PDA

View Full Version : I learned something new the hard way... (coolant/radiator tip)

Cobra4B
03-06-2010, 5:49pm
I've changed the coolant in a C5 countless times... most of the time is was when I had the Dewitts radiator in my Z06 w/ a traditional petcock.

Last night I was flushing the coolant in my red vert and learned the hard way that if you pull the petcock out too much it'll come all the way out... and that 200+ degree coolant burns a wee bit.

I had flushed the coolant and accidentally overfilled it when bleeding the air because I mistook a line in the coolant tank, from age, for the level. I couldn't find my garage turkey baster to suck some out so I decided to drain a smidge out the bottom... in doing so the petcock came all the way out of the radiator...

After much cursing I put it back together and re-filled, re-bled it all, then had to clean up a garage floor covered in coolant/water.

Fun times....

-B

Garb55
03-06-2010, 9:31pm
I have been battling the Radiator challenge as well! Thanks...

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/c5-z06-open-discussion/2052-replacement-radiator.html#post25983

Tulsa Vette Guy
03-20-2010, 3:05pm
Bummer,, well we do learn the hard way,, But Remember:cheers:

WKMCD
03-20-2010, 4:11pm
Reminds me of the time I changed the oil and the o-ring on the filter stayed on the car. I installed the new filter with it's own new o-ring and snugged it up. When I backed the car out of the garage I noticed a big trail of oil on the garage floor. I immediately shut it down but not until about 4 quarts of oil dumped on the garage floor and in my driveway. I always check the filter for the o-ring now.

Eagleeye
03-20-2010, 5:43pm
Must be the moon !!! Did my antifreeze change and somehow over-filled and still looking for my baster.......

Munch
03-20-2010, 8:41pm
Here's my coolant tip. If you're draining or pulling a hose or whatever and the coolant is still hot... Don't wear mechanics gloves because the hot coolant will soak in to the glove and then you can't get the glove off and it will cook the bejesus out of your hand.

PortDawg
03-20-2010, 10:32pm
It really must be the moon... was replacing the brake pads. Wasn't watching the little tabs on the back brakes and had to take a wheel back off to pull the caliper off to put the correct pad in place.

lutzdog
03-24-2010, 7:36am
were you wearing your glasses?

PortDawg
03-27-2010, 1:23am
yes...:slap:

Vet4jdc
03-27-2010, 5:41am
Reminds me of the time I changed the oil and the o-ring on the filter stayed on the car. I installed the new filter with it's own new o-ring and snugged it up. When I backed the car out of the garage I noticed a big trail of oil on the garage floor. I immediately shut it down but not until about 4 quarts of oil dumped on the garage floor and in my driveway. I always check the filter for the o-ring now.

happened to me once! :yesnod:

Z06PDQ
03-27-2010, 6:44am
Here's my coolant tip. If you're draining or pulling a hose or whatever and the coolant is still hot... Don't wear mechanics gloves because the hot coolant will soak in to the glove and then you can't get the glove off and it will cook the bejesus out of your hand.

sounds like that is another lesson learned the "hard way." :D

Toque
04-08-2010, 6:55pm
So when draining your coolant fluid you turn the peacock thingey 1/4 turn right and pull out slightly? Open the cap on the reservoir under the hood.

Once its all drained out and the peacock thingey is tight again, fill coolant into the reservoir. How do I know when its full ? Do I need to start the car and refill as it circulates thru the car ?

Thanks !
Toque

Munch
04-08-2010, 7:06pm
My petcock didn't need to be pulled out, it is like a screw and backs out by itself. Don't use too much force opening or closing it because it's kinda flimsy.

Fill up the reservoir to the fill line.
Start the engine and turn the heat on in the car.
Idle engine for 1 minute.
Install surge tank cap.
Cycle the RPM, idle to 3000 in 30 second intervals until engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F). Or your normal operating temp.
Shut off the engine.
remove the surge tank cap. Release pressure first!
Start the engine.
Idle engine for 1 minute and fill surge tank to 1/2 inch above COLD FULL mark on the radiator surge tank.
Install the surge tank cap.
Cycle the RPM, idle to 3000 in 30 second intervals until engine coolant reaches 99°C (210°F). Or your normal operating temp.
Shut off the engine.
Top off coolant as necessary, 1/2 inch above FULL COLD mark on the radiator surge tank.
Drive it like you stole it and check temps and coolant level.:cheers:

Th1
04-08-2010, 7:36pm
This has happened to me before as well(although on my STI) dont feel to bad, just chaulk it off to a lesson learned...

Toque
04-08-2010, 8:44pm
My petcock didn't need to be pulled out, it is like a screw and backs out by itself. Don't use too much force opening or closing it because it's kinda flimsy.

Fill up the reservoir to the fill line.
Start the engine and turn the heat on in the car.
Idle engine for 1 minute.
Install surge tank cap.
Shut off the engine.
remove the surge tank cap. Release pressure first!
Start the engine.
Idle engine for 1 minute and fill surge tank to 1/2 inch above COLD FULL mark on the radiator surge tank.
Install the surge tank cap.
Shut off the engine.
Top off coolant as necessary, 1/2 inch above FULL COLD mark on the radiator surge tank.
Drive it like you stole it and check temps and coolant level.:cheers:

Wow thanks ! I'll be using this as soon as i get the other stuff done to my car.

Toque

pops98
04-13-2010, 8:12pm
Munch, Thanks for the write-up. I will be doing my in the near future