37am
Corvette C5 Headlight Motor Gears by Rodney Dickman (http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/vettegears/)

Yes, That is where I got my kit from, about $47.00, All brass gears, a complete kit to do one headlight. :above:

MYSCZ06
04-05-2010, 7:09pm
awe new brake pads are needed now....lol they started making little bit of noise on whay to SC..guess I will use this thread to outline my issues ....lol

Z06PDQ
04-05-2010, 7:16pm
awe new brake pads are needed now....lol they started making little bit of noise on whay to SC..guess I will use this thread to outline my issues ....lol

I did mime myself. Midas quoted me $700. I said "I believe I can beat that." I just did the fronts.the backs are still good.. had to buy two rotors.it was about $175 total. more $$ for :beer:

Garb55
04-05-2010, 7:39pm
I did mime myself. Midas quoted me $700. I said "I believe I can beat that." I just did the fronts.the backs are still good.. had to buy two rotors.it was about $175 total. more $$ for :beer:
:above:
more $$ for :beer:::thumbs::cheers::beer::yesnod:

MYSCZ06
04-06-2010, 5:47pm
yea plan on doing mine myself also...did them right when I first bought the car I believe I have hawks on there last 32k or so. I have gotten pretty good at doing a lot of my on preventive maintenance